Reset 开端 [2022]

Ok, I've finished two episodes. Watching the third now but I thought I'll come in to say this drama reminds me of the movie Source Code.

You guys have seen most of the episodes so maybe you already know all that I'm going to say or speculate. 😅 You may skip then.

Anyway, so... for now, I think it's really similar to Source Code where the ML kept going in a loop in different dimension trying to stop the explosion. I am at the part that Bai Jing Ting and the actress trying to figure out their looping timeline, they realised every time they wake up the time they woke up to is one minute earlier and earlier, and if my memory serves me right, this is similar to Source Code as well. Therefore I'm guessing each time they return, they are trying to give themselves more time to react and stop the bombing.

Things I also noted:

There's a guy sitting at the back of the bus in a black mask - not sure if he plays a part. I also thought why in episode 1 that Detective Jang was shown to try to twist the bottle cap with his right hand but couldn't and used his left instead - is there a significance in this scene?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I'm done with the 4th episode. The moment Shi Qing report to the police again, I did an internal scream of "Noooooo". I'm 100% with He Yun on this one. They barely had time to discuss about what's going on; it really was not a good idea to call the police, get stuck in questioning and waste time. And LOL, I'd be so stressed and mind going overdrive that I'm not sure I can Zzz to get back into the loop 😅

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
On 1/22/2022 at 7:42 AM, mademoiselle said:

Lu Di looks 😍. Who is this guy? Anyway, he resembles Korean actor Park Solomon.

LOL at He Yun being jealous there's another person might join the loop.

ahahah too bad he didn't ...he's pretty good looking. Can look out for future shows.

-----------

Since I am following  subbed episode pacing, Eps 8 was so darn good - kept me on the edge of the seat. There were a couple of touching stories especially the one on the watermelon uncle but when they finally discovered the lady with the bomb the show shifted to high gear. I continue to like the different thought processes of our leads when thinking it would be their last loop. As expected she decides to stay on to do everything she can to save them. He makes a more realistic decision of just saving themselves since this seems like a hopeless cause. But interestingly he could never let her do it alone. I know there's no outright romance, but these two have gone through so much together that if they ever get out of this , I think they should date :laugh:. I mean , no one else will ever get them and what they have been through.

Considering they have already done this close to 18 times or more ( at eps 8), it is surprising  that they have not gone crazy yet. Each round they carry more information and absorb more personal stories of the other passengers; I think would have had a mental breakdown if this happens to me.

So now that they know who is the culprit and that He Yun was the one who stabbed her out of self-defense, surely they will have to re-enter the loop again. If not he might end up being the "murderer" , no?

I hope we quickly get subs for eps 9...

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@mademoiselle I liked Lu Di too and his interaction with the leads. It is so dorky yet cute. XHJ being jealous without explicitly saying so is just adorable. Oh, those light-hearted scenes will be missed. 😆

@abs-oluteM Finally, you are at episode 8!!! It totally blew me away... I did not expect that level of intensity... The result is that I kept thinking about it ever since. :nervous:  I think the drama portraits their relationship in a very subtle yet heart-warming/wrenching way. The anti-explosion CP has sailed.. and Chinese netizens can't get enough of it.

Unfortunately, EP9 with subs will come Tuesday, I think...

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Ep.14

Spoiler

- It's super sad to see how devastated the mother was because of the girl's death. Even more devastating when she saw how the netizens are mocking the death of her precious daughter. It's sad also that she is blaming her husband for not picking up the two phone calls before their daughter got off the bus. It is so unfair for the father to hold him responsible because he didn't have his phone with him when the calls came in. But then I cannot bring myself to hate the mother too. Initially I was cursing at her madness to set off the bomb on innocent people, but after knowing the backstory, I really cannot blame her for her crazy desperation. The actress is really good. Wished that someone had reached out to the grieving couple.  

- Really... irresponsible netizens are the cruelest of them all, imo. Taking advantage of the anonymity of posting on the internet and hiding behind the screen and keyboard, and forcing people into despair and distress. I really hope that this drama can help bring about more awareness for the general public to refrain from useless and overboard criticism. 

- About what happened on the bus 5 years ago... I have a personal story to tell, but it can wait till everyone is caught up with subbed episodes. 

Ep.15 (Spoilers, spoilers... Don't open until you have watched the finale. Open at own risk!)

