Melancholia 멜랑꼴리아 [2021]

Melancholia

멜랑꼴리아

v17yD_3f.jpg

Broadcast station: tvN

Schedule: November 3 - December 23, 2021 / Wednesday - Thursday / 22:30 (KST)

About the Show:  Set at a corrupt private high school with preferential treatment, “Melancholia” will tell the beautiful story of a math teacher and a genius math student.

Ji Yoon Soo is a high school math teacher who appears good-natured on the outside but gets very tenacious and stubborn once she makes up her mind about something. Extremely passionate about math, she is a teacher who encourages her students to find their own answers.

Math genius Baek Seung Yoo is a guy of few words who is a voluntary outsider and enjoys taking photos with a DSLR camera. Although ranked last place at his high school, he actually dominated math Olympiads when he was younger, entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at age 10, and dropped out at age 12. (source: mydramalist)

Spoiler

A sexual scandal between a math teacher and a student in a prestigious high school ended in tragedy. 4 years later they meet again, now as adults, to reveal the corruption in school and to regain one's reputation as a teacher.

Ji Yoon Soo is a high school math teacher with a bright smile and a positive impression of others. She is a hard-nosed and stubborn person who has to push ahead with the decisions she has made. She is a math geek who loves solving difficult problems and teaches students to purely love math.

Baek Seung Yoo is emotionless and has no light in his eyes. He used to be a math genius who appeared on a quiz program at the age of five and surprised the world by solving college-level math problems. He was admitted to MIT at the age of 10 but dropped out at the age of 12, and suddenly disappeared.

Genre: Corruption, School, Drama

• Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

BASIC INFORMATION

Production: -

Episodes: 16

Director: Kim Sang Hyub (Extraordinary You, True Beauty)
Screenwriter: Kim Ji Woon (Hyde-Jekyll and Me, Doctor John)

Official Website: http://program.tving.com/tvn/melancholia/2/Contents/Html

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Main Cast

Lee Do Hyun  >>  Baek Seung Yoo

Im Soo Jung  >>  Ji Yoon Soo

Supporting Cast

Choi Dae Hoon  >>  Ryu Sung Jae (Yoon Soo's fiance)

Jin Kyung  >>  Noh Jung Ah

Jang Hyun Sung  >>  Sung Min Joon

Byun Jung Soo  >>  Yoo Hye Mi

Kim Ho Jin  >>  Baek Min Shik (Seung Yoo's father)

Baek Ji Won  >>  Min Hee Seung (Seung Yoo's mother)

Oh Hye Won  >>  Noh Yeon Woo 

Lee Sang Jin  >>  Park Hyung Do

OFFICIAL TRAILER

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

We have first look of their character styles!

Another Noona pairing got me wondering between Kim Ha Neul and Im Soo Jung, which one is older. Coz if Do Hyun can pair well with Kim Ha Neul then if Soo Jung is younger, he'll definitely be able to too.

The result is Soo Jung is a year younger than Ha Neul. Haha.

• Haha 4
5 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Coz if Do Hyun can pair well with Kim Ha Neul then if Soo Jung is younger, he'll definitely be able to too.

The result is Soo Jung is a year younger than Ha Neul. Haha.

This boy is going places with his noonas... :laugh: but I think I will still love his pairing with Go Min Si the most...

• Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I have trouble adapting to that pairing coz I'm conditioned to see them as siblings coz of Sweet Home. Have you seen this?

Yes, and yes I had a little trouble at first, but good thing is in Sweet Home, they don't have a lot of screen time together, and their performance in Youth of May were so good that I fully bought the romance.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

4 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I have no issues for LDH doing noona romance since we know he has the soul of an old man! 

Im Soo Jung doesn't look her age though. She looks much younger to me when compared with Kim Ha Neul... 

But anyway, I think he'll be a high-schooler here because one of the tags for this drama is "scandal" ~ yes it's gonna be scandalous! :pandaheadstomp:

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama Will he be a high-schooler ? I think cannot be right , it will be scandalous. :OOF:. I have no issues for LDH doing noona romance since we know he has the soul of an old man! 

Think the premise is they met when he's 18 (Korean age) and then meet again 4 years later...and the story continued from there.

From dramabeans:

t’s possible that talented rookie actor Lee Do-hyun (Beyond Evil, Sweet Home) will be pairing up with veteran actress Im Soo-jung (Search Query: WWW) in an upcoming drama project called Melancholia. It’s about a teacher and a student that are caught up in an illicit love affair and create a scandal at a prestigious private high school.

