Money Heist 종이의 집 [Current (S2)- Netflix]

Popular Spanish drama , La Casa de Papel (also known as Money Heist) premiered in 2017 on Netflix and currently has two seasons. In its 1st season , the story focused on a criminal mastermind known as "The Professor" who recruits eight people to print billions of euros in the Royal Mint of Spain. This Korean adaptation is expected to closely follow the Spanish original.  It will be set on the Korean Peninsula and will follow a genius mastermind, The Professor, who forms a team of thieves and petty criminals that boast diverse abilities and personalities to pull off a heist.

This remake will be  directed by Kim Hong-sun, known for previous works such as The Guest, Voice, and Black. Screenwriter Ryu Yong-jae and his team are in charge of the script, after working on Netflix’s My Holo Love and tvN’s Psychopath Diary. 

Source: PH Asia Tatler
Vice

Director: Kim Hong Seon

Screenwriter: Ryu Yong Jae

Episodes: 12

Airing date : TBC

Original Network: NETFLIX 

Duration: 60 min.

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprisingly, the korean remake of Money Heist is reported in the US - could be the Squid Game effect. I also seem to be watching so much of Park Hae Soo recently - from Squid Game, to Prison Playbook to Chimera. Berlin has a slippery devil may care attitude which I have yet to see from PHS so it would be interesting. Looking forward to the last instalment of the original MH on 3 Dec!!!

Variety-Logo-black-and-white.png

‘Squid Game’ Star Park Hae-Soo to Lead Korean ‘Money Heist’ Remake

By Rebecca Davis | Nov 30, 2021 4:01pm PT

Screen-Shot-2021-11-30-at-6.20.47-PM-Cro

“Squid Game” star Park Hae-soo is set to star in the Korean adaptation of the popular Spanish series “Money Heist (La Casa de Papel),” Netflix announced on Tuesday.

Park is set to play Andrés “Berlin” de Fonollosa, one of the drama’s main characters. The news of his casting hits as the original series approaches the conclusion of its five-year run on Dec. 3, and as the streamer revealed that Berlin is set to appear in an origin story spin-off scheduled for 2023.

Berlin is played by Spain’s Pedro Alonso in the original. Park is the first cast member of the Korean version to be announced.

“In the past five years, fans around the world have shown their love for the series. I hope our Korean version also receives your love and support,” said Park in a Korean video message, dressed in a dapper suit and holding one of the show’s signature heist masks. “It is an honor for me to participate in such a wonderful series and above all to make Berlin an amazing character. I’m sure the rest of the cast of the Korean version feels the same way as I do.”

He continued: “As an actor and as a fan of the series, I want to thank the cast and crew of ‘Money Heist’ for the great series they have created. We are looking forward to sharing the Korean version of Money Heist with you in 2022.”

He thanked Pedro Alonso for giving him the “famous mask” and promised to give him the one they use in the Korean version next year in return.

The news of the Korean adaptation of “Money Heist” was first unveiled last November. Series creator Alex Pina will executive produce while Kim Hong-sun (“Voice,” “The Guest”) will direct off a screenplay written by Ryu Yong-jae (“My Holo Love”).

Until the launch of “Squid Game,” “Money Heist” was Netflix’s most-watched non-English-language drama, seen by 180 million households globally.

Watch Park’s video message (with ENG subs) announcing his casting below.

Source: Variety

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

logo-nme.svg

‘Money Heist’ Korean remake: cast, plot details, release date and everything we know so far

By Surej Singh | 1st December 2021

Get ready for the South Korean take on Netflix's hit Spanish crime series

money-heist-south-korea-remake-yoo-ji-ta

Yoo Ji-Tae (left) and Lee Hyun-Woo (right), cast members of the South Korean remake of 'Money Heist'. Credits: Han Myung-Gu/WireImage, Netflix

Netflix’s immensely popular Spanish crime drama La Casa de Papel, also known as Money Heist, is getting a South Korean remake.

Announced in December 2020, the upcoming adaptation promises to breathe new life into the familiar plot of the beloved Spanish series – namely, the robbing of the royal mint and the national bank– but with a new setting in the Korean peninsula.

What is the plot of the South Korean Money Heist remake?

While specifics are not yet available, the first season of the remake is expected to follow a similar plot as the original La Casa de Papel, but set on the Korean Peninsula. So it’s likely that the series will chart an attempted heist of the South Korean mint. Each gang member in the Korean remake carries the same name as the character in the Spanish series.

In a July 22 feature interview with Dazed Korea magazine, Jun Jong-Seo (who portrays Tokyo in the upcoming remake), revealed that while each gang member in the Korean remake will carry the same name of its Spanish originator, they will all take on different personalities.

“It has the same name and completely different personality and character adaptation. The thieves robbing the bank are the main characters, but there are inevitable humanities in it,” she said.

Complete article here:

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/tv/money-heist-korean-remake-cast-release-date-trailer-plot-details-2985321

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • 1 month later...