Spoiler

- XHY so sweet... love that he promised he will not ever forget LSQ and go find her if they ever woke up not remembering the whole loop incident. Then the kiss... accompanied by Zhou Shen crystal clear voice singing the OST. I was grinning in front of my screen. Kinda bittersweet though, since we don't know what will happen next. 

- So happy to see Zhang alive again and leading his team into action.

- I love how LuDi immediately nodded to help when he was told he's the chosen one. LOL... no other explanation needed for him. Gosh, he is so brave. Hugging the bomb.

- The acting and production of this drama is really top notch. I feel like my heart was racing along with them as they went into the last loop, and then I couldn't stop my tears from streaming down when the bomb threat was finally really truly over. What a big sigh of relief! And later on we see the contrast of the family members of the passengers attending the award ceremony, all smiling and applauding, vs. crying at the police station. 

- The ending montage of the passengers was a nice touch too. Especially when LuDi got gifted his very own furless cat by his parents.

The drama wrapped up well. Although I do have one question that is not answered, I'm perfectly fine not knowing, because the drama is just that good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama I am still reading all the reactions online... it is nice that the drama is short, but it is not nice to say goodbye.

ep 14-15

Spoiler

This is the ending everyone sort of expected and hoped for... except the kiss I guess (I for one didn't expect that, haha). But I am not complaining.

I know that people might complain that the ending is too perfect - everyone gets what they have wished for. But there are two responses to that:

- WMM still died, and his parents went through hell to get the answer they finally wanted. It is really ironic that they had to bomb the bus, and "use" a miracle of two people trapped in time loop, to get that answer. This is telling, and I can't help thinking that the drama is making a point here: in reality, things are much more crueler with all the unanswered question and unserved justice. The fact that everything ended so well for everyone on the bus is almost too good to be true. I saw comments that maybe it is all a dream, because only in dreams can things be perfect. 

- I really like (and didn't expect) that the solution to end the loop is not just to save everyone (which they already achieved last round), but to make WMM's parents let go and get the answer. That's why in the end, the one who ended everything is the father who did so voluntarily. This is the real point of the drama: one about bravery from normal people, one about internet bullying, one about justice. 

Bonus:

Spoiler

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1qS4y1L7uL?spm_id_from=444.41.0.0

BJT plays the famous song Canon in piano. I have never seen him play a whole song, though I knew that he used to play piano very well (level 10 or something). I read that he bought a piano to practice in Hengdian, where he is shooting his next drama. 

BTW, the one who posts this is his own account - he makes every interesting content and it is worth checking out if you can understand/read Mandarin. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

What a gem and an excellent start to the year as far as C dramas are concerned. After the famine that was the last six months of 2021, I've found some decent C dramas to watch at last.  Reset is the cream of the crop. I especially appreciated the wrap up in the nail-biting finale. 

My favourite part to this drama in toto has to be the growth of the leads. They started off as a couple of scared kids not knowing their left hand from their right and matured into proactive earnest heroes in their own right learning from their mistakes as they went along. Even their romance made so much sense to the audience and there's a lovely nod to You Are My Hero. I feel somewhat validated by the playing out of their romance because there were people on another platform who insisted that there was "no romantic development" in the show despite my remonstrations.

Bai Jingting somehow manage to de-age himself in the entire process. I'm not sure how they did it but he looked younger and younger as the story progressed. Maybe it's the helpless look that accentuates his vulnerability and lostness. He and Zhao Jinmai are genuinely talented and versatile performers.

Spoiler

I'm satisfied with the ending because I never really expected them to explain the time loop. It was the "why" that mattered most in this. My own view is that Shuqing had a connection with the driver and he once mentioned his daughter who was an alumnus at her university when she died. That connection perhaps trigger some kind of supernatural outreach by the dead girl to Shuqing in order to save everyone on that bus and her own parents from making a devastating mistake. As to how Xiao Heyun got dragged into the time loop and no one else did... I imagine that was to partly simplify things and to give Shiqing a nice boy to help and romance her.

Of course, I think the leads got away easily without any need to explain how they had all the facts at their fingertips but because all lives were saved, everyone was caught so nobody questioned their motives this time.

I kept thinking for most of the show that Liu Yijun would turn out to be some kind of co-conspirator or bad guy but surprisingly he didn't. Heh. This has to be the first thing I've ever seen him in where he isn't a baddie instead he gives off a nice fatherly vibe. 

