A Gentleman and A Young Lady [2022]

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Not sure which Gumiho drama that you are referring to, however, at least as a university student, she/he is of age?

The recent one My Roomate is a Gumiho. 

I guess big age gap doesn’t really bother me especially when both are grown up, which depending on what country, the legal age varies too. For fantasy dramas like The Goblin and Gumiho, I don’t even care anymore. I remember Backstreet Rookie got criticism too because of the kiss by the high schooler FL to the adult ML. 

Actually, I kinda like the pairing of YG with his friend. But it seems like they have no sparks. I am curious how he met his wife and what kind of a person she is. As much as I don’t feel like seeing that actress so soon, I’d like to know their love story. 

19 hours ago, stroppyse said:

And, I think the reason the kids aren't responding to her is because she is so clearly fake.

I agree. It’s DD’s spontaneity and sincerity that will move them, I believe. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

It's the first two episodes of total 50 episodes.. We can say it's the beginning stages and I couldn't really give a quick judgement, but the big age gap between the leads made me uncomfortable. If my math is correct then the gap is about 14 years. Dan Dan was shown to be born on 1995 and her mother left not too long after she's born on that year (?). During the drinking in ep 2, it was mentioned that Young Guk are currently 41 (Korean Age). Let's say DD is now 27 (by Korean Age) so the age difference is 14 years, isn't it? 

I guess maybe because the unnecessary childhood meeting between the two when DD was still a teenager and YG a soldier that made me feel more uncomfortable. It just made their age differences become so significance rather than if they just made the two met on the mountains.. I don't know what to feel in the future when he developed a feeling for her. :idk:

The house felt so familiar to me. Anyone in here have watched angel's last mission by Shin Hye Sun and Kim Myung Soo? The house they used in that drama and this drama is the same, no? For the outer appearance at least. From the gate and to the yard it all felt the same. And the clothes brand that YG supposed to have. I think I have seen that brand in almost all KBS weekend drama that I watched lol. Is that brand a fixed sponsor for KBS drama? 

Well for the casts, I knew several senior actress that I came across while watching the weekend drama. The actress who played DD, isn't she the new ER fellow in HP season 2 @stroppyse @ktcjdrama ?  And I think I saw Lee Il Hwa as part of the casts line up, but so far she hasn't appeared yet. Don't tell me she's going to play the missing DD mother? :pandathink: Based on the poster or stills that I have seen she looked quite okay, so is her character reach her dream as a fashion designer? 

I will try maybe about 2 to 4 episodes more to see whether I'll continue to watch or drop it all together. I'm tempted to leave it while I was in the middle of watching ep 2 because I felt bored hahaha :pandaheadstomp:

• Haha 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

12 minutes ago, LaLa said:

During the drinking in ep 2, it was mentioned that Young Guk are currently 41 (Korean Age). Let's say DD is now 27 (by Korean Age) so the age difference is 14 years, isn't it?

Yes, drama age difference is 14 years. In fact, I just checked, they’re also far apart in real life, 11 years gap 😅 

13 minutes ago, LaLa said:

The house felt so familiar to me. Anyone in here have watched angel's last mission by Shin Hye Sun and Kim Myung Soo? The house they used in that drama and this drama is the same, no?

Yes it’s the same house. The exterior been used quite frequently in dramas that I recognize it easily. Another one of them is That Winter The Wind Blows (Jo In Sung and Song Hye Kyo)

17 minutes ago, LaLa said:

And I think I saw Lee Il Hwa as part of the casts line up, but so far she hasn't appeared yet. Don't tell me she's going to play the missing DD mother? :pandathink: Based on the poster or stills that I have seen she looked quite okay, so is her character reach her dream as a fashion designer? 

Since they used the same actors for the parents of DD, I am guessing they will use the same actress for her mother if ever she came back...? 🤔 But who knows, maybe LIH will be DD’s mother. And yes, the actress of DD was in HP2. 

• Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

3 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@ktcjdrama @stroppyse

Really in Be A Meal, the story was much worse, the ML brought up the FL as his daughter then they fell in love. I stopped watching because of that.

Here it does not seem that the gap is so large. I mean perhaps 10 years.

Yes, but in Be a Meal, the ML lead dies in the end of disease and the FL ends up marrying her childhood friend with the ML's blessings.

2 hours ago, LaLa said:

The house felt so familiar to me.

Well, they only have so many sets. LOL. I honestly don't even check any more, especially because on weekend and daily dramas, they use the same sets, especially if it's broadcasting on the same station.

