Bulgasal: Immortal Souls 불가살 [2021 - 2022]

21 hours ago, Tofu said:

Because you never got to Lee Joon's part and might never get there, here's an edit of his scenes. LOL!!

Thank you! I've barely made it through the 2nd episode and I'm struggling to start the 3rd, even though I know that is when Lee Joon is supposed to make his entrance. I have to tell you that I don't really care about the OTP at all.

But the montage makes me want to just ff and watch his scenes. He looks so good!

18 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Found this on Weibo and ... I just had to share!

Thanks! That is so awesome!

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Hello I just finished episode 6 but I have some issues. 
The story is really good, the cinematography is great , the acting is good somewhat . To be honest I am not obsessed/ hooked with this drama. I tend to FFW a lot in this drama. 

I choose to continue only for Lee Jin Wook, Lee Joon , Gong Seung-yeon and Park Myung Shin.

I am invested in finding out why Dan Hwal was cursed, why is Eul Tae so furious with the soul of Sang-Un.

I feel the actress isn’t doing Sang justice and I can already see they want to pair DH and Sang Un together but it kinda bothers me a lot. 

Kwon Hi-Yeol is just annoying as Nadm Do Yun is. I can’t connect with any of them. I do admit they are funny sometimes but I don’t get why we need comic relief for this drama. This drama is too intense for when they use the comic relief it feels out of place. 

TBH I feel bad for DH because he losses his family and never get the chance to be with one’s he has longed for. It is so sad to see. 

Another thing It is starting to look like Sang Eun may actually be a new soul or the original soul that has been reincarnated. She doesn’t have a scar, doesn’t have the memories of the past. She continues to out herself and her sister at risk knowing  full well there is a man out there who wants her dead.  Her actions are just annoying. The fact she doesn’t hate DH but already likes him is proof that she is a different soul. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Now that it's later in the evening, I think I'm done processing what happened in episode nine. Haha! 

It was revealed that Hwal's adopted father is the father of Eul Tae one thousand years ago. Eul Tae and Hwal were both humans before they became a Bulgasal. It doesn't tell us how Eul Tae became a Bulgasal so I'm curious to know how that happened. Did he go through a similar event like Hwal? Or did he strike a deal with someone? In some ways, I feel a little bad for him because he was abandoned by his father for being sick. I shouldn't be surprised but I am by a little of his lack of reaction to the detective. I guess a part of me thought that if Eul Tae was human, he should still have some human emotions...right? 

In the flashback, I'm reluctant to think that Lady Bulgasal is bad like Eul Tae is making her out to be. She stopped Eul Tae from attacking the people who saw him kill his brother. She can't be all bad if she did that and also helped Hwal when he was younger. 

I'm proud Do Yoon continued to stay true to himself and not bring Sang Un to Eul Tae. He's a good kid who just want a family. Ugh, Eul Tae...why?! I think he knew Do Yoon is A-Chan, why else would he keep him around after his brother died? My heart definitely went out to Do Yoon in this episode. :letalQQ:

I hope that nothing happens to Do Yoon so Hwal can do all the things he regret not doing -- holding his son's hand and embracing him. 

Bulgasal-09v3-T.gif

Bulgasal-08v3-T.gif

Seriously, but also not seriously, if they harm Do Yoon, I don't know if I can continue watching Hwal get torture over and over again like this. :pandasadspoon:

• Like 2

Hahahaha @Tofu I watched episode 9, I didn't think it was that bad. I don't think Do Yoon will die. He's stabbed but that doesn't mean stab = death. Eul Tae shed a tear when he stabbed him so I do think he likes Do Yoon but he's just so jadded somehow and must be hurt that everyone abandon him in the end, even Do Yoon, whom he "met" first and "treated" nice to.

It's surprising to find out 1000 years ago, Detective was Eul Tae's father. This probably explained why he didn't want to kill him and potentially also explained why he killed the Detective's father who tried to poison him and his sister. He thinks Bulgasal/Eul Tae killed his sister but perhaps the sad truth was he was trying to protect them... and how can Detective blamed it on Bulgasal when the sister just bled and passed out in his arms? There had to be more to this that what was shown.

