The King's Affection 연모 [2021]

Episode 6

I agree episode 6 was great. I think much better than episode 5 because the plot is moving and there are more happenings. There were too much swooning scenes in episode 5 (LOL - can you guys believe I am saying this? :lmao2: But hey, gotta be fair even though I love watching Rowoon).

Agree with @abs-oluteM that we have more flashbacks on their childhood to build up their backstory and saw how they bonded when young. I remember Rowoon mentioned somewhere in their promotion that Dam-i influenced and made him see another world and I've been wondering whether it was edited out. Thankfully it is included in this episode and it helps us understand Ji Woon is keeping his promise to Dam-i. No doubt they were each other's first love/crush but it's really the present interactions that this love will grow deeper, even though Ji Woon doesn't (yet) know why. It's definitely much more convincing than once-off meet cute and love-you-til-death-do-us-part-at-adulthood-when-we-barely-knew-each-other (yes, I'm referring to you, Lovers of the Red Sky 😤). Perhaps life was much more simple then that love is something more trustworthy than present time; however, I personally still prefer a childhood related love story be persuasive and justifiable by other means.

That said, I feel extremely apologetic towards Lee Hyun because even though his love for Dam-i is no way less than Ji Woon, Ji Woon just moved Dam-i's heart more. Although Hyun knows he's a she but he doesn't really know Dam-i as Dam-i whereas Ji Woon is the only person who remembers Dam-i for who she really is. She matters to him and he misses her to this day, and he openly and unknowingly confessed his feelings to Dam-i was his first love. It was meaningful to Dam-i, who had to hide her true self. Park Eun Bin was excellent here in emoting through her eyes that Dam-i was very shaken by Ji Woon's words and actions.

I'm also loving the change in Dami-i. She's living in fear for so long and was being submissive towards Minister Han, and now she's standing up to both Jung Seok Jo and Grandpa. The tension was enjoyable. To be honest, I do think Minister Han can't do nothing to Dam-i. He puts all his cards on Hwi, and at this point, I don't see him having any backup blood-related Prince which allows him to replace Hwi, so whatever threat he spouted at Dam-i is all an empty threat. With Hwi gone, his power will be weaken and he should be grovelling at Hwi. I would love to see Dam-i pluck up the courage and make good use of his authority in future episodes. Minister Han may be her grandfather but Hwi is still the Crown Prince of the nation. The Crown Prince status is higher and Han needs to show respect. Yeah, I think I'd love to see more of this authoritive Park Eun Bin.

I think so far the story-telling is going well and things were unclear before are being clarified—like the reason behind why Samgaebang seems to be a clinic being frown upon for instance. I also like that it was explained that Dam-i was the one only who used the abandon place hence the reason why the place is now a mess.

How come you guys know Bae Soo Bin so well @Mouse @Tofu? I think he's pretty good as the evil Jung Seok Jo. He's so cold so it was nice to see him reacted to Ji Woon's self-harming threat. I didn't expect Ji Woon would go the extreme but as a drama viewer, I so love it. I wanted Ji Woon to stab himself even deeper so that I could see Rowoon do pain. :eeeee: And yes, in comparison to Where Stars Land or Extraordinary You, Rowoon has shown vast improvement in line deliveries, intonation and acting from She Would Never Know onwards.

Episode 7 seems to be a mix bag of light and heavy. We've puppy Rowoon running towards Hwi in adoration (they must have exchanged scripts by accident :lol:) and then we have Dam-i beating up Park Ki Woong, cameo as the Ming envoy (I think). It's taboo for Joseon to anger Ming Dynasty but I'm sure Ji Woon having saved that Vice Minister of Rites's life in episode 1 would be put to good use in this context. Heh.

And Kim Ga On, LOLLLL. There's soooo little screen time for him but I just love that the camera gave him a focus and his expression when the gang saw Minister Han waiting at the Crown Prince quarter. I laughed because it was unexpected and had a moment of "Oh, even he knows the tension/power struggle between Hwi and Minister Han". :lmao2:

• Haha 3
  • Awesome 1

Finally was able to catch up today. 

