A Gentleman and A Young Lady [2022]

Not caught up on ep 4 yet because my weekend was really busy, but it seems I need to catch up since a lot more info was given on the male lead and his family.

Ooh, Man in a Veil. There was a brief glimpse of Kang Eun Tak, but haven't really seen him yet. According to the character descriptions, he's going to be the good for nothing brother of DD's stepmother, the cause of DD's family losing their money as the stepmother's mother insists on giving money to Cha Gun. I'm not sure if he is a good guy or a villain yet.

Still waiting for Lee Il Hwa who I think will be DD's bio mom, though her character description doesn't quite match the woman we saw leave with another man at the airport.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Whoa, as suspected from her over reacting whenever Se Jung is concerned, Sara is his birth mother. I don’t think this is spoiler since it’s out in the open so early in the show. Wonder what kind of drama about this that we will see down the road. My question now is whether YG’s wife knows about this or not, that Sara begged her to adopt SeJung, or Sara just found ways to be employed in the same household. I can’t remember for sure, was it mentioned before that they were good friends? 

The boy acting as SeJung is really good in the acting. I love that because he is older now, we get to hear him speaks more lines too. He’s gonna make it big in this industry. 

I am not liking the part that DD’s mother is someone that YG highly looks up to and calling noona as well 🙄 How awkward is this show making the relationship of the OTP to be? Not to mention the already big age gap and then him calling her birth mother noona? Then later call her MIL?? At this point, I think I am hoping for no romance between YG and DD. Let them be just good friends/partners in raising the kids, and let YG be with GH? 🤣 Will my wishful thinking be possible? 

That means when DD’s mother, Anna Kim, started growing close to YG, he was already a teen then? 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

19 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am not liking the part that DD’s mother is someone that YG highly looks up to and calling noona as well 🙄 How awkward is this show making the relationship of the OTP to be? Not to mention the already big age gap and then him calling her birth mother noona? Then later call her MIL?? At this point, I think I am hoping for no romance between YG and DD. Let them be just good friends/partners in raising the kids, and let YG be with GH? 🤣 Will my wishful thinking be possible? 

I think that it's the age gap in general that's at play. It's not bad that YG calls Anna Kim "noona" since we've established that YG is 14 years older than DD.

I'm just still not sure how I feel about a romance between YG and DD. However, a romance between YG and GH doesn't feel right either. It's established that GH had a crush on YG, but it seemed as if he only had eyes for his dead wife.

As for SR and SJ, I'll have to watch to check, but if SJ is SR's son, is he not YG's birth son? I can't imagine that SW and YG would have produced a child that YG's wife would have taken in.

However, SR and YG's wife were friendly since SR was YG's wife's hoobae (meaning junior person at school), and SR seems to have come to work for them before YG's wife died.

Anyway, I guess it's good that they're coming out with the complications now, but so far, the drama feels like a series of reveals rather than any actual story. So far, I just feel sorry for all of YG's kids. I don't know if I like any of the adult characters at all, including YG and DD, at least for now.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

As for SR and SJ, I'll have to watch to check, but if SJ is SR's son, is he not YG's birth son?

It is clear that he is not YG’s birth son as SR’s then boyfriend made an appearance and asked about the baby 6 years ago. But SR told him no baby, that she wasn’t expecting when they broke up. Also, we’re told that YG was very much against the adopting initially. So it must be his wife wanting to help a hoobae. 

Yeah, at a glance this is like The Sound of Music setting, but of course with all characters coming out and somehow all gathered at the mansion, it’s not like that anymore. Definitely more complicated than SoM and Parasite. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

So it must be his wife wanting to help a hoobae. 

I don't think that the wife knew that the baby was SR's baby since it looked as if the baby had literally been left abandoned on their front lawn. I think SR, once she had recovered from giving birth, probably begged her friend for a job without revealing that SJ was her baby.

