Through the Darkness [Those Who Read Hearts of Evil] 악의 마음을 읽는 자들 [2022]

42 minutes ago, UnniSara said:

I was worried too @liddiwas glad he was released. 

@SilverMoonTea why do you think BKH only spent 1 year?? I thought he was in jail  for 5 years 

The case happened in 1998, on 1999 the case closed. And still in timeline 1999, SHY meet YYC and also caught the real culprit. BKH supposed to served 12 years (link 1), but he just served 1 year (link 2).  

I also verified from this korean blog. Can use google translate. 

Link 1

Link 2

20220117-200917.jpg

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

19 hours ago, peperomia said:

I am excited for this happen. It is nice to see Ha Young warm up to this new specialty over the early episodes. I like his relationship with Chief Kook. He seems at ease with him and they seem to share the same beliefs in approaching crime-solving.

Same here. I think if not for Chief Kook , no one would have discovered Ha Young's talent and intuition in solving crime this way . And thanks to Chief Kook doing him a favour, they were able to locate the finger print in the cupboard.

I am most relieved that BKH got released. It was rather unfair that he would take the fall for someone else's crime. Thanks @bluepebbles for the insights. Didn't realise about the registration numbers , only thought that it was some sort of code that Jo Kang Moo used ( and to which HY was able to decipher) .  I was actually quite confused about having two red cap killers. Now, I realise Jo Kang Moo was actually a copycat of the convict that Ha Young was talking to (Yoo Yong Chul)

One of my favourite bits about eps 2 was seeing HaYoung speak to YYC and getting his insights. Unknowingly , Ha Young has already started doing what a profiler today would do. Truly if you want to know what a criminal would do, you'll have to know what they think. It was rather out of the box and I can understand the "scorn" he got later on for doing that - people were thinking that a criminal "solved' the case . I suppose people then lacked the understanding that we have now about criminal analysis. 

@liddi I loved seeing little bits of Hayoung's personality weaved into the show - his love for sugary stuff made me laugh  and made him more human. His empathy for the victims and their families is not always so obvious because he does things quietly without fanfare. I am glad the drama didn't forget at the end to include a scene of HaYoung and BKH at the latter's stall with BKH thanking HY. It was an important emotional moment that would give HY encouragement to join the new team. 

5 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

BKH supposed to served 12 years, but he just served 1 year.  

I see. I notice they are doing some time jumps as we go along. So we get to see the cases over the years. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

4 minutes ago, JenL said:

@SilverMoonTea Oooh is this out already??? :MonkaTang: Maybe this will pull me out of my Kdrama slump! Is it good? 

Yes I like it. Like @abs-oluteMsaid, this reminded us a bit of Signal. Since you love Signal I think you'll love this too. 

Btw @Dhakrayou might consider this drama too. Just started, and 2 episodes available. I think this might fit the bill for you. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

18 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindhunter:_Inside_the_FBI's_Elite_Serial_Crime_Unit

It seems to be available on my bookstore. I probably will try to check it. I actually always have a lot of curiosity about the motive of murders, hence profiler job is very interesting to me. 

Thanks for sharing this! I was looking up the book and found out there was an American drama series based on it also named Mindhunter. It was released by Netflix and still available on there. There are 2 seasons (total of 19 episodes). I plan to check out both the book and Netflix series.

17 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Same here. I think if not for Chief Kook , no one would have discovered Ha Young's talent and intuition in solving crime this way . And thanks to Chief Kook doing him a favour, they were able to locate the finger print in the cupboard.

Very true. I like how Chief Kook has a trailblazer mindset in how he envisions crime-solving should be in Korea and he knows bringing Ha Young along that path with him can make it happen. 

16 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Yes I like it. Like @abs-oluteMsaid, this reminded us a bit of Signal. Since you love Signal I think you'll love this too. 

Signal was excellent. I am (anxiously) waiting for season 2. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

I watched up to episode two and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me Bad Guys vibes with Ha Young speaking to the criminals to get inside their mind so he can capture other criminals. 

