Side Story of Fox Volant / Fei Hu Wai Zhuan 飞狐外传 [2022]

12 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@Tofu

Just saw your tag, I'm definitely wanna watch this for Lin Yu Shen not to mentioned the trailer brought back my childhood experiences of watching WuXia with a bunch of my GuGu and Nai Nai. I remember vaguely about watching Ray Lui as a ML in Something Flying  in Snowy Something. I was too young to remember it clearly.

Not a fan of pigtails too but well the lures of LYS in OG WuXia mode is too strong....:GengarCool:

@Yana

Wanna join??

Count me in...:cool:

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

This is definitely one of the best wuxia dramas in a long while. I like it much more than Sword Snow Stride even if that had Zhang Ruoyun in it. It's just a better adaptation of source material and the martial arts is really just so expansive and fantastically woven into the larger narrative.

Lin Yushen of course is great but he's not the main character. Miao Renfeng is a terrific character and he's been much maligned by his enemies. It's jealousy that's driving a lot of hostility towards him. Especially from Tian Gui Nong (Peter Ho) who is vain, insecure and has an overinflated view of himself. His outward confidence hides an overly sensitive nature about his mediocrity. In other words, he is ambitious but untalented. But he has just enough cunning to be dangerous. It's bad enough that he grabs another man's wife but he's managed to gaslight everyone into believing that he is the victim in all of this. He is his own moral compass which means that as long as he doesn't get his own way, a lot of people will get hurt.

Qin Junjie is rather good as the title character. Yes, he's reckless and naive, is far too much of a busy body but there's a charm in that. It's no wonder he has the ladies falling for him. He's part Guo Jing (Condor Heroes) and part Zhang Wuji (Heavenly Sword Dragon Sabre). At least he's humble about his shortcomings although he can't standby and watch innocents get bullied. Personally I find him adorable and either girls might do for him at this point. It is disappointing however that Yuan Ziyi can't be forthcoming about where she stands with him. It feels like she's trying to have a bet each way which makes me a little more partial towards Lingsu even if Hu Fei has fallen for Ziyi. 

Hu Fei is following the usual wuxia trajectory. An apprentice with no master although every master is his teacher. 

• Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.