So, after 6 episodes, I'm still having a very hard time with this drama, mostly in the sense that I find so few of the characters likable or interesting. Starting with DD's family, her step-brother is basically a gigolo at this stage though it looks as if he's going to get dumped in episode 7, even if it's temporary. Her father is a bit of a pushover, and her step-mother is just a nightmare. Frankly, I'll probably watch episode 7 just to see them all kicked out of the rich family's house. Not that they are going to learn anything from it since in the previews it looks as if they all go to a restaurant where they eat and drink their fill. Curious where they'll actually sleep since none of them have any money. I guess the ubiquitous sauna maybe. The step-grandmother and other step-relatives are an even bigger nightmare. I guess when they took DD's father's money years before, they went on a grand holiday for themselves, then came back expecting to be able to freeload off DD's father again.

A number of the other characters, e.g Secretary Jo, her mother, GH and her sister, etc. are either pathetic or boring or both. I find myself fast forwarding a lot through the episodes of this drama.

I was anticipating Anna Kim's entry into the drama, but so far, don't find her story very compelling. So, she abandons her bf and their baby to pursue her dream of being a fashion designer, but obviously she feels bad about being selfish? She doesn't feel bad enough to actually change anything. She just feels bad enough to peep at her bf and their daughter a couple of times? Ugh. Who cares. And, now that she sees her ex-bf again, she causes herself to be sick. Again, so what. Apparently, despite an accident that totally changed the way she looks, she got what she wanted with the success and all.

There seems to be some small indication of a flirtation starting between the ML and FL, but it doesn't feel right to me. The FL seems closer in age to his daughter still than as a possible partner for him.

I still like the kids, and they are probably what would keep me checking to see where they take the story. For instance, I do wonder what the resolution will be over SJ. At some point, he will find out he's adopted, and then he will wonder about his birth parents, for instance. However, SR isn't going to end up with YG, so so much for her plans. Wonder if she'll leave SJ with YG and whoever YG ultimately marries, or whether she'll declare herself SJ's birth mother.

Anyway, I keep wondering if this is a drama that I need to take a 2-5 week break from to give some of the story lines a chance to develop before I give it another try. Please let me know if the drama gets better.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

I don’t view the  age gap between the ML and FL as a problem.  Obviously the storyline will need to romantic relationship. 

The misunderstandings, lack of communication, financial status, jealousy and secret births are all what drives this drama chaos.

The setting and storyline of father and daughter reminded me of  Uee’s drama My Only One. 

• Like 4

On 10/11/2021 at 2:45 AM, stroppyse said:

So, after 6 episodes, I'm still having a very hard time with this drama, mostly in the sense that I find so few of the characters likable or interesting. Starting with DD's family, her step-brother is basically a gigolo at this stage though it looks as if he's going to get dumped in episode 7, even if it's temporary. Her father is a bit of a pushover, and her step-mother is just a nightmare. Frankly, I'll probably watch episode 7 just to see them all kicked out of the rich family's house. Not that they are going to learn anything from it since in the previews it looks as if they all go to a restaurant where they eat and drink their fill. Curious where they'll actually sleep since none of them have any money. I guess the ubiquitous sauna maybe. The step-grandmother and other step-relatives are an even bigger nightmare. I guess when they took DD's father's money years before, they went on a grand holiday for themselves, then came back expecting to be able to freeload off DD's father again.

THIS. I wanted to quote your entire post @stroppyse but it was long so I figured I'd just cut it to here but I loved your post. 

I would be glad to see DD's entire family get kicked out of the house as they are all incompetent and annoying. As much as I like DD's dad for being a good provider, I hate that he is such a pushover. Of the entire family, I find the stepmom the most annoying. Every scene she's in makes me want to hurl the tv remote at her. Her mother and brother are also equally annoying. 

As for Sarah, I suspected as much - that SJ was her child considering how affectionate and partial she was to him compared to the other children. What I am curious to find out is whether the deceased wife knew about it. I don't think YG knows though. This truth being revealed early on in the drama makes me wonder how much this complicated relationship is going to get in the way of the leads (if it will).

As for Anna Kim, from the preview, it looks like she will mistake DD's cousin as DD. Okay, so she felt remorse for leaving her husband and baby behind to pursue her dreams but then she comes back to peep at them. What for?? 

