Racket Boys 라켓소년단 [2021]

1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

Jung Hae In? No, Hae In is one of the few Oppa who has completed his military service before pursuing acting/became famous.

Hmmm then all the more he should come. Sorry I mix up with your other oppa love , Yang Se Jong even though they look nothing alike . :hug:

• Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Episode 15

AAAHHHHHHH... the cliffhanger!!! Can't believe I've to wait til next week. I'm just going to assume my Racket Boys won because Coach Yoon did a fantastic job strategising their schedule against the opponents' weakness! That's what a professional coach does! Coach Yoon has grown so much himself. *sniff* Hae Kang has an awesome mum and dad as coaches.

So this is to say Hae Kang's eye is OK right? He just hasn't fully recovered, that's all. Nothing too serious and nothing to worry about. It was just a red-herring from last episode to make us worry for one whole week!! :duckPHAT:

I LOL-ed loudly when Coach Yoon told the boys they are cooler than BTS! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2: This I have to ask BTS fan @stroppyse - what do you think? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I think the last two episodes focus on the results of growth of the boys (as well as the coaches). Young Tae free himself from imitating Lee Yong Dae and play to the best of his own style. Yoon Dam got over whatever he's feeling (not sure I understand what is it he's feeling but he seems to crave for some pressure??) and Woo Chan gets his chance to play on the court too.

I honestly was annoyed at Oh Jae Seok being a jerk to the boys. It's a bit off for his character all of a sudden. I thought they were friends! Even if they are opponents on the court, there is no need to be this harsh. He was condescending and was threatening Young Tae before the match. That's so snobbish.

I can't say I understand why must White wolf coach had to ditch the boys now but I'm glad he stopped by to show his support and give Yoon Dam a good push. He also hit 2 birds with 1 stone with motivating Tae Seon. I think in a way he chose to leave and support Tae Seon because Tae Seon is a son to him. They had the father-son bond there that I don't think Coach Bae has with the Racket Boys. Obviously I'd love to see Tae Seon play too but I also understand why the story didn't really need to. Plus I don't think I'm too convinced he could get back into badminton so quickly (unless he's never given up and had been practising all this while).

Behind the Scenes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

village chief got family -zoned at 1st . But when confronting those rude city folks that almost hit the car , I think he may have a chance now ! :Uwu: I laughed so hard when his hands brushed her face 

:laugh: I laughed so hard too... and him muttering their different surnames when family-zoned.

- Love that we have the girls (HS, SY) separately showing their concerns to the boys (BYD, YHK) before their finals. 

- I think I understand why Bang is feeling unmotivated. Everyone's telling him it's okay if he doesn't win, it's great enough to enter the finals. I guess those made it seems like it's the end of the journey already. So I was glad that Coach Bae came by and encouraged him to win.

- Really love how Yong Dae is motivated by his idol (look at his cheeky confidence below) and I was cheering like the audience as well when he won his match. 

SruIMkj.gif

- The way the boys and girls were swooning when they saw Kang Tae Soon there and fighting to get a selfie with him was just delightful to watch. It surely encouraged KTS that he is not forgotten and there are people who love him still. And I was so happy that he showed those arrogant players what he's worth!

- It's a nice twist that the name Choi Mi Ja turned out to be the name of Halmoni's mother. Those con-men! How dare they brought people and machine trying to destroy the village? The  villagers should next be taught how to live-stream instead of just recording evidence, hahahaa.

- Quite surprised at the strategy that Coach Yoon came up with, but why not? Why hold up to play the whole matches if you can win early with 3 sets? Love that confidence! And love that this time, when YHK is not confident of himself, the boys are the one who reminded him who he is. The one and only Yoon Hae Kang. Haha... and I am super happy that Woo Chan gets to play in NJSF finals. The advice that Coach Yoon gave him was just precious ~ "keep practicing, need be ready to seize the chance". I really am anticipating so much about this pairing of YHK and NWC.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 15

