Racket Boys 라켓소년단 [2021]

5 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I got double servings, you know... that weekend makjang drama knows no end. The last few minutes had wedding bells all over, then there's a ghost possession 

Aiyo...that one I tell you ...what is going on with all the cross coupling out of the blue? My mum was telling me it was so confusing. Definitely going for S3 given how high the ratings went. 

For those who are wondering which show this is...:lmao2: Writer is trying to challenge the Penthouse writer . See who can be more absurd

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

34 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahahahahaha to check the gold is real (not chocolates - Vincenzo's joke).

Hahahaha mystery solved :cool:

35 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahahaha yes. They were so touched by his message they added him and only to regret in less than (I think) 15 mins!

More like they regret it in 5 mins :laugh: Hahaha your parents too? Good to know all parents are essentially the same!

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

The only beef I have about his character is why they have to put so much make up on his face...

Really? I didn't really notice...he looked the same as the little brother in True Beauty.  I just thought he has a slightly more effeminate look is all. :thinking:

6 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I love the pinky holding!! Planning to make some gifs when I have the time this week. 

Yesss...please make gifs!!! :wow2::wow2::wow2: That pinky moment was so cute :wow:

3 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Writer is trying to challenge the Penthouse writer . See who can be more absurd

Why all do all makjang shows try so hard to out makjang each other?! :lettalKWA::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

14 minutes ago, JenL said:

Really? I didn't really notice...he looked the same as the little brother in True Beauty.  I just thought he has a slightly more effeminate look is all.

The color of face and neck are quite different... I don't notice it for the other boys :idk:

14 minutes ago, JenL said:

Why all do all makjang shows try so hard to out makjang each other?!

Because they are...makjang...? :laugh:  I can't think of any other better explanation...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

3 hours ago, JenL said:

- Haha why do Korean sports dramas always have the athletes with medals bite them?  Is it just for cuteness? LJW was also happily biting his medal in Move to Heaven just like how In Sol and Hae Kang were here for their photo. 

I guess I've seen athletes from all over the world bite their medals, so it didn't seem to be a thing for me. If you search online, you can see Olympians from a lot of different countries bite their medals. I always thought it was like being pinched to make sure it's not a dream kind of thing. Vincenzo said to check if they are real, and I don't think that was entirely a joke. Anyway, now it seems that the photographers will frequently ask the athletes to bite their medals for a photo.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Maybe it's to show that Kang Tae Son still has it in him? And that he truly is a remarkable athlete, besides having the legendary coach out there...

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I guess I've seen athletes from all over the world bite their medals, so it didn't seem to be a thing for me. If you search online, you can see Olympians from a lot of different countries bite their medals. I always thought it was like being pinched to make sure it's not a dream kind of thing. Vincenzo said to check if they are real, and I don't think that was entirely a joke. Anyway, now it seems that the photographers will frequently ask the athletes to bite their medals for a photo.

Hahaha @mademoiselle looks like Vincenzo is correct: 

https://parade.com/1235305/jerylbrunner/why-do-athletes-bite-olympic-gold-medals/#:~:text=Biting metal is a tradition&text=During the California gold rush,you could break a tooth.

@stroppyse I always thought it was a Kdrama thing because I tends to watch Korean sports dramas than Western sports dramas :laugh: I occasionally watch a sports themed Hollywood/ Disney movie here and there and I rarely watch real sports unless it's some sort of big event (eg. Olympics and Soccer World Cup)...and even then I only have it on in the background, so probably missed their medal biting moments :idk:

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

That’s what I feel like doing too! like one episode a week maybe... I’m missing them already...

Honestly, I like this drama enough that I want to re-watch it to see what I missed the first time around. Plus, watching it the 2nd time, knowing what's going to come up makes me watch it in a different light.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

BTS / Wrapping Up

😭 the last bit... Yoon Dam made me laugh and cry lol

Oh my god, the boys are so adorable and cried so much. I imagine it's always so much fun to be in a cast with all young actors, but it also hurts when it ends because you've built up such good friendships and it'll probably rare to have such an experience again :letalQQ: I miss this cast!

Haha, I really like the actress who plays Se Yoon btw. Before this I'd only seen her as a little sister in an indie movie called Our Body . She had long hair and was obsessed with boys/beauty so this was such a different character! (that movie was really pointless though :idk: ) Look forward to seeing her in future!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

It's one of those times when I'm glad I watch as many dramas as I do as it helps make the week pass so much faster. Otherwise it's tough waiting for one episode each week so late in the storyline. Worse still, it's quite the effort to line up the schedule of 4 people to watch it together. But it's been a nice weekly event just laughing, cheering on and tearing up with the good people of Haenam.

