Xing Fei as Cheng Lingsu
Lin Yu Shen as Miao Renfeng
Peter Ho
Ye Xiang Ming
Huang Meng Ying
Liu Yu Feng
Hai Ling

Synopsis:

It tells the story of Hu Fei as he ventures into the pugilistic world to avenge his father. From a brave and reckless young man, he transforms into a hero of his generation who is willing to fight for the common good to serve his nation and its people. Under the reign of Qianlong, Hu Fei (Qin Jun Jie) embarks on a journey to find the truth behind his father Hu Yidao's death. Along the way, he confronts the tyrannical despot, Feng Tiannan, over the injustices that he has committed. He also falls into a heart-wrenching romance with Feng Tiannan's daughter, Yuan Ziyi (Liang Jie). While looking for medicine to cure Miao Renfeng's (Lin Yu Shen) eyes, Hu Fei also meets Cheng Lingsu (Fair Xing) who is the apprentice of the Poison Hand Medicine King. (Credit)

Official Site:

Weibo l Baidu l Douban

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the tip @Tofu

Oooh a wuxia drama but men with pigtails.  Meh.

I am torn.

The male lead from Dating in the Kitchen is in it too. 

Choices choices. Seems like it’s a Jing Yong story from the trailers.

• Haha 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma yes, a Jin Yong remake, and the guy from Dating in the Kitchen plus the ML in this drama is from Listening Snow Tower, and it so happens he's got a modern drama airing the same time too. Tbh, the ending of this drama doesn't beckon to me, and the two FL's aren't particularly appealing, though I have enjoyed Fair Xing's works before and Liang Jie was ok in The Eternal Love series.

What else are you deliberating upon that you've got choices to make? :lmao2:

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Haha 2

Many viewers on MDL seem to be enjoying it so far. Some comments say it has the feel of an old school wuxia which is up my alley. I am familiar with Jin Yong's works because my dad was a huge fan. Have seen a similar adaptation of this one with him before so I will need to find the time to check this one out. I don't know anyone from the cast though except Lin Yu Shen. He was great as Yang Xiao in Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre. I do recognize Peter Ho, Leanne Liu and Ray Lui from the older dramas that my mom used to watch. Hope it's good!

• Like 1

I watched all the episodes out so far and I have to say, the best episodes were the beginning ones with Lin Yu Shen. Once we jumped timeline and Hu Fei (Qiu Jun Jie) is an adult it's less interesting. Like @IpohBanana, I'm not that excited about the female leads. Liang Jie is the only one that's showed up in the drama. Xing Fei will show up later and become sworn siblings with Hu Fei. 

I'm not familiar with this book, but I read that Hu Fei ends up with Miao Renfeng's daughter, is that accurate? If so, in the drama, there's an eighteen age gap between them! When Hu Fei turned 18 is around the time Nan Lan gave birth to their daughter. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a big age gap, but if this is true, I hope it happens after the daughter turn 18 for them to start liking each other. Any earlier and it would feel strange to me. 

Just gifs of Lin Yu Shen, because he's so charismatic and I adore him. :wow: 

FHWZ-06-SLOW-T.gif

FHWZ-07-T.gif
FHWZ-08-T.gif

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Tofu said:

I'm not familiar with this book, but I read that Hu Fei ends up with Miao Renfeng's daughter, is that accurate? If so, in the drama, there's an eighteen age gap between them! When Hu Fei turned 18 is around the time Nan Lan gave birth to their daughter. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a big age gap, but if this is true, I hope it happens after the daughter turn 18 for them to start liking each other. Any earlier and it would feel strange to me. 

There are 2 novels to this story --- The Young Flying Fox (which is the prequel) and Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain (the sequel). This drama is actually based on the former/the prequel so I don't think Miao Renfeng's daughter will be in this one. Hu Fei's romance will be centered between Cheng Lingsu and Yuan Ziyi. But yes, in the sequel, your understanding about Hu Fei and the daughter is right.

Here is a trailer on the romance aspect of the story:

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 2

I liked the first couple of episodes a lot. The action scenes were really a joy to watch. A pity I was preparing food in the kitchen at the time so I couldn't concentrate on it properly but Miao Renfeng doing his dash and slash routine was pretty cool.

Lin Yushen as expected is rather good as Miao Renfeng (I think). Frankly I think he's born to play tortured wuxia heroes.