The revelation of Do Yoon being A-Chan's reincarnation is so predictable. I can see why Hwal thought the baby in Shi Ho's womb is A-Chan instead of his daughter. This guy seriously wasted 600 years of his life! If I were him I'd at least seek them out and protect them or something... but he's all "la-la-la" I see/hear/know nothing. :PikachuFacePalm:

And lol @Tofu I see no change in Hwal's fashion. He's cleaner yes but I was fully expecting a makeover due to Shi Ho :laugh: I doubt it. 600 years ago he was just as dirty as he is now. I'd be happy if they show us he took showers EVERYDAY. LOL LOL.

Now ... I'm confused... I didn't expect Eul Tae to be human too! So there is only one Bulgasal then but somehow it became two. Don't tell me The Soul is actually Eul Tae himself! Since in order to be Bulgasal, one needs to lose its soul. Hence the ill-fated connection between them. :pandathink:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

He's cleaner yes

At this point, I am happy if his hair is combed. Haha! I think the clothes in this drama is lacking a bit but I guess if you're getting stabbed, choked, or attacked in some way, you can't really wear expensive clothes. 😅

He's stabbed but that doesn't mean stab = death

That's true but I don't want history to repeat itself. They talked about those who have reincarnated living the same life, so I don't want Do Yoon to suffer the same fate as A-Chan. I would like to see a reunion between father and son. 

Now that it's confirmed Do Yoon is A-Chan, Si Ho can probably read his memories to find out what happened. Does A-Chan being blind means that she won't be able to see his memories? Maybe she'll hear the sounds in his memories instead?

how can Detective blamed it on Bulgasal when the sister just bled and passed out in his arms?

That happened to the shaman too, didn't it? Hwal's senses came on, her nose started bleeding, and then she died. 

Now ... I'm confused... I didn't expect Eul Tae to be human too! So there is only one Bulgasal then but somehow it became two. Don't tell me The Soul is actually Eul Tae himself! Since in order to be Bulgasal, one needs to lose its soul. Hence the ill-fated connection between them.

I think it's possible that there may still be two Bulgasals. If there was only one, how did Lady Bulgasal continued to be a bulgasal after Eul Tae became one? Can The Soul belong to Eul Tae's brother -- he was good at killing Monsters too. I guess we will find out next week, because you know how this goes. If one episode revealed a lot, the next episode will not have much. Hahaha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Tofu I'm wondering how Hwal manage to subdue Eul Tae in the next episode coz we see him stepping on Eul Taei's arm in the preview. He's weaker than Eul Tae so how...? Unless Eul Tae tried to hurt Sang Woon again and it gave him pain. LOL, at this rate, Sang Woon just needs to stab herself (in area that's not lethal to her) and it will immobilise Eul Tae and Hwal can kill him (somehow)...

4 hours ago, Tofu said:

Can The Soul belong to Eul Tae's brother -- he was good at killing Monsters too. I guess we will find out next week, because you know how this goes. If one episode revealed a lot, the next episode will not have much.

I thought of that too. I think it's possible.

Or...

Long long time ago, there were two Bulgasal - man and woman - and they are a pair. Somehow Eul Tae's soul took over the Male Bulgasal's body and Eul Tae became a Bulgasal.

4 hours ago, Tofu said:

That happened to the shaman too, didn't it? Hwal's senses came on, her nose started bleeding, and then she died. 

Which shaman dies?? I thought the only shaman is Halmoni?

New Stills

Spoiler

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm wondering how Hwal manage to subdue Eul Tae in the next episode coz we see him stepping on Eul Taei's arm in the preview.

He did it in a Hwal type of way. Haha! This drama is all about stabbing/cutting and recovering. Hahaha! 

12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Which shaman dies?? I thought the only shaman is Halmoni?

The monster that became a shaman. Sorry, I forgot to include that minor, but also major, detail. 😅

I don't know how both of you feel about episode 10, but I don't think a lot happened. It was expected, but I didn't realized they would stop to talk that much with each other. What about saving Do Yoon? Haha! 

I think the one thing I enjoyed was seeing Eul Tae's human side. I don't know how real it is, but it was a nice contrast to the psycho villain we've seen. It does make me wonder if the reason he is so desperate for The Soul is so he can finally die. 

