Love Like the Galaxy 星汉灿烂 [2022]

Tofu

@Tofu I saw some of the trailers before this, and there was one where the director said "You have to really hit him (Wu Lei) so that the veins appear/ are prominent (I suppose the veins on his forehead?). Hitting him was using that paddle thingie where one lies down and gets smacked on the buttocks. So I hope he didn't get hit too many times, poor guy, what dedication to art.

I like how ZLS's brows aren't as defined here, they are more faint which makes her look very much more gentle/timid, of course we know that's a facade, but still it helps to differentiate her from her other roles where she comes across as being more authoritative. 

• Insightful 1
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@IpohBanana Wu Lei gets really into his character sometimes where even I think it's a bit dangerous. He had a vomiting scene in a movie he was in (I forget the name), he ate bananas or some sort of food and forced himself to throw up. I want to say it happened multiple times too. Vomiting like that is not good because of the acid. It can destroy the lining in your esophagus. 

One of my biggest pet peeve in historical dramas are how their eye brows are drawn. I think the makeup artist overdo it sometimes. For this drama, it seems like they are all ok. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2
5 hours ago, Tofu said:

@IpohBanana Wu Lei gets really into his character sometimes where even I think it's a bit dangerous. He had a vomiting scene in a movie he was in (I forget the name), he ate bananas or some sort of food and forced himself to throw up. I want to say it happened multiple times too.

No kidding...but this one particular incident was at the request of the director, so I can't say it's his choice altogether.

I've seen a coming soon on the online poster for this drama on WeTV, would we be lucky enough to get this right after a Dream of Splendor ends? And imagine, Immortal Samsara not long after that...what a fortuitous summer

• Clapping Hands 2

@Tofu this is the first time I watched a proper trailer. I had no idea, there would be so much laughter and mischief contained within. LOL This is really going to be quite fun to watch, well at the beginning anyway before things go southbound somewhere just after the middle [keh keh keh]. But then again, with two episodes, where is the middle - the end of part 1???

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
16 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

@abs-oluteM my sentiments exactly. Then again, this has happened before, there's a funny trailer and a not-so-funny one. I am sure another trailer will be released soon for the latter. You think?

I am sure there will be an angsty one later .  

Film making ...Tencent posted a lot. Am sure it will air soon

More in spoilers

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@movingwheel @Tofu @abs-oluteM watched the first 2 eps....and the 4th one. 

I must say the comical family juxtaposed against the extremely serious Ling Bu Yi (Wu Lei) is rather entertaining. It's like one feels a sense of seriousness when looking at his face (it's even more serious than his portrayal of The Long Ballad, Ashille Sun, and from the previews, a lot darker, this character) but then one breaks out into laughter looking at how Shao Shang's clownish family behaves (more so as the mother has such a dead-pan face).

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

@IpohBanana yaa but my heart goes out to CSS.. 

The family was way too harsh and the fact the mother thought that she will rationalise CSS when she was not present for 15 yes is something unfathomable.

Oh by the way, a lot of people criticizing Wu lei saying he is looking too stoic...lol...ppl have problem with everything... I am absolutely loving him

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

@movingwheel I've watched all the teasers up till E10, and I must say the story isn't as light-hearted as TLB or even A Dream of Splendor. When I watched both, I could do so easily, this one has dark themes lurking beneath the seemingly funny/comical family and its antics.

I get the feeling that from the way they did the casting, trying to balance serious with comical was intended. Look at LBY's bodyguards, both jest and make light of things, one is chubby and jovial, this is in sharp contrast with LBY; his intentions and mannerisms are far from that. And the way the family schemes, and retaliates, and tries to pull people down, like crabs clawing at other crabs in a basket is quite, quite disturbing. [sigh, I think the too stoic comments will always come, regardless of which actor]

I think I know why the mother is the way she is; she initially felt some sympathy for the daughter when she first arrived. But then she realised that CSS is scheming and shrewd, and her behaviour is more than meets the eye, all these has raised her defenses. She can't believe she has a daughter who appears naive and innocent child but isn't, a bit like a wolf in sheep's clothing (though I admit that CSS isn't doing it for the sake of being evil, but she's become distrustful, is retaliating, and doing so for self-protection). In addition, I think to begin with, as a female general, the mother herself has got trust and authority issues, more so as the hubby's family is out to get her. Like I said, this isn't a happy family to watch.