I think the age gap between the leads is exacerbated by the fact that YG dresses so formally and behaves so stiffly. I wonder if in time, he will grow to be more relaxed and chill around his family. I think if he softened and became more chill, it wouldn't be such a stark contrast to DD as we see her now. 

This is the first Korean weekend drama I'm watching so I'm not used to the 50 episode length and I'm so surprised by the amount of characters and complicated situations between them. Reminds me of a typical soap opera. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 1

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Maybe she might die...? That ex-lover of hers is no gentleman for sure. 

Sara has very strong maternal feelings for her son. She will never give him up, unless she is paired with Gun (Kang Eun Tak). But still, how can she be with her son if YG won't give him back to her?  It is so complicated lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Am skipping scenes already, haha... especially for the mothers scenes. Only watching when the youngsters are on. 

Enjoyed every scenes with Se Jung. He is so adorable! I really really like it that the child actor is speaking more and more since in the past, I've only see him with hardly any lines delivered (Hi Bye Mama). 

I'm actually invested in the relationship of YG's sister with DD's brother. I want to know how they will overcome the misunderstanding that he approached her because of the money. They do seem to sincerely love each other, despite physical attraction at first. 

It seems that the age gap between the leads is purposely set wide apart. The age difference will surely be a hurdle they have to overcome since age difference been mentioned twice in the drama. First when SaRa told her mother that there won't be any possibility between YG and DD because their big age gap. Then last night's episode, we learned that DD's brother is 7 years younger than YG's sister, and the family is aghast about that.

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Am skipping scenes already, haha... especially for the mothers scenes. Only watching when the youngsters are on. 

I solve this problem by watching KBSWORLD on TV, where I can do something else in the background lol.

I love the child Woo Jin so much. Did you see him in Man in a veil? He has a good chemistry with Kang Eun Tak.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I love the child Woo Jin so much. Did you see him in Man in a veil? He has a good chemistry with Kang Eun Tak.

Yes, but his scenes are very limited there that it didn't really leave much impression... :laugh: You already know what those other things that stood out more from that unforgettable drama... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

On 10/14/2021 at 6:55 AM, Mouse said:

This is the first Korean weekend drama I'm watching so I'm not used to the 50 episode length and I'm so surprised by the amount of characters and complicated situations between them. Reminds me of a typical soap opera. LOL

Because the weekend dramas have so much time to fill, they usually have a lot of supporting characters who have their own scenes and issues aside from the main couple. Time-wise, only the daily dramas have even more time to fill. In a good drama, the side characters hook you in. In a not-good drama, you do a lot of fast forwarding. LOL

On 10/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Kang Eun Tak switched on Taepong mode ,😊

:laugh:

On 10/16/2021 at 6:22 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@ktcjdrama btw, the only way for the writer to let DD and YG get married is to kill off Sara.

I was wondering about that as well. Since SJ is SR's son, she won't give him up. However, it will be very disorienting for SJ to find out that SR is his mother, especially since he doesn't seem to feel any special affection for SR.  Rather, I expect that he'll be upset if he has to live with SR rather than YG and the others who SJ thinks of as his family.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Sara has very strong maternal feelings for her son. She will never give him up, unless she is paired with Gun (Kang Eun Tak). But still, how can she be with her son if YG won't give him back to her?  It is so complicated lol.

True. Since SJ is officially registered as YG's son, YG would agree to have SJ removed from his registry in order for SR to claim SJ. However, SR really wanted her son to be a rich man's son, so even if she fails to become YG's wife, would she really try to take SJ away from being part of a chaebol family?

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I'm actually invested in the relationship of YG's sister with DD's brother. I want to know how they will overcome the misunderstanding that he approached her because of the money. They do seem to sincerely love each other, despite physical attraction at first. 

Well, he was basically living off her ever since he left his own home, even if it was really YG's half-sister who basically took him to her place, then claimed that since she loved him, her money was his money, and all that. DD's step-brother really just needs to mature and grow up a LOT. Actually, so does YG's half-sister.