Eul Tae was confirmed to be the one behind the death of Sol and A-Chan. Hwal will need to power up if he wants to go against Eul Tae. 

In the preview, it's still a little strange to see romance in this drama because of how chaotic everything is. How will Sang Un feel when she finds out about Si Ho's past life? And did Hwal did something to Lady Bulgasal? 

Next week will have a happier ending for these two, right? :yoongibtspls:

Bulgasal-10v2-T.gif

• Like 2

@Tofu I fell asleep watching E10 and had to go back. I was already lack of sleep from the night before and like you said, they talked too much and the plot was super draggy like soap opera :lmao2:. I reckon this episode can just skip to the near end where Eul Tae and Monster Secretary have their last conversation. That said, I did really enjoy Lee Joon's acting/crying in every scenes. I can't hate him and neither can I hate him as a villain. LOL. He showcase Eul Tae's inner struggle really well. On the contrary, Lee Jin Wook's Hwal became boring in comparison. Eul Tae does like Do Yoon but I guess in the grand scheme of things, he's still got his priority so stab stab... LOLLLL.

I don't think Do Yoon will die. This idol kid is also pretty good but I'm not yet that interested in him to find out which idol group he's from :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 1/14/2022 at 10:00 AM, UnniSara said:

Her actions are just annoying. The fact she doesn’t hate DH but already likes him is proof that she is a different soul

Her selflessness and trust in others and whole attitude in general is too over the top that I can't take her serious and it makes her look really stupid and naive for most of the time. Idk how they managed to make their female lead the least appealing character in the show.  Especially her relationship with Hwal is so unbelieveable unless it was their intention to portray stockholm syndrome lol.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:42 PM, mademoiselle said:

Finally Shi Ho is reading SW's soul memory.

About damn time, it was killing me that they didn't make proper use of her powers.

21 hours ago, Tofu said:

I didn't realized they would stop to talk that much with each other. What about saving Do Yoon?

Me neither, that actually bugged me so much, like I thought he was going to go absolutely feral, this is the son he wanted to avenge for 600 years and instead I'm watching him sit in a car and talk.

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I can't hate him and neither can I hate him as a villain. LOL.

It's hard to hate him when they make him the most interesting character and Lee Joon delivering the best performance out of everyone :popcorn: (not saying the other actors are bad, I haven't seen their previous stuff and Gong Seungyeon's performance from ep 1 is still one of my favorites in the show but Joon gets the best material to work with that allows him to show off his acting chops, while the others...not so much.)

Edited by goemul
  • Like 3

I can't hate him and neither can I hate him as a villain.

Agreed. I think it's hard to dislike him because there's so much depth, 1000 years of pain and struggles. I don't think one can be happy watching everyone around them grow old and die, yet they remain the same. It doesn't help that his physical (and probably mental) pain is linked to someone else. It makes me wonder if the reason why he feed on human blood is because that's his only way of surviving. The secretary said that he talks gibberish at night, does that mean he's is in pain every evening? No wonder he's so adamant on destroying The Soul. Maybe The Soul is the real villain in this drama. Haha!

13 hours ago, goemul said:

I thought he was going to go absolutely feral, this is the son he wanted to avenge for 600 years and instead I'm watching him sit in a car and talk.

Hahaha, I know!! When he talked about how he's going to protect his son this time, I was thinking, "You won't if you don't hurry it up!". Eul Tae was in the same forest as them and he made it to Do Yoon first! :PikachuFacePalm:

@mademoiselle@goemul Lee Joon is bringing Eul Tae to life with every episode. To me, Eul Tae is the more developed character. I don't think the other actors are doing a bad job, but their characters are poorly written. They seem a bit one-dimensional and that's why it took me a while to connect with them -- not sure if I'm fully there yet too. 

I don't know why it took Lee Joon so long to return from dramaland after being discharged, but I'm so glad he's back. I think I might even consider watching Red Single Heart.