Btw, you all have sharp eyes to pick out all those details to the sets! Respect!

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The recent one My Roomate is a Gumiho. 

Thanks. I ended up not watching this drama after all.

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I guess big age gap doesn’t really bother me especially when both are grown up, which depending on what country, the legal age varies too.

In RL, as long as both parties are consenting adults, I don't really care what they do. It doesn't involve me at all. However, watching a drama is different since that is part of the story that I have to buy into. Also, a big age difference in RL can bring all sorts of problems into the relationship which dramas very rarely address or only make a passing reference to whereas in RL, they can be significant stressors. In America at least, a big difference in age can frequently end in separation or divorce as people grow farther apart. Heck, a relationship with one's peer when you share the same touchstones are difficult enough without introducing a decade or more difference to the mix. So, stories where the leads have big age differences doesn't feel real to me and so doesn't resonate. It's ultimately what I want or not want to watch, and I've noticed that I tend to prefer the age difference to not be on the more extreme side.

2 hours ago, LaLa said:

I'm tempted to leave it while I was in the middle of watching ep 2 because I felt bored hahaha

LOL. I do know what you mean, though. I found episode 2 harder to get through. Still, I'm happy to give this drama at least a 4 episode trial to see how I feel about it.

• Like 4

I didn't realize this was going to be a 50 episode drama! I have never seen a K drama this long but I am intrigued enough to give this one a try.

The first episode was a bit confusing because there were so many characters involved. However, I think I understood who is who so it's all good.

I understand why DD's dad kept the truth about her mom from her when she was a child but now that she's grown up, I think she has the right to know what really happened. It's not healthy for anyone to be keeping the truth hidden at this point.

I have to say I am surprised at how Dae Bom's mom turned out. Considering that she entered into a relationship with DD's dad for their children's benefit, I am surprised that she seemed to be more of a burden than a partner. 

I think the scene of DD as a 13 yr old meeting Young Guk for the first time really emphasized the age gap between them. It does seem really strange to think of them as being a couple some day. If there is a 14-yr age gap between them, then if DD is 25, YG is 39. I agree that the big age gap in RL does not work so well but it isn't entirely impossible. My grandparents had a 12-yr age gap between them but they were good together as a couple. So personally, the age gap doesn't really bother me as much. 

I am curious to find out what the late wife was like. She seemed to have been well loved by both YG and the children. 

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

Yay 😄 @Mouse is watching this too.... let’s hope it’s good enough to make all of us want to continue watching and not drop it. 

23 hours ago, LaLa said:

And I think I saw Lee Il Hwa as part of the casts line up, but so far she hasn't appeared yet. Don't tell me she's going to play the missing DD mother? 

I saw the press conference for this drama. I think your guess is correct that LIH will be DD’s mother. Because there is a picture taking of the three of them. Dad being in center and both women linking arm with him. Then it seems like the character by Park Ha Na will be paired with Kang Eun Tak. The two of them posing together  for picture. 

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

On 9/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, Mouse said:

I understand why DD's dad kept the truth about her mom from her when she was a child but now that she's grown up, I think she has the right to know what really happened. It's not healthy for anyone to be keeping the truth hidden at this point.

I so totally agree! I'm aware that one's child is one's child forever and a parent may continue to feel protective, but as an adult, knowing the truth seems so much better for everyone.

I have to say I am surprised at how Dae Bom's mom turned out. Considering that she entered into a relationship with DD's dad for their children's benefit, I am surprised that she seemed to be more of a burden than a partner. 

I don't think it's inconsistent. I think she's actually probably been drawn rather realistically. She suggested the marriage as a matter of practicality rather than love with her husband, though it was love for her son that also motivated her to do it. She is a kind-hearted woman, though she can't help but be a bit more protective and loving of her own child versus her step-child.

Also, there were indications that her family needed money and that she herself had been struggling, especially after she became a widow. So, when the opportunity arose for her son to make some money and not have to struggle, she took the risk without properly thinking about what the risk entailed.

So, she's practical, kind-hearted, but perhaps not the smartest or most thoughtful person. I can understand DD's father's willingness to be supportive of her since from his prospective, he was on the verge of committing murder-suicide till she made him the offer.  I'm not sure if this couple is in love now, but they do have things keeping them together.

I am curious to find out what the late wife was like. She seemed to have been well loved by both YG and the children. 

