Bulgasal: Immortal Souls 불가살 [2021 - 2022]

:pandathink:

Well, I think in the end everything will reset i.e. Sang Woon will return to be the Bulgasal and Eul Tae, the original owner of the soul, will be destroyed forever—breaking his karma/fate with all of his family. 

1000 years ago, Eul Tae killed his brother and blamed it on the Bulgasals which led to his family (past lives of Detective, Shi Ho and Dong Yoon) attacking the Bulgasal.

The rest is me guessing the last bit:

Perhaps Bulgasals were never meant to be harmful beings in the first place and they never suck human blood until Eul Tae came along. They were immortals feeding on animals. Bulgasal Hwal always love Lady Bulgasal but he doesn't understand emotions so he has no empathy towards humans and killed them cold-bloodedly because humans were trying to kill the both of them that night. However, Lady Bulgasal doesn't want to harm humans, and I also suspect Lady Bulgasal is sick of being sterile and lonely (There was a flashback of her with children) stabbed her own heart to end it all. To save her, Hwal gave his power temporary to Eul Tae.

Since Hwal was born human 600 years ago. He learnt to love and have emotions so he is no longer the same Bulgasal he was before and thus, this time he and Sang Woon both being Bulgasal again make sense and they'll be able to watch over Shi Ho and Dong Yoon until they reincarnate and another hundreds of years down the track they all will reunite.

• Like 2

I think the last few episodes were a bit tough to get through because they dragged on many things. Considering the set up, I think the ending was the best way to wrap it up. I loved that Si Ho and Do Yoon were able to continued living and eventually started/raised their own families. 

To sum up, Si Ho and Do Yoon were the children Lady Bulgasal saved 1000 years ago. Lady Bulgasal left Bulgasal Hwal for many years to help raise the children with the shaman lady. Si Ho and Do Yoon were harvesting herbs and saw Eul Tae kill his brother, who tried to kill them. Lady Bulgasal saved them but when Eul Tae returned home, he lied and said Lady Bulgasal killed his brother. The villagers went on a hunt to kill Lady Bulgasal. Bulgasal Hwal came and killed all the villagers plus attacked the children Lady Bulgasal raised. He was trying to protect Lady Bulgasal and saw the humans as a threat. To stop his hatred toward humans from growing, Lady Bulgasal stabbed her own heart (Bulgasal Hwal's was already damaged by the stabbing of Eul Tae's father and the children -- during these stabbings were when Bulgasal Hwal cursed them, bad leg, cannot bear a child, and born blind). Lady Bulgasal thought that this would kill both of them but Eul Tae came to save Bulgasal Hwal. That's when they swap -- Bulgasal Hwal became a human and Eul Tae became a Bulgasal. Thus became the beginning of this 1000 years curse....

Thank you @mademoiselle and @goemul for sticking through this drama to the end with me! It was a long ride and it's finally over. Lee Joon was a gem in this drama and I found myself getting bored when he was around that much in an episode. He was the perfect villain, someone who you loved to hate but couldn't. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, goemul said:

Well...that was underwhelming lol there are so many questions I have but honestly I just have no energy left, I'm just glad it's over.

Hahaha! Yeah, the last few episodes were starting to get really exhausting. The connection between all the characters was a bit anticlimactic, right? :psweatduck:

The end of the two Bulgasals. 

Bulgasal-17.gif

• Like 2

I actually liked the finale episode except the ending where they reincarnated and meet again because Bulgasal doesn't have a soul so Hwal cannot possibly reincarnate. So logically it should be Sang Woon gives the soul back to Eul Tae and destroyed his soul once and for all, and she and Hwal become Bulgasal again and is able to go home (AS THEY PROMISED) to Shi Ho and Dong Yoon.

But... the writer just had to make Hwal Bulgasal the one who cursed Dong Yoon, Shi Ho and Detective's past lives so no matter what he had to die to break the curse. Tsk.

Ah well... it's over. I'm over it too. Overall, I still think the drama is not as bad compared to some I've seen or dropped. Just too draggy and redundant with the unnecessary stabbing. Lee Joon gave an outstanding performance till the end although his end felt anticlimatic but the tears he shed when Hwal drained him dry was beautiful and well done. Gong Seung Yeon was wasted in here though. Hope she got a better offer/character next time.

BTS for E13-14

• Clapping Hands 2