Ordinary Greatness 警察荣誉 [2022]

@SilverMoonTea @40somethingahjummaI caught the first 4 episodes and it was an addictive and engaging watch. This reminds me of the kdrama Live, where we get a first hand look at the tedious & less glamorous side of police work. A far cry from all the murder mysteries and big crime shows that we're so used to.   

I love watching the 4 new cadets with different personalities, as they work with their mentors and realise that true police work is not only about chasing & catching the baddies. More often than not, it is the day to day surveillance work & community building that would prove useful and handy in the long run to keep the residents safe. Of the four , Li Da Wei is the most colorful personality here. He makes me laugh. Though he  lacks experience and is perhaps overenthusiastic (which annoys the seniors), I appreciate his positivity. From the scene with his mother, you can see where his confidence and outlook comes from. Love the mother-son relationship. Contrast that with Xia Jie's mother - what a world of difference. Both are single mums but XJ's mum has such a negative outlook and puts so much burden on XJ. I really feel sorry for XJ. And I feel her frustration when everyone around her tries to protect her and gives her privileges  when all she really wants is to learn to be a good cop. Her father's heroic legacy is holding back her growth.

The mentors and the chief are such interesting characters too. The Chief in particular is such a nice guy and is good at people management.  I look forward to seeing more of how the mentors will also learn from our rookies here. 

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

@abs-oluteMand @SilverMoonTea

Zhang Ruoyun who plays Li Dawei is one of my favourite C actors. He is probably one of the best C actors around. He excels in playing quirky characters. A while back he was involved in a remake of the Taiwanese drama In Time With You. He was superb although the script and the female lead weren't the best. 

One of these days if either of you have time, you should try Joy of Life. He is just hilariously wonderful in it.

He's married and is already a dad and yet he can still pass off for as a guy in his early twenties.

Xia Jie's mother is honestly hers and her daughter's worst enemy. As I've said before many times, she needs a hobby and/or a new husband. The way she clings to her adult daughter is just embarrassing for a woman of her age. The emotional blackmail has me rolling my eyes constantly. At her age, she should be having her own life without intervening in her daughter's.

Anyway, she's not the only gaslighting mother in this show. Sadly. Yeah, Dawei's mother is such a startling contrast. She's amazing. Wait till you see her try to befriend Xia Jie's mother. LOL. Just what the doctor ordered.

@abs-oluteM

It is a great show. Even though I don't agree with how some situations play out or are resolved (and maybe there are cultural issues to be considered) in this, I still find this an immensely watchable show with a whole variety of very interesting characters. I love the station chief the most, followed by Li Dawei and his mother. But yeah, I really enjoy the the mentor-apprentice dynamics in this. Very relatable, very heartwarming.

• Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjummaYou should try Sparrow republican drama too. He's second lead but do have a lot of exposure and at times even more stellar than Li Yi Feng. I asked @Tofuto watch since she's into LYF a lot these days. The drama have a lot of plot twists and turns and I think it will be something that you will enjoy. 

ZRY definitely is a keep, he really can live up to any characters he's assigned too. The drama which less memorable for me is Migratory Bird, but maybe because the story was quite gloomy so it didn't really sit well with me. I'll take note on Joy of Life. 

Having said that, recently C dramas really didn't dissapoint me. I'm really satisfied with this drama, it has a lot of life lesson and felt very close at heart. This year I think is a new era for C drama land. 

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

You know what's my issue with this drama...I cannot stop once I start. :laugh:. I told myself I will watch one episode and ended up watching 5. I am up to eps 9 now.

I realise now what the charm of this show is for me. It is the human touch in how the cases and issues are being solved. These community cases are tricky to handle - it isn't clear cut or as simple as putting the baddie behind bars. Often it is conflict between neighbours or ordinary citizens. With  social media etc , they need to be careful with how they deal with the problem and have to be concerned with netizens' comments.  A lot of the work involves mediation which requires good PR.  Li Da Wei & his fellow cadets are surely in for a ride.

