Havenites Dabang

I'm glad everyone is loving The Sword and the Brocade. It's probably the only thread in China Charms I'm not visiting because I'm not a huge fan of concubine stories. :eeeee: However, I do think that Wallace Chung and Seven Tan look stunning. :wow:

@SilverMoonTea - I've only known Wallace as a musician/dancer so I can't recommend any other dramas to you. Maybe @NiteWalker or @Lynne will know more dramas with him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
11 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@SilverMoonTea - I've only known Wallace as a musician/dancer so I can't recommend any other dramas to you. Maybe @NiteWalker or @Lynne will know more dramas with him?

i watch him in 'The Sunshine' with TangYan...i didnt really follow him thru....though @UnniSara might knows a bit more about him since he seems to like him too lols

i remember hearing @UnniSara said that he is good in 'General & I' with Angelababy

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

After touching it in the OST thread, a question occured to me after realizing Fairy was my first drama that started m K-Drama Habits. 

Which Kdrama was the first you watched and how did you like it? Any special memories?

In my case I remember that I watched Fairy during various appointments at the dentist, so during this time I didn't calculate in weeks, I calculated in how many episodes will be aired between two appointments. My weeks started/ended at Wednesdays.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3
51 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

After touching it in the OST thread, a question occured to me after realizing Fairy was my first drama that started m K-Drama Habits. 

Which Kdrama was the first you watched and how did you like it? Any special memories?

I have watched too many dramas... can't really remember well. But I think my K-drama watching become worse after Master Sun. 

I remember I said So Ji Sub not handsome. Haha, then I ate my own word. He's amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

2 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@katakwasabi seems you are a fan of Shin Sung-rok lol. I am watching "On the way to the airport". His wife cheats on him. I bet you dislike her so much  😁😁 The drama is old, but it is rerun on KBSWORLD..  I remember you from "Perfume" thread lol.

She's not just a fan. She is a super fan! At the beginning, every reply here and at discord was accompanied by a SSR Gif. And they were all different gifs! Her collection is massive 😂🤣

47 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

In my case I remember that I watched Fairy during various appointments at the dentist, so during this time I didn't calculate in weeks, I calculated in how many episodes will be aired between two appointments. My weeks started/ended at Wednesdays.

Technically, the first k-drama I watched was "Secret Boutique" by Kim Sun-A in 2019. A friend was watching so I just tagged along. It was about a woman plotting to take back her family status/identity after it was stolen when her parents were killed. The story kept me following weekly but didn't make me want to watch k-dramas.

In Mar 2020, I watched "Crash Landing On You". I enjoyed it immensely. It opened my mind to k-dramas. Previously when friends talked about it, I thought they were crazy because all I saw were these pictures of young boys who all look alike 😆. CLOY made me start searching for k-dramas to watch. Of course Netflix's algorithms automatically prompted all the Hyun Bin dramas - so I clicked on "Memories of the Alhambra". Then I was a goner. And here I am.

Surprisingly, since Mar 2020, I have completed 20+ k-dramas and dumped another 20. That's too much TV in a year 😭 But I must say that some of the k-productions are really very good, especially when compared to HK which has been declining. The plots are entirely different so it has been interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
32 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I remember I said So Ji Sub not handsome. Haha, then I ate my own word. He's amazing. 

Oh I feel you. I remember I disliked Kim Young-Kwang for such a long time and had plenty of banter-talk with @abs-oluteMabout him. And then 'Lookout' was released and I turned 180 and agreed that he is a great actor. 

Curse you Noona, I loved to dislike him! :pandarage:

19 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Technically, the first k-drama I watched was "Secret Boutique" by Kim Sun-A in 2019. A friend was watching so I just tagged along. It was about a woman plotting to take back her family status/identity after it was stolen when her parents were killed. The story kept me following weekly but didn't make me want to watch k-dramas.

In Mar 2020, I watched "Crash Landing On You". I enjoyed it immensely. It opened my mind to k-dramas. Previously when friends talked about it, I thought they were crazy because all I saw were these pictures of young boys who all look alike 😆. CLOY made me start searching for k-dramas to watch. Of course Netflix's algorithms automatically prompted all the Hyun Bin dramas - so I clicked on "Memories of the Alhambra". Then I was a goner. And here I am.

Surprisingly, since Mar 2020, I have completed 20+ k-dramas and dumped another 20. That's too much TV in a year 😭 But I must say that some of the k-productions are really very good, especially when compared to HK which has been declining. The plots are entirely different so it has been interesting.

That's very interesting. So you started with a crime-like thriller drama and it didn't catch you? I remember Memories of the Alhambra, I think I actually wanted to watch it because of Lee Si Won, but actually never did. 