- As suspected, Lee Hyun knows the real identity of Dam. It's really sweet of him to keep it a secret and try protecting her quietly. I wonder how this triangle gonna work out. Nobody dies, please.... 

- Seems like Kim Ga On was actually moved by Ji Un's lesson to Dam on trying to trust people for a change... 

- I really have no guesses how the drama is going to end this story of a girl disguising as the CP. Who, with power in the palace, will be on her side when the secret is out?

- I cried when Dam was telling Ji Un that the court lady he was looking for is dead already... And it turns out that there were more interactions in the past when they were younger that we are just now being shown. I love that. The reveal of why Ji-Un is operating the Samgaebang was a nice touch. Btw, I think post-it notes existed even since back then, hahahaa... ref.the wishes on lantern.

- Everyone is so afraid of the grandfather... even Kim Ga On was startled to see him already waiting inside Dam's room. He is the true evil. I don't know why some old people are still so thirsty for power, like shouldn't you retire already, grandpa? *rolleyes* They want power to rule, but too chicken to do it themselves and have to do it through other people.

- I think Jung Seok Ju will die towards the end of drama, probably to save Ji-Un, reconciling the soured father-son relationship.

- What's the plot going to be for next week? The preview kinda confuses me a bit. 

There's something I find a bit inconsistent though... Dam is trained in martial arts, but a few times when someone came near her, the reaction was more of panicking instead of defending herself. Eg. when Ji-Un wanted to point to the book, then when Ga-On came into the bath swinging his sword. 

Also, Dam needs to overcome her fear of her grandfather and start strategising within the palace.

14 hours ago, Mizv said:

The only way she is going to live peacefully as a woman is “die” and be reborn as Dami

If that happens, maybe she will use the name that Ji-Un gave her in the past - Yeon Seon

But then, who will take the throne?

Name of Hwi's tutor is Kang Hwa Gil, so not related to Kim Ga On, unless he is under a disguised name.

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

Hi guys,

Caught up with the episodes and am happy to say, I LOVE all the characters so far and the story is intriguing. Although I can't help but wonder what exactly was the Queen thinking when she made Dami/Hwi become her dead brother? What's the endgame here? What is her goal? What is Dami supposed to change as the "chosen one?" How is she supposed to have an offspring as the King? Of course when she doesn't, she won't be blamed for it, her Queen(s)/Consorts will be blamed and punished. She can't even sleep with her wife since that would out her secret. Also, since the grandfather really wanted to micro manage the future King and be the King by proxy (and so tried to kill his grand daughter for that reason) wouldn't the apt punishment for his crime be the Queen letting him know that he actually did kill the future King after sending Dami FAR FAR away? I really don't understand what she was thinking. 

From what Prince Jaeun, the 2nd ML hinted, in the future he expects Dami's time as the King to run out (probably after she is unable to have an offspring is my guess) and he will take her travelling and perhaps settle somewhere far away? In my mind, this is why he travels so much...to find her a safe haven when she is done with being the Prince. Sadly, the running away won't be with him but with Ji-un (hopefully). Seeing Jaeun and Ji-un's friendship, I hope their relationship won't turn toxic and will remain helpful and friendly even when the truth of them both loving the heroine comes out. Kinda praying for their relationship to be similar to Ji PD and Chief Hong from HTCCC.

I am really excited to see when and how Ji-un will realize the King is his Dami. It's already been 6 episodes. A part of me wants him to see a painted portrait of the Prince and realize the connection, question his dad and piece everything. Maybe even question the "Prince" if he was in on killing his twin sister. How did the manga handle this part?

This was a longer post than I intended. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

What's the plot going to be for next week? The preview kinda confuses me a bit.

The Ming envoys will visit Joseon. Everyone needs to appease them and there will be political manipulation here I am sure since Hwi is the host and people will want her to fail. Ji Woon might be able to help because he saved the Ming's Vice Minister of Rites before :idk:

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

There's something I find a bit inconsistent though... Dam is trained in martial arts, but a few times when someone came near her, the reaction was more of panicking instead of defending herself. Eg. when Ji-Un wanted to point to the book, then when Ga-On came into the bath swinging his sword. 