I was wondering whether we might see her in flashback, especially since this is a 50 ep drama. In a shorter drama, it's usually a bad idea unless it was a part of a mystery of some kind, since it takes away from the development of an OTP, but in a longer drama, I think it will be quite a while before the OTP get together.

1 hour ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I understand now that the old woman in the house is YG's father's mistress.

Ah. I had thought that she was YG's father's second wife, but she could have been his father's mistress before becoming the 2nd wife? Anyway, it's clear that YG does not care for her.

If no one else answers you on this one, I'll take a look at the scene you reference later since I don't remember how he introduced himself to her.

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2
14 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I do have a question, someone calls DD's brother and he goes to the disco where he met Lee Se-Ryeon. How did he introduce himself to her? It is a bit unclear.

Well, he doesn't really introduce himself to her. He's dancing and she notices him, so let's him dance with her, being quite flirtatious about it. Then they find themselves in bed waking up together the next morning, where he calls her "Baby" and says that she looks like a pretty fawn to him. And, she's so charmed by that, that she buys him some clothes and decides to keep him as a boyfriend.

• Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1

Wow. Episode 3 made me dislike pretty much all of the characters other than Dan Dan and the three kids. DD's stepmother is a totally selfish person after all, and is reminding me more and more of a parasite. DD's father can't help but give in to his wife, though at least he seems to understand that sooner or later, his wife is going to cause him to lose the job that he finally got. Not that his wife cares as long as she can live the stolen life of relative luxury as long as she can. Interesting how her expressed desire to do better by him lasted about as long as for her to be uncomfortable. Guess she will just take all that she can, and doesn't mind that he will be a delivery boy working for tips and risking his life on a motorcycle rather than having the safer and better paid job as a driver.

DD's stepbrother knows better, but seems that he's also willing to buy into anything that means that he doesn't actually have to do any work? I like the actor who is playing the stepbrother actually, but I'm already tired of the character.

Secretary Jo, her mother, and her aunts can just all go away now. I've already started fast-forwarding through their scenes, especially since they mostly seem to be screechy ones right now.

Even Young Gook is kind of blah and clueless. He's supposed to be this brilliant businessman, except he's so clueless.

@Nohamahmoud2002, I agree with you that the scenes of DD and Se Jong are the best. I don't mind the other 2 kids either who are going through difficulties of their own.

Anyway, I hope episode 4 is better.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@ktcjdrama Guk Hee seems good till now, but do you think she will remain good when the romance between the two leads begin? 

:smile:

did you watch Man in a veil? Eru is here too (You know, YG's lawyer)

She seems to be a civilised person, haha, so I hope so. She might be the only one who will support them in their relationship...? 

Yes I watched Man in Veil. Not very familiar with Eru, although I know he is a singer. I am more interested in the appearance of Kang Eun Tak. Wonder why he is still not showing up except for that very brief scene in ep.1, where if you blink, you'll miss him. Haha...

Ep.4 was a little bit better in that there's finally some emotions at the end of the episode. But about DD giving those bullies a lesson, I laughed so much... like, is she (an adult) allowed to beat up high school kids like that? :laugh: I know it was made to be comedic, but the action sequence was quite violent. Anyway, I hope that'll be the last we see of those bullies. 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

13 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes I watched Man in Veil. Not very familiar with Eru, although I know he is a singer. I am more interested in the appearance of Kang Eun Tak. Wonder why he is still not showing up except for that very brief scene in ep.1, where if you blink, you'll miss him. Haha...

Eru was Yura's boyfriend, and Seo Woo Jin's birth dad.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHBFme5JPRmONpm_P_OhL

20200915143612241oukc.jpg

Yes I am waiting for Kang Eun Tak too lol

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Eru was Yura's boyfriend, and Seo Woo Jin's birth dad.

Yes, yes, I remember him. We were hoping to see more of him towards the end, but no, didn't happen...

Btw, CMIIWW, I thought I heard the family ahjumma telling DD that YG isn't the birth child of the first wive, which is why his marriage to the dead wife was eventually approved even though first wive didn't like her family status and background. So that means the mother now is his birth mother? He and the sister are not half-sibling? 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, yes, I remember him. We were hoping to see more of him towards the end, but no, didn't happen...

Btw, CMIIWW, I thought I heard the family ahjumma telling DD that YG isn't the birth child of the first wive, which is why his marriage to the dead wife was eventually approved even though first wive didn't like her family status and background. So that means the mother now is his birth mother? He and the sister are not half-sibling? 

I didn't notice that. But I noticed that she said Se Jung ( Seo Woo jin is an orphan)

• Like 2