Alchemy of Souls 환혼 [2022-2023]

JenL

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Also, I can't remember if anything happened to MD's original soul? The King and Jang Gang had switched souls for awhile so they both had a body. Transplanted souls into dead people ultimately become rocks when they are killed after they go rogue. However, it doesn't really addressed what happens when a soul takes on a living body.

This is what I have been wondering about. I can’t help but think this girl may be special in her own way. Or so I hope. 

• Like 5

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

5 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Totally! I want Nak Su to live, but not have anything bad happen to MD either.

Me too , it left a bad taste in my mouth when she took over MD. Isn’t weird 

Spoiler

That when she took over, MD didn’t end up in her old body just like JW’s father did with the Emperor. 

I have a theory can talk about it now @stroppyse

• Like 5

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Wow Episode 1 ending was a masterpiece. Due to the original body’s being blind.  Her eyes would naturally glow blue. In the moonlight it was reflected that she isn’t the owner of the body. 

To be honest I was saddened by the fact that the original owner may have 

Spoiler

may have died before the spirit  or may still be in there. I hope she is special because  Nam Suk still harbors feeling for Seol Yul

I think Jang Uk isn’t the EMPEROR’s Son. But Jang Gang’s son. It would seem JG is extremely powerful that is why no one dares to go against him. I wonder will we find out how JU’s mom passed away. The fact JG told the world that his wife cheated on him when it is his fault after all. I think the  emperor let the real JG died and took over his body. That being the only reason for him to block his son’s / not his son development.  

• Like 5

@UnniSara, interesting theory. I was thinking that

Spoiler

Jang Gang as the mage was able to return to his body, and was angry that Wook was not his son, but rather the Emperor who was using Gang's body. However, I was also thinking that perhaps Gang was just plain wrong, and despite what the Emperor said, Wook was actually Gang's son, and thus inherited a lot of power from Gang.

However, nobody believes that Wook is Gang's true son, not even Wook. However, if Wook is Gang's son, surely he would have a lot of power versus being sickly and weak as the emperor was? And, so Wook could then be the Great Lake that Nak Su needs to regain her power. Anyway, I'm not sure any more.

Also, I thought Wook's mother died giving birth to Wook.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

There's been plenty of foreshadowing already that a transplanted soul can have a difficult time in the host body. However, NS' own body has now been burned, so what does that mean for NS' soul?

Also, I can't remember if anything happened to MD's original soul?

I am wondering whether it is because it's meant to be? NS at first wanted to use another body, right? But somehow she got into the very body she didn't want during her search. Or that MD was supposed to die soon anyway? Or maybe that's her original body, that a soul switching been done when she was younger but she didn't know? This is a bit of a stretch, but I'm just trying to think about all possible scenarios. Because it was clearly made a mystery why NS entered MD's body instead of that girl in that room. Even NS didn't understand it. 

Am enjoying the chemistry between LJW and JSM so much! I didn't research much about this drama and only found out just now it's written by the Hong sisters. One of my faves writers. I watched almost all their work and enjoyed them. No wonder I can get on board the story telling so quickly.

What I don't understand is that why the old sickly King thinks that by sleeping with a woman using another man's body, that the child conceived will be his seed... LOL... Clinically and biologically speaking, it's still that man's seed. But of course, we just have to follow the story that it's his belief which stands, and unfortunately, Jang Gang also believed the same. But anyhow, I agree with the theory that he might know something more about the baby that he decided to seal Wook's power altogether. I think his soul switching with the King was suggested by his disciple Jin Mu, and Jang Gang knows it. The killing of NS' family I believe was instigated by Jin Mu as well? But executed by Park Jin, causing NS to harbour enmity towards the wrong person. The part of Jin Mu taking her in and trained her was also within his plan. How did she during her teenage year get to hang out with Seo Yool?

Interestingly, the Crown Prince Go Won is listed as main role. I wonder how old he is, and what's the deal with him and Wook, considering they're around the same age. Old sick king was Go Sung, current king is Go Soon. Brothers? Cousins? There are more to relationship. Looking forward to more reveals. 

1 hour ago, UnniSara said:

The fact JG told the world that his wife cheated on him when it is his fault after all.

He didn't tell the world his wife cheated on him though... He just showed disgust and didn't want to acknowledge the son, and let people make up stories like that and let it be. I mean, if people believe Wook is not his blood, why would they be protective of him and let him live. During those days, the baby would have been killed already. Not to mention his mother had died as well. So his close friends actually acknowledge Wook as Jang Gang's heir. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Reveal hidden contents

Jang Gang as the mage was able to return to his body, and was angry that Wook was not his son, but rather the Emperor who was using Gang's body. However, I was also thinking that perhaps Gang was just plain wrong, and despite what the Emperor said, Wook was actually Gang's son, and thus inherited a lot of power from Gang.

