Now, We Are Breaking Up, 지금, 헤어지는 중입니다 [2021-22]

Hmm, not sure if this drama is for you @SilverMoonTea since you like the slow burn type. Here, they are already making out in the introductory scene 😂 You drop once they get together right? 🤣

img.gif

I thought I wasn’t going to watch this. Have to admit, I have an irrational bias against the lead actress. But the premise was interesting, exactly the type of romance I like. Plus director did Dr Romantic 2 and writer did Misty. So I decided to keep an open mind and started ep1.

It was surprisingly watchable.

First off, the first scene showed the FL in a hot cinch with a male. You don’t see much making out but the kiss was good. No tongue but it is open mouth which is so much better than all these actresses who usually just part their lips a little and don’t move thereafter (seems to be a Korean thing). This also shows a strong female who knows and enjoys what she wants - in this case, a one night stand 😁.

(I’m going to use the actor’s real initials as can’t remember the character names yet.)

Spoiler

Ep1 takes place during fashion week (in Paris I think since they keep speaking French). SHK leads a team of designers at a fashion house. She has to fire fight for the daughter of her boss, whose boyfriend (a model for the company) just got caught with another woman.

She informs the boyfriend that he may have to pay penalties for the bad press then leaves the hotel room. The model chases SHK and begs for another chance. He says things that gives the impression that SHK has just been two timed. And JKY is standing there seeing this 🤪

The boss’s daughter is too distraught to go for a dinner arranged by her father. So SHK turns up instead pretending to be her. And who is being matchmade by his mother - JKY! He is conned by his friend to attend. SHK is really only there for the food and works through the meal. You can see that JKY is a little intrigue by this woman so he stays too.

As SHK is leaving, she has bad news from her staff and decides to reshoot photos. But where to find a photographer? Aha! She remembers that JKY was one during their dinner conversation. So she chases him down and offers him a “part time” assignment telling him it would be good for his reputation/portfolio 🤪

JKY turns up at the shoot. SHK tries to give him instructions but he tells her he will handle it. JKY is convincing as a professional photographer. The staff ooh and ahh. The photos turn out beautiful. SHK is of course suitably impressed.

img.jpg

Next scene, SHK has lost the account that the photos were for. She tries to convince the Frenchman but was not successful. In walks JKY and the Frenchman is dying to work with him. And that’s how SHK finds out how in demand JKY is 😉

Then we find out:

JKY was the guy she had the one night stand with! Why did they pretend not to know each other? You watch. Can you imagine the earlier scene with the model - he must be thinking how many men does this woman have? 😂 

img.jpg

I’m not feeling the chemistry between the two leads though (but I am biased so don’t take my word for it). Will probably continue watching until it turns melo, considering the title. 

All images credit to @silvertrhee:

https://silvertrhee.tistory.com/332?category=1059283

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 2
12 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Hmm, not sure if this drama is for you @SilverMoonTea since you like the slow burn type. Here, they are already making out in the introductory scene 😂 You drop once they get together right? 🤣

Haha you're absolutely right Choco. I was planning to watch this, but decided to back off. Sorry @movingwheel😅 

@mademoiselle@abs-oluteMdid informed me. It reminded me of WWW, JKY always choose character that slept in 1st episode somehow ahahahaa... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

I couldn't help it. JKY just dragged me in as I was flipping around the stations. Okay, is it totally sad/perverted/whatever that I recognized him from his voice and his body?? There is just something about him that keeps me watching him... the problem, of course, is that when he's not on screen, it kind of turns boring.

Actually, the drama is interesting as well as a slow burn, which is all well and good. The problem, for me, is that it's set up like a tragedy. After the first 2 episodes, it's clear that JK and HY have feelings for each other as well as hormones. The problem is that it seems to indicate that HY had dated JK's brother who is dead. Brothers interested in the same woman never ends well in kdramas.

JKY does seem to be recycling some characteristics from Search: WWW in his demeanor and his character - a hot, brilliant, soft-spoken, respectful, independent man who is comfortable with himself, including putting himself out there for his love interest who is an older woman.  However, I love that character, so I don't mind. I am just not in the mood for a sad drama, so I may wait until all episodes have dropped to decide if I want to continue.

SHK also seems to be doing a bit of recycling from her character in Encounter, though this time she's a woman working for the company rather than a woman working for her own company.  Though perhaps there is not that much of an age difference between their characters versus their RL ages?

As for the drama itself, it poses some interesting questions, and it has some really annoying characters, but that's about par for the course. Plus, it seems that it's creating a possible love triangle with the daughter of the company who has now decided that she's going to have JK. Or perhaps it's a love square including the dead brother. Though to be fair, the daughter of the company being interested in JK just means that she'll probably be nasty to HY once she realizes that he's interested in HY rather than herself. And, the dead brother is kind of dead anyway. Still, the dead brother thing is pretty foreboding.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@stroppyse i did watch both the episodes and On the contrary , i quite liked it.... although the starting prelude music did give me that melodramatic vibe but when it started , i actually liked the flow for both the episodes and enjoyed it.