My curse that I really don't like to watch dramas after they aired. When I see a finished drama with 16-20 episodes to watch, I immediately lose interest. I need to have this weekly 2 episodes routine. 

Oh, no worries. During my Drama High Tide in 2018/2019 I think I had similar numbers, with the exception that I dumped drama left, right and center. @abs-oluteMeven made jokes about it all the time, since I have a reputation of dumping dramas for the silliest things after one episode. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
23 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@NiteWalkerbtw u managed to lure me back to China Charm lols... this harem drama addictive. I even ignore SJK & LSJ 😃

You're making me want to try this. I love harem/concubine politics!

52 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I thought that too when I knew nothing and watched Master's Sun. Then I googled and realised both were A listers 😱

9 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

That's very interesting. So you started with a crime-like thriller drama and it didn't catch you? I remember Memories of the Alhambra, I think I actually wanted to watch it because of Lee Si Won, but actually never did. 

My curse that I really don't like to watch dramas after they aired. When I see a finished drama with 16-20 episodes to watch, I immediately lose interest. I need to have this weekly 2 episodes routine. 

Oh Lee Si Won had a very small role, and not well liked because she left Hyun Bin, her husband for another man. I mean, who leaves Hyun Bin 🙄🤣 (joking). Secret Boutique was a bit slow-moving, so not a good gauge for thriller - this is one of my fave genres. But Kim Sun-A's clothes rocked haha.

That's so strange. Isn't it so much better to binge? You don't mind waiting that 5 days for the next episode?

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 2/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, mademoiselle said:

Hahahaha I guess I'll probably end up throwing out 99% of them then. So expired I reckon.

:psweatduck: Please use the non-expired more often so they don't go the way of the expired ones!

On 2/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, JenL said:

Also good to know you've had a chance to catch up on Run On - that series had such good film references and cute KTO 

The film references totally fly over my head tbh. But I enjoy the dialogue and Sooyoung as an actress is such a revelation to me! Two more episodes left but I can't seem to bring myself to finish it because I don't want to see any dumb noble gestures!

Edited by Jane
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Wallace Chung got any other good drama?

I like this one... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sunshine

I have only watched him in one other drama - the General & I with Angelababy. His chemie with her was not bad too, good actually,  but I think the middle part of the plot drag to much. I had to FF or read recaps. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_and_I 

Their skinship in the drama quite electrifying at times

tumblr_ola1s6B2OC1sz9a0xo2_500.gifv

13 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Haha ep 9 liao. I'm not fast forwarding. I enjoyed those concubine bickering. Me & @abs-oluteMthankful we didn't born on that era :laugh:

HIM lost my interest on ep 2. I didn't like the school girl portion and can't relate. (Yeah im old left school bench eon ago...haha)

I will not survive that era...I cannot sew for my life and I cannot scheme like those concubines!

4 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@katakwasabi seems you are a fan of Shin Sung-rok lol. I am watching "On the way to the airport". His wife cheats on him. I bet you dislike her so much  😁😁 The drama is old, but it is rerun on KBSWORLD..  I remember you from "Perfume" thread lol.

ooo this drama...it was partly shot in my country ...ahahaha since it was sponsored by one of our local airlines. I was actually hooked on that show when it was airing.

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

You're making me want to try this. I love harem/concubine politics!

Try it....I am not a fan of these harem scheming but this one just hooked me in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

2 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Oh I feel you. I remember I disliked Kim Young-Kwang for such a long time and had plenty of banter-talk with @abs-oluteMabout him. And then 'Lookout' was released and I turned 180 and agreed that he is a great actor. 

You have to trust my taste...ahahaha . KYK has grown a lot as an actor. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

19 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Try it....I am not a fan of these harem scheming but this one just hooked me in.

@ChocolateI was not knowing the drama theme is harem lols. @NiteWalkerdidn't warned me hahaha. I just know the settings look beautiful & its no 1 most anticipated JH drama. However, the Marquis (I think lower than Duke rank) so cool looking, I can't help but dragged around into all this concubine endless scheming world  :laugh: 

Since you already into concubine politics, I think you surely will love this. Wait for you at the thread then... :hearties:

@abs-oluteM Mr Sunshine on my waiting list. I got too many dramas, for the sake of my sleeping beauty I really can't add more now. I also got couple of variety show. @DarkarcanaMouse , maybe need to wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Descendants of the Sun....my first kdrama oppa crush was Song Joong Ki. Think it was me & millions of other women. DOTS wasn't exactly the best show out there - but it was fun . I always remember how @staygold describes it - cheesy with flair. Of course over time I got a lot more discerning with what I would consider as very good dramas 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

That's so strange. Isn't it so much better to binge? You don't mind waiting that 5 days for the next episode?

