Palace of Devotion 大宋宫词 (was Poetry of the Song Dynasty) [2021]

0071-MRgply1gon63j7ejqj32kw3vc7wi.jpg3-20-20.jpg

Synopsis:

Story of Liu E, the wife of Emperor Renzong, who was perceptive to state affairs, and assisted Zhao Heng in his rule.

(Source: Dramawiki)

Cast:
Liu Tao, Tamia as Liu E

tamialiu2.jpg

Zhou Yumin, Vic as Zhao Heng

vicchou2.jpg

Supporting Cast:
Gui  Ya Lei as Empress Dowager Xiao
Winston Chao as Zhao Ting Mei

Pan Yi Yi as Princess Ling Yang

Han Yuan Qi as Prince Zhao Ji (Liu E's son)

Zheng Wei as Zhao Zhen
Liu Ruo Gu as Zhao Zhen (young)

Details:

Title: 大宋宫词

English title: Palace of Devotion (was Poetry of the Song Dynasty)

Genre: Historical

Episodes: 61

Broadcast network: iQiyi, Tencent, and Youku.

Broadcast period: 2021-Mar-20 to TBA

(Update in progress...)

Edited by oppasaranghaeyo
  • Like 1
  • Party! 1

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

premiere-today.jpg

It has premiered today!:MewHi:

Where to watch?

TENCENT Official Site

YOUKU Official Site

IQIYI Official Site

(English subtitles are apparently in the making for all three)

VIKI Official Site

(License is still pending)

Airing Schedule:

(for TENCENT, YOUKU & IQIYI - click image for enlargement)

schedule.jpg

Where to enjoy and engage in the BUZZ?

English Forum:

JANGHAVENof course!:SquirtleWonderfull:

Chinese Forums:

PALACE OF DEVOTION at WEIBO (HOT TOPIC)

PALACE OF DEVOTION at WEIBO (DRAMA SITE)

PALACE OF DEVOTION at DOUBAN (FORUM)

Where to read the novel 大宋宫词(女君纪)?

y7Vv4f.jpg

Note: Palace of Devotion started out as an adaptation of the above novel,

La Royauté by Lady Mi Lan (lit. Chronicle of a Female Monarch), but has since expanded to referencing other historical materials and legends, as well as incorporating some fictitious elements to the plot that is largely inspired by the life of Empress Zhangxian Mingsu, Liu E of the Song Dynasty.

努努书坊
子午书屋

(Just listing a couple of links, available in Chinese only)

• Like 1

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

On 3/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, Tofu said:

Wow, look at that kissing scene!!

Yeah. Surprisingly, a really good kiss.:wow: 

(Not sure which episode it appeared in (TBH, not telling lol). Only watched up to Ep 2.)

Here are some gifs to "slow-mo" it lol.

:eeeee:

otpkiss0.gif

otpkiss1.gif

otpkiss2.gif

CR: weibo hot topic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

In Ep 1, there is a true representation of The Night Revels of Han Xizai (韩熙载夜宴图). Nice touch by Exec PD Li Shaohong (李少红).

:pandahappy:

PD.jpg

GIF-3-19-2021-8-51-27-AM.gif

CR: Self :MewWave:

More from weibo...

night-of-revels3.jpg

night-of-revels2.jpg

CR: Weibo'er as tagged

Link to CUT on this scene. Click it to watch :)

Unfortunately, the editing department didn't do a good job with Eps 1 and 2 (thus far I've watched). Or perhaps due to censorship (aish, SMH). There are abrupt snips that are too obvious, done too hurriedly. Hope the editing will improve going forward. Overall, a really good look back at history and filming-wise, skillfully conceptualized, envisioned and captured. Not to mention, casting was well-done, and so the portrayals (thus far) are awesome.  

Added a link :)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

Palace of Devotion break into Top 5 for yesterday rating chart

Wow! That's a feat! Congrats to cast and crew of Palace of Devotion. :love:

Considering all the anti-drama buzz around the 15 yo age issue of young Liu E vs mature Liu Tao, and the abrupt editing when it premiered. We know though, that it is due to the reduction of episodes by the censorship authority. From an original intent of 50 eps, then to 86 eps, and mandatorily reduced to 61 (final count as of now) to be approved for airing. So there you have it. At least we get to watch the loving and painstaking good effort of 61 eps. I am happy and can gladly overlook any "mishaps" which are enforced.

So glad it is getting better attention now. The story is engaging (to me) and the cinematography and attention to Song style and aesthetics must not be ignored. I personally love to lap it up. Such a joy!