However, nobody believes that Wook is Gang's true son, not even Wook. However, if Wook is Gang's son, surely he would have a lot of power versus being sickly and weak as the emperor was? And, so Wook could then be the Great Lake that Nak Su needs to regain her power. Anyway, I'm not sure any more.

same theory for me 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Reveal hidden contents

@stroppyse I understand why you thought JG was back in his body. But I have proof that the JG now is the EMPEROR.

@ktjc  @ktcjdrama  I have read so many rebirth stories that I using that knowledge to speculate lol , If I am wrong than I am. 

Spoiler

The Emperor believes that  There maybe a chance that once a soul enters another body the soul’s essence (taint ) would be connected to the infant. So maybe that child would truly be his even if JG blood run through the baby.  Will they bring this topic up again maybe?? 

In my opinion he did tell the world because by telling one or a groups of people, these same people will spread it around. Do you remember the last master in Gi San told JU that his mom cheated on on Jang Gang. Legally JUnis JG’s son because he is being raised as such but doesn’t acknowledge him. He Eve left home under the pretense of 

I also think Jin Mi works for the Emperor even though the chart say Jang Gang is his boss. It does make sense because How did the Emperor know so much on what he was doing. Even now JM is still working for the Emperor / Jang Gang.  @stroppyse  This scene is what made me believe the real JG is dead.  The Emperor was speaking and then he made sure to seal his powers . From this scene I got a bad feeling when JG did this spell.  The Emperor threatened him and lied to him 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148868a5768527b7f0f24fb

when Namsuk did it it was blue but when JG did it it looked orange. Doesn’t the difference in color of the spell MAKE QUITE A DIFFERENCE. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148868a5768527b7f0f24fb

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a49c77ed35d7684d7e

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Hello @stroppyse @ktcjdrama and @UnniSara! I'm so glad to see you all join this thread and watch this drama.

Episode 1-2

First thing first, my baby Lee Jae wook is back :Party01::Party01::Party01: and he's going to be magical :pandawizard::wow:

The acting is pretty spot on with both the leads - I think they're both expressive and can do cool/ teasing and slapstick humour in equal balance. I always enjoy how much of a tease LJW can be with his characters - both haughty, but also genuinue and sincere in affections. JSM is also very good at keeping the continuity of the coolness of Naksu, though she's also very comical as Mu Deok as well. Also their chemistry together is good....But I'm wondering what will happen with the soul swapping...It seems like Jang wook will like Naksu who still has something from her past history for Seo Yul. So Jang Wook likes Naksu rather than Mu-Deok? Whatever happened to original Mu-Deok's spirit because I'm sure she won't have the same personality if she's still alive! :thinking: But they burnt the body?! :lettalKWA:

I loved reading though all your theories...I think I agree with @stroppyse's theory in that I feel like these stories are often ironic and I feel there's going to be this twist where Jang Gang thought Jang Wook was not his son, but it'll probably have turned out to be his real son or some twisted fate like this. A lot of magical stories like to be centred on self-fulfilling prophercies, where you create your own doom by trying to play God and thinking you will find a wa to avoid doom. :idk:

I actually think the special effects look pretty good for this series. Sometimes I am less than impressed when I watch fantasy series even when they're big budget, but this one seems to be very continuous and consistent with the magic so far. :pandawizard: I feel like I have more thoughts, but Winter is making me so sleepy, so I'll revisit tomorrow!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

12 hours ago, JenL said:

It seems like Jang wook will like Naksu who still has something from her past history for Seo Yul. So Jang Wook likes Naksu rather than Mu-Deok?

Hi @JenL! Nice to share a thread with you again.

Given that NS had been trained by Jin Mo who she knew as the head assassin rather than as a court official, I'm wondering how she even met Seo Yool. And, it does seem as if Yool and NS had a thing for each other, but given that Yool is a mage, and NS an assassin of mages, it does not seem as if it was meant to be anyway. Plus, not sure that Yool and NS as MD will still be attracted to each other other than an echo or their childhood.

Wook definitely likes NS rather than MD. To be fair, even we the viewers haven't really met MD. All we really knew about MD was that she was blind, physically weak, an orphan, and had been sold to pay off debts. If MD's soul is still alive to take charge of her body again, would she be happy? Or would she docilely go into slavehood? I'm starting to lean into the idea that MD died of a sudden heart attack or something right as NS was looking to enter a body. MD wasn't the body that NS had been looking to enter after all.

