The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

Lee Junho’s Abs Reveal in ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’ Causes Internet Frenzy + Watch How the 2PM Member Prepares for His Scene

BY Shai Collins Nov 29, 2021 08:51 PM EST

MBC's "The Red Sleeve Cuff" continued to drop explosive and enthralling scenes that won the viewers hearts.

2PM's Junho heated up the primetime with his unconventional half-naked body exposure during the bathtub scene with Lee Se Young.

In "The Red Sleeve Cuff" episode 6, netizens were stunned by the sudden abs reveal of Lee Junho, making the drama receive lots of anticipation from the audience.

Lee Junho's Bathtub Scene Causes Internet Into Frenzy

In the latest drama episode that aired on November 27, Yi San's (Lee Junho) intense encounter with Sung Deok Im (Lee Se Young) received explosive reactions from the viewers. As his drama comeback, the "Wok of Love" actor proved his high-caliber acting by portraying the role of a crown prince.

Even though the series just had started, fans and viewers were already amazed by how much improvement Junho continued to show in the drama

Spoiler

‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’ Episode 6: Lee Junho and Lee Se Young Had an Intense Encounter

Part of his preparation every time he has upcoming series is to undergo diet and do various workouts to build a good physique. In one of his previous entertainment program appearances, Junho shared that he has done dieting for his bath scene in "The Red Sleeve Cuff," which estimatedly run for three minutes. The idol-actor confessed how hard it was to be on a diet for a long time.

How the 2PM Member Prepares for His Half-Naked Body Reveal in 'The Red Sleeve Cuff'

Meanwhile, after his iconic abs reveal in episode 6, MBC unveiled the behind-the-scenes video of the bath scene on its official YouTube channel and Instagram account. The "Good Manager" star enthusiastically does exercises using dumbbells to enhance his muscles right before the camera rolls, he also did push-ups.

Lee Se Young, on the other hand, amazingly watches her co-star making efforts for his iconic scene. A fun fact about their bathtub scene was revealed by the actress during their Twitter Blue room interview. The "Kairos" star confessed that her heart flutters while doing the intense scene with Lee Junho.

The behind-the-scenes video immediately garnered 100,000 views a day after it was published on YouTube and received favorable comments from the public. As it continued to occupy various online sites, other fans dubbed Lee Junho's part as the "hottest bath scene in Korean historical-romance drama ."

Junho completed his character immersion as Crown Prince Yi San and excellently projected his wide range of acting in each episode

LINK: https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/122923/20211129/lee-junho-s-abs-reveal-red-sleeve-cuff-causes-internet.htm

...lull of the week thus posting this here to brighten everyone's day..!!

3 more days for episode 7.... :nervous:

Edited by czakhareina
  • Star Struck 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
10 hours ago, czakhareina said:

BTW here is another ranking system that I dont really understand but all i know is that Junho is 2nd and Seyoung is 3rd. is this already part of the system ranking that Lee JunHo Ph at twitter posted... the ranking that signify, TRS is ALLKILL?

The RACOI one I tweeted is done by a government agency in Korea.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Mouse said:

I wonder if Head Court Lady wishes to make Deok-Im a concubine not only as a distraction for San but also a tool for her to use. She seems to like Deok-Im’s intelligence and boldness so I wonder if she thinks she can control San through Deok-Im. 

This is also possible too. You know, brainwashing method? There's a push and pull already between Deok Im's mentor and Head Court Lady Jo. Let's see how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
42 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

This is also possible too. You know, brainwashing method? There's a push and pull already between Deok Im's mentor and Head Court Lady Jo. Let's see how it goes. 

I actually find head court lady Jo wanting DI to be a concubine weird. I mean she already hinted it when DI was a wee child, but her suggesting it to DI's mentor before DI's coming of age, doesn't make sense.

I can see that she might think that they can use DI as distraction but to what degree.  At that point of San's life, he literally didn't care of his harem or his court ladies, He literally doesnt visit his crown princesss and she goes bonkers with small mistakes of these women assigned in his palace. What would led them to think that San would be cornered by this honeytrap in DI?

And is her internal belief of San going deepsh*t crazy like Sado so deep rooted, that she thinks just putting a pretty girl in San's bed will make him go crazy? And why initiate it now, I think there would have been plenty of times she could have done this type of honeytrap scenario? So why only now with DI?

And if she did plan for DI to be concubine of San and use her to manipulate San. Why hasn't she had taken DI to her wings to groom her for this plan. and how does she use DI, when Di doesn't have loyalty and attachment to her? How sure can she be that DI will follow her instructions to cause harm to San?