I don't care about the 5 days, yes. I actually like it, gives you room to breath, something to look forward to each week and doesn't give me the feeling to continue watching. When I can binge watch something I am really bad at limiting myself.

I think most people prefer to binge watch, but I actually don't like it. It's different though if I already watched a drama. 

Binge Watching Healer for example was much more comfy. 

17 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

You have to trust my taste...ahahaha . KYK has grown a lot as an actor. 

:pandathink:Yeah, he actually did I guess. He was really good in Lookout. 

12 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Descendants of the Sun....my first kdrama oppa crush was Song Joong Ki. Think it was me & millions of other women. DOTS wasn't exactly the best show out there - but it was fun . I always remember how @staygold describes it - cheesy with flair. Of course over time I got a lot more discerning with what I would consider as very good dramas 

Cheese with flair fits it perfectly. It had highs and lows. My favorite still was Kim Ji-Won throughout the drama. When Coconut (kokodus) asked me to watch it with her, I really enjoyed her role and had a crush. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

ooo this drama...it was partly shot in my country ...ahahaha since it was sponsored by one of our local airlines. I was actually hooked on that show when it was airing.

It is a good drama although somehow I don't support cheating but I am glad she left her narcissistic husband in the end. 

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, Dhakra said:

I don't remember the title anymore, but it was about two students who had a one night stand that resulted to a child. After a few years, the guy, now a pilot, met her again when he answered a plea for blood/marrow donor since he was a match. He then learns that he fathered a little girl, and wanted to do the right thing - marry the mother and claim the daughter as his own. The twist is that the grandmother of his child refuses to let her daughter marry him, cos "he's just a pilot".

Why it's memorable? Snooty grandma was calmly saying to find another donor for the toddler; Never mind if the little girl dies, just don't have anything to do with the father.

Did I like it? Kind of, cos I remember that it had a nice OST. Good ending too, since the parents married behind grandma's back, and little girl got well. The grandma's reaction, LOL!

This was so long ago when Kdrama started to be exported. The drama was "batchmates" with Jewel in the Palace and Endless Love. 😅

Edited by MayanEcho
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

10 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Haha, I think I talk about this one a lot...The 1st shop of Coffee Prince was my first Kdrama. I may possibly have watched a Taiwanese drama before Kdramas, but this was the first one I remember and the first drawcard. Gong Yoo was my very first oppa :BulbaOWO: I loved it for the OST which was very indie, the girl-dresses-as-boy-and-gets-mistaken storyline and the tortured love based on misunderstanding. Poor Gong Yoo's character is so confused! :laugh:

9 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Hahaha, this has happened to me before I'm sure. You think you'll never like x actor....then all of a sudden you love them forever. :lenny:

9 hours ago, Dhakra said:

This is interesting! Usually a lot of people I meet like to wait till a series has finished to binge....then they like to watch several episodes together. Maybe it's a patience thing? Haha, you're the first person I've heard of who likes a schedule! But then again most people think it's weird I like having 1 episode per week as opposed to 2 episodes! :laugh:

I like both live watch and completed-series watching, but will swap at times. Live watching Kdramas is more fun in my opinion because everyone else is watching, so you can discus things and figure out things with other fans and all the behind the scenes content - additional videos and pictures from the stations/ actors - make more sense and builds up excitement for the show. And I guess even though most dramas are filmed earlier, because they are often still filming when it airs, it feels oddly real time which is fun. But it is energy intensive to live watch and I find myself much more addicted to the dramas. If I want a drama break, but still want to watch them, I take a live-watch break, which means I pick up an old series and watch it in any time I want (could binge, but mostly watch 1 episode a day/ a week). I'm less likely to watch behind the scenes content etc for things passed since I feel FOMO as it happened years ago etc. Oh well, you can't have it all :idk:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@JenL@DhakraBinge watching is better for me. As I felt the story will feel more connected. The problem is because I have short term memory, if need to wait 1 week I will forget last week story. I think @SnowBlobwill agree with me 

Also sometimes while waiting for next week episode out, I can just decided I have enough of the drama and don't want to watch anymore :poliWeird:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Awesome 1

12 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I have watched too many dramas... can't really remember well. But I think my K-drama watching become worse after Master Sun. 

LOL, SJS is a good actor + he has got good abs !

Have seen couple of his drama and the ones I like most is Cain and Abel.

:hearties:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

LOL, SJS is a good actor + he has got good abs !

Have seen couple of his drama and the ones I like most is Cain and Abel.

:hearties:

Cain & Abel - not a sad story? I avoid this as seems makjang. 

47 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

That’s probably because your mind is full of oppas so there’s no space left for other things 😂

True. Should I reduce my oppas intake 🤣? But,

@abs-oluteMsaid : "An oppa a day keeps the doctor away."

• Haha 3