My Roommate is a Gumiho 간 떨어지는 동거 [2021]

Ok so amongst the on-going dramas I've to catch up, I chose to watch Gumiho because it'll be easier and won't have the "damn I wish I can watch the next episode now" feeling like the others. And I think I made the right choice. Here's the initial impression, girls @SilverMoonTea @abs-oluteM:

Watchable. Continuable. I'd say I could deal with this 100 times better than Born Again. Imma just NOT sure though, you @SilverMoonTea, will be able to watch this until the very end. LOL. However, I hope since you are the thread starter, you'll be a responsible watcher till the very end :laugh: *Applying some peer pressure*

Jang Ki Yong is super charming as Gumiho, Shin Woo Yeo so far. I hope he let his hair down the whole time. :taebtsbeg: I even like foxy Woo Yeo (CG graphic of him as nine-tailed fox). That was gigantic cute, white fluffy nine-tailed fox I'd love to keep as pet!

E2Xcw3WUcAEArZq?format=jpg&name=largeE2Xcw3WVcAAusUa?format=jpg&name=large

The drama started off with him in Joseon period, then it moved to a more modern times. The scene where he was wearing glasses was around the time during Japanese invasion - the style resembles Yoo Ah In's in Chicago Typewriter.

E2Vg8sFXIAcYrJh?format=jpg&name=medium

By present time, Woo Yeo got bored of having to meet women (he kisses so many of them!) to collect their energy. Although it looks like an accident that he lost his foxy bead and swallowed by Lee Dam (Hyeri), I chanced upon someone who has read the comic shared that he was hungry at the time and he purposely let loose his bead to collect energy and then pretended it was swallowed by Dam.

Having the bead in her, Dam has to avoid all men born in the year of Tiger. From their touch, Dam will feel extreme pain and only by Woo Yeo's touch that she'll stop feeling the pain - this is something to do with tiger being the natural enemy of foxes and they have too much Yang energy (the Ying Yang qi thing). Coz of this Woo Yeo suggested co-habitation... perhaps it's his sneaky way of collecting energy faster from Dam... *shrugs*

Kang Han Na plays a former female fox. Her scenes with Woo Yeo I enjoyed the most because she was obnoxiously trying to show off to Woo Yeo that she, being younger than Woo Yeo, has turned into a human before him. Apparently she is not picky like Woo Yeo so she manages to collect enough energy to turn her foxy bead blue. Their conversation was hilarious because the whole time she tries to stir the pot with Woo Yeo but he just acts indifferent and didn't react. Woo Yeo just shoots intelligent disses at her and she's too dumb to understand, lol lol! It was a cute exchange. I like her character set-up so far (coz it's different from her previous roles) and she's gonna be the love interest for Dam's guy friend (the Start-Up guy) based on the poster. 

Anyway, this seems like a light, entertaining watch. And oh, I don't think the rating can be a reliable indication to what I have seen from episode 1.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
2 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@mademoiselleThe fox CG looks quite amazing. And Kiyong with glasses have some Harry Potter's Gryffindor feelings. I definitely will check this out later. Actually the chemie between KY and Hyeri seems pretty good, from their photoshoot & Amazing Saturday. The photoshoot also likeable by netizens a lot. 

Too bad I don't think he'll turn into a fox again any time soon...lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks @mademoiselle for the recap! This has been on my "maybe" list because I'm not a huge fan of the female lead, but I do enjoy watching Jang Kiyong. @jen also told me she enjoyed this drama too, so I'm going to check it out later this week. @SilverMoonTea probably hasn't watched it yet otherwise she would have tried selling it to me already. Hahaha! This week, I think all I've done is check out new dramas to pick up. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My Roommate is a Gumiho

Filming Location 

Gwanghalluwon Garden [광한루원]

Gwanghalluwon Garden [광한루원] is an ancient garden complex built in 1419 under King Sejong’s reign. The garden is especially know as the place where the two faithful lovers Yi Mong-ryong and Chunhyang of the South Korean folk tale Chunhyangjeon [춘향전; 春香傳], literally translated as ‘The Tale of Chunhyang’, first met. The tale is the best known South Korean love story and the two lovers are often referred to as the South Korean Romeo and Juliet. The 2005 K-Drama Sassy Girl Chun-hyang is one of the several versions into which this tale was adapted.

How to get there

Spoiler

Address
447, Yocheon-ro, Namwon-si, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea
전북 남원시 요천로 1447
(천거동 78)
Namwon Station [남원역]
➜ About 15 minutes by bus from here
➜ Take bus no.3-321 from bus stop Chilseung [칠승] for 1 stop to bus stop Gongseolsijang(Wangjeong-dong) [‘공설시장(왕정동)’] and walk from here.