Some observations so far 

- I was surprised Da Wei's father is still alive. But I am so not comfortable with the mother taking him back again given his track record in the past. 

- Happy that Xia Jie moved out and is standing up to her mother.

- Zhao Ji Wei is such a great kid. I like how he's been helping Da Wei and looks out for him. I hope he gets to do more 'exciting cases' soon for exposure.

- Yang Shu is also growing on me. I like how he dealt with the suicide case - he didn't shy away from his responsibility unlike his mentor. I have not really warmed up to his mentor Cao Jian Jun. I know he's a good cop & is like the superstar of the station. But he lost my respect and YangShu's when he pushed responsibility of the suicide case on YS. 

Best person here is the Chief. Really has a heart of gold....I teared up when he fund raised for the old man who was abandoned by his son and needed $$ to pay for the hospital bill. (I wonder how come in China they don't have social services to deal with this sort of things) . Sadly the old man was abusive and didn't deserve it. Poor Da Wei who had to change his diapers! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

@abs-oluteM@40somethingahjummaI actually felt not ready this drama going to end soon. The title is just perfect, because eventhough the drama felt ordinary but it's really not. It mixed of friendship, family, teamwork and also bring awareness of the society issue. Ordinary greatness it is! 

I'm on ep 33 and the chief visiting Jiajun's house just bringing me close to tears. He didn't forget his family. And they have an event for all the policemen family. It's a bit sad that the team member still busy with the case and can't join them. 

I think this really a different flavour of C drama that I really appreciate. I think C drama really have a lot of potential these days. 

@NiteWalkerThanks again! Hope you also enjoy this drama. 

• Clapping Hands 3
  • Tasty 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

i really do enjoy the first episodes....the bus episode thats is and how they welcome the newbies into their fold....

the chief and ex-student hahha they are cute...how the ex-student actually drag the chief out by walking away and the chief follow soon after...

i stop at the place where the old grandma son and daughter in law were in the station complaining about how DaWei handle the granny and being suspicious of her...

in between the husband and wife it show the prefect balance of a normal family...a mother who is from the rural area or having a hard times coping with a child in the city....and a son who are frustrated and angry at the thought how the mother had been accuse of...and a daughter in law who is reasonable enough to see that DaWei meant no harm...as he was pretty polite when he was handling the granny...it just happen that he didnt have the badge just YET to proof that he is a policeman to handle the situation hahaha

a warm hearted community that showing care in a different ways and how they look into the welfare of others....

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Oh man... those last two episodes just killed me. The finale saw me bawling my eyes out. Oh dear. 

Spoiler

I feel so bad for Jianjun's wife and kid

But what a great drama from start to finish -- it's made me laugh, cry, shake my fists and sigh. My favourite part of the whole series was the mismatched mentor-apprentice dynamic. That was so well written and unfolded in deeply moving ways. I especially loved Dawei and Xicheng's relationship. 

Easily one of the best C dramas made. 

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

If anyone's interested I've posted a review for the drama here:

I've avoided big spoilers as much as possible.

If there's anyone who's wondering if you should watch this, yes, you should. There's no romance among the leads but it's one of the best shows you will see this year. I'm calling it now.

The script, the acting and the direction are top-notch. It's a journey worth undertaking even if at times, the characters drive you up the wall.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I am up to eps 13. Xia Jie's arc in this drama is really frustrating especially her mother and all the senior cops trying to protect her. But the thing that annoyed me was how they forced XJ to apologise to that Dr Wu over something that wasn't XJ's fault to begin with. She did her job but the woman (Dr Wu) was taking her own frustrations out on XJ and the system. I agree that alot of things cannot be solved by the book etc, but the police force giving so much face to a person just because she keeps complaining doesn't seem right to me. The police force is here to enforce rules and keep community safe - not to pander to someone's wishes. 

