Racket Boys 라켓소년단 [2021]

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Wasn't Han Sol also accepted? I saw her in preview with the others... then Coach Yoon also said there are 5 national team members, but Coach Ra corrected him there are 6, including herself.

Ahh okay...ahaha I wasn't paying attention. Oh then Bang & her can have their love line developed too ! I was so tickled he changed his IG status to a heart sign , LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Ahh okay...ahaha I wasn't paying attention. Oh then Bang & her can have their love line developed too ! I was so tickled he changed his IG status to a heart sign , LOL

I thought it was adorable. I'm actually really liking the Sol and Bang love line, especially because I did not see it coming. It's also rather adorable how slowly they're taking it. I wonder if Bang even registered Sol before he found out that she had a crush on him. I kind of thought that it was that awareness that started him thinking about her that way.

But seriously, Yong Tae and Woo Chun are the two who pull my heart strings. I've really come to like In Seol as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. He's really brought analysis and strategy to the team. Coach Yoon was providing some of it, but not to the level that In Seol with his attention to detail and focus on analytics seems to be able to.

Are we seriously at the halfway mark already?

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
18 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Those country style ahjumma pants are so cute. 

Makes me wonder why they're in the country ajumma pants in the first place. :laugh:

It occurs to me, however, that this drama is trying to make a case that SK sports is changing the way they do things. Interesting that everyone told SY that it won't be her talent alone but rather that she had to play up to the right people in order to fulfill her ambition.

And, then Coach Yoon also tried to score brownie points with Coach Fang to get a favorable look for the national team for Bang, even if Coach Yoon really is too clueless and naive to do it very well. However, the 2 suck up assistant coaches who always hung out with Coach Fang clearly thought business as usual in terms of getting expensive favors and belittling anyone they thought was "lower" than them in some way.

However, Coach Fang telling them off, then telling Coach Yoon that it was because of a skills issue that Bang had been kept off the national team indicated a new SK sports authority, one that prioritized talent and talent development over "paying their dues" and maintaining the pecking order.

Btw, I also wanted to say that I was absolutely appalled by the line judge who was sexually harassing Sol even while she was trying to play her match. Why is a line judge even talking to one of the players? And, why didn't anyone meaning the other coaches/judges saying anything to the big jerk about it?  I can't even imagine something like this happening, though I assume that it probably was a problem in SK since the writer knew about it and wrote a plot line involving it. Anyway, I'm glad that Bang punched his lights out.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
16 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

And, then Coach Yoon also tried to score brownie points with Coach Fang to get a favorable look for the national team for Bang, even if Coach Yoon really is too clueless and naive to do it very well.

I thought he did it better than the others though, because he got what Coach Fang likes instead of the trendy coffee from the cafe. Tbh, if I cannot enjoy my coffee immediately, I’d rather have those canned ones. When they were bringing cups and cups of coffee to the judges table, I was thinking “what a waste”.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

22 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I thought he did it better than the others though, because he got what Coach Fang likes instead of the trendy coffee from the cafe. Tbh, if I cannot enjoy my coffee immediately, I’d rather have those canned ones. When they were bringing cups and cups of coffee to the judges table, I was thinking “what a waste”.... 

I actually drink my coffee black, so the canned coffee is a bit too sweet for my taste. However, I agree with you that at least Coach Yoon knew what Coach Fang likes, and it wasn't just a matter of not having money to buy the expensive coffees.

However, I also agree with "what a waste". LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

The Racket Event

This drama written by the same writer who gave us Prison Playbook is both an homage to youth teams where team members become as close if not closer than family and a look at amateur athletics, examining both the positives and negatives. Promising young athletes considered good enough to represent the country are put to intense stresses, with the historical accounts of hazing that permeated SK amateur athletics for the longest time piled on top of it. However, all young athletes even if they are not necessarily striving to join the national team have their stories, both joyful and heartbreaking. Plus, the stories of the people who support their teams.

So, it's time to have an event to celebrate this extraordinary drama which is ultimately about friendship and family.

Posts after this post will accumulate points which will be awarded at the end of this event. Plus, we've added some new badges to the Member Shop that can be purchased with those points.

Happy viewing!

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 3

No..... what is happening with Hae Kang in the next episode that he cannot do sports anymore? 

Love the OST for the last scene. Young love... how envious... :love:

Interesting that in the past, all the girl athletes were with long hair, while the girls in present all cut their hair short. In my own experience, in the past, schools required the girls to only have short hair, but now, they're free to have long hair. I also like that for the past scenes, the production team uses the classic TV aspect ratio of 4:3, how fun! and easy to distinguish time line, besides the obvious characters shown of course.

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

11 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

o..... what is happening with Hae Kang in the next episode that he cannot do sports anymore? 

I came here as soon as I finished. Is he sick??? He seems to be doing very well at this training. 