Its like a a chess game at this point, and She may be 5 steps ahead and she has hidden stratagems we have yet to see...

here is a nice fan edit of our OTP:

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
1 hour ago, czakhareina said:

I actually find head court lady Jo wanting DI to be a concubine weird. I mean she already hinted it when DI was a wee child, but her suggesting it to DI's mentor before DI's coming of age, doesn't make sense.

11 hours ago, Mouse said:

I wonder if Head Court Lady wishes to make Deok-Im a concubine not only as a distraction for San but also a tool for her to use. She seems to like Deok-Im’s intelligence and boldness so I wonder if she thinks she can control San through Deok-Im. 

This is  interesting & complex at the same time. For one, I can't read Court Lady Jo fully. Though she is shown as San's "enemy" since she doesn't want him on the throne, but I can see why from her perspective. She is afraid of San being like his father ( who abused and murdered many of the court ladies) , and I suppose she is thinking of what's best for the country and those serving in the palace. However, I wonder if her having her eye on Deok Im since she was  a child was because Deok Im's father served under San's father, and she realises that it was San's mother who brought Deok Im into the palace. So I think she knows that San's mother would definitely use Deok Im . And because Deok Im was  brought in by San's mother, she cannot outright have Deok Im under her wings. 

• Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

This is  interesting & complex at the same time. For one, I can't read Court Lady Jo fully. Though she is shown as San's "enemy" since she doesn't want him on the throne, but I can see why from her perspective. She is afraid of San being like his father ( who abused and murdered many of the court ladies) , and I suppose she is thinking of what's best for the country and those serving in the palace. However, I wonder if her having her eye on Deok Im since she was  a child was because Deok Im's father served under San's father, and she realises that it was San's mother who brought Deok Im into the palace. So I think she knows that San's mother would definitely use Deok Im . And because Deok Im was  brought in by San's mother, she cannot outright have Deok Im under her wings. 

That is possible...

I do wish they clear it out by next episode, why she wants DI as San's Concubine.

And we will probably experience San's First heart break as DI rejects him TT_TT

Junho Shared a picture in Bubble during his downtime during filming:

And he us trying to get a picture of a cat..

FFgTI3rVcAMinUi?format=jpg&name=large

Junho will be one of the MC for MBC Gayo Daejejun on December 31...

Wonder if Red Sleeve will be suspended for airing during that time...?

• Heart Eyes 3

"The Red Sleeve" Jumps at 9%

Spoiler

The ratings for "The Red Sleeve" continues to go up.

According to Nielsen Korea, a ratings research company, MBC's Friday-Saturday drama "The Red Sleeve" which aired on the 27th, recorded a rating of 9.4% (Ep.6).

The drama has been breaking its own highest record since the first episode, and now it surpassed its previous highest rating of 8.8% (Ep.5).

SBS' "Now, We Are Breaking Up" had a slight increase, recording 7.6% (Ep.6) from 7% (Ep.5).

tvN's "Happiness - Drama" had a slight drop from 3.539% (Ep.7) to 3.291% (Ep.8).

For the weekend dramas, tvN's Saturday-Sunday drama "Jirisan" dropped from the 8% range, recording 7.562% (Ep.11) from 8.261% (Ep.10).

OCN's "Chimera" slightly dropped from 1.571% (Ep.8) to 1.101% (Ep.9).

JTBC's "Inspector Koo" is at 2.185% (Ep.8) from 1.8% (Ep.7).

KBS2's "Young Lady and Gentleman" decreased from 30.3% (Ep.18) to 28.5% (Ep.19).

LINK: https://www.hancinema.net/ratings-the-red-sleeve-jumps-at-9percent-156157.html

Yang Byeong-yeol to Star as Lee Se-young's Brother in "The Red Sleeve

photo1399059.jpg

Spoiler

Actor Yang Byeong-yeol is starring in the MBC drama "The Red Sleeve".

He takes on the role of Deok-im's (Lee Se-young) brother Seong-sik. After he parted with Deok-im when they were young, he stays missing for a while and reunites with his sister.

Yang Byeong-yeol said, "I'm excited to be in such a nice drama. It's an honor to work with great senior actors and I plan on doing my best. I will work hard to impress the viewers".

"The Red Sleeve" revolves around the love story between King Jeongjo and the royal concubine Seong Ui-bin, a royal historical figure and the biological mother of Prince Mun-hyo, who was a court lady before she became queen.