I think Jang Ki Yong's character was more intrigued with SHK's character...

There IS a story of dead brother in the equation but more foreboding to me is that good for nothing director and her chaebol father.... and also JKY's mother.... 

Regarding make out scene , this is my first time seeing SHK in a bold scene and she did not disappoint me...

I alsolutely adore her lipsticks and few of her outfits but then its Song Hye Kyo...

@abs-oluteM @SilverMoonTea @mademoiselle @ktcjdrama Come on , nobody is watching it????

@Chocolate i am on the same boat..... i am yet to feel their chemistry..!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

3 hours ago, movingwheel said:

Come on , nobody is watching it????

:laugh: I'm not sure I will pick this up. The story doesn't seem interesting for me, and I have tonnes of dramas to watch now. This week I'm already very behind with some of the new episodes. I might even have to drop (or put on hold) one or two dramas :nervous:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, movingwheel said:

@stroppyse i did watch both the episodes and On the contrary , i quite liked it.... although the starting prelude music did give me that melodramatic vibe but when it started , i actually liked the flow for both the episodes and enjoyed it.

I think Jang Ki Yong's character was more intrigued with SHK's character...

There IS a story of dead brother in the equation but more foreboding to me is that good for nothing director and her chaebol father.... and also JKY's mother.... 

Regarding make out scene , this is my first time seeing SHK in a bold scene and she did not disappoint me...

I alsolutely adore her lipsticks and few of her outfits but then its Song Hye Kyo...

@abs-oluteM @SilverMoonTea @mademoiselle @ktcjdrama Come on , nobody is watching it????

@Chocolate i am on the same boat..... i am yet to feel their chemistry..!!! 

I'm watching! But about to fall asleep here, so will give my 2.5cents worth when I'm up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning! I’m back! :eeeee:

After the weekend’s premiere episodes, this was my first thought:

Is this Encounter 2.0??

From the cast (except for Jang Ki Young and Choi Hee Seo) to the storyline (chaebol parent demanding “you will wear what I send you”, “you will do as I tell you”), everything looked quite so familiar albeit repackaged in slightly different ways. There’s the…

• man-from-the-past (although dead, certainly haunting - all pun intended) vs man-in-the-present.

• controlling chaebol mum, though she seems a little more regretful and contrite now that she’s lost a son before - but we can imagine the drama to ensue (“What?! She again?? Andwae! Cheoltae andwae!!).

• commoner mum who wants to get into the social graces of the supposedly more respectable family with the respectable son (though I cannot see how a son who goes for one-night stands can be considered respectable). 

• mistaken/garbled identity guy who’s rejected by the female sidekick who will undoubtedly fall for his rough charms subsequently. 

• you-are-indebted-to-me-so-suck-it-up relationship that the female lead is tied to 

• younger, dashing male lead who defies all social norms (though he has a much more devil may care attitude, cos this time, he’s rich)

Did I miss out on anything else?

I agree with some of the write ups saying that they’ve introduced some unnecessary drama with the dead brother relationship. Not sure if this is the kind of story people want to deal with these days. But if dramas are a form of social commentary, then I reckon that’s one other cultural struggle Koreans or Asians need to deal with? But you have to admit, that she gets involved with siblings, even though one has already passed on, seems like a very cruel fate to put someone through. I cannot see how this sort of thing will not be criticised by society. Especially if, as it is made to seem now, he committed suicide because the family rejected their relationship? 

Will I keep watching it? For now, yes, cos I’m actually curious about the actress noona that he called to turn up at the event and what her relationship to the family is. Is she relative? She did regard Ha Young Eun quite coldly, and I do wonder if the ladies actually know each other, but in HYE style - “why do I have to acknowledge that I know you?”

Let’s see how unnecessarily dramatic this will turn out to be. 

Edited by gilaswan
autocorrect typos - tsk tsk
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@gilaswan i did not quite understand how that actress noona actually turn up here.... she kept looking at her for obvious reasons.... but i did not quite understnad how can she be not perturbed when she sees the same guy she slept with in front him as a blind date for her friend...!!!! 

The starting track seemed a lot sad but SHK is synonymous to melo drama.... though it taxes me...!!! i am going to watch as of now.... Although the chemistry between leads are still not clicking to me...

The only thing is I am not yet bored....

• Like 4

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

9 hours ago, movingwheel said:

@gilaswan i did not quite understand how that actress noona actually turn up here.... she kept looking at her for obvious reasons.... but i did not quite understnad how can she be not perturbed when she sees the same guy she slept with in front him as a blind date for her friend...!!!! 