--------------

Apart from the shocking preview , which could very well be just to troll the viewers, this was such a cute & sweet episode. For one Hae Kang and Se Yoon seemed to have some progress. As an adult looking in, it is so cute to see two 16 year-olds fall for each other.  Se Yoon is giving him all the signs, but HK is nervous. I think he doesn't realise fully that he likes SY. He was so worried that the other guy Park Chan will ask her out - Hae Kang is jealous and doesn't know it!

I also liked it when they showed some flashbacks to Coach Yoon & Coach Ra's younger days. I am curios what her answer would be to why she chose Coach Yoon.  I know he has a reputation of being a slacker but from the episode, you can tell he is probably very nurturing as a coach . He may not have been the top player in his hey days , but could very well produce top athletes because he may be able to bring out the best from his players.   Interestingly , I see HK as a combination of his parents personality traits. He is competitive and hot tempered like mum, but at the same time like his father he knows how to let loose and have fun. I think this is why he has crazy amount of energy , and is constantly hyper. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I also liked it when they showed some flashbacks to Coach Yoon & Coach Ra's younger days. I am curios what her answer would be to why she chose Coach Yoon.  I know he has a reputation of being a slacker but from the episode, you can tell he is probably very nurturing as a coach .

Wanna bet they're going to keep us in suspense for the longest time why she chose Coach Yoon? :laugh:

Coach Yoon is easygoing and sincere. I think people like him that way. Compare his pep talk to the kids with the other 3 coaches "If you win, you'll have more free time" with all smiles and both fists pumping in the air.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Coach Yoon is easygoing and sincere. I think people like him that way. Compare his pep talk to the kids with the other 3 coaches "If you win, you'll have more free time" with all smiles and both fists pumping in the air.

He is . He has grown on me . There was a point where I got really annoyed that he seemed too relaxed and not quite on the ball with training the kids, but over the episodes his approach seems to have worked for his team. 

There was this scene that also left an impression on me from last night's. All the other coaches figured that it was patriotism and national pride - or more like a deeply rooted dislike Japan that motivated the kids to win (Am not very sure what is the beef between the two nations, perhaps @stroppyse can enlighten.) But clearly the kids don't think that way . I think there is a lot of hope for this generation as they see beyond country or ethnicity , and are friends with the players from the other team . They are motivated because of the game and have good sportsmanship . It is heartening to see because I come from a generation that  probably think like the coaches  -  a generation that seem to have accepted a lot stereotypes and can be sub-consciously racist. ( sorry to sound so old ...but since I am not young ahahahah) 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I've just started on this one and I am really enjoying it. It's the writer of Prison Playbook afterall. I can't miss it. And I'm not disappointed at all. His fingerprints are all over this and there's plenty of humour and warm fuzzies to go around. The kids are great and wow, Kim Kang-hoon has grown up quite a bit since Camellia and Mouse even.

Everything is great so far. From the characters to the setting -- all pitch perfect. I'm up to Episode 4 and watching it with my family so it's going to be a slow watch. 

Spoiler

I'm actually very curious about the new neighbours and was wondering if that's a common practice -- for people to take a trip down to a village to take their own life in a house they've rented or bought. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

He is . He has grown on me . There was a point where I got really annoyed that he seemed too relaxed and not quite on the ball with training the kids, but over the episodes his approach seems to have worked for his team. 

There was this scene that also left an impression on me from last night's. All the other coaches figured that it was patriotism and national pride - or more like a deeply rooted dislike Japan that motivated the kids to win (Am not very sure what is the beef between the two nations, perhaps @stroppyse can enlighten.) But clearly the kids don't think that way . I think there is a lot of hope for this generation as they see beyond country or ethnicity , and are friends with the players from the other team . They are motivated because of the game and have good sportsmanship . It is heartening to see because I come from a generation that  probably think like the coaches  -  a generation that seem to have accepted a lot stereotypes and can be sub-consciously racist. ( sorry to sound so old ...but since I am not young ahahahah) 

It took me a couple of episodes to recognise the actor who plays Coach Yoon. He's actually a very good actor and it's such a huge difference to the character he plays here and in The Crowned Clown - where he played the Minister who killed the real king and made the clown the king.

@abs-oluteM The beef between the two nations is the same as the beef between China and Japan i.e. Japan's colonisation and WWII. I like that the writer is giving out the message a good sportsmanship is not to let politics get in the way. Wish he/she had done the same about the previous episode on Indonesia, lol.

Anyway, I could not stop smiling watching these young love! So so soooo cute! Bang Yoon bought a lot of souvenirs; I'm guessing they are either gifts for his siblings or the Racket Boys.

OK, I honestly do not know why Hae Kang can't play sports anymore but please don't tell me because it was due to the eye injury!!! :cry: Please let it be a hoax. Please please please. He has to play coz he's Yoon Hae Kang.

And same with you guys @ktcjdrama and @abs-oluteM I'm also curious the reason behind how Hae Kang's parents got together. I'm sure it will be something just as cute as Se Yoon and Hae Kang. Hehehe. Also, is it me or is Coach Paeng bossing Coach Yoon around a sign of his way of showing affection? Hahaha. I just cannot help but think that way, hehe.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1