Thirty Nine 서른 아홉 [2022]

Stills for eps 1

From what I understand, MiJo grew up in an orphanage till she got adopted. But she still goes back to spend time with the kids.  And by chance when the ladies were there , Seon Woo visits the place too.

Spoiler

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202202160837350310

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Bahahah the title of this article is so cheeky :laugh:

Hyunbin will be jealous... Son Ye-jin "Romance with Yeon Woo-jin, I feel vicariously satisfied throughout the filming"

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/tv-drama/article/2022021677804

On this day, Son Ye-jin said, "It's been a long time since I've been to an official event, so I'm nervous, and I haven't seen the other actors in a long time. Watching the highlight video made me cry. It's a strange feeling."

She also expressed her feelings about the news of her marriage to Hyun Bin in March. When asked about her feelings about marriage, Son Ye-jin asked MC Park Seul-gi, "How do you feel about getting married?" When Park Seul-gi said, "I like it," Son Ye-jin said, "I hope so too. As an actor and personally, I think it's fate that something so big will happen in the early days of 2022. I've received so many congratulations that I want to take this opportunity to say thank you."

Son Ye-jin takes on the role of Cha Mi-jo, the director of Gangnam Dermatology Clinic and the leader of three friends. Cha Mi-jo, who grew up in a prosperous home environment with a loving family, has an upright belief that does not compromise with injustice, and has the wise ability to express his opinions while being considerate of others. 

Son Ye-jin said, "The script was so much fun. I read it in an instant, and the lines were so much fun. If I'm not of this  age, I won't be able to do this kind of work as an actress - I have a conscience.  And the love story resonated with me a lot. It makes me wonder if the writer has a CCTV installed in my house. I like golf, but Cha Mi-jo is also crazy about golf.”

Son Ye-jin returned to JTBC after 4 years of 'Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food'.  'Pretty Noona who buys me food' was my first JTBC work, and I have good memories because it was loved so much. I hope 'Thirty Nine' will receive more love. " When asked about her first impressions and working with Jeon Mi-do and Kim Ji-hyun, Son Ye-jin said, "I didn't need to make any special effort to become close. They are all actors who are good at acting, so they are already characters themselves. It was the first time I experienced breathing naturally even if I didn't have work hard to match something."

She continued, "My first impression of Jeon Mi-do is that she is so cute that I want to bite her" 

'Thirty-nine' Yeon Woo-jin, Son Ye-jin./Photo Credit=JTBC

Yeon Woo-jin takes on the role of Kim Seon-woo, a 39-year-old dermatologist who is the same age as Cha Mi-jo. Kim Seon-woo is a person who knows how to enjoy simple things and enjoy small happiness even though he grew up affluent under his father, who was a member of the National Assembly. Yeon Woo-jin, who introduced the character as "a romantic who loves Cha Mi-jo," said, "He has a romantic heart, but his expressions are a bit crude and rustic.  He expresses various things to show  love & to comfort and soothe Cha Mi-jo, whose heart is pure and beautiful. "I can't do this (in real life) ," he said. "I acted with the desire to half resemble Kim Seon-woo's life. Through this drama, there is a scene in which I decided to personally borrow and plagiarize various events I did to Cha Mi-jo later." Son Ye-jin said, "Kim Seon-wo's character is so perfect that I wonder if there is such a man in the world. He understands everything, takes care of him, closes his eyes, and is a fantasy man. I felt vicarious satisfaction throughout the filming." In response, Park Seul-gi made her laugh by referring to her Hyun Bin, saying, "Aren't you feeling satisfied with reality?" :laugh:

BF.28949379.1.jpg

Jeon Mi-do takes on the role of Jeong Chan-young, an acting teacher who has an attractive free spirit. Jeon Mi-do said, "I actually did it when she was 39 when I auditioned for 'The Life of Despair'. So she also met this 'Thirty-Nine'," she said. (as in she understood what it was like 1st hand to be 39)

When asked what kind of effort did Jeon Mi-do do to differentiate her character from the one in Hospital Playlist , Jeon Mi-do said, "I think it will be received differently if I work hard to portray Chan-young rather than thinking that she should act differently because it is written in the opposite way from the previous character I did," she said.  Lee Moo Saeng takes on the role of Kim Jin-seok, the representative of Champ Entertainment, who has a calm and serious personality. Lee Moo-saeng further introduces his character , "He is the person who fell in love with Jung Chan-young, whom she met through Cha Mi-jo, at first sight." In this work, Jeon Mi-do will show her acting as a limited-time character. When asked about her romance with Lee Moo-saeng, she said, "It's heartbreaking, it's silly, it's resentful, and it's a relationship that's hard to define in one word. I want you to watch it," she said.