Did you all watch the original Spanish version?

The characters are all a bit crazy and this korean cast seems to fit. With the exception of Park Hae Soo as Berlin - I only saw him in Prison Playbook and Chimera (Squid Game aside) and both times, he seems to play the character similarly - a bit slow on the uptake 😂 Whereas Berlin has a brilliant mind but is ruthless.

Of course we should not expect the remake to be the same as the original. In fact, it would be more interesting if it had its own flavour. I'm looking forward to this!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Whooooo! Came on here to see if there’s a thread for this. Been anticipating the release ever since it was announced there is gonna be a korean remake.

I loved the first 2 seasons of LCDP (before it was bought over by Netflix), and I’m hoping this remake will be able to live up to expectations. So looking forward! :pandapopcorn:

And one thing I’m noticing from the teaser just posted today is that the top billing / focus seems to be on the Professor and the female officer characters, instead of Tokyo (unlike the Spanish version). I’m not complaining though cos my fave characters from the original are Prof and Berlin😍

• Like 2
  • Party! 2

@Chocolate @im0202 Oh , I have not seen the original. I don't have plans as yet , so will be going in "blind" so to speak. I recognize  alot of the cast but my main reason for watching this is  because of my all time favourite ahjussi Yoo Ji Tae. :LaxEat:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

@abs-oluteM Sometimes it’s nice to be going in blind. So the parts that are meant to shock you will really give you a shock! Since I have the original version to compare it to, I’m crossing my fingers that I won’t be let down! Cos sometimes remakes can be err... not very good lol. So I need to temper my expectations a bit. Though the solid cast makes it hard for me to not be excited😂

btw @Chocolate you’ve seen the original? How did you find it?

Edited by im0202
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Party! 1
2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh , I have not seen the original. I don't have plans as yet , so will be going in "blind" so to speak. I recognize  alot of the cast but my main reason for watching this is  because of my all time favourite ahjussi Yoo Ji Tae. 

Agree with im0202. Not knowing the story means you will get all the thrills!

2 hours ago, im0202 said:

btw @Chocolate you’ve seen the original? How did you find it?

I loved it. I watched S1 & 2 on Netflix a year+ ago, but decided not to watch S3 thinking it would be more of the same. Recently I decided to continue. Surprisingly, it was still good, although I thought

@abs-oluteM Don't read this.

Spoiler

The professor's girlfriend is not so "useful" or interesting anymore. And that Monica irked me to high heavens! 😂

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Park Hae Soo was also in MotA, Squid Game and Legends of the Blue Sea.

Any of these characters fit his Money Heist's role?

I didn’t watch enough of Legends of the Blue Sea to catch PHS. It was a cameo in MOTA and in Squid Game, he was mostly serious and not very likeable.

Berlin is a grey character. Most of the main characters are generally “good” people beyond being robbers of the Mint. But Berlin, I could never tell whether he was good or bad. He was smart and fun-loving but can also be selfish and cruel. The Spanish actor has played him in a way that I think would be difficult for any other actor to follow. So it would be interesting to see how PHS would do this.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Agree with @Chocolate, the character Berlin seems to come across as a psycho sometimes, but he’s overall a very interesting character and does need an actor with serious acting chops.

Here from 6:30-7:00, PHS hinted that his version of Berlin might be slightly different? (Or that his portrayal might be different.)

I have only seen him in Prison Playbook and Squid Game before, and I guess I can see him playing both good/bad characters 😆

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
On 1/19/2022 at 11:36 PM, im0202 said:

Here from 6:30-7:00, PHS hinted that his version of Berlin might be slightly different? (Or that his portrayal might be different.)

That would be a good way to go. Be different.

I haven't watched anything in 2022 apart from The Silent Sea, and that was technically a 2021 drama. Money Heist would be one of the FEW dramas I will catch this year haha.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 1/25/2022 at 1:18 AM, Chocolate said:

Plot! Set in the future where NK and SK are soon to be unified. They are stealing the currency of new Korea 😆

Hahaha I guessed that it would be set in a dystopian/fictional Korea and I’m right... there’s no way they can come up with a believable storyline of money heist if they set the story in the actual country 😆

No release date yet?:/

Edited by im0202
  • Haha 3
  • 3 months later...

Didn't know he was born in 1981. First saw him as the son in coma in Flower of Evil. Thought he was late 20s lol.

kim-ji-hoon1.jpg

Kim Ji Hoon recently finished filming for the Korean remake of “Money Heist,” in which he will play the role of Denver. He commented on the experience, saying, “I spent the last 12 months focusing almost entirely on ‘Money Heist.’ That’s how important this was for me.”

He also shared what type of role catches his attention. “There has to be a relatable factor to the character, and I have to be able to portray the character in my own way. I do look at the specific role when I choose to work on a film or drama, but sometimes I just choose a project based on the overall story.”

Source

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • 2 weeks later...