I thought also that the wife of the driver and the victim's mother was rather too hard on her husband. The guilt-tripping was over-the-top.

I liked that the show gave all the passengers not just our leads a happy ending. It was very heartwarming seeing the watermelon dad meet up with his son at work and Di Lu resolve things with his parents regarding cats and other matters. The passengers on the bus all had their triumphant moment not just the leads. I'm glad the show ended with them getting their happily-ever-after because this is ultimately a good Samaritan morality story. If everyone pulls their weight in a crisis perhaps a tragedy can be averted. True, the speech at the award ceremony smacked of pontification and propaganda but I don't mind the reminder that ordinary people can step up and be courageous. 

In many ways I think the way the show works because it's more like a K drama than a normal C drama. The writing reminds me of the better cable crime dramas and the storytelling is disciplined. It doesn't meander needlessly or indulge in making peripheral things more important than they should be.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@Tofu Homework completed. Now it's your turn :heiboi:. Please issue an A+++ report card. :lol:

The last loop took a loooong time is what I see the Netizens pointed out and I agree after watching it myself.

Spoiler

Considered a two persons job became one with He Yun still unconscious, Shi Qing had to contact Detective Jang and recruit both passengers herself. And the scenes did take longer to play out with the clock ticking. The back & forth between Driver Wang and the police honestly felt like forever — my mind kept thinking "Wasn't this a time bomb?" and once again, they wait till the very last minute to take the bomb out of the bus with no protective gears on. I'd have expected Shi Qing to warn Detective Jang in gearing up.

There were 3 scenes that were different to previous loop. They skipped the part where she approached Meng Meng's mother to calm her suspicion. In this last loop, the mother was already alerted and suspicious of the whispering so I don't think it makes sense for her not reacting to it. The second bit was the police didn't try to stop the bus at the last stop where Lu Di gets on the bus. Shi Qing's text requested Detective Jang stopping the bus at the bridge however I'm not so sure as police they wouldn't attempt/repeat the same scenario at the last stop. The last one was Shi Qing waited until Driver Wang was hugging the bomb to tell him she knows what happened to Meng Meng. I had expected her to begin her persuasion way before the bus reach the bridge... obviously it's all planned to exercise one last suspense. LOL.

Both Shi Qing and He Yun got off from the police too easily this one last time although it is hinted they must have thoroughly investigated and couldn't find a link between the old couple and them so I'm not fussed since I don't really want to see them repeatedly being questioned. The parts at the police station are not the most interesting parts for me.

The show doesn't explain why all this happened. How the time loop happened I'm not too fussed because it's a bit like Signal and can be explained away with something supernatural but I'd love to know why He Yun's body became weaker and not Shi Qing's.

Anyone notice He Yun and Shi Qing were wearing matching attires when they received the reward from the police?

Overall, a nice and tightly written suspense thriller.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@ktcjdrama

Spoiler

Oh yes I cried at the part the mother started blaming the father. The Canon ringtone is haunting, I already don't really like this music (except the Rock version).

Same with you I thought it was unfair she blamed her husband. It's normal to miss a call but seeing how he doesn't even try to explain it because no matter what what's done was done. I feel so sad for him. I felt a bit better for him when she also said she blamed herself (because at first I thought she was just laying the blame on him not being able to answer their daughter's calls).

This part is really relatable in the sense that we all experience some kind of regrets in life and the "What if I had..." keeps looping in our minds and can't put it to rest for a loooong time and needed time to get over it.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

Fun trivia ~ The loop happened 25 times. There's a chart about each loop's details, but it's like super super long size (as they made it like a timeline - left to right) so I don't think I can post it here. 

@mademoiselle

Spoiler

Yes, I was glad the mother then at the end acknowledged she was to blame too... That's another reason why I really like the writing of the characters and the way they're acted out. 

LOL... Canon is often used as a wedding march.

And yes, I was like screaming to the scene, tell him now, tell him now, when she was next to the driver and asking him to stop the bus. But yeah, I guess it was for that one last suspense. And she needed to flash the culprit's photo to him. I guess it's not recommended when he is still behind the steering wheel? Haha... But I'm most in awe of Lu Di who hugged the bomb, hahahaa... He knew it's an explosive and yet he hugged it as instructed. 

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Anyone notice He Yun and Shi Qing were wearing matching attires when they received the reward from the police?