[So, I finished all 4 episodes, and the mother said it out loud to CSS, that she tends to interpret all her daughter's behaviours in a negative light because of how she (CSS) has behaved in the past. I seriously think the problem with her mother is that she uses the same approach as she does in the army towards the daugther. It's all tough, using discipline and corporal punishment to bring her to task. But with CSS, that's not going to work, we can clearly see the way she hungers after TLC. So, I don't know when they are both going to come to their senses. I thought army generals need to use strategy to win battles/ the war....and I wonder when she realises that her approach isn't going to work. As for CSS, I wonder when she realises that she isn't going to get the kind of love she expects from her mother, but it is there, just hidden beneath layers of steel.]

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Ooh! The teaser for E12 is intense...our Wu Lei has his torso exposed, and its the scene where she removes the arrow head from his body. It's an intimate moment ..... He clearly has expressed his interest in her but I think being the highly distrusting CSS, she probably isn't opening up to him (yet). And I must say, listening to ZLS speak in the hushed tone, lacking that loud, rambunctious style that I am used to is quite erh distressing...I just can't get used to that 'weak, defenseless female tone of voice', not coming from her anyways. I'd much prefer TLB, though I know that wasn't her, it was VOed.

• Clapping Hands 2

@IpohBanana @movingwheel @Tofu I managed to catch the 1st two episode. It was not bad and I like the more serious bits with Wu Lei in it  ( ahahaha I am bias of course :laugh:) and a lot less of CSS's family troubles though they do provide the comedy. I can tell why CSS is a little cunning because that was only way for her to  survive her overly dramatic grandmother. It seems like "acting" runs in the family. LOL ...I cracked up when the father started "wailing" too in order to counter his mother's crocodile tears. 

About CSS's mother - I get that she is going for tough love here since she is trying to make up for loss time. But I don't know if this is really the best way for her to bond with her daughter whom she's not raised herself. CSS also tends to read most situations negatively or defensively because of all the bullying she's received from her relatives and the lack of parental presence growing up. When General Ling complimented her , I believe he genuinely saw that she was very clever but she thought he was indirectly criticising her.

Anyhow I hope to have more time to catch more episodes ...I am keen to have more scenes of the leads together. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@abs-oluteM I agree with you. I think LBY wasn't criticising her, but she converted everything he said into a criticism. Like mother, like daughter. And they have no idea, lol

I watched E06, which involved the stupid study table, it was heart-breaking. About the mother -  "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall"

I feel so glad that the 3rd aunt has appeared, I have liked watching her from another drama as well (was it The Sword and the Brocade?), so gentle, dignified and refined, the sort of mother-figure that CSS needs right now and a peer-like voice, the voice of reason, that can defend her in the face of her pride-fool mother. And I am equally glad that her two brothers have emerged, how they dote upon her and defend her. Had it not been for them, I think her life would be 10-fold more miserable.

I am really wondering who is her elder brother, the accomplished one that is the talk of the town and the pride of the family. [on a side note, I tried going to Baidu to see who is going to play her eldest brother but from the looks of it, the genealogy map only shows these two younger siblings, there is no evidence that the eldest will make an appearance, so he will only be referred to, but not show up.]

I've heard about the anecdotal mother who is jealous of her daughter-in-law for 'stealing' away her son. This is the first time I get to watch one in action. Adds a whole new dimension for me, such mother-in-laws, and this actress who portrays the Chen Matriach is truly fit for the role.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
8 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

his actress who portrays the Chen Matriach is truly fit for the role.

She was such a wonderful mother who was very encouraging and positive in Ordinary Greatness (I just finished that recently). Here she can drive me batty ! 

• Haha 2

I'm surprised at how much I like this because from one of the more comedic trailers I wasn't expecting much. I can't call myself a fan of either of the leads although I have liked other things they've done including The Long Ballad. Zhao Lusi is really going places these days.

I was hooked from the first episode and before I knew it, I'd completed four in rapid succession. I laughed out loud at all the "family theatre" which was a hoot. The real and the fake drama were all so beautifully done. (As they say in Chinese) Although I can see that her mother is totally guilt-stricken about abandoning her daughter into the hands of a very callous aunt, she's going about things the wrong way. She's supposed to be raising a daughter not a soldier. It's rather tragic to my mind that Niaoniao is so cynical about life already because of that lack of genuine affection in her life.

