Superior Shaman Ga Doo Sim 우수무당 가두심 [2021]

To be honest, I'm probably the most excited to watch the next episode of this drama. Perhaps it's that the episodes are only 20 minutes long, so it seems that every second is made to count? Despite wishing the episodes were longer, and that there were more episodes, I like the pacing thus far, and wouldn't change that.

It's also interesting to me that Kim Sae Ron, despite playing a high schooler, feels more solid and tougher here in this drama, rather than the rather ethereal, waifish look in some of her previous works (Mirror of the Witch, High School Love On). Regardless of her look, what's absolutely delightful to watch is the way she effortlessly inhabits her roles. I think I'm still waiting for her to properly graduate from teen roles.

As for Nam Da Reum, he's played the younger versions of the ML in so many dramas that I've watched, I think I almost enjoy his episodes more than the adult versions sometimes. LOL  I think he's really lovely here as WS, and I find myself cheering him on in his crush on DS.

Anyway, waiting for the next episode...

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

I'm up to date with this drama since I love it so much but I can't believe I didn't write a summary last week after watching! :lettalKWA: What was I doing? Oh right, the site that I watched this drama on released it like a day late, so I think it ended up clashing with Hometown Chachacha. Also I've been lazy lately :pandahehe: I will write a double summary :heart:

I just want to say this drama gives me FLUTTERS :wow: I love them both! They're just too cute!!!

Episode 6

-So the evil spirit is super cheesy when it's in it's smokey cloud form. BUT it is super scary when it posesses people. I was so scared for WS and the friend when they were trapped with that cleaner guy who wanted to strangle them both :lettalKWA:

-But speaking of the cleaner guy - I felt bad for him. He was possessed by the evil spirit just from being an innocent bystander and then ghosts were overwhelming him...did they kill him?! :shocked2:Though i'm going to guess no since this series is barely horror...less horror than even The Witch's Diner and Sell Your Haunted House which were spooky but not gory-evil per say. Still, I like closure, so I was left overthinking his fate :idk:

-Man WS and DS's interactions are so damn sweet :heart: I love it! It's like the perfect level of sugar that is not cheese. I like the small things like even when she's complaining about having to listen to ghost stories since she asked for their help, WS is quick to say he'll help her too. And he cared more about her feelings since her Shaman secret came out...and the smart boy used that opportunity to hug her :wow::wow::wow: But I don't blame the friend for feeling shocked at witnessing their hug. No one ever tells him anything! :laugh:

- I was kinda annoyed at the friend before but when DS listed those hards times in his history, I was thinking....ah, and this is why you should never judge something without background knowledge! :lenny:

- Whoaaaaa WS so smooooth when he says DS is all he can see with his eyes closed and that she's his future :BulbaOWO::hearties:  It's like a proprosal already! 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Throughout the episode, I was wondering what happened to Hyun Soo. He talked about finding his mom and then there was very little of him the next episode or two. He suddenly appeared and I was pleasantly surprised that they asked him to go into Il Nam's body so they can get him to the hospital on time. It was a nice twist and I loved it! 

The ending scene where Woo Soo grabbed Doo Shim's hand ( @abs-oluteM 's screenshot), was so cute. It made me smile. I look forward to these little moments in their romance.

Can next Friday come already?! :yoongibtspls:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

The ending of episode 7 was so cute!

When DS says "I had forgotten. That evil spirits were not the only ones I had to face off against." while standing in front of the principle and other adults.

Then WS comes in, and holds her hand, and DS says "I had forgotten. That I had someone on my side."

I was seriously ready to cheer. Awww. Grown up romances aren't this sweet and supportive!

Also, it occurs to me that when HS goes into IR's body to save him until IR can get to the hospital, it must either be very unpleasant for HS, or perhaps there is some uncertainty as to what might happen to HS? Anyway, it's lovely that DS thinks of it, and then promises HS to find his mother for him in exchange for helping to save IR's life.

Anyway, I echo @Tofu in saying, when will next Friday be here already?