@mademoiselle Are you going to watch this drama? Probably not since Kim Nam Gil has permed hair, hahaha! 

The permed hair is intentional :lmao2:

• Haha 7

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

On 1/22/2022 at 5:04 PM, abs-oluteM said:

This is crazy...3 weeks no new episodes :shocked:

This is the reason I hate sport lols... kidding not kidding... :cry:

Ep 3 & 4 Profiling is often seen as hocus pocus / something close to psychic job, hence the department really treated like pariah. Actually those who dismembered body not always need to have butcher as job, even just production supervisor also can do this (real life case). So I have to say it's very difficult to nail 100% accuracy. 

AND I'm so excited for next episode. HY step up his game. With suit :laugh: Wonder why the upgrade? To prevent their team from disbanded ? :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Wait...three weeks?! :shocked2:

I might skip the next two episodes then. I thought that ending for episode four was a nice way to leave things. I can't handle waiting for new episodes if episode 5/6 are suspenseful. 

@mademoiselle Ryeoun appears in episode 3 and 4, but not much screen time. When he is on screen, I'm not exactly sure what his role is. It's almost like he's an extra at this point...haha! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I am saddened to read about this new about the Hiatus. Even the American shows are on a Hiatus too. I am so upset about that too. Having to wait that long will make the audience forget about this drama too. 

I find the cops are doing a goo job not understanding the meaning of Profiling. They can't connect analyzing criminals mind as a way to fight crime. Young- Soo sees the need of profiling as a must because the criminals in Korea have evolved. They refused to believe that these criminals  are smart but unstable. Sure they find them unsatbale because their actions are horrrendous.  

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Episodes 3 and 4 were good. I was relieved the tension between the investigation and behavioral analysis teams was short-lived. It did not take long for Captain Yoon to recognize Captain Kook and Ha Young’s strengths. It was nice to see the two teams quickly work together (with no ego) and even have a meal together toward the end. In some ways, I feel Ha Young and Captain Yoon are similar in personalities. Both don’t care for the nonsense and chatter that goes on at the station. They just want to focus and fulfill their sense of duty as detectives.

I love Ha Young so much. It was a thoughtful gesture to correct motel owner that Captain Yoon is not just a miss, but the lead detective on the case. She may be a woman, but she deserved the respect as well. He doesn’t openly express it, but he treats each case with such heart and drive. You can tell how badly he wanted to catch the culprit when he placed the photo of Lee Soo Hyun in his police academy book in the page that read “Our Pledge”. It was as if he was making a promise to her that he will for her and her family. It’s a shame they didn’t find her remaining 2 fingers. Ha Young seemed regretful of that during and at the close of the case. Nevertheless, it was very kind of him to leave flowers and return her photo to her family.

Was anyone else afraid something bad was going to happen to Captain Kook when he was walking home drunk and bumped into the man who we later find out is the Daesung serial killer? I was so nervous during that scene! It’s going to be devastating when Captain Kook finds out the killer re-purposed his lost badge to lure his next victim. As the Daesung serial killer is the most wanted person by the Korean police and his behavior does not seem to fit the general behavioral categories, the next case should be good. I am not surprised Ha Young wasted no time in drawing up the investigation board!

• Clapping Hands 4
3 hours ago, peperomia said:

Was anyone else afraid something bad was going to happen to Captain Kook when he was walking home drunk and bumped into the man who we later find out is the Daesung serial killer? I was so nervous during that scene! It’s going to be devastating when Captain Kook finds out the killer re-purposed his lost badge to lure his next victim. As the Daesung serial killer is the most wanted person by the Korean police and his behavior does not seem to fit the general behavioral categories, the next case should be good. I am not surprised Ha Young wasted no time in drawing up the investigation board!

I was so scared until he dropped his Police Picture ID. I was danm!! he was so careless. That new killer he bumped into was very aggressive.  Daesung serial is very smart and I hope we get all the details for this Serial Killer. Hopefully we get to find out his back story. It would be prettty cool to know that his life was perfect but yet he still ended up killing people for no reason. 