• Like 3

Hello @goemul

Oh yay! Another watcher :smile:

It had been a bit lonely just being Tofu, Unnisara and I. Hahaha. @stroppyse Are you still watching? xD

I'm not sure why I can't connect well with Hwal. His character should be as jaded/tortured as Eul Tae to be honest and the writer gave Lee Jin Wook so little to work with. Even emotionally I'm not seeing him connect and rather we get this weird, random scene of him with Sang Woon in that little space — doesn't even flutter my heart at all 😅 or thought it was necessary (to be this long anyway). Plus I don't think this show needs romance. It just needs to tell a good story and potentially Hwal gets a closure with his family through the reincarnated souls of theirs...

New stills

• Like 2

Thank's for the welcome! Glad to make this place feel less lonely :laugh: I was actually looking through other forums but people were too crazy about the romance between the leads where I felt out of place, so I decided to join here instead lol.

@Tofu @mademoiselle Yep, I blame the writing and directing. They just have nothing to work with, Gong Seungyeon gets way too little screen time, which is annoying in terms of her character and waste of an actress, Kwon Nara can only show so much given the character she plays has like no personality and her lines are just 90% asking questions, she is more interesting as the Bulgalady who literally has no lines at all, as for Lee Jinwook idk his character isn't very giving either given the fact he is stuck with Sangun for the majority of time. The only time Hwal seems to show a different expression and attitude is when he interacts with Siho which happens too rarely.

6 hours ago, Tofu said:

I don't know why it took Lee Joon so long to return from dramaland after being discharged, but I'm so glad he's back.

I actually read an interview where he adressed this lol, it said he was already filming for silent sea in 2019 but since it's a show that requires a lot of post production work due to cgi it only came out now.

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Even emotionally I'm not seeing him connect and rather we get this weird, random scene of him with Sang Woon in that little space — doesn't even flutter my heart at all 😅 or thought it was necessary (to be this long anyway). Plus I don't think this show needs romance. It just needs to tell a good story and potentially Hwal gets a closure with his family through the reincarnated souls of theirs...

This!! I'm sorry but to me the leads just have absolutely no chemistry which is weird because there was at least some in the first episode where we got Bulgalady stabbing him lol. I think their relationship is so poorly developed, they better explain it by them being drawn to each other because of some ties of a past life cause else it would make absolutely no sense for them to expect me to beleive miss girl would develop feelings for the same guy that over and over again told her he hates and wants to kill her. The romance is so unnecessary, imo they should've left it out completely or just keep it between him and his previous wife. 

So far the aspect of his family from the past and their tragedy is what emotionally drives the story for me and more than anything I just want them to be happy and break free from their bad karma while Hwal either gets his closure or his second chance to make up for his regrets.

Edited by goemul
  • Like 3

@goemul @Tofu For Hwal, my guess is he's trying not to be close with anyone knowing that they will likely be in danger because of him, and a lot also had to do with not wanting to become attached (since he plans to die after retrieving the soul) and not wanting to be hurt/pained again with losses. However, this is where I find the show lacking in putting more focus, layers or depth into exploring Hwal's feelings and emotions.

And I agree there should be more interactions between him and Shi Ho too to allow that "emotional connection" for Hwal's POV. It's not necessary for him and Shi Ho to form a romantic relationship but it's important for them to get to know each other (at least for me) so that later on they can handle their regrets in their past life.

As for Sang Woon, I'm not sure she's "in love" with Hwal and whether or not it's the writer's intention to weave a romance between them but I can see she found someone she could rely on and she feels "safe" with him to the point of complacent (said so herself) for once in her life and not having to keep running and be scared. Plus after they mutually agreed to eliminate Eul Tae first, they have come to known each other better and Hwal has since stopped repeatedly saying he'll kill her. It's actually unfair to Sang Woon to be treated like an evil person when she has no memory of what her past lives did therefore how can she be held responsible? Just like Hwal himself before becoming a Bulgasal, he himself should know how it feels to be treated badly and blamed for something he, as a person (not the soul), hadn't done.

The little hiccup I have with Sang Woon is she's too nice and selfless. LOL! The other issue is the deal they had is for her to find out how Hwal can kill Eul Tae but we don't see her or Hwal making any effort researching on this. Maybe they could start from a library or seeking a powerful Shaman...? Surely some really old and powerful bloodline of Shaman (other than Halmoni) would have kept records of Bulgasal from 1000 years ago!