Me, me... I was smiling and noting to myself - it's couples outfit. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@mademoiselle

Spoiler

Fun fact: Regarding the last loop, there is a video where they timed exactly when XHY looked at the watch where it showed 13:44:12 to when they threw the pot under the bridge, and it is right on time. I also saw posts where they say some people tried to time each loop (where  they show time stamps like loop 24, 25), the time also matches. 
I guess it just feels much much  longer when you watch it. :-))

Re. Officer Zhang in the last loop:

Spoiler

I also saw comments that maybe Officer Zhang got in the loop last round (because he died in the hospital just like how XHY got into the loop). The evidence is that (1) the couple got away easy this time (2) when he stopped them outside the police station, he said why XHY had his phone number, though this time around it was LSQ who contacted him not XHY.

Edited by Xiaopz_pj
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2

@Xiaopz_pj

Spoiler

I don't think Detective Jang was in the loop in the last round because he just said they are suspicious that they know so much details. He didn't specifically look at He Yun saying "還知道我的電話". He just said to both “...還知道我的電話". Using the same logic as it applies to Lu Di, he didn't get into the loop as well because the condition to be in the loop is that person needs to be unconscious. Neither Lu Di nor Detective Jang were sleeping when the loop began.

As for the time seems longer for the last loop, the time didn't feel longer from that scene onwards. It seems longer even from before where a lot of screen time was taken to show us the car chasing and bumping cars/bus before the police/passenger was able to diffuse the situation.

@ktcjdrama IKR. That bomb is so dangerous and he's hugging it so tightly... willing to die with it...? 😅

Yeah Canon is used in wedding and specifically why I don't like it coz it's not really a chirpy tune to me LOL but it all depends on the music arrangement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oh nooooo am I the only one still waiting for the subs :cry:...maybe my new year's resolution should be improving my Mandarin ! I am trying not read all your posts yet to avoid spoilers. But I believe it was a satisfying ending from what I accidentally saw on Twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I just caught eps 9 and 10 ...oh wow I definitely didn't see this coming. Who knew the kind looking bus driver is in cahoots with the lady. I am sure there is some sad story to why they are both doing this.

Anyhow , I note that the leads have become closer and because I am fan of romance in the middle of danger :laugh:, I assume that they already have some sort of unspoken affection for each other. It is clear they won't let the other person go through this alone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Party! 2

On 1/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

My favourite part to this drama in toto has to be the growth of the leads. They started off as a couple of scared kids not knowing their left hand from their right and matured into proactive earnest heroes in their own right learning from their mistakes as they went along. Even their romance made so much sense to the audience and there's a lovely nod to You Are My Hero. I feel somewhat validated by the playing out of their romance because there were people on another platform who insisted that there was "no romantic development" in the show despite my remonstrations.

definitely 101% agree with you hahahaha....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
14 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Should I watch You’re My Hero? :thinking:

I am planning to...I watched till eps 8 the last time but I got so busy , I can't remember why I stopped. Since next week is a break for me , I will resume once this finishes. 

On 1/28/2022 at 1:21 AM, Xiaopz_pj said:

@abs-oluteM I think ep 9-10 are quite intense in terms of pace and discovery they had, which made the hug by the sea so much more touching. I really like that scene and the subtle romance between the leads. It is hard not to fall each other in such life-and-death situation when the other person is your only support.

True...though the romance is not front and center, it felt believable and organic. 

Sigh still no subs for eps 12 to 15. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Xiaopz_pj said:

@abs-oluteM I saw ep 12 out on Youtube - YoYo channel. The rest should be out next week, unfortunately... 

I just checked ...should be available soon (in a few hours for me) . I caught eps 11 and they have been investigating the bus driver and his wife. It does feel like this time round them going back to the cops may be different from previous rounds. But I wonder why he seems more affected physically each time he wakes up in these later loops. 

• Like 2

Eps 12 was superb. I was on the edge my seat with that whole bus chase. It was so close but so far for our leads - I cried when I saw Captain Zhang's injury at the end. I am sure the leads will reenter the loop again to save him. I hope Heyun's body can withstand this...I mean it looks like he's physically deteriorating with every loop. 

There was really quite a lot of progress in this episode. Finally we connect the dots between the bus driver and the lady with the bomb. Husband & wife who lost their child in an accident on this route and it looks like it this is a suicide mission and their way of making the authorities "wake-up" and investigate their daughter's case. But still this was selfish. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3