Other dramas/films

Spoiler

Mr. Queen (2020-21);

Record of Youth (2020);

Selection: The War Between Women (2019-20);

Joseon Matchmaking Agency (2019);

The Crowned Clown (2019);

Grand Prince (2018);

The King in Love (2017);

Moonlight Drawn By Clouds (2016);

Moon Lovers (2016);

The King’s Face (2014-15);

Jang Ok-Jung (2013);

The Fugitive of Joseon (2013);

Rooftop Prince (2012);

Sent From Heaven (2012);

The Princess’ Man (2011);

Chuno (2010);

Hometown of Legends (2008);

Conspiracy in the Court (2007);

Sassy Girl Chun-hyang (2005);

Damo (2003)

source

• Like 4

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

17 hours ago, Tofu said:

Thanks @mademoiselle for the recap! This has been on my "maybe" list because I'm not a huge fan of the female lead, but I do enjoy watching Jang Kiyong. @jen also told me she enjoyed this drama too, so I'm going to check it out later this week. @SilverMoonTea probably hasn't watched it yet otherwise she would have tried selling it to me already. Hahaha! This week, I think all I've done is check out new dramas to pick up. 

Hahahaha I'm surprised! What (who) is the draw to you for this drama??? Can't possibly be the plot! I'll report back later after I watch episode 2.

• Haha 4

OST 1

Ok, happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed episode 2. Hyeri's character reminds me of Deok Sun which is a reincarnation of Hyeri herself, lol. Jang Ki Yong continues to be super charming, so much so that I think my love for him will rekindle if he continues. The fox is starting to feel guilty for keeping Dam with him for selfish reason (her energy) that at the end of episode 2 he had wanted to take the bead back. BUT, I don't quite understand what happen there that he didn't or is it because he couldn't...?

There are some funny scenes to watch out for so it's quite entertaining. Dam is also bonding with Woo Yeo after he realised she's interested in history, though to be honest, she should have noticed the antique vases spread out all over the house before that basement's scene. Nonetheless, it made him warm up to her and he's smiling more. KKK, looking forward to the budding loveline. Next episode it seems he'll pretend to be her boyfriend so that she can get rid of sunbae guy potentially born in the year of Tiger. Dam going out of her way avoiding him was a scene to watch out for too, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

My Roommate is a Gumiho

Filming Locations

Jeonju is famous for its well preserved Hanok village. Almost three hours away from Seoul, it is one of the travel goals to visit because of the breathtaking Hanok

Jeonju Hanok Village gets 20 million visitors over 2 years - News - The  Jakarta Post

Hyanggyo-gil Jeonju

Lee Dam  drags a drunk Do Jae-jin  on her back down this street in episode 1 of My Roommate Is A Gumiho/Frightening Cohabitation (간 떨어지는 동거) (tvN, 2021), when they both fall as she collapses under his weight. Jae-jin then picks himself up and takes off running down the street, with Lee Dam chasing after him.

Hyanggyo-gil [향교길] is a tourist street located within Jeonju Hanok Village [전주 한옥마을], in Jeonju’s neighborhood Gyo-dong [교동] –part of its administrative neighborhood Pungnam [Pungnam-dong/풍남동]— in the Wansan District [Wansan-gu/완산구]. Specifically, Tae-oh and Song-yi walk by Hyanggyo-gil Ceramics [향교길도자기] in MFFL. Sosohan Gwansim Cafe [소소한관심] is also located on this street.

Address of Hyanggyo-gil Ceramics [향교길도자기]
105 Hyanggyo-gil, Gyo-dong, Wansan-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea
전라북도 전주시 완산구 향교길 105
(교동 39-3)

Getting here
From Seoul By Public Transport
➜ Take a bus from Central City Terminal in Seoul [센트럴시티터미널] to Jeonju Express Bus Terminal [전주고속버스터미널].
(a 2h 40min ride)

➜ Locate the Express Bus Terminal/Jeonju Buddhist Center bus stop [고속버스터미널.불교회관 정류장 — no. 30-925] near the terminal,
➜ take bus 5-1 for 7 stops (~14 mins) and alight at the Nambu Market bus stop [남부시장 정류장].
➜ From there, cross the road and enter Hyanggo-gil — it’s about an 11 min walk towards this specific part of the street.