Oh you have a point there. I think the flaw is in the script because the scene of Ji Woon pointing at the book, in the BTS, we can see it was a requirement in the script and left to the actors and PD to work it out how they do it. So in the end, it became what we saw on air. It was Eun Bin's suggestion that she blocks Rowoon with both hands. As for the bathing scene which there is no BTS, I'm therefore inclined to think it was also part of the script that she freaks out rather than specifying Dam-i has to defend/fight Ga On. 

1 hour ago, YourHighness said:

Although I can't help but wonder what exactly was the Queen thinking when she made Dami/Hwi become her dead brother? What's the endgame here? What is her goal? What is Dami supposed to change as the "chosen one?" How is she supposed to have an offspring as the King? Of course when she doesn't, she won't be blamed for it, her Queen(s)/Consorts will be blamed and punished. She can't even sleep with her wife since that would out her secret. Also, since the grandfather really wanted to micro manage the future King and be the King by proxy (and so tried to kill his grand daughter for that reason) wouldn't the apt punishment for his crime be the Queen letting him know that he actually did kill the future King after sending Dami FAR FAR away? I really don't understand what she was thinking.

Hello. Welcome to the thread! Happy to see another viewer coming in to share your thoughts. :smile:

I don't think the Queen was able to think too far ahead and pretty sure it's not meant to be permanent as you have pointed out all the valid points Hwi cannot do. It was just one step at a time because if the truth was revealed then and there, it would be a blood bath and she would've dragged her husband down, who was only a Crown Prince then and there may be others who wanted the throne as well. The timing needs to be right for the reveal. Perhaps she had wanted to wait until her husband became the king and has the power to resolve this issue, which I think is why she requested him to protect Hwi before she dies. As for letting Minister Han knows the truth, that would still mean a blood bath and it doesn't mean Han cannot find Dam-i.

I'm actually quite concerned the story will go haywire later :pandasadspoon: but here's finger/toe crossing that it will end decently and logically. Maybe, just maybe at the end the King would heed his promise to his dead wife and spare Dam-i's life and let her become a commoner and live happily with Ji Woon. 

• Clapping Hands 4

Hello everyone!! I've been busy with my personal lives but still entangled on what's happening to The King's Affection.

Regarding the spiode 5 and 6 If you squint really hard, you can see shades of BL in this (the gat-tying scene), and my heart is living for it~. I like the attention to casting detail: cute oraboni/ hyung-nim's ( Hyun) child actor also has identical dimples as him!!

Luckily, the younger 'good guys' aren't sexist, misogynistic pigs. I like how Ji-Woon says the Prince resembles a court-maid in appearance, but doesn't automatically imply he is 'girly', like the creepy-uncle does, & much more condescendingly! In fact, I love how turned on Ji-woon is, watching the CP do pretty 'traditionally masculine' stuff like sword-fighting as well as 'traditionally feminine' stuff like flower-gazing. His attraction to the CP seems to be beyond the CP's gender identity, and I find it so refreshing, not see him descend down a gay-panic just to play it for laughs. Ji-woon's mortification seems to arise from being attracted to somebody wayyy out of his league instead, and even more so cuz the said person is also his student!! >.<

Going to go off a limb and say: Hyung-nim is pretty straight, Ji-Woon is gay for the Prince (as I am gay for Eun-Bin, lol!). Eun-Bin looks like Sakurada Dori from certain angles. She looks positively sexy biting her cheek in frustration, her jawline and dimples on full display! *_* On another note, is she his long-lost twin sister? They are the same age xD

Rowoon playing soccer is such a man-child. Hot guard, is hot, but he's also an assassin...but he has like 1 & a half expressions, and looks like a scowling Song-Kang. What bets he's going to discover the CP is Damyi, and would then be unable to kill her? Hmm, three boys into our FL is definitely heading the reverse-harem way!