'Thirty-nine' Lee Tae-hwan, Kim Ji-hyun./Photo Credit=JTBC

Jang Joo-hee, played by Kim Ji-hyun, is a cosmetics manager at a department store, the most timid out of the three friends and a single mother. Lee Tae-hwan takes on the role of Park Hyeon-jun, a 35-year-old man who is the owner and chef of Chinatown, who opened a fusion Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood where Jang Joo-hee lives. Kim Ji-hyun described her romance with Lee Tae-hwan as "mild taste."

Jeon Mi-do and Kim Ji-hyun are actually friends for over 10 years. Jeon Mi-do said, "There were times when I participated in a work with the same role. The two of us have been fans of Son Ye-jin for a long time. There were many aspects that I lacked in drama than Son Ye-jin, but whenever that happened, I asked them to teach me a lot by saying 'Son Pro' and 'Son Son', "she said. Kim Ji-hyun said, "It felt unrealistic that Son Ye-jin and I were acting together. It was so beautiful. I didn't know she was such a fun person while filming. There were a lot of naughty faces." Lee Moo-saeng also praised, saying, "Se has a personality and manners that are as good as her face."

Regarding the title of the drama, director Kim Sang-ho said, "I think the age of thirty-nine is an age full of tension with imminent danger. It seems too early to achieve something, and it is too late to start something new." I tried to show you how to get through the inflection point of life through the show."

Son Ye-jin said, "When I became an actress in my twenties, I never thought I would turn forty. I have never imagined life after forty, but I am now over forty." "I'm starting to think that age doesn't matter. It  I hope that everyone will live each day without being attached to numbers."

• Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

First EP was interesting!

Son Ye Jin + Jeon Mi Do = √√√

Acting is very great!

am not quite familiar with the 3rd 39er but her acting is good as well.

out of all 2022 kdramas,this is the one which I was very looking forward to since last year. I hope it doesnt disappoint. so far, ep 1 delivered! yey

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

13 hours ago, -StrongTower- said:

out of all 2022 kdramas,this is the one which I was very looking forward to since last year. I hope it doesnt disappoint. so far, ep 1 delivered! yey

Agreed ! Overall I  had a great time watching the 1st episode and the pacing was quite fast since they introduced most of the characters and established all the romances .

For one the writer makes it clear that the death for one of the characters in imminent - so there's no speculation or surprises at the end. I do think the show is headed for the "healing" sort of route - by letting on early that it isn't going to be a happy Disney type conclusion, the viewers (like the characters) get to grieve, accept, heal & move on by the end of the show.

Wah  things moved as quickly for MiJo & Seon Woo. But TBH when you hit that age, I personally don't see the need to be coy ! :smug: SW feels like a dream - but I am okay with that. I don't want to be cynical to say that there are no men like that since I know a few around me IRL. In spite of the attraction both ways it seems that MiJo has drawn the line given that she doesn't want any lingering feelings before she leaves for the US. Look forward to how things will change now that SW is the person taking over her clinic.

The more surprising one for me was Chan Young - Jin Seok. I am not sure if it was because I had not gotten the hints from the trailer but I didn't expect him to be married. Is it an affair? Not a physical one but perhaps an emotional one - hard to  define. The attachment there is strong and they do spend a lot time with each other but he hasn't crossed the line but yet his heart is with her. I can understand MiJo feeling angry at both because it is an unhealthy toxic relationship. I feel bad for CY in some ways because sometimes decisions made in our youth cannot be undone & you can only live with regret. Missed chances , poor timing .  I know people say Jin Seok is a jerk for stringing her along but Chan Young is a willing participant. I don't think JS would divorce his wife for her (guy wants his cake & eat it too).CY will have to come to her senses & let him go.