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Haha I said I'd write double the posts the other day and then I fell asleep :laugh:

Episode 7

- Hahaha I love that WS turned out to be the little sister in the past life relationship. Personally I've always liked the idea of relationships still existing from past reincarnations, so I thought that was a cute explaination for WS and the friend's strange friendship :heiboi:

- Oh damn, I knew it was a matter of time before WS's parents would be unhappy. I can't believe the mum slapped DS's mum though! I also thought it was weird that DS and her mum didn't stop the friend from leaving the house, but it's not like they could force him to lockdown there when he also had to go home and see his mum, I guess :idk:

- Haha, aw, DS choose WS over her own mother :laugh:

- The evil spirit was so freaky when it possessed the friend!!! :lettalKWA: I was stressed when he fell too! Not only because I thought the friend was dead but also because I was like come on, DS and WS, call an ambulance! Not that they would come fast enough, but that was my first instinct :laugh: But then when the friend (possessed by the other ghost HS) went to the hospital, I was frustrated by the doctor's response of checking his eyes when it was clear we was bleeding from the back of his head! :shocked2:

- I just rewatched the hand-holding scene and oh my god, it's such a sweet scene!!! I love the way he just strolled in and put his hand in hers without any kind of hesitation, as a show of support :BulbaOWO::hearties: And it wasn't that cheesy, showy kind of display when they declare their love  to everyone without thinking of the consequences - it was hidden away from view. Like a secret kind of moral support, that he has her back no matter what :heart::heart::heart:

Even though it's only 20 mins, I look forward to this series that most each week! :wow:

Wow, even though only 20 mins, I still manage to write a whole book per episode :laugh:

On 8/29/2021 at 6:23 AM, Tofu said:

I'll just leave this here for everyone because these two are just adorable! :wow:

On 8/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, mademoiselle said:

@Tofu Love that gif! Your giffing skills is up another level - combining 3 separate frames into 1! :1000:

On 8/29/2021 at 6:01 PM, stroppyse said:

Very nice! And definitely adorable. Watching them makes me happy, in ways that watching other things doesn't. Thank you for the gif!

@Tofu I agree with everyone your gifs are incredible! :heart: You always make such becuatiful things and capture all the pretty moments

On 8/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, mademoiselle said:

I feel you completely. I can spend more than one hour just doing 1 gif. I feel so unproductive. It's tiresome and I am never satisfied with the colours/brightness etc and always find other people's better than mine. 

Oh @mademoiselle I totally relate. Everytime I try to make anything I stare at the other fan gifs and fanart I've seen and I'm like...how do you guys make art...while mine looks barely passable :laugh:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, stroppyse said:

Perhaps it's that the episodes are only 20 minutes long, so it seems that every second is made to count? Despite wishing the episodes were longer, and that there were more episodes, I like the pacing thus far, and wouldn't change that.

That's the one thing I do have to say is the strong point about most short dramas I've seen. I find a lot of my favourite dramas are in the 10-13 episode range (and lately, on the shorter side as well) because the pace keeps better at this range. Because of the limited time frame, the dramas tend not to drag and have stronger story-telling as well as no filler episodes. With that said, because they're good, you wish the drama was longer because it doesn't feel like enough and you could do with more fleshing out of the characters etc! What a paradox, huh? :idk:

On 9/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, stroppyse said:

As for Nam Da Reum, he's played the younger versions of the ML in so many dramas that I've watched, I think I almost enjoy his episodes more than the adult versions sometimes.

Hahaha in a way, I think Kim Seon Ho kind of owes NDR thanks for doing such a good job with his character's tragic teen story in Start Up :laugh: - I've read a lot of comments by people who had strong SL syndrome for his character in that drama and they always reference the first episode and the character's tragic childhood....For those who didn't watch Start Up  Kim Seon Ho wasn't in the fiirst episode at all and his character was played by NDR for the whole episode as it looked at his character's childhood story. So I think people's love for the second lead is actually for both NDR and KSH :idk:

(Btw Kim Seon Ho is a terrific actor and totally charming in his own right. It's just that I think NDR contributed to the overall emotions people felt for the character that propelled KSH to god level fan worship :laugh:)

On 9/4/2021 at 1:38 AM, abs-oluteM said:

My heart at the end of eps 7. Wahhhh this is how you do it. 
Love how they are both going to make sure they catch the demon , and I am so glad that he is going to take on the consequences alongside her! 

The way he slipped his hand into hers was so solid and supportive  :BulbaOWO::hearties::heart:

On 9/4/2021 at 2:59 AM, Tofu said:

Throughout the episode, I was wondering what happened to Hyun Soo. He talked about finding his mom and then there was very little of him the next episode or two.

Hahaha, I was wondering if he felt used! All that time DS was like, meh, whatever...but then she used the mum card as leverage...she's a good negotiator  :laugh:

On 9/4/2021 at 7:34 AM, stroppyse said:

I was seriously ready to cheer. Awww. Grown up romances aren't this sweet and supportive!