• Like 4

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

I forgot to mention one more thing from episode 4.

Spoiler

We see Captain Yoon adopted the cat that Ha Young had fed while they were on night watch. It's another reason why I think they are similar in personalities. Both don't show much emotions on the outside, but both have kind hearts underneath it all.

I was watching some of the BTS and everyone looks like they are having fun filming the drama. Kim Nam Gil is such a lively person in real life - so opposite from his onscreen personality. LOL.

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Yet to watch eps 3 and 4 but I will catch up soon. So this weekend we still have eps 5 and 6 before the drama goes on a break

@abs-oluteM Hope you have the chance to catch up soon. The next case seems really good so I am happy to know we will get to see it this weekend before the break. 3 weeks is a long time, but this drama is worth the wait. Glad it's getting the buzz!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

So I borrowed Journey Through The Darkness, from the same author of Mindhunter and former first FBI US profiler John Douglas. So he was the first US profiler and this job was considered as some black magic / shaman's practice at first lols. They got to wait until Edgar Hoover died before profiling can be legitimated as crime solving tool. 

Some interesting points from the book

- The job is very stressful, JD himself at one point got involved in 150 cases at a time and he did fell a sick. I'm quite worried of HY, as he often not eating too. 

- The requirement to become profiler doesn't come easy, they want former field agent with experience, have strong leadership and creative also need to be able to work alone or in the group. So our HY is actually a perfect fit, since he is also a former detective. 

@peperomiaKNG is a kidult - kid adult haha... His variety show Trans Siberian Pathfinded is a pure joy to watch. I really enjoyed that show. 

• Insightful 4

Episode 5 was very informative. We was given a glimpse of the past between TTG , KBS and Song Ha Young.

Yoon Tae Goo is rather an ungrateful witch for her lack of  respect to SYH. In the past she was promoted to his collar. I kinda lsot respect for her because she seemed to agree with everyone else of SHY lack or respect of authority. In my opinion it is the fact no one likes to listen to his perspective and think he looks down on them that is not true at all. 

Supposedly Kim Bong Shik seems to  think he was betrayed by SHY but at the beginning of this the episodes we can see he is corrupt and not a good cop. He is talking to the media and leaking confidential information. He will only compormise the case in the long run.  He has  been promoted to Chief  of Special Crime Squad. He is rude and very disgusting in my eyes. Special Crime Squad has gotten a new case because the Gangnam Police are at lost to what to do. This case is special beacue SHY and his department expected him to still be in the cooling off period. It is now the Year 2003 /9/12.  

What did you guy's think of  Episode 5??? @SilverMoonTea  @peperomia

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Eps 3 and 4 were great as well. We got to see 1st hand how skeptical the police force was with regards to profiling and criminal behavioral  analysis. But yet when they couldn't solve the case of the child murder, they finally had to turn to Ha Young and team . Though they are investigating "unofficially" , it is a good start for the team and small victory of sorts.  The insights and observations that HY gave proved invaluable that lead to the capture of the murderer. 

I really like Ha Young. He is competent and compassionate. I also like his boss Captain Kook who took a demotion so he could set up this team. It is people like that who aren't here for personal glory and who are willing to do the tedious work and plodding behind the scenes, that are the true heroes. I love what Ha Young told the newbie. The work they do is not for their self-glory - what they do benefits the generations to come. 

Spoiler

We were also introduced to Captain Yoon. I can't say I like her off the bat given how clammed up and defensive she was at first. I am not sure if she and HY have had some sort of disagreement in the past ( seeing that they know each other) but clearly she was somewhat against him. But I suppose this chip on her shoulder had to do with the sort of treatment she was getting from the other cops who didn't like her because she was a female captain ( and didn't fit in - she doesn't smoke with the boys - a way they network) . However , I can see over the two episodes how she and the higher ups are beginning to see the  value in the work that HY and the team does.

Now, I am in a dilemma..shall I watch eps 5 first? LOL...can't believe no episodes after this for the next 3 weeks! Killing my momentum. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: -