That said, I'm intrigued enough to keep watching because I want to know what's the deal between all of them. They all seem connected to Hwal but now it seems like they may well all be originally connected to Eul Tae from 1000 years ago. Hwal may be living as Eul Tae's life (as his soul or his brother's soul) for all we know and Shi Ho and A-Chan are not his family but Eul Tae's/Eul Tae's dead brother's. Ha.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Agreed, like you said he is probably trying to stay away but idk like we already have the situation where he is kind of forced to be around them so it's weird that they don't have them interact much. It could've been cool if he started to like being around them while he still forced himself to stay away, they could've evoked so many more emotions and inner turmoil but chose not to.

Well I really hope it's not love or at least a platonic one and I'm wrong because I really can't get behind the romance. He does treat her a lot better now but she seemed to have grown fond of him when he still kept constantly shutting her down not to forget the grief and pain he caused her by claiming she is evil, like the guy dug out her corpse from a previous life lol. Their dynamic would've been a lot more intersting if they kept the "I know you want to kill me but I need you to kill the other Bulgasal, I don't trust you but I have no choice" aspect a little longer and didn't have her go soft for him so quick. 

The whole someone doesn't deserve to be judged for their past lifes actions is actually why I would've really liked if Sangun actually turned out to be evil, it would've added to Hwal's struggle and conflict of if he should kill her or not and like you mentioned @mademoiselle make him realize how he himself was cursed for something he did in his past life that he doesn't remember. That would've been a really interesting way for the show to go but then idk how Eultae would've fit into the story but that's also because we still don't know the backstory.

I usually love characters that remain kind and optimistic despite their hardships so Sangun should be right up my alley but something just doesn't click with me, her actions and reactions seem too unbelieveable, agreed she is too nice and too selfless and she misses that certain charm that could've made it still work.

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The other issue is the deal they had is for her to find out how Hwal can kill Eul Tae but we don't see her or Hwal making any effort researching on this.

This is so true, right now it feels like they only react to whatever Eultae is doing, he is the one driving the plot forward because he actually keeps going after what he wants. I'm still wondering how Hwal in his 600 years didn't find out there was another bulgasal.

Idk about the Siho and Achan being Eultae's/his brothers family cause aren't Siho and Eultae like kind of but not really siblings having had the same father lol. Interesting that he pulled a red thread out of her hair tho.

The backstory from 1000 years ago, how Eultae turned to a Bulgasal, why Hwal was cursed, why Siho has her powers and if it's indeed a curse, what Bulgalady meant with having created even more karma and "him" having planned all of this are things that I'm dying to know.

So far the soul originally being Eultae's seems very likely, if we can take the people in the painting as the two original Bulgasal then I'm still inclined to Hwal being the other one.

Didn't Bulgalady look surprised when the soul went into her? So I'm guessing if Hwal indeed was Bulgasal then he was the one to take over the soul, I've seen people theorize that Bulgasal Hwal and human Eultae might have made a deal where one wanted to become human and the other one immortal, which would make sense considering Eultae was rather sickly.

Whenever I try to think of theories there seem to be so many endless possibilities because the have reveald so little :laugh:.

Edited by goemul
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

tvN’s “Bulgasal” rose to No. 2 on the list of most buzzworthy dramas, and its stars also claimed a whopping five out of 10 spots on the actor list. Lee Joon came in at No. 3, UP10TION’s Kim Woo Seokat No. 5, Lee Jin Wook at No. 7, Gong Seung Yeonat No. 9, and Kwon Nara at No. 10.

Oh my Hwal and Si Ho no.7 & 9! :smug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Hope...

Sometimes that's all you have when you have nothing else.

Are you still watching? xD

I really struggled with finishing episodes 1 and 2. It was funny, but not in a good way, and not in a way that kept me wanting to watch. I'm stuck on ep 3, hoping that Lee Joon's character will finally make his appearance, but struggling to keep going.

If I just fast forward to when Lee Joon's character shows up, will the story still make sense? I've been watching clips and Lee Joon's scenes seem very interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of just watching clips of a story that doesn't make much sense.

The OTP are really boring to watch, plus given the supernatural nature of the story, some stuff doesn't make that much sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3