19 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

only found out just now it's written by the Hong sisters.

Oh no! I didn't realize. I think the Hong sisters write 3/4 of a good drama, but can blow it at the end, e.g. Big. sigh

19 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

What I don't understand is that why the old sickly King thinks that by sleeping with a woman using another man's body, that the child conceived will be his seed... LOL... Clinically and biologically speaking, it's still that man's seed.

True, but we are in a land far, far away with sorcery where apparently a man's soul trumps all physical biology.

18 hours ago, UnniSara said:

But I have proof that the JG now is the EMPEROR.

Honestly, I'm still not sure that I'm convinced, however, this drama could take us anywhere, so who knows?

12 hours ago, JenL said:

I actually think the special effects look pretty good for this series.

I agree! I'm very happy with the blend of RL and CGI for this series.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Both episodes are great and fun. I like the story and the characters are witty. Looking for next episodes. 

Also, like to add to some says that this feels like C period drama. At first glance it might be so, but this one has more realistic in its fantasy thing, like they dont have the weird flying moves during the fights, and the plot line runs more logical in the sense of fantasy. So I like it when kdrama also made thisnkid of stuff once in a while. Cuz just watching same old Joseon kings and the politic wars or time traveling theme between past and modern over and over are a bit boring. So AoS comes quite refreshing. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Oh no! I didn't realize. I think the Hong sisters write 3/4 of a good drama, but can blow it at the end, e.g. Big. sigh

I agree... I love them, but I am watching with a dialled down expectation now. I'd rather be surprised by great wrap-up, than be disappointed at the end if I set a high expectation.

• Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree... I love them, but I am watching with a dialled down expectation now. I'd rather be surprised by great wrap-up, than be disappointed at the end if I set a high expectation.

Same here, I'm a bit worried too. I feel quite disappointed to their last Hwayugi's ending. But I like HDL and some of their previous drama works too. But hopefully, they can make AoS with good ending as how it started. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

After a longggg time I am invested in a saguek. So far I am loving the show, characters, everything basically. But I am bracing myself for a HDL type ending(Hong sisters have truly gone off of their HEA endings sadly) because I doubt Naksu and MD can exist in one body forever. One of them will have to die or find another body. Also from episode 3, it seems Uk will become the King in the future and can it be that MD is the eldest daughter of the Jin family? The mother claimed she died but maybe...probably not?

Also, can someone explain what this means? Why are people talking about Season/Part 2 of the show?

FWKqHEMUIAAz-jw?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by YourHighness
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, YourHighness said:

After a longggg time I am invested in a saguek. So far I am loving the show, characters, everything basically. But I am bracing myself for a HDL type ending(Hong sisters have truly gone off of their HEA endings sadly) because I doubt Naksu and MD can exist in one body forever. One of them will have to die or find another body. Also from episode 3, it seems Uk will become the King in the future and can it be that MD is the eldest daughter of the Jin family? The mother claimed she died but maybe...probably not?

Also, can someone explain what this means? Why are people talking about Season/Part 2 of the show?

Same thoughts, MD might be the eldest daughter of Jin's family. And Uk will become the king but at what cost? 

Ep 3 was so funny, the chemistry between LJW and JSM is so good. The couple is powerful still so funny 😁

I really like how Uk loves to tease MuDeok. 

I loved LJW in Extraordinary You but this role suits him perfectly. Serious and playful at the same time 😊

• Like 6
5 hours ago, YourHighness said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. The screenshot is info about the drama. For instance, the first row details the genre which it says are legendary, fantasy, romance, comedy, action.

Further down, it mentions that it has 20 episodes and that it will run from June 18 to Aug 21. However, it's probably that it says that it's Part 1 that has people speculating that there might be a Part 2? If this drama is successful, I suppose there could be a Part 2, especially if this is an epic tale of a king's rise to power rather than a more simple story of the romance between Wook and NakSu.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Further down, it mentions that it has 20 episodes and that it will run from June 18 to Aug 21. However, it's probably that it says that it's Part 1 that has people speculating that there might be a Part 2? If this drama is successful, I suppose there could be a Part 2, especially if this is an epic tale of a king's rise to power rather than a more simple story of the romance between Wook and NakSu.

Found this clip.. the Director explained about the two parts. Hope that we will have a good ending for part 1.. happy ending please.. 🙏🙏

Edited by LF_Fans
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2