I really wanted Ji-Woon to take those flowers and plant them at their secret hideout and Dam-yi to go and see them, and be touched! At least, she got touched when she recalled how the pickle Ji-Woon is in right now, is because he wanted to fulfill her wish as his first love.... </3

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 4
11 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hello. Welcome to the thread! Happy to see another viewer coming in to share your thoughts. :smile:

I don't think the Queen was able to think too far ahead and pretty sure it's not meant to be permanent as you have pointed out all the valid points Hwi cannot do. It was just one step at a time because if the truth was revealed then and there, it would be a blood bath and she would've dragged her husband down, who was only a Crown Prince then and there may be others who wanted the throne as well. The timing needs to be right for the reveal. Perhaps she had wanted to wait until her husband became the king and has the power to resolve this issue, which I think is why she requested him to protect Hwi before she dies. As for letting Minister Han knows the truth, that would still mean a blood bath and it doesn't mean Han cannot find Dam-i.

I'm actually quite concerned the story will go haywire later :pandasadspoon: but here's finger/toe crossing that it will end decently and logically. Maybe, just maybe at the end the King would heed his promise to his dead wife and spare Dam-i's life and let her become a commoner and live happily with Ji Woon. 

Thanks so much for the welcome.:smile:

But here's the thing. There would have been no need for a blood bath. The truth about the twin sister being alive needn't get out at all. Why would the Queen's dad oust that his daughter didn't follow through the orders of the late King? That would just mean punishment for her, maybe loosing her position or even death and he would suffer from it too. Loose his position and become a nobody.  

The logical step would have been for the Queen to send Dami far far away, show the Prince's dead body. Tell everyone how he was killed because he was without any protection due to him running away, disguised as a female to meet his teacher for the last time. Some enemy recognized him and killed him. I doubt the grand father would have tried to kill Dami because it would have no purpose since everyone thinks she is dead anyway. After mourning the dead Prince, the Queen and King can try to have another child, she didn't seem that old and I bet she could have conceived easily. If not, he would have married someone else and had an heir to the throne. 

I think they went about this whole plot in the most stupidest way possible. It makes no sense why the Queen disguised her daughter as the Prince. She should have made her father suffer for killing her child for his greed. 

This is why I am more invested in the lovestory and the 2nd ML than the whole palace politics story line. Ji-un, Hwi and Jaeun are what I am watching the show for, the rest is pretty nonsensical to me. . 

Edited by YourHighness
Addition of a comment
  • Haha 5
On 10/27/2021 at 4:08 AM, mademoiselle said:

How come you guys know Bae Soo Bin so well @Mouse @Tofu?

I've seen a few of his past works (Brilliant Legacy, 49 Days, etc.). It's strange to watch him go from second lead to father. :laugh:

If you keep showing me photos of Hyun, I'm never going to adopt Rowoon. Haha!

I loved reading everyone's posts but after watching Reflection and Dal-Li, I'm so worn out from all the angst. I'll respond tomorrow because everyone had good points and I need to talk about this evil grandpa too. :niu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

It’s so interesting reading all of the comments being shared here. I am really enjoying this drama and look forward to each episode.

I also questioned Dam-i’s mother’s choice to have her impersonate Hwi when clearly it’s not a long term solution as one day, Hwi would have had to marry and produce an heir. Producing an heir isn’t so much the issue but rather how will Dam-I be able to hide her true identity in marriage. But I do think it wasn’t meant to be a long term solution but rather the best solution for the circumstance they found themselves in at that time. The problem is that once they find out that Hwi was killed, hey would have questioned who was posing as Hwi while he was out and about. Dam-I would have been killed right then and there. The crown princess would have also been killed and anyone else who knew about the impersonation. I think Dam-it’s mother’s decision was driven by her wanting to keep Dam-I alive more than anything else. She had already tried to send her away once when she was just a baby and somehow Dam-I still ended up at the palace. That decision was a painful one for her to make and now after losing Hwi, I think she was more desperate to just keep her last remaining child alive no matter the cost.

I think too that Ji-un can’t help but feel attracted to Hwi because he reminds him of the maid he encountered before. 

in all honesty I cannot predict how this one is going to end because Dam-I seems to have a doomed ending whatever she chooses. I am hoping for a happy ending though!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

spacer.pngCurrently watching: Law Cafe, Love in Contract, Mr. Bad, Cheer Up!