- Is it weird if I say I felt this episode was a bit filler-y heading towards the final match? :thinking: I feel like everyone liked it but me. It was fine when the episode focused on the boys getting over individual issues or when they focused on how the villagers were fighting to keep their village...but the long discussion between the coaches felt kind of unnecessary to me...just really drawn out and went in circles talking about HK being the in final match. And I'm not sure if I'm as invested in Kang Tae Son's storyline either, which took up a portion of this episode, though it was nice to see Coach Bae be really close to a player from his past and treat that player like a son :heart:

- I laughed at how hard village chief was trying to get some attention from Song Hee...but then got brother-zoned, which is a zillion times worse than friend-zoned :laugh:

- YT getting the confidence to be himself rather than living in the shadow of his idol was a good character development plot line. Also funny that he got it from his actual idol :heiboi:

- Bang's fainting storyline sort of felt a little out of nowhere, though I get that he always felt pressure from his family to do well and that got to him. I think it was bad for him because his family is so very nice (opposite of say NWC's dad who was initially unsupportive) - he always felt too supported as the well loved oldest son, so didn't want to let down anyone. He was probably also lacking the support he needed from Coach Bae who had always trusted. I'm glad the coach came back to instil that confidence in him once again :heart:

- NWC's arc and surprise scheduling because his strength is the opponent's weakness was a great way to bring him back into the main storyline. I liked that he's always been portrayed as an average-good player...but I think this shows that in a team, there's always some strength you can contribute even if you think you have nothing. :CharmanderYay:

- I am highly confused about HK and NWC's injuries though - I thought they were both injured to the point where they weren't suppose to play? If anyone has something  that I missed, let me know? :thinking:

- Ugh that guy who wants to build the golf course is so stupid. How did he think he would convince people by first being rude and then threatening people? :KittyBan: Good thing Grandma's ghost was protecting the place :hug:

- It was cute - and a confidence booster for Kang Tae Son - that all the kids got to meet their local idol! :heart:

- Haha, wow, HK is always so sweet with SY :BulbaOWO: I like that he also doesn't exclude from talking about the village, his family and friends being important, but it sounded so nice and earnest when he said that he only had one priority for winning which is SY :hearties:

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Can’t wait to watch the next match, especially because of the unexpected pairing, but have to wait for one week for the next episode, which is also the finale. I really don’t want to say goodbye yet to the Racket Boys... 

Next week's ep looks good, but like you, I'm not ready to say bye either! :letalQQ:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

So this is to say Hae Kang's eye is OK right? He just hasn't fully recovered, that's all. Nothing too serious and nothing to worry about. It was just a red-herring from last episode to make us worry for one whole week!! 

Yeah I'm quite confused about this. Hasn't been explained...wonder if we will have a flashback reveal in the last episode about what happened :thinking:

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yoon Dam got over whatever he's feeling (not sure I understand what is it he's feeling but he seems to crave for some pressure??)

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think I understand why Bang is feeling unmotivated. Everyone's telling him it's okay if he doesn't win, it's great enough to enter the finals. I guess those made it seems like it's the end of the journey already. So I was glad that Coach Bae came by and encouraged him to win.

I read Bang's story a bit differently - It's not that he felt unmotivated because from all the previous episodes, he is probably one of the most motivated - he was the only one of the boys not to skip intense training etc. But also from the past episodes, you remember that all the boys tell HK that Bang's family are SUPER supportive to the point they'll only eat his favourite food when he comes home and his dad was upset when he thought the coach cared more for HK. But there's a special pressure that comes with letting down a family who's really invested in you...a pressure that is made worse when everyone tells you "it's ok, you've already made it this far." :BulbaConfused:

When Bang is talking to the Coach, it seems like he mentions these words to comfort himself the way others have said to him in case he loses (ie. he fears failure and is setting himself for failure by thinking it's ok if I fail since it's likely)...but Coach Bae says, "No, you must win. You should feel the pressure. You need to win because you are the best player." The coach instils that winning mindset and confidence in his abilities that motivates him. Also he lets him know that it's normal to feel pressure. Every great player feels those nerves before a match - so it doesn't mean he's going to fail because of that. :MewHi:

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I can't say I understand why must White wolf coach had to ditch the boys now but I'm glad he stopped by to show his support and give Yoon Dam a good push. He also hit 2 birds with 1 stone with motivating Tae Seon. I think in a way he chose to leave and support Tae Seon because Tae Seon is a son to him. They had the father-son bond there that I don't think Coach Bae has with the Racket Boys. 