Sad to have to bid the Jeon-nam boys farewell but to think that they've come so far individually and as the "Racket Boys". I don't think it's possible to have too much of their camaraderie. Magic of some kind always happened when they came together. Writer Jung Bo-hoon does a brilliant job of replicating the same spirit of community that was such a vital part of what made Prison Playbook the classic that it has become. It isn't just about the boys but the wider family that includes the villagers and the newcomers from the city.  The wizardry begins when the Yoon family are in effect scammed into heading for the countryside to take up a coaching position in the local school. There's barely anything left of a badminton team in a school that once produced some of the nation's best and no one holds out that much hope that anything can be made of 3 boys with varying degrees of ability.

In the end 3 becomes 5 and the Jeonnam boys in the well-watered tradition of underdogs overcoming obstacles to triumph eke out their own path to victory through learning important lessons like teamwork, adaptability, and having laser-like focus. I've read complaints that this isn't enough of a badminton drama... well... the truth of the matter is that Racket Boys is as much a badminton drama as Prison Playbook was a prison drama. It's a joyful growing-up story that remind us that all are on a continuous journey of trials and growth. No one can do it on their own. That's why having friends and family is so important. For In-sol, who seemingly had everything badminton was a means to an end. He had academic creds and social status but he desperately wanted friends. Possibly also to be a part of something much bigger than himself.

On hindsight one of my favourite moments was when Se-yoon was stuck in airports and traffic, missing the girls singles game. The burden is left to Han Sol to carry the team to victory. Everyone including the mighty Coach Ra don't hold out much hope. It seemed to me too that so much of the team's strategy was built around Se-yoon to its detriment. Se-yoon is amazing of course but this was the moment of truth for Coach Ra and Han Sol to realise that the team is more than Se-yoon. 

When Coach Yoon sentimentally pays tributes to his victorious junior champs in the final episode he reminded us of how much he's progressed too. At the start, I wasn't impressed. He was too slapdash and trying to play safe but he grew a little when the boys grew. Their graciousness moved him and in all likelihood helped him grow up as well. At the very least, what you could say about him is that he had enough humility to learn from those he was meant to teach.

The best lesson of all (it was the same with Prison Playbook) I think is the reality that sometimes what seems at first to be the worst thing that befalls someone often ends up being the best thing that ever happened to them. With the benefit of hindsight certainly. I don't doubt that's the case with the Yoons -- mainly the father, son and daughter. I still remember the first episode when they entered Haennam, looked at the house and thought: OMG What have we done? . It didn't inspire a lot of confidence. But a year later, it's obvious the change was a good thing... even necessary for that family not only to find themselves but to find some belonging and make their mark. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

32 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

So much cuteness here ....

I love them both so much :wow: 

Haha I think it was also his first time filming romance scenes. But I think he has a friendly energy that puts his co-stars at ease :BulbaOWO:

Also it's Tang Joon Sang's birthday today! :heart: Happy Birthday :Party02:

• Like 1
  • Party! 2

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle the only actor I have some sort of affinity for is Yoon Hyun Min.  Though his projects since that woodcutter & fairy thing were so not my cup of tea! 

This is like celebrities basketball but this time it's badminton. I am interested to see if they are good. Only know Yoo Hyun Min and Do Joon. One of them is the cast of Racket Boys. The rest I had no idea who.

Preview

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUpRHhdFx8w/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3

Wow, so a reality show where the national badminton hero Lee Yong Dae is going to coach celebs in their matches against each other? Lee Yong Tae would be so jealous!

18 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

One of them is the cast of Racket Boys. The rest I had no idea who.

Are you referring to Lee Min Ki? I think he was the one who helped out the grandmother in the city? I don't recognize all of the celebs either.

It's nice to think that the reception of the drama has led to a sports show about badminton. Hope they all play well!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Are you referring to Lee Min Ki?

No, it is Kim Min Ki. The student president of the school that Hae Kang* recruited.

*It's good that Hae Kang had always said "It's me. I'm Yoon Hae Kang" so I haven't forgotten his character name! LOL!

@im0202 Oh yay. I plan to check out at least one episode to see how it is. Will need to remember it. If you watch before me, please come in and let us know! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 10/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, mademoiselle said:

Anyone's Oppa in there?

Lee Yong Dae was my Oppa in there lol.. I've been watching his matches when he's still active as national athlete whenever the badminton tournaments were on my local TV. I recognized Do Joon and knew he's quite athletic. I thought he's already in celebrity soccer club? 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:55 AM, im0202 said:

Nope but will still be watching since I like badminton and play it regularly. I do enjoy watching variety show based around sports... Used to enjoy Cool Kiz on the Block a lot - miss this show!

Ooh I used to watch Cool Kiz on the Block too.. If I remember correctly I followed the badminton and swimming categories, but after that I missed a lot of another sports sections. Do you also watch the badminton tournaments regularly? @SnowBlob sister, we might have a common friend to talk about badminton, other than the two of us xD

Maybe I'll check out the variety once it comes out. I wonder why they didn't invite Nichkhun of 2pm or Jae from Day6 too? I knew Nichkhun could play very well and Jae was quite a good player too when he appeared in Cool Kiz with Nichkhun in one of the episodes... 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: