Writer: Kim Sa Kyung

Episodes: 50 (weekends)

Air Date: September 25th, 2021

Cast:

Ji Hyun Woo - Lee Young Gook

Lee Se Hee - Park Dan Dan

Cha Hwa Yoon - Gong Yeon Shil

Summary:

Lee Young Gook is a widower with three children who has not gotten over the death of his wife. He decides to hire Park Dan Dan as a live-in nanny and tutor for his three children. Over time, Lee Young Gook becomes attracted to Park Dan Dan.

Park Dan Dan was born in 1995. Despite suffering from harsh circumstances, she has a bright and cheerful personality.

cr: MyDramaList.com, HanCinema.net

note: Since the various drama sites refer to Park Dan Dan being born in 1995, I wonder if she suffered from the Sampoong Department Store collapse somehow which was one of the biggest events of 1995 having led to over 500 deaths, though there were plenty of other notable events that year, including the arrests of former Korean presidents on various corruption charges.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started watching A Gentleman and a lady. Saw some youtube clips. It is good but so many nagging characters as usual lol. I watched raw so I still can't figure out the plot. Any way FL is brought up by her dad whose wife eloped with her BF. He marries a widow/divorcee? who has a son. She saved the dad from suicide.

A few years later, we are introduced to the widower and his children. Still don't know Park Hana's role, but the little boy doesn't like her. (The ML's son).   

The FL sems to have the met the ML when she was 12 years old.

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 4

Not bad for a first episode. 
Just the highlight of Episode 1 , seriously the episode is so long.

Park DanBan was abandoned by her bio mom and left with her birth father. It seems Dad struggled a lot and Da Ban needed a mom to be registered since mom  & dad wasn't married. Dad almost committed a suicide so the ahjumma ( WIDOW) saved him by choosing to marry Mr Park so he wouldn't sudder anymore. Widow had a son from previous marriage.

TBH I already say that DB's life will be difficult. Seeing how week dad was, I knew he would always put his wife and her son first because she is his SAVIOR. Both parents made a mistake, 1. made sure DB know wife isn't her birth mom, 2 Park Dae Beum will get special treatment and 3 Lie about DB's birthmother. I know not wanting to scar his daughter made her very ungrateful when it was the paretns fault. There also shouldn't have been any favortism while she was growing up , which only made DB feel unloved because even daddy would side with Dae Beum. Smh smh smh

That would certainly happen beacause mom and grandma would spoil him. WHich in return would would make him lazy and someone who only know how to party all the time. 

I dislike how they would potray FL as a spoil brat but she seems to be more responsible than Park Dae Beum. She has a job and she doesn't cause any problem financially unlike what Ms Cha and Park Dae Beum did. They got scammed for a treasuse ship gig with the house deposit and now they will be evicted. Mom who hardly work and Dad who worls a food deliveryman  on a motor bike. Dan Ban finds out and freaks out and run away. Dad was the first to tell her to leave after she told him to divorce his wife after they already lost one. 

@Nohamahmoud2002  Hi long time no see chingu 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

I don't know what got into me, but I started this drama... Maybe because of my great love for The Sound of Music, and my curiosity for how this story will tell the similar story. 

First episode was very well done in introducing the various main characters and their connections. There are certainly some makjang traits seen in this one episode alone, I just hope it won't be too much down the road.

A little trivia, Ji Hyun Woo and Park Ha Na acted together before inr Love in Sadness.

One thing that worried me while watching is the use of the same apartment unit as Be My Dream Family :laugh: That drama is not finished and I'm seeing another family living in the same unit. The good thing is, from ep.2 preview they will move out of it. Then another thing is, the dead wife of ML is one the mistresses from Love feat. Marriage and Divorce :laugh: That character is so deeply etched in mind that it will take a lot for me to see her as another character. 

• Like 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

2 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

It bothers me that there are 3 actresses from My Only One. They all played mean characters.

They  are Yoon Jin yi (who played Da Ya),  Lim Ye Jin (who played Uee stepmom) and Cha Hwa Yeon (who played ML's mom). They are a nightmare 😵

Their characters were total nightmares, but they were actresses doing their roles to their utmost after all. Hopefully, they're not all evil characters here.

I wasn't able to catch the first episode because Viki was having problems with the video feedback of it, but hopefully, it's fixed. I want to watch the first two episodes and join you in chatting about it. Honestly, I like Ji Hyun Woo, and I feel as if I've been waiting forever for him to do a drama that I could finish watching. Hopefully, this is the one!

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Nohamahmoud2002, btw, the writer of this drama also wrote My Only One, and so the actresses you mention are a mini-reunion from that drama as well.

Watched the first episode, and I liked it, despite it being a bit jumpy as it tried to set up the various story lines. As usual for a weekend drama, it's going to get complicated.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the age difference between the ML and FL. The drama tackles it head on though since they first meet when the ML is a Navy officer and the FL is still in grade school.

However, Koreans tend to think that headstrong women need older, steadier husbands to support and cherish them, so maybe that is the direction this drama wants to take? We'll see.

Btw, I had wondered if the FL's mother dies in the awful RL accident, but it turned out not to be the case. Rather, the mother is portrayed as being rather selfish about what she wants and not wants to follow her dreams rather than be a wife and mother. Understanding how Koreans tend to think, I can see why the FL's father keeps the truth of her mother's desertion from her. Of course, that just leads to the FL drawing all sorts of conclusions on her own that are totally off-base.

I feel the first episode did a good job of introducing the FL and her family, and now it's time to get to know the ML and his family better, though we've already been told that he's a widower with 3 kids, but still very attractive to women who want him, his money, and his position, if not necessarily his kids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I dislike the character of Park Hana very much. She has her eyes on YG. She is an employee in his house. She doesn't get along with his kids. She even thought about sending his older kids to the US supposedly after marrying YG.

For now, I still have pity for her, because she did try hard to be good to the kids, albeit for an ulterior motive of marrying into the family, which we know it's not going to work. I wonder whether she is really in love with YG, or just love the idea of becoming the madam of the house, instead of being the butler only. Whether or not she is a gold-digger too. She for sure looks down on DanDan and thinks that she is no threat to her plan of marrying YG. I know we're not supposed to like her, so I'm sure later on she will grow more annoying. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I dislike the character of Park Hana very much. She has her eyes on YG. She is an employee in his house. She doesn't get along with his kids. She even thought about sending his older kids to the US supposedly after marrying YG.

Agreed. She's a plain gold digger through and through.  @ktcjdrama, I don't think that she really loves YG or anything, though she likes that he's good looking and rich. In fact, she seems to like almost everything about him other than his kids.

And, I think the reason the kids aren't responding to her is because she is so clearly fake. The kids also have attitude problems of their own, including how they treat the people who work in the house, but I can see that they would have little patience for someone trying to get closer to them without actually being interested in them.

Btw, does the basic set up of this drama remind anyone else a little bit of the movie 'Parasite'? It's not that Dan Dan's family are totally opportunistic (well, except for the stepmother maybe) and all planned to live in the same rich family's house... It's just that Dan Dan joins the house as a nanny/tutor for the kids, her step-brother is dating the daughter of the house and seems to have moved in with her, her father has moved in as the chauffeur, and her stepmother seems to want to move in as well. I can't tell from the preview whether they are going to try to hide their familial relationships or not, for the sake of their various work positions, but my guess is that they will.

I assume that it's just an amusing set up rather than with the murderous intent of the movie, especially since a romantic relationship between DD and YG is supposed to develop, but I just couldn't help but be struck by the similarities in the set up.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Netizens disapprove of the age gap between ML and FL. I really find it OK, but it was not really necessary for them to meet when Dan Dan was a teenager, I think that scene wasn't received well by some viewers.

It has always been a problem of kdramas with big age gap :idk: Even a fantasy drama like The Goblin (a 900 yo mythical being) doesn't escape this criticism. But a Gumiho that's close to 1000 years old dating a university student is fine  :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

3 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Netizens disapprove of the age gap between ML and FL. I really find it OK, but it was not really necessary for them to meet when Dan Dan was a teenager, I think that scene wasn't received well by some viewers.

Yes, I'm one of those viewers who question large age gaps between romantic leads, regardless of whether the man is older or the woman is older. For instance, I wasn't happy with the 28 year age gap between Ttaeng Ja and Gong Chae in Revolutionary Sisters. For this drama, I'm still willing to give it a watch, but I'm also not sure with the age gap since this seems to be more of a hard-working Candy type story. However, I wonder if whether if the knetz are displeased enough whether the ML will end up with his friend as a partner instead of the FL?

Also, I agree that having them meet when FL was a child and the ML was in active service felt a bit weird. It's not really a meet cute moment because at those ages, the age gap is really huge, as in DD saw YG as being an ajusshi while he just sees her as some kid.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

It has always been a problem of kdramas with big age gap :idk: Even a fantasy drama like The Goblin (a 900 yo mythical being) doesn't escape this criticism. But a Gumiho that's close to 1000 years old dating a university student is fine  :laugh:

Not sure which Gumiho drama that you are referring to, however, at least as a university student, she/he is of age? Goblin felt weird to me in that she's a high school student when he starts obsessing over her. Then again, I'm not a fan of Goblin. And, as with all fantasy stories where one of the protagonist is much older (hundreds of years even), I tend to think that the attraction is just purely physical even when the drama tries to make it seem destined. Btw, I also had a problem with the American movie series Twilight in that it felt creepy that such an old being would fall in love with a high school girl, though those films had a lot of other problems with them as well.

• Like 4