Lee Do-hyun has been offered the part of Bae Seung-yoo, a student who is so apathetic and uncommunicative to the point where others misunderstand him to have a language disability. He’s a regular loner who prefers silently taking DSLR pictures over playing with his smartphone camera.

He’s also a math prodigy that was solving complicated problems on a national quiz show at age 5, beating Korean Ivy League college students. He entered MIT at their invitation at age 10, but he dropped out at age 12 and cleaned up his trail so no one could find him afterwards.

If she confirms, Im Soo-jung will be playing the part of Bae Seung-yoo’s math teacher, Ji Yoon-soo. Despite her refreshing smile and warm appearance, she’s a strong character that firmly pursues things that she’s set her mind on. She gets dragged into the scandal when she encounters her former student, four years after their first meeting when he was eighteen.

• Insightful 3

@ktcjdrama @mademoiselle ....so summary ...they had some affair/ fling  when he was 18 ( considered as under age in SK for sex right ? ) and then meet again 4 years later ( not that old either - he's just 22 !) . "Nevertheless" seems mild now in terms of story line! :Ghastlel:

• Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

If I was ok with Jun being a high schooler when he met La La in DDSSLLS, I think this will be ok for me if their romance doesn't start until after he's done with high school. If the romance start while he's in high school and she is his teacher, I might have to pass. :laugh:

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, Tofu said:

If I was ok with Jun being a high schooler when he met La La in DDSSLLS, I think this will be ok for me if their romance doesn't start until after he's done with high school. If the romance start while he's in high school and she is his teacher, I might have to pass.

Haha no you can't coz Jun was still a high schooler when he and Lala fell in love and their romance started before he graduated.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Haha no you can't coz Jun was still a high schooler when he and Lala fell in love and their romance started before he graduated.

But Lala wasn't his teacher! Haha! 

High Schooler + Older Non-Teacher = Kind of OK

High Schooler + Former Teacher = Kind of OK

High Schooler + Current Teacher = NO! :pandacop:

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone's studying hard... :laugh:

Lee Do Hyun Reveals He is Currently Learning Mathematics for His Role in ‘Melancholia’ 

BY Shai Collins Jul 23, 2021 03:45 AM EDT

Actor Lee Do Hyun recently sat for an interview with JTBC and took the time to answer some of the questions regarding his current activities.

Four years after he debuted as an actor, Lee Do Hyun successfully saw the fruit of his hard work when he won the Best New Actor Award at the 57th Baeksang Arts Awards in the TV Category.

Lee Do Hyun Shares His Triumphant Experience of Winning the Best New Actor Award

To start with, the interviewer asked what Lee Do Hyun felt when he heard his name being called as the winner, the "Youth of May" star answered, "Other candidates who were also in the same category have also shown great performances. I couldn't imagine it until they already called my name. I was flustered and confused. All the seniors and the director that I admire were there, and it was an honor to receive appreciation in such a memorable place."

Lee Do Hyun
(Photo : Lee Do Hyun Official Instagram)

The "Sweet Home" actor shared that there's nothing changed about him ever since he got the Baeksang Award. He tries to go with the flow instead of trying to change himself. Lee Do Hyun humbly celebrates his success and doesn't want to brag about it. He confessed that he might not show it, but Lee Do Hyun is genuinely happy inside for receiving the award.

Youth of May Star Reveals that He is Busy Learning Math in Preparation for His New Drama Role

Meanwhile, after the success of his previous drama "Youth of May" along with actress Go Min Si. Lee Do Hyun is already booked with a new project. He is confirmed to star in the series "Melancholia," where he will be working with actors Im Joo Sung, Jin Kyung, Choi Dae Hoon, Jang Hyun Sung, Byung Jung Soo, Kim Ho Jin, Baek Ji Won, and Woo Da Bi.

Lee Do Hyun
(Photo : Lee Do Hyun's Instagram)

Since the story of the drama involves solving math problems, Lee Do Hyun confessed that he is currently studying mathematics. He will be portraying the role of a math genius named Baek Sung Yoo.

He said, "I am studying math so I don't look awkward when solving math problems or writing math equations. I usually get shy and can't speak to people that easily." Lee Do Hyun continued, "But Im Soo Jung took good care of me and helped me a lot during our encounter."

Lee Do Hyun
(Photo : Lee Do Hyun's Instagram)

Lee Do Hyun also shared that he is now more comfortable and gained confidence after meeting the other cast. He is already looking forward to starting filming soon.

Kdramastars owns this article.

Written by Shai Collins.

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...