Eunhaeng-ro — Jeonju 

No. 75-2 – Lee Dam  discovers a drunk Do Jae-jin  sprawls himself on a red Porsche located just outside Insaeng Photo Studio [인생사진관] on this street in episode 1 of My Roommate Is A Gumiho/Frightening Cohabitation (간 떨어지는 동거) (tvN, 2021). Much to her horror, she spots the (likely) owner of the car nearby, who turns out to be Shin Woo-yeo (Jang Ki-yong).

Address of Insaeng Photo Studio 
75-2 Eunhaeng-ro, Wansan-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea
전라북도 전주시 완산구 은행로 75-2
(교동 39-3)

Getting here
➜ Take a bus from Central City Terminal in Seoul [센트럴시티터미널], which is a 2h 40min ride to Jeonju Express Bus Terminal [전주고속버스터미널].
➜ Locate the Express Bus Terminal/Jeonju Buddhist Center bus stop [고속버스터미널.불교회관 정류장 — no. 30-918] across the road from the terminal
➜ Take bus 1000 for 9 stops (~14 mins)
➜ Alight at the Jeonjucheon/Seohak Arts Village bus stop [전주천.서학예술마을 정류장 — no. 36-306]
➜ From there, it’s about a 9 minute walk to this street.

➜ Alternatively, if you’re coming from Jeondong Cathedral or the Hanok Village, it’s only a 7 minute walk to/from there.

Source

• Like 4

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Having live for 900 years, I can't imagine how indifferent he must be to women and love. He does look lonely to go through all the timeline from Joseon, Republican to modern time. 

So he must be seeing something in Lee Dam that he's interested in her. It's strange for me his marble out just like that. When he explaining that he's gumiho and she just ate his marble. She must be really think this guy really lost his marble (crazy) lols. 

Their relationship at first was quite graceful but quickly their pettiness escalated haha with all those contracts. He at first paying her tuition fees and didn't even scold her when she put herself in danger and he need to save her. But all those no chicken eating and no smoking rules start to drained them lols. 

So far I like all the side characters too. They're all interesting on their own including Dam's brother, the ex-gumiho (she cracked me the most with her boisterous personality), her broken hearted guy friend, and the cuties Tiger born sunbae! (NEW Crush Alert). 

The settings all so pretty, especially the yellow flower background. 

20210529-145033.jpg

20210529-145050.jpg

@mademoiselleis right with her assesment. So summon @Tofuhere 🤣 @jenYou're watching this too? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Seun (kind) Woo (friend) 

I was ROFL at how he just blowed up his parents wish upon his name. Obviously a playboy who lost interest fast, and this time he got his first rejection. It must be not sit well for him. 

20210529-152227.jpg

20210529-152730.jpg

20210529-152807.jpg

And his dimples so deep :Uwu: @mademoiselle

Spoiler

20210529-152707.jpg

20210529-152826.jpg

Okay, I might have slight SLS. Can't wait for next episode so this 2 hot men will showdown for Dam's affection. 

• Haha 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

She must be really think this guy really lost his marbe (crazy) lols. 

😂😂 Nice one.

I only know Jang Ki-Yong from My Mister, so his character here is completely different from how I know him. He was able to make his character in My Mister feel dangerous and unstable (vs the other "goons" or even villains in some other shows I've seen) so I feel like he'd be able to pull it off when his character ever loses his calm and cool and show his inner gumiho... Though their version of the gumiho so far is really cute, fluffy and overly huggable 😂

It's nice too that the two gumiho (s?) do have some "foxy" facial features. 

For beings/ characters that live longer than normal human life, it's always an interesting aspect how they live their life and how they perceive time and history. So it's really fun that ML's work is related to that, he even has a collection of historic items. 👌

I like it so far. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I'm done with the two episodes. So far it's fun. Lols. Today's love is quite peculiar. Love human to human is ordinary. So they need the special one, human to fish, monkey and fox. :laugh:

I wonder why he didnt take out the marble? Did he let it to absorb all her energy? He collects all human's energy to his marble to become a human, right?

JKY tried so hard to be funny, but his expression is too serious. I like the lively LD. It was fun seeing her in confusion and shocked cuz shebhas to live with a gumiho. Her life changes completely. I hope she doesn't fall for him too fast. I just like to see SWY to fall for her first.

4 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Okay, I might have slight SLS. Can't wait for next episode so this 2 hot men will showdown for Dam's affection

Lols, same case here. Back then I have SLS for JKY in GBC and this time, well not sure, but the second lead looks like a great opponent to SWY. I mean he attracted to LD because he never got rejected, she becomes the first one. And that makes him curious. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1