On a more positive note, I love that the four are staying together and you can see how close and supportive they have become of each other. I don't know if there's romance here but it seems like Yang Shu may have taken an interest in XJ? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@40somethingahjumma @SilverMoonTea I just completed this ....this was a great show and there are many things I liked about it. I can't say I can fully agree on how things are solved but I get the drama is trying to show a more human side to the police force. I enjoyed watching the growth of our rookies, the development of their relationship with their mentors and even their personal stories. Except for JJ's mother - I hated her scenes so much that I had to watch it at 2 times the speed. Poor Da Wei's mother who got roped in to be her friend - she's truly an angel. My favourite character was the Chief . He's a great father figure and he is the heartbeat of the station. 

...but right now I am broken hearted....

JianJun....Why???? 

Coming to think of it , I think he's always been on a self-destructive path from the start. It took me awhile to like him especially because I felt he was glory seeking and I didn't quite like how he dealt with certain things while mentoring Yang Shu. But I understood him better when I saw his MIL , and I appreciated the relationship between him and his wife. Then I couldn't believe he made such a stupid mistake over some drinks while celebrating. And next thing you know he just lost it all...and from then on, he pretty much never recovered. I feel so bad for his wife & daughter. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@abs-oluteM What a coincidence…I also just finished it!

I’ve been busy so it took me over a course of 3 weeks, but I think I enjoyed it more taking my time to watch it. The vibe is different from the recent police/detective dramas I’ve seen which were mostly dark and heavily centered on the procedurals. I loved that it highlighted the close-knit team and the many degrees in the relationships between the chief, seniors and rookies. The chief seemed to be the rock of the station, but so were the seniors and rookies to each other. @40somethingahjumma, I agree the best part was the mismatched pairings of the si-fu and tu-di. Da Wei and Chen Xin Cheng was my favorite too. I adore all the characters (minus Xia Jie’s mother), but if I were to pick one…Chen Xin Cheng would have to be my personal favorite. He came across as a little prickly at first, but as the story unfolded, it was clear he had a heart of gold. The way that he cared about Da Wei, his daughter and the people in the community touched me. He went above and beyond his duties to help Xiao Li get her life back on track.

I also appreciated that there was humor too…mostly thanks to Da Wei and his mother. It’s understandable where he may gotten some of his personality from. LOL.

But, my gosh, the last episode was such a cry fest! It was so heartbreaking all around, especially for Jian Jun’s wife and daughter. The tragedy reminded me of Xia Jie’s backstory which was unfortunate, but I know the sacrifice of police officers is not something uncommon. The only comforting part was the welcoming back of Jian Jun to the force and I know his comrades will look after his family in his place. Also, Yang Shu…it was nice to see his return. When he and Da Wei embraced each other, I almost lost it again.

Does anyone think there could be a season 2? Even chances may be slim, I am hoping so! Nevertheless, it was a memorable cast, and I will definitely take note of them in their next projects. (I am drama-less now. Good Detective 2 may be my next watch which I am excited for.)

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
5 hours ago, peperomia said:

Does anyone think there could be a season 2? Even chances may be slim, I am hoping so! Nevertheless, it was a memorable cast, and I will definitely take note of them in their next projects. (I am drama-less now. Good Detective 2 may be my next watch which I am

I would love a S2 . It would be nice to see their growth say a year on now that they are officially police officers. 

Good Detective 2 is on my list . Excited for that as I loved the 1st one . Perhaps you can check out Extraordinary Attorney Woo . A very touching show so far - seen from the perspective of a lawyer who’s on the Autism spectrum. 

• Clapping Hands 1

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I would love a S2 . It would be nice to see their growth say a year on now that they are officially police officers.

Totally agree...I do think there is enough material for a season 2. I was perusing around Twitter and saw this post about it. Not sure how true it is, but I'm keeping my hopes high! :eeeee:

I also saw this photoshoot of the 4 friends. Looks like it was for Bazaar. They look good! :wow:

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Good Detective 2 is on my list . Excited for that as I loved the 1st one . Perhaps you can check out Extraordinary Attorney Woo . A very touching show so far - seen from the perspective of a lawyer who’s on the Autism spectrum

Alright! I will try to check out the GD2 thread later. Extraordinary Attorney Woo seems like a great story. I will look it up!