Kingdom 킹덤 - Season 3 + Ashin of the North [2021-2022]

“Kingdom: Ashin Of The North” Shows The Epic Scale Of The Production In Behind-The-Scenes Photos

Jul 25, 2021
by C. Hong

Netflix’s “Kingdom: Ashin of the North” shared some behind-the-scenes photos from set.

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” is an extension of the second season of the hit Netflix series “Kingdom.” It is a special episode dedicated to Ashin, a character played by Jun Ji Hyun, who was briefly seen at the end of the second season. The first two seasons were set in the kingdom of Joseon, but the spin-off is set in the frigid northern regions.

Although it is a special episode as opposed to a full season, the behind-the-scenes photos show that the production was on a large scale to accommodate the show’s historical time period as well as its new regional setting. In one photo, Jun Ji Hyun prepares for an archery action scene with the director. Her character, Ashin, carries the trauma of losing her loved ones and takes down zombies with her bow and arrow.

jun-ji-hyun-kingdom-ashin-of-the-north1.

Park Byung Eun reprises his role from the second season as Min Chi Rok, a military commander. In the photo, he is shown in full costume discussing a scene with the director in the middle of a large and elaborate set. Other actors spotted in the stills include Kim Si Ah and Kim Roe Ha, who are joining the show for the first time as a younger version of Ashin and her father.

park-byung-eun-kingdom-ashin-of-the-nort

The photos also show the scale of the props, including the boxes in which the resurrected corpses are being kept, as well as high-flying wire action to recreate a fierce zombie tiger attack.

kingdom-ashin-of-the-north-11.jpeg

Spoiler

kingdom-ashin-of-the-north1.jpeg

Kim Roe Ha said, “I remember the first filming, as well as our main set location, Burak, the best. It was the place where I realized the scale of ‘Kingdom: Ashin of the North.” Goo Gyo Hwan, who plays Aida Khan, the leader of a fierce warrior tribe that threatens the northern regions as well as the Joseon kingdom, said, “Aida Khan’s costume left a big impression on me. The staff spent a lot of time and effort on it so that I could focus on immersing myself into the role. It was a blessing for me to be able to wear those clothes and play this character.” Director Kim Sung Hoon said, “The speed and tension of the action scenes could not have been created without the hard work of the production staff.”

“Kingdom: Ashin of the North” premiered on Netflix on July 23.

cr. Soompi

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

On 7/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, mademoiselle said:

@JenL Now even the Tale of Crown Prince is not confirmed. Soompi reported this too the other day, LOL. With the introduction of Ashin, it can only mean JJH will need to be a permanent cast for S3 for the story to continue.

Noooo :shocked2:...I want as much (good) Kingdom content as I can get!

Haha, I suppose if JJH is not free they can always turn Ashin into a side character...a stepping stone to another evil person (even though they teased out the character so much that she even got her own stand alone movie :lenny:)

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

A very insightful and hilarious [English subbed!] commentary with scriptwriter KEH, PD Kim Seong Hun and Jeon Seok Ho who plays Beom Pal, which provides hints into the actual nature of the plant, its effects as well as spoilers into S3. Can't wait for the next installment!

• Like 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

So good to see a fun-filled follow-up to the commentary. Their interactions are hilarious!

Tr

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kinda (very) late to the party but I managed to watch this just now. 

@JenL did you find your answer to your question about why the people who got bitten by the tiger didn't turn into zombies? 

Sorry but gotta tag @liddi @mademoiselle I have a question:

So you know how zombies brought about by the plant wouldn't turn people they bit into zombies? We know this from season 1..so only the people who turned zombies by eating infected person could bite others and turned them into zombies.

So in Ashin, how did those soldiers turn into zombies after being bitten by her abuser who turned into zombie? Didn't Ashin turn her abuser into zombie by feeding him the plant after he's dead?  

And as usual, I did get distracted a lot when watching this so I probably missed some important scenes which can answer my question. But anyhow, my friend wasn't able to answer my question either and I can't be bothered rewatching any scene so the quickest way is to ask question here :laugh:

• Like 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@SnowBlob The rules are still true in Ashin. The zombies which are created after eating those who died of zombie attacks, will likewise turn others into zombies through their bite. These mutated zombies first came about when Youngshin fed the dead boy to the starving people. Those created via the resurrection plant e.g. the king and Ashin's dead family, will only attack and kill, but not infect their victims.

In Ashin of the North, all the soldiers were transformed one by one into zombies by Ashin after they were killed (in their beds or elsewhere) with the use of the resurrection plant. That is the only method she knew to bring them back to life as zombies. As such, none of the zombies in the camp were infectious. The very first zombie we saw was not her abuser, but merely one of the soldiers who woke up after being transformed. The subsequent zombies that overrode the camp were not infected victims, but the other soldiers who transformed and started attacking the rest. As for her abuser, she cut off his limbs but left him alive and human, to be fed to her family in the end.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@liddi Thank you!!! That solves the 'mystery' ...now I'm gonna go and brag to my friend about the answer :lmao2:  

I did think that the abuser was the one fed to her family... but my friend who tried to look answer and read some recap said that the one fed to the family was the commander and the abuser was the one she turned into zombie to attack other soldiers. 

Once again... many many thanks :taebtsthanks:

• Awesome 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@SnowBlob The abuser was still alive and well, merely tied up and hanging from the roof of the pigsty, apologising and pleading for his life, after the bloodbath of the night before so he wasn't the one who was killed after sneaking in earlier on. From the looks of it, her abuse was no longer in the hands of just one soldier. Rather, her first abuser possibly set the precedence for other fellow soldiers to follow suit. She only saved the first abuser for last, because he started it all.

Edited by liddi
  • Shocked 1

• 8 months later...

Totally did not see this coming, but I should have, as the Kingdom universe is perfect for such a genre, and I am glad that it has spawned its own video game. Meanwhile, I continue to wait (im)patiently for the next Kingdom installment...

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 1