I hope we get some real kissing scenes in this show because Wu Lei is a big boy now. 

In all honesty I find this show far more addictive than A Dream of Splendor. There's really nothing I don't like. I just want to keep going with it even though there's a part of me that thinks that I should binge-watch this. It probably really doesn't matter anyway because there are so many dramas on the table right now. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma glad you are enjoying it. I was laughing so loudly that my hubby said he heard a mad woman in the room. There's a manner in which the comedy has been balanced with the seriousness of the story that is rather appealing, though I have to say the story is going a bit too slow for my liking. However with 54 episodes (? now that part 1 has reduced by one episode and possibly part 2 as well?), I suppose there's plenty of time to kill. For the first few episodes, it felt like I was watching The Sword and the Brocade, but with a touch of dark humour plus someone poking fun at gender roles (look at how timid the men are in comparison with their wives, I am at E12 already, and the story of cutting one's own ear off has me half horrified and half in awe of that woman).

This is one show where I am watching as it unfolds, feeling regretful and wishing I had waited till more episodes had been released. At the same time, I am not feeling too stressed about the waiting game as I am entertained but not so vested in their story that I am gnawing at my knuckles waiting for the next episode. Then again, this week the drama gods have been good, because it's been a daily release - I think I will start to suffer next week when there's only three days of airing per week. [sigh] I've watched the teasers till E18...and erh...what day is it today? not Tuesday yet? :cry:

I think ZLS is doing adequately well to portray a 15 year old, and I am not reminded of her other characters which means she's managed to portray herself differently in this drama. I feel bad for her that she's getting flack for her diction and her acting. I wonder how much more is expected of her? (I like hearing her own voice and she's not a seasoned voice actor, gee...that's obvious ain't it?)  As for Wu Lei, his face is rather bony and he is truly stoic (another set of criticisms aimed at him) - but is it that bad? 

@abs-oluteM I wonder when our General will confess to CSS? [I watched the trailer and there's this voice over of him saying they've shared an intimate moment when he was undressed and she treated his wounds...keh keh keh] Gee, CSS agreed to marry that timid-looking boy? Why because she wants to be alpha female in the household like she told her aunt? hahah

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@IpohBananaI haven't really felt the similarities with The Sword and the Brocade which I dropped after about 26 episodes (I think). I watched that show largely for Wallace Chung because I didn't think the show was doing anything different from the usual smart girl enters hostile household story. Princess Weiyoung was all already in the landscape. Besides I wasn't that enamoured with the leads' chemistry. On top of that I don't think Seven Tang was all that good in it. She looked stiff and uncomfortable most of the way through.

I think what distinguishes this one from the others is the birth mother-daughter dynamic. Even though her parents have returned, not a lot has changed for Niaoniao in terms of her place in the family. She's not a bad kid really and her cynicism wasn't developed overnight but as a result of watching the hypocrisies and machinations of relatives over a decade and a half. It is the Cinderella mythos rejigged to make the mother here the step-mother. There's no doubt in my mind that the mother here has complex motives here in how she parents Niaoniao. There's a strong element of guilt and she's also driven by a great deal of urgency. She's lost 15 years with her daughter and leaving her behind in the hands of Mdm Ge was something of a disaster. That's why the show spends a lot of time setting up the extended family dynamic. Mdm Ge is not by any stretch of the imagination a good role model. She didn't even treat her own daughter that well. It just so happens that Yang Yang is much more placid takes after her dad. The danger as Mum perceives it is that Mdm Ge was a terrible influence in that household and will continue to be unless she's out of their lives. Getting rid of her was a good move strategically. She is an unrepentant unremorseful materialistic schemer. Mum is genuinely worried that Niaoniao will end up like that woman -- nothing more than a selfish, conniving brat. That is I think her greatest fear. Niaoniao is already past her formative years and reaching a marriageable age. The thought that her daughter will become Mdm Ge II probably terrifies her more than anything. What if she is just a younger version of Mdm Ge and ends up causes havoc for her future in-laws? What if she turns disrespectful and manipulative of her elders? This is what's foremost on her mind. Niaoniao's intelligence is not in question here but her virtue. A child that's been left to her own devices and not given good principles to live by normally leads to all kinds of problems in adulthood. 