LINK: https://www.hancinema.net/yang-byeong-yeol-to-star-as-lee-se-young-s-brother-in-the-red-sleeve-156203.html

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 3

I think not everyone realized the postponement yet, but the author of thetalkingcupboard is aware of the possibility lol

Yi San's schedule

Other versions of the translations:

Spoiler

Article by Vogue Korea

Also another insight about the gates the king uses:

Spoiler

Edited by suhodorable
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

@suhodorable

I also saw her post, and but I think i first though of that possibility after seeing asiawiki's release date sched with January 7 being its last day. Though i could have just been typo on their part. 

They really look adorable in the BTS. I mean i know its promo tactics to get more people to buy in but man there cuteness overload is just hitting it at the perfrct spot for me. I do hope we get nore and more of their BTS. Especially ones with the Lee Deokhwa.

That post on different gates and its meaning... old fogeys are just so shady and makes me :mad:

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@abs-oluteM 

Yes. yes. Yes. True that. No awkwardness at all on set.

Seyoung seems to be such a ball of energy and initiator of doing whatever that Junho just can be his bratty self. I love it. 

Also i do think it helps that PD Jung seems like such a cool and fun individual. I mean Junho just teased her about her laughter. 

There is such a great energy on set for sure. 

@suhodorable

That schedule is crack.

Can we have a bath sched everyday?

Also, I wonder if MBC will also do those brain graphs/division thing... 

• Haha 3

Oh so happy about the news of how the drama is getting more positive buzz...

Congrats to the cast and crew..

hoping they have safe and healthy filming process til the end..

‘The Red Sleeve’: Not a Typical Cinderella Drama

by Myla Torres-Eder | November 29, 2021

“The Red Sleeve” is the latest historical drama enchanting viewers, and for a good reason. The “sageuk” starring 2PM’s Junho and Lee Se-young takes us back to a time when K-dramas were as simple and beautiful as the story of a crown prince falling for a feisty court lady. Here’s what you need to know about this drama.

Spoiler

The Crown Prince and the Court Lady
Like any good ol’ fashioned drama, “The Red Sleeve” starts off with the young crown prince Yi San, grandson of King Yeongjo. At a young age, he is passionate about his role in the palace. His father, the former crown prince, has been branded as a criminal so Yi San is afraid of disappointing his grandfather.

Meanwhile, Seong Deok-im is an orphan and a young court maid in training. She reads books to her fellow trainees to earn extra cash. She wants to save enough money for her brother who has been separated from her. The chief court lady sees a potential in the young and wise Deok-im. She tells her about the possibility of dying inside the palace, a privilege only given to royals, by becoming a royal consort. This sets the plot of the drama as Yi San and Deok-im meet again as adults.

‘The Red Sleeve’: Drama Based on Real Historical Characters
“The Red Sleeve” is based on probably one of the most romantic stories in Korean history. Yi San, who later on becomes King Jeongjo, is the 22nd ruler of the Joseon dynasty. Seong Deok-im is the future Royal Noble Consort Ui, the beloved concubine of King Jeongjo, and is said to be the only woman he loved.

The drama also gives focus to the life of court ladies who serve the royals. The title of the drama itself refers to the color of the cuffs of robes worn by the court ladies. Red is the king’s color and the court ladies are also referred to as the king’s women. 

Not a Typical Cinderella Story
While some might dismiss “The Red Sleeve” as a typical Cinderella story, what makes this drama interesting is the depth of the characters. Yi San is a crown prince with a lot of baggage and expectations on his shoulders. Seong Deok-im is also a woman with a painful past. While their social status may seem to be at polar opposites, both are ambitious individuals who want to prove their worth.

For those looking for a new historical drama to watch, “The Red Sleeve” is on Viu Philippines.

LINK: https://www.hallyudorama.com/the-red-sleeve-not-a-typical-cinderella-drama/

I like this article, it talks about the reversal of the usual cliche scenes we see in Kdramas. and I do agree, TRS did a number of fun scene that just had me laughing. from romantic to comedic.

and bratty Junho is alive...! he is enjoying himself... hahaha

Edited by czakhareina
  • Heart Eyes 2

A little acknowledging this, but his right handed chopstick/eating use made it to the scene...

it is just 12 seconds but I feel happy this scene made it. 

I still remember he needed to use Moktak to control his frustration...

Spoiler

Here are some nice gifs.

...young-adult San, running at DI

Spoiler

spacer.png

and then running away, cause he just made a foot of himself

img.gif

Face of a woman trying to catch her man  cheating:

Spoiler

img.gif

Also i cant never get enough of bookworm/nerd San, and his excitement about new books available at the bookstore

Spoiler

img.gifimg.gif

hahaha I can relate.