Thank you, PD Li, cast and crew. :SquirtleWonderfull::hearties:

Some beautifully presented scenes:

ezgif-6-7670c266aa7c.gif

GIF-3-19-2021-8-36-39-AM.gif

GIF-3-19-2021-8-10-28-AM.gif

It's actually an entertaining drama, a fusion of historical facts with fictionalized plot and characterization (to some extent). I'd recommend it any time, any day.:GengarCool:

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, oppasaranghaeyo said:

Unfortunately, the editing department didn't do a good job with Eps 1 and 2 (thus far I've watched). Or perhaps due to censorship (aish, SMH). There are abrupt snips that are too obvious, done too hurriedly. Hope the editing will improve going forward. Overall, a really good look back at history and filming-wise, skillfully conceptualized, envisioned and captured. Not to mention, casting was well-done, and so the portrayals (thus far) are awesome.  

to be honest, i dont held much confidence with the editing department from the C-entertainment, they been known to miss some details and even the cut and add in clips is dont very out of order

unmatching clip can be found edited together before too

• Sad 1
Just now, NiteWalker said:

to be honest, i dont held much confidence with the editing department from the C-entertainment, they been known to miss some details and even the cut and add in clips

I know what you mean. Frankly, I am not sure if it is the "fault" of the authority or the crew of each specific drama project. I guess we could consider it as a combination of both, and the time constraint between airing and approval, not forgetting the business side and unforseen circumstance of it all. It is a really difficult endeavor. I am glad many pull through well enough to present to us, C-drama lovers, so many awesome C-dramas, and even more to come.

• Like 1

i think the editing wont be as bad for some modern drama.....and it will be more noticeable for Historical drama as the costumes and also the pacing that get cut too much will eat up the facts and everything....i guess we arent the one who hate the pacing...the C-Netizens is complaining about it badly....it had open at 6.1 on douban and drop to 4.4 in less than 24 hours

• Sad 1
23 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

C-Netizens is complaining about it badly....it had open at 6.1 on douban and drop to 4.4 in less than 24 hours

Yeah. It was sad. Oh well... Hoping it will get better and better, and C-netz will stop complaining and bashing the PD and cast.

So agree with this weibo'er. Well-said!

agree-weiboer1a.png

Paraphrasing briefly:

Why complain so much about the episode count change, about pacing, about Liu Tao, about makeup? Like a bunch of kids. Don't like it, why watch? Change the channel.

For me, I feel that the pace is not draggy, the dressup and makeup are authentic, without any use of filter lens to smooth out the looks, the dialogue is just right, neither slow or fast, pretty good.

Raise your hand to show me which historical drama does not begin in a speed/pace that's greater than 1.25 times? 

If you don't want to watch it, change the channel.

(end)

:love:这微博友: 说得好! 赞!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

Yeah. It was sad. Oh well... Hoping it will get better and better, and C-netz will stop complaining and bashing the PD and cast.

So agree with this weibo'er. Well-said!

actually what she said is true.....

usually if i find either the drama / the visual doesnt suit my taste i just flip to other dramas....there are ample of dramas that will suit my taste somehow...

cause i find why do you want to belittle ppl?

unless what you're commenting is about the plot and also maybe how u find the lead lack the chemistry....then its a little different...

i dunno why i find it not easy to fit Vic Zhao with a female lead to be honest....his last one with Dilreba i find it lacking too....so i didnt really watch that either....

• Clapping Hands 1
7 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i dunno why i find it not easy to fit Vic Zhao with a female lead to be honest....his last one with Dilreba i find it lacking too....so i didnt really watch that either....

I think I can understand how you feel on this. I didn't watch that either. 

For this drama, I like the PD and Liu Tao, and the history bit of it (though this drama isn't truly all historical, which is stated in the disclaimer in every episode), those are the reasons that drew me to it. Now that I've watched all 10 available episodes, I am beginning to warm up and loving it.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:22 PM, oppasaranghaeyo said:

More on this...

:wow:

4.gif

1.gif

Spoiler

2.gif

3.gif

5.gif

CR: PoD's weibo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

even if i dont watch the drama, the art works is fabulous 

Yeah. Indeed. PD Li has an eye for aesthetic and artistic essence. 

Even for battle scenes, just wow!

image.jpg

And awesome cinematography!

beautiful-colors.jpg

ezgif-6-7670c266aa7c.gif

CR: PoD weibo

• Like 1

Love this drama!  :love:

Crown Prince Zhao Zhen, the future Emperor Renzong of Song, is finally making his appearance.

image.jpg

Crown-Prince-Zhao-Zhen-future-Emperor-Renzong-of-Song.png