I don't get the point of Coach Bae leaving before their big NJSF matches either, but I agree KTS is like a son to him so maybe the timing was right to going back to support him :idk:

• Insightful 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I LOL-ed loudly when Coach Yoon told the boys they are cooler than BTS! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2: This I have to ask BTS fan @stroppyse - what do you think? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I burst out laughing at that part. I think the Racket Boy Scouts are sweet, but I'll take the Bulletproof Boy Scouts every time! :laugh: I'm with the guys as well that Coach Yoon shouldn't go around saying such things, even though he means it sincerely.

Loved episode 15, and can't wait for episode 16. I assume that this is a happy drama, so no real life lessons or anything like that in the finale, please!

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I think the last two episodes focus on the results of growth of the boys (as well as the coaches). Young Tae free himself from imitating Lee Yong Dae and play to the best of his own style. Yoon Dam got over whatever he's feeling (not sure I understand what is it he's feeling but he seems to crave for some pressure??) and Woo Chan gets his chance to play on the court too.

I agree. The boys (and girls) are all maturing, both on the court and off the court, learning more about themselves and what they want and are willing to do to get it. I do find it rather fantastic that they are each other's motivations as much as because they want it for themselves. I think some of the set ups were a bit obvious, e.g. Woo Chan playing doubles wasn't really much of a surprise.

I'm still not vested in Tae Son's journey, but I think he's basically an interrupted journey. Things happened to him to lose his way, and it took awhile for him to figure himself out as well. It just feels a bit too sudden to have all this focus on him now, even though TS had been mentioned almost from the first episode. I suppose it also fleshes out more of Coach Bae, so that's okay. It still felt rough for Coach Bae to not go with the guys to the national championships, but I guess Coach Bae got word that TS was back in town. It was slightly manipulative of the story to put TS with the guys so that TS could get some confidence from the guys, but then again, I guess TS is the cautionary version of the Racket Boys.

Then again, I guess the guys themselves are doing fine for the most part.

Btw, I'm expecting HK to confess to SY even before he plays on court, perhaps realizing that it's silly to wait to let the girl he likes know that he likes her.

Looking forward to ep 16, even though I'll miss the kids when they are no longer on our screens. This has caused me to watch more badminton at the Olympics though, so probably watch even more once this drama is done. :ValentineBulba:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I do have to point out some parts of the story-telling feels abrupt and not as smooth compared to Prison Playbook. I don't know whether it's the script, execution or the editing.

I have to agree. I'm going to guess it's the editing perhaps.

Anyway, people who're not used to this style of story-telling (including HosPlay) will definitely not able to enjoy the drama as much. I know some people who do not like watching HosPlay saying it's weird, lol...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

11 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

... is it because it would enrage the armies? xD

Totally! ARMY up in arms!

I agree with you that the story doesn't feel particularly smoothly told. I think it may be an issue of the directing and editing, though I blame some of it on the writing. It's enhanced by the fact that the drama seems to be telling 2 different stories with 2 different points, namely a coming of age tale with our Racket Boys and Girls, and a formation and preservation of community tale with the Villagers. Then they squeezed in Tae Son's story right at the end as well. The three stories seem disjointed rather than part of an organic whole.

Oh well, I'm still enjoying this drama a lot!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@abs-oluteM My least fave time for kdrama viewing is when there's sports events on and Chuseok LOL. They always axe the kdramas over sports! I always thought they should just have a dedicated sports channel.

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, just a little longer until the next episode!

:cry: Not anymoreeee. Now we've to wait for another week!

• Sad 4
6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM My least fave time for kdrama viewing is when there's sports events on and Chuseok LOL. They always axe the kdramas over sports! I always thought they should just have a dedicated sports channel.

:cry: Not anymoreeee. Now we've to wait for another week!

As much as I like watching the Olympics, even I'm thinking it's a shame that they pushed the final episode another week. Sigh. I was really looking forward to this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3