Source: https://daon-off.tistory.com/295

Edited by czakhareina
  • Heart Eyes 2

Articles Translation by albanglian12 | Twitter

• Lee Junho, Let's Go to My Palace | Vogue KR
Spoiler

• #TheRedSleeve EP; “Thank you, #LeeJunho, for your choice to be daring to undertake the adventurous feat.” “A reward trip if the viewership rating exceeds 15%.” | OSEN
Spoiler

about this interview above, but wasn't there Kim Kyungnam? But I think @suhodorable from twitter mention about this, but now the production saying they waited for Junho? or was I just imagining this bit?

oh right about the 15% ratings, other than the dragon robe robe dance they were also wishing for an overseas vacation (if covid is controlled).I do hope they get the bonus vacay...!!!

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Also just Rewatched the preview for ep7

San looks so excited but DI looks burdened/wary/worried...?

I feel like DI here is just done meeting with Head Court Lady Jo, that scene in the preview where she suggests/brings up to DI about becoming San's concubine.. and probably suggesting doing her bidding at other things regarding San too...

another FMV

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

2PM’s Lee Junho And Lee Se Young Brighten The Atmosphere With Their Constant Joking On Set Of “The Red Sleeve”dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 2, 2021 | by L. Kim

2PM’s Lee Junho and Lee Se Young dazzle with their brilliant chemistry on the set of MBC’s “The Red Sleeve”!

Spoiler

Based on a novel, “The Red Sleeve” is a historical drama about the imperial court romance between a court lady named Seong Deok Im (Lee Se Young) and crown prince Yi San (Lee Junho), who put the nation first before love.

The drama recently released a making-of video that starts with Lee Junho explaining the scene. He says, “Today is the day Yi San is taking a bath, so there are roses [in the water].” While waiting for filming to start, Lee Junho and Lee Se Young pass time by playing fun games.

In the next clip, two lead actors practice for the scene where Yi San thinks that Seong Deok Im might become the king’s concubine because her hair is pulled up using an ornament called tteoguji that is usually worn on special occasions. Lee Se Young wears a sly expression on her face, and she seems both proud and flattered by Lee Junho’s attention. She jokingly smacks his chest and says, “I know [how you feel about me].” He pretends to be in distress as he cries out in disbelief, “[How dare he take] my court lady…!”

Kang Hoon steps up and says his line about how the court ladies are preparing for a ceremony. Lee Junho jokes, “Why are you telling me this now?” and Kang Hoon quips, “I just found out, too…”

Lee Se Young sits down on the railing and playfully commands, “If you have something to tell me, say it.” Lee Junho, who is grabbing onto her wrist, teasingly yanks her back and forth. When she sways because of her heavy hairdo, he worriedly asks, “It’s really heavy, isn’t it?” Lee Se Young calmly replies, “No, it’s fine.”

the-red-sleeve-1.jpg

Lee Junho and Lee Seyoung’s chemistry continues into the night when they film the scene where Yi San angrily approaches Seong Deok Im. The two thoroughly discuss their positions with the director, but they can’t help but laugh when they make eye contact. When Lee Junho shouts his lines, the director suggests he lower his voice, and he starts whispering angrily. Lee Se Young plays along, and they warmly burst into laughter once more.

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1501665wpp/watch-2pms-lee-junho-and-lee-se-young-brighten-the-atmosphere-with-their-constant-joking-on-set-of-the-red-sleeve

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I knew @czakhareina will ask for it

previous casting article:

I'm guessing he rejected it right away as he wasn't ready for that burden yet.

Upon checking the original text, they said he was the first choice of the production team. So is it possible that they sent it first to Kim Kyung Nam because during that time it was offered to KKN, Junho is still in the public service?

also NPIO is related with JYP if I'm not mistaken, so they "somehow" prioritized their original talents first, which also includes Kang Hoon and others if you noticed.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@suhodorable

Oh NPIO produced this?

I did wonder before if Junho's acting career will be under them, but I guess never. Junho is primarily a 2pm member so he would still be under JYPE and under Div1.

@Alice Wonderland

Yes. It definitely feels like destiny. This Yi San was a role was for Junho.

And i love KKN too, and am looking forward foe his bew drama with AEJ, but that gave me Just Between Lovers vibe, which is a good thing. And its under jtbc too...

New stills

And oh my goodness, the our crown prince is just go all out, doing the things... heart fluttering things... 

Me right now!!!

Cause it is friday...!!!

Cau

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2