I totally agree. I like how healthy and supportive and cute this pair is! :wow:

Also now we know why Keds was mentioned in the drama...KSR is the Keds model/ ambassador at the moment judging from her instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTUpwJpPSxU/

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 9/5/2021 at 1:56 AM, JenL said:

Hahaha in a way, I think Kim Seon Ho kind of owes NDR thanks for doing such a good job with his character's tragic teen story in Start Up :laugh: - I've read a lot of comments by people who had strong SL syndrome for his character in that drama and they always reference the first episode and the character's tragic childhood....For those who didn't watch Start Up  Kim Seon Ho wasn't in the fiirst episode at all and his character was played by NDR for the whole episode as it looked at his character's childhood story. So I think people's love for the second lead is actually for both NDR and KSH 

I totally know what you mean about a strong childhood performance contributing to a sympathetic view for a character. NDR has done it so well as the younger version of so many lead characters. Heck, I still remember NDR from Pinocchio where he played the younger version of LJS' character.

There are times when the child's part is so good, that it makes me wish that their parts would be longer versus going on to the adult's story. :laugh:

There are a number of actors and actresses who came up this way, and I'm happy to see that they are doing fine in adult roles, though some have fallen by the way side as well.

Btw, I appreciate that the shorter run time and episode count is leading to a tighter story, but it can't be helped that I wish we could see just a little bit more, maybe 10 min per episode? :thinking:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
On 9/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, stroppyse said:

I totally know what you mean about a strong childhood performance contributing to a sympathetic view for a character. NDR has done it so well as the younger version of so many lead characters.

Yeah, he's played the littler version of so many great actors that it almost feels like a snub if he hasn't played the younger version of you and you're an actor :laugh:

On 9/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, stroppyse said:

There are times when the child's part is so good, that it makes me wish that their parts would be longer versus going on to the adult's story. :laugh:

Oh this happens a lot. There are some seriously charming child actors out there. My last favourite was the actress who played Hae In from Racket Boys. She was such a funny and sweet kid - I love her interactions with all her Oppas :heart:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episode 8 had less cute, but much more plot development in terms of what's going on with the evil spirit. And, it still had some of the cute.

So, the main points are that Hyun Soo has taken and hidden Il Ram somewhere, and DS had asked HS to do so, but not to tell her where so that if she becomes inhabited by the evil spirit, her mind can't be read. Ae Kyung, a girl who has bullied DS, thinks that she'll become the next last place student and thinks of committing suicide but is deterred by DS who causes the drawings of her dead friends to speak to AK to dissuade her from it. The friends had already died. DS' mother is freaked out by the presence of spirits at the school and tells DS to transfer schools immediately, telling her that in addition to the evil spirit, that there are lots of other spirits under the school. This leans DS to check it out to end the episode.

And, here is a translation of the preview for ep 9, though I don't have the video for it to post along with it.

Preview ep 9 translation:

DS: The last place kids, I think these are all the kids who have died at this school.
WS: So the evil spirit is keeping their souls chained up? Why?
Ae Kyung: I’m really not going to die, right? Answer me! I’m really not dying, right?!
HS: I know who it is! It’s your principal!
DS: This was all…the principal’s doing.
WS: Do you have any evidence that it was the principal’s doing? Who is going to believe us? They’ll believe the adult, and it’s an adult that we’re going up against.
DS: I’m not going to run away. I’m going to make him confess to killing my grandmother no matter what I have to do.

The scenes I love the best are the ones where DS and WS are just talking by themselves, and it's the same here. The convo that they have as they're walking away from having convinced Ae Kyung not to kill herself was adorable despite the subject matter. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Okay, here is a translation of my favorite scene from ep 8. This conversation starts at 12:34 of the episode. WS and DS had just convinced AK not to do anything drastic, and WS had said that he and DS would make sure that no one else dies from their high school to AK. Afterwards, as WS and DS are walking away from the incident, they have this conversation.

DS: So no one else is going to die from our high school? Are you confident you can deliver on those words?
WS: I can’t do it by myself.
DS: But you were acting so confident all by yourself.
WS: Are you confident of doing it without me?
DS: Yea, I can do it by myself. (starts to walk, but is stopped by WS)
WS: What do you mean by that? Are you worried that I might get hurt?
DS: That I might get hurt. With you involved, I have to fight the school and I have to fight your parents, too, when it’s hard enough just fighting the evil spirit.
WS: If I’ve developed this ability, don’t you think that there might be a reason for it? I’ve only just started this game, so I’m fumbling around. However, if I’m helped by you who are familiar with this game, then I’ll get used to it quickly. And then, there will probably be ways for me to be helpful, won’t there?
DS: This isn’t a game.
WS: I’ve decided to think of it as a game. Is it possible to think that 18 year olds should fight an evil spirit and save their friends in reality? I want to be an expert at this game.
(DS smiles a bit, WS smiles back and then starts running, probably a bit embarrassed by what he’s just said. LOL. Cute!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Woo Soo is so adorable! I love how he advocated for Doo Shim in the meeting with the principal and whoever that other guy was -- did anyone thought it was strange that they were having all of these conversations with her without her mom present? :thinking:

Thanks for summarizing that part when they talked about Il Nam's spirit ! I was really confused about it when I was watching because the subtitles said that she "evacuated" his spirit. Good to know that they've kept his spirit hidden so the evil spirit doesn't try to take it. 

I'm really curious to know why the evil spirit only targets students who score the lowest and what kind of plan they have for all the students' spirits they've taken. 

I can't believe there's only four episodes left after today. :cry:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm really curious to know why the evil spirit only targets students who score the lowest and what kind of plan they have for all the students' spirits they've taken. 

I was actually surprised by this since I had thought that the evil spirit was feeding on the students' souls. The principal even referred to letting the evil spirit out so that he could "feed". 

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode, even though that means we will be 1 episode closer to the end.

WS is adorable, agree with you that I loved how he stood up for DS and then declared that he was right there with her for all of it, so if they want expel her then they have to expel him as well. WS and DS are just too adorable.

Also, I wonder about DS getting such low marks on her exams. At her old school, she used to be the top student, so I wonder if this is foreshadowing or a red herring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Tofu @stroppyse Not an expert in spiritual stuff but a manga I've read had an evil spirit in the form of black hair living in the forest. This evil spirit's energy comes from all the spirits of the villagers he "fed" on. The more it feeds on, the more powerful it gets. When it was finally killed, these villagers' spirits were freed. Therefore I'm thinking this school's evil spirit works similarly to the manga's. Doo Shim seems to be possessed at the end - which is what the manga's evil did - it can affects people's mood and it engulfed the protagonist at one point and tried to use his trauma against him.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

@mademoiselle Ahh, I see. It some ways that's where he's storing the source of his power. I thought that the ending was Woo Soo's dream, but now that I think about it, Doo Shim could have been possessed. Doo Shim and Woo Soo are connected so he probably sense that something happened to her. 

@stroppyse That surprised me too about her test result. Because it was from the principal, a part of me does not want to believe it either. Haha!

• Like 4

Ooo good thing I read what you all said about Doo Sim being possessed. For a moment at the end of eps 8 - I thought she was dead ...which of course makes no sense. LOL!  Anyhow , I agree with WS -  there's a reason he has this gift and he is meant to help DS capture the demon.

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Episode 8

- I agree with @stroppyse - ths episode was focused on the action and ghosts more than the heart flutters, but it still had those soft moments between the two leads because any time they talk, there's something magical about those interactions :heart:

- I agree with @Tofu too - I liked how much WS stood up for DS when they were in the principal's office and everyone was trying to push the blame onto her, but he really stood his ground on him being equally 'to blame' if she was to be blamed for what happened  :wow:

- Also agree with everyone about their cute little chats on the school grounds...talk about healthy supportive potential boyfriends. WS is always so caring towards DS - I liked when he said that even though he's the one with good grades, she's the smart one... :BulbaOWO:

- Wow, so the evil spirit trapped the spirits of the dead students under the school - I also thought they were being 'eaten' or something. But maybe they are like batteries - the spirit recharges on them or something. This drama isn't scary, but the concept of evil spirits seems so sinister...like having the students take their own lives and even in death, keeping them trapped. This might make for some angry/ scared spirits. No wonder DS's mum was so freaked out by the evil in the school :lettalKWA:

- It's really cool that DS somehow made the comic characters talk to the  bully girl so that she wouldn't take her life...but so mysterious...I wonder what the limits of her shaman powers are. I did think the bully girl's reaction to dying was a bit strange though - like I'll be bottom of my class, which means I'll die, so I may as well do it sooner? Huh? :thinking:

- WS has this playful, empathetic personality that I really like - He seems to understand DS well and is always hopeful that she likes him too. And even though he was scared of ghosts at first, he's really taken on his new persona. Haha, I like when he asked if she didn't want him fighting along side because she was worried about him :laugh:

- @abs-oluteM I aso thought DS had died when I saw the ending...though 1. that wouldn't make sense and 2. it was ruined by the trailer showing her running in the next episode, so all is well!  :laugh:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1