Also, I was under the impression that in order for YG's half-sister to get her inheritance, she needed to marry appropriately? So, not sure how this relationship is going to go. I don't see the half-sister walking away from her inheritance, regardless of love, especially since she seems flighty and has no job skills.

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

It seems that the age gap between the leads is purposely set wide apart. The age difference will surely be a hurdle they have to overcome since age difference been mentioned twice in the drama. First when SaRa told her mother that there won't be any possibility between YG and DD because their big age gap. Then last night's episode, we learned that DD's brother is 7 years younger than YG's sister, and the family is aghast about that.

I think the writer knew that the age differences would generate comments among knetz as well, so it's better for the drama to address them now rather than just ignoring it as if it was normal. Because, large age gaps are still not the norms for SK.

9 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

So cute!

Yes, I'm still watching mostly for the kids' scenes. SJ is just too adorable as well, and such a good actor already! I'm also waiting to see when the middle child Se Chan's story arc starts since I'm assuming he will have one as well.

• Like 2
On 10/17/2021 at 5:35 AM, ktcjdrama said:
On 10/17/2021 at 5:14 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Yes, but his scenes are very limited there that it didn't really leave much impression... :laugh: You already know what those other things that stood out more from that unforgettable drama..

He is also in Hi Bye Mama On Netflix.  I was shocked how good he is.  He played a girl with no problem. I noticed he is crying like raindrops on cue.  very impressive!

He Also had a guest appearance on Return to Superman. 

On 10/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, stroppyse said:

I think the writer knew that the age differences would generate comments among knetz as well, so it's better for the drama to address them now rather than just ignoring it as if it was normal. Because, large age gaps are still not the norms for SK.

When Dan Dan and MB stand next to each other on camera, it’s very obvious Dan Dan is younger.  If it’s acceptable for dramas that are Noona Romances why not acceptable the other way around?

Young Guk  seems to have a lot of anger he is holding inside.  The trip to amusement park gave a slight hint they are attracted to each other.  YG did notice Dan Dan in the new white dress….hint!?:wow:

as for the old ladies I don’t pay attention to their nonsense story line either :lol:

Edited by Mizv
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mizv said:

If it’s acceptable for dramas that are Noona Romances why not acceptable the other way around?

Not really. Noona romance dramas are more common on cable stations rather than the three main broadcasters, though KBS' drama Revolutionary Sisters that preceded this drama had a major noona romance as a side character story that wasn't well received by the audiences.

Given the number of fantasy dramas where the male lead is immortal, probably more oppa dramas with large age differences, however, those are fantasy while this is supposed to be reality and also it's the OTP.

Anyway, as long as it's handled well and the drama is engaging, I doubt the OTP romance will get much backlash.

1 hour ago, Mizv said:

When Dan Dan and MB stand next to each other on camera, it’s very obvious Dan Dan is younger.

Btw, who is MB?

1 hour ago, Mizv said:

He is also in Hi Bye Mama On Netflix.

I've only watched clips of that drama, but he is totally adorable. I also think it's cook that he was cast to be the daughter since he looks so much like Lee Tae Hee.

Also, caught the episode where he's on Return of Superman. It took me a bit to recognize who he was, but was super adorable.

I think he's totally killing it in this drama.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Chemistry with Kang Eun Tak

I wonder if Woo Jin and Kang Eun Tak have even more chemistry together since this is their second drama together? Just for that reason alone, I would be fine with SJ living with SR and Gon as their son if SR and Gon do end up together.  Though, it must still be traumatic for SJ to find out that Secretary Jo is his actual mother rather than the parents that he had known and loved until then.

• Like 2

E_1MsvuVQAw36y0?format=jpg&name=900x900

sometimes the cover photos can give connection hints.  Since Cha Gun is in this picture, I am assuming he is Se Jong Birth dad.   Since Dan Dan in middle maybe she is only to connect everyone in this family and not a romantic relationship with Yong Guk.

The actress that plays Anna… it seems her face is really blown up from surgery or something?  I notice these thing I apologize. Now I will probably stare at her in Kings Affection, to make sure am not imagining things.  

• Insightful 1