If there's anything I didn't like as much about this show would be that some of the lines were a little cliche / cringy especially the one of MiJo and her sis. I have a slight concern when they try to tell you too many things instead of showing you . This was my issue with Hometown Cha Cha Cha. But that said , it is not a deal breaker & I do look forward to eps 2

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

So eps 2 finally reveals which friend died. Not that it was a surprise to any viewer who had paid attention to the trailers & teasers - it was clear that CY's character was set up for a pretty tragic arc. My one complain about this was that MiJo finds out from her doctor friend who did the health screening for all 3 of them which goes against patient - doc confidentiality. Even if this is a drama, writer need to be less lazy with these details isn't it.  I am not sure at this moment if I can feel any strong sympathy or emotions for her passing as CY isn't exactly a character I would find myself rooting for. Her  life seems to be one of missed chances and opportunities. In some ways like MiJo, I would like to  blame Jin Seok but it is really CY's poor choice for clinging on to a man who could never love her back. What a cursed entangled relationship. Even her work is linked to him !

What was particularly surprising for me was how quickly the romance between MiJo & Seon Woo is being developed. I wasn't expecting oppa YWJ to have as much screen time as he does , and heck I am not complaining ( though on the bird app , there are some bitter comments about why this is so centered on the romance instead of the friendship :poliWeird: ) . I get the urgency to do so since at this point MiJo was planning to go on her sabbatical & of course  "fate" presents plenty of opportunities for their interactions. This drunkard confession was pretty cute

Spoiler

Seon Woo is such sweetheart and feels rather unreal. I keep wondering if there's some deep dark secret he is harboring. LOL. What I do like is that he's rather honest & upfront about his feelings, and it was nice to see them talk about his sister. Like SW, I too am wondering  why the sister decided to remove herself from the family. Anyhow, this gives SW a legitimate reason to return to SK. 

So here comes some objective criticism on my part. There are still some cringey lines here and there but I think it is more toned down than eps 1. This writer has so many dramas & movies under her belt but I don't get why she can't be a bit more original. I also didn't like how they ended eps 2. As much as I love SW, I don't think that ending (where MiJo berates JS and herself for CY's condition) should have been turned into a moment where MJ gets this epiphany about how SW is meant for her. It really should have been about her & CY's friendship. In this respect , I understand some of the complaints out there about the writing here. 

• Clapping Hands 2

I've watched ep 1 and part of ep 2 (fell asleep midway lol, but will re-watch later) so... disclaimer first. This is not a genre I like, but for BinJin, I'd do anything. Even watch this 😭

img.gif

Source: silvertrhee

Got to say, always thought I was an objective person and could easily separate professional and personal life. But this scene was a surprisingly hard watch 😬 Maybe because it happened so early - episode 1! - and I'm not feeling any chemistry between them (yet). In fact, every scene they were together was awkward, the dialogue boring. I'm not liking the writer very much.

Aside - "Would you like to come see the peonies?" "You're saying that you want to sleep with me, right?" - apparently some florist was suddenly getting a lot of orders for peonies and was wondering why 😂 but it seems they only bloom in spring so the poor guy will have to buy them another day 🤣

Quick thoughts on ep 1:

- The friendship is cute. You're right @abs-oluteM, there's got to be more focus on that. It's also surprising that there were a few scenes where Mi Jo and Chan Young had in-depth conversations and Joo Hee was not there. Does Kim Ji Hyun have a lesser role 🤔

img.gif

Source: silvertrhee

- This is my first time watching Jeon Mi Do and she's good! Very natural. This scene was heartbreaking. I could see it coming a mile away (and that's the writer's unoriginality showing) and yet I still felt so sad for her. But this is a doomed relationship. He has a child and she herself knows it is unreasonable to ask him to leave his family now. So she asks him will he divorce when they are 50, 60. If he loved her, he would. But he didn't answer her, so she should move on. This couple is quite interesting to watch.

img.gifimg.gif

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Aiyoooo @Chocolate Don't torture yourself watching the BTS. It won't be easy. 

19 hours ago, Chocolate said:

This couple is quite interesting to watch.

True ... I am curious what happens now that he finds out about her condition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Poor SYJ, under the scrutiny of binjin shippers... We should be glad this drama is unlike Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food. I heard the making out scenes there were more intense than here. 

Hahaha it's true. SITR had many romantic scenes. And they were sweet together too. We know that Hyun Bin watched the drama so the joke is he must have been wishing himself in that role 😂 There are even fanfics on it lol.

But in reality, this drama is a good test of fan reactions. So far, it seems everyone is taking is quite well. Most like 39 and Kim Seon Woo too. The flipside is people are warning in advance to treat Hyun Bin the same when he is next in a romantic work (he can't do action all the time right).

Are you watching?

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2