It is an old school wuxia which is not a problem because I like old school wuxia in which there's a revenge story driving the whole thing and that people in jianghu aren't always quite what they appear to be. It's a recurring trope especially in Jing Yong's novels. The righteous turn out not to be that righteous and the so-called evil people are far more complex than the legends make them out to be.

@IpohBanana I'm not a fan of men with pigtails -- which is why I generally don't watch Qin dynasty shows. But I might make this one an exception as long as Lin Yushen keeps his hairstyle the way it is. Since he's on the run from the Manchurian overlords I'm pretty sure I'm safe there.

I've never seen an adaptation of this novel before so I'm surprised to hear that this is remake.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjummamy bad I think I got this mixed up with 雪山飛狐* (Flying Fox in Snow Mountain). You are right, don't think there has been a drama adaptation of this story but I believe there was a film produced in 1993 https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-my/飛狐外傳_(1993年電影) which starred Leon Lai Ming as Hu Fei, Michele Monique Reis as Cheng Ling Su, Sharla Zhang Min as Yuan Zi Yi.

I did a bit of digging around and it seems that this is a prequel to 雪山飛狐 which Jin Yong wrote to shape Hu Fei better (a point he admitted was not done sufficiently well in that* novel whereby Hu Yi Dao was better developed than the hero, Hu Fei). So from 1960 to 1961, he wrote 飞狐外传 as a prequel and to provide Hu Fei an opportunity to be worthy of his name.

Hope you enjoy this drama! Happy viewing.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 3
  • Party! 1
9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Frankly I think he's born to play tortured wuxia heroes.

I don't know what it is but he does the tortured look so well. 

FHWZ-14-T.gif

I'm also not a huge fan of the pigtails too. I find myself staring at their heads to see if it's nicely round or if they slept too much on one side as a baby. :laugh:

Which novel of Jin Yong is the most well known? 

• Haha 4

You all are funny. I might be the only one who doesn't mind pigtails. LOL. 

There were prior drama adaptations of this story, but they're super dated - 1991 and 2006. The 2006 one under the name Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain was unique in that it adapted the both prequel and sequel of the novels together in one story.

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

Which novel of Jin Yong is the most well known? 

I would say the Condor Heroes trilogy --- Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre.

Edited by peperomia
Typo.
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1

Wow, a wuxia drama that actually has really great martial arts sequences in every episodes. It's fantastic and definitely scratches an itch. 

This is an entertaining watch and a really decent adaptation of a classic wuxia story. Even if it's filled with men with pigtails. 

It makes Alchemy of Souls look like amateur hour. 

• Haha 3

On 9/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

It makes Alchemy of Souls look like amateur hour. 

I've heard good and bad things about this drama. It was enough for me not to watch it. 

@NiteWalker I didn't notice it because I just assumed it's real. I think he usually sports a mustache, right? 

• Haha 2

I’ve watched up to episode 13 and do enjoy it. It’s clear they’ve heavily invested in the quality of the martial arts scenes. 40 episodes do worry me though and I know political agendas will get pulled into the plot. However, if the heart of wuxia continues to be the primary highlight --- especially in overriding evil, should be fine.

In terms of the romance, from what I know and have seen of the trailers, I’m expecting it to be on the heart-wrenching side for the 3 leads, but I’m here for the storytelling in how each one of them approaches love, friendship, and oath. So far, I like how it has developed Ziyi’s point of view and her deep bond with HF. The 9999 steps!

My only gripe are the villains. All are such sleazy slimeballs! Thankfully, the leads do meet good people along their journey. Ziyi’s newfound senior, Liu Hezhen of Weituo Sect, is a humble and respectable man. He handled the election of the new leader with such poise.

I see a lot of love for MRF/Lin Yu Shen which all is well deserved.

• Clapping Hands 1

@Tofu

Just saw your tag, I'm definitely wanna watch this for Lin Yu Shen not to mentioned the trailer brought back my childhood experiences of watching WuXia with a bunch of my GuGu and Nai Nai. I remember vaguely about watching Ray Lui as a ML in Something Flying  in Snowy Something. I was too young to remember it clearly.

Not a fan of pigtails too but well the lures of LYS in OG WuXia mode is too strong....:GengarCool:

@Yana

Wanna join??

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 1