The starting track seemed a lot sad but SHK is synonymous to melo drama.... though it taxes me...!!! i am going to watch as of now.... Although the chemistry between leads are still not clicking to me...

The only thing is I am not yet bored....

She did look someone distracted, possibly even disturbed, that the guy she expected to leave behind in France appeared before her in Busan. But it appears her hardened philosophy is to ignore and not acknowledge. And the truth is, there are people like that around. I’m sure even we have deliberately chosen not to acknowledge certain people from our past when we encounter them in our present for whatever reason. Or we might even have been on the receiving end of being treated as stranger. It is what it is and she has a valid reason too - she clearly doesn’t want to be encumbered by what she views to be trappings of emotional relationships. I look at how she interacts with Chi Sook and I don’t think there’s any semblance of an actual friendship of any sort either - the relationship is purely transactional, and Chi Sook would be ready to throw her under the bus in a heartbeat. I already dislike her to the core. 

Aside - does anyone feel SHK has brought with her into this character her real self too? As she did with Encounter? The melancholy she brought to her character in Encounter seemed to mirror her real life experiences and challenges then (as we would come to know about eventually back then). Likewise the liberation from a failed relationship in her personal life seems to be carried over to the portrayal of this character now. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
On 11/15/2021 at 7:05 AM, gilaswan said:

Aside - does anyone feel SHK has brought with her into this character her real self too? As she did with Encounter? The melancholy she brought to her character in Encounter seemed to mirror her real life experiences and challenges then (as we would come to know about eventually back then). Likewise the liberation from a failed relationship in her personal life seems to be carried over to the portrayal of this character now. 

While she was filming Encounter, she was still married, though they were probably already having problems. However, SHK does do melancholy well, for instance, her role in That Winter The Wind Blows.

There is a certain pathos to her role here in NWABU that does feel deeper as well as showing the steely inner side that she really seems to have. In some ways, it makes it harder to watch her performance.

Anyway, Ha Young Eun has hardened her heart against any relationships, focusing on her career. She will enjoy a physical interaction to reinforce her confidence in her own attractiveness and because she gets lonely, but she doesn't want any distractions from the life she's built. It seems this attitude was one she already had, but was further hardened by a relationship that she had had previously with Yoon Soo Wan. From her POV, Soo Wan left her high and dry when they were supposed to meet up, then went completely radio silent. What she doesn't know is that he was speeding to make it to their date, and died in a car accident that night. And now we find out that Yoon Jae Gook is the younger brother to Soo Wan who had broken YE's heart back then.

So, the most pressing question in my mind is why no one has told YE that her lover had died. I mean, people knew about her relationship with SW and also that he died. Someone told Jae Gook after all that Ha Young Eun was "that" Ha Young Eun.

Next question for me is whether JG is going to tell YE. At the end of episode 3, when he turned and went back to YE, I thought it was to tell her that SW had died. However, it was instead to determine how much he and YE affected each other. Well, that was a very hot kiss, even if tinged in sadness for both of them.

I keep thinking that this is going to end with break ups all around, though I hope not.

The pacing is very, very slow. There is slow burn, then there is slow to the point of flipping channels confident in the knowledge that you won't be missing much if you decide to turn back. Still on the fence in terms of watching this, despite appreciating the heck out JKY whenever he's on screen, and acknowledging that the acting talent in general is impressive. Perhaps I should wait until it's halfway over, binge that, and see if the second half paces better.

Then again, did I mention appreciating the heck out of JKY? I do feel his chemistry with SHK in their respective roles. Otherwise, the thought of them engaging in love that will leave them both hurting wouldn't hurt me so much. Also, this is JKY's last project since he went to do his military service after he finished filming, so I feel as if I should watch it.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • 1 month later...

Looks like this thread totally died! @stroppyse@movingwheel@abs-oluteM@Chocolate@ktcjdrama

After a long and painful trudge, the drama has finally come to an end. And in the end, the lead couple's story was the least interesting. I hung around (and scrubbed forward lots) because of everyone else's story. Everything else between the leads was ironically, secondary. How did everyone else survive it? Hahaha...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I paid attention for 2 or 3 episodes then stopped. My friend was watching the subsequent episodes and I listened with half a ear while scrolling through my phone - without reading subs, I had no idea what was happening except that SHK's voice seems like a flatline - expressionless?

I thought it was sad that the friend had pancreatic cancer - did she survive?

• Like 4

i stopprd at ep 5.... 90% of the time why things are hapenning and why the hell the world around lead couple is so stupid !!! secondly SHK's acting can be A LOTTTT better ....the scenes where she finds out about best friend's cancer , she could have done a lot more bettter.... plus she has a tendency of trying to look good while crying..... sometimes that does not work... a lot of times actually...i really love those actors who does not think how they look on screen while crying../.. eenough of my rant....phew...

• Haha 4

Currently watching

K-Drama :