This isn't necessarily to say that I agree with her parenting methods only that I understand where she's coming from. She's misreading Niaoniao and she's over complicating matters. What Niaoniao lacks is not military training but a little love. When I see a child that cynical, it occurs to me that she has distinct lack of trust not of virtue. It behooves the people that neglected her to try and win back respect not try and impose their will on her by force. She already knows what's right and wrong but she's seen how the adults maneuver social norms to make things suit their own agendas. The hypocrisy and theatrics that she witnessed has made her bitter. 

From what I see in the trailers, I gather that Mum might be partial to Ling Buyi as the future husband over the other candidates. I'm with her. Whatever she thinks the answer to Niaoniao's wilfulness might be, the mother understands her daughter. Niaoniao can't just marry into any family because of her personality not just because of social norms. I certainly agree that Lou Yao is too much of a pushover and even if she is beloved by him, she will cause problems for his family.

• Like 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma when I mentioned TS&TB, I was referring to the focus on the household and its affairs, the chaos and politics among the wives in the family, though it's not about the wives of one man (in the case of the TS&TB) but all the women in the Cheng family, including that batty Matriach. I completely get where you are coming from wrt CSS' mum, though I shudder to think about what it's like to be in the daughter's shoes, often hearing praises being lauded onto someone else's daughter. As an Asian, I've had my fair share of that when I was growing up and I think most Asian children can say they've had a good dose of that form of 'medicine' before. As an adult now, and a mother myself I suppose I can understand why someone would say something like that to a child, but it doesn't mean that I laud the act. [I thank the heavens for her brothers and her gentle third aunt (plus her doting father) who help to moderate the over-zealous mother)

I am sure the drama is slowly revealing how CSS will (eventually) develop a different perspective and learn to see things from her mother's POV. In the latest episode, the mother makes a comment about CSS thinking that her life was miserable; she comments that CSS should try being in her shoes, witnessing what she did throughout 15 years of wartime. I suspect she means the death and misery that accompanies any form of war, which is then proudly presented on a platter to CSS who thinks she's on a tour of the country side only to discover that it's probably more than what she bargained for when she gladly flees her family's home. (What I find interesting about CSS is how she's not painted to be a super-heroine, you know the Jun Jiu Ling kind of character who is a know-it-all, but how she can be weak, inept in some aspects but good at others; a very human, believable portrayal. I just wish they had given us the back story of how she became good at those aspects (like a flashback of sorts).

I can't tell if Mdm General is partial to LBY from the teasers, I only know she's curious about how the two seem to be acquainted and can tell that LBY is interested in her daugher (ice-face general cares enough to escort her daughter around, gee he can't be disinterested in her right?). But she certainly knows that her daughter can't marry into a household where the womenfolk are dogmatic and expect a typical daughter-in-law, for which CSS is certainly not. Preferably she should marry into a household where the hub's parents are dead or insane or can't control the son - in which case, LBY's parents fit that to a tee. So, if that's the case, then yah, she would be partial to LBY.

Updated: Based on the novel or at least what a Ytber summarised abotu the novel, it seems that...

Spoiler

CSS and LBY will be engaged, and then this will be broken off. There is a part in the story where the Crown Prince loses his station to his third brother due to his own misconduct. And the Crown Prince's mother, the Empress is dethroned, to allow for his demotion while saving his face and maintaining harmony within the royal family. The former Empress enters the Cold Palace and CSS accompanies her. The reason that CSS is willing to do so, is she receives love and affection from the Empress and decides to be her companion during this difficult period. I also heard that LBY is sent elsewhere as punishment for something for five years, perhaps this is the period where their engagement is broken off? 

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 2

It’s not a bad watch … while it’s funny and all…I really hope I don’t go thru all the trouble for a flat ending like the one from ‘The Autumn Ballad’ after a great start off 

i laugh at the way WuLei wipe LuSi’s tears lols she was really scare as she didn’t knew that WuLei had the horse under control and thought that the horse had went mad….poor girl didn’t hear the word ‘action’ and was screaming all the way….while the director and WuLei thought she was going all out…instead she was freaking out and shouting because she had thought the horse had went mad……

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1