Alchemy of Souls 환혼 [2022-2023]

JenL

16 hours ago, LF_Fans said:

Found this clip.. the Director explained about the two parts. Hope that we will have a good ending for part 1.. happy ending please.. 🙏🙏

Thanks for the clip. The director mentions that there is a lot to the various characters and their relationships, and with just the 20 episodes, the writers wouldn't have time to write the type of dialogue and interactions that they are known for, mainly the bickering between the various leads.

And actually, I agree with the PD's assessment. One of the reasons that I've been enjoying this drama so much is that there are quite a lot of small moments between Wook and MD where we see how their dynamic works. Also, with Wook's friends, we are getting a feel for their friendship. How they give each other loads of grief, and yet come to each other's aid immediately, just as good friends might.

The dialogue is fun, though I get whiplash sometime from MD's accent coming and going between her trying to act like MD and then really being NS.

For some reason I was dreading eps 3 and 4 a bit, mostly because I thought the story might get darker as we find out that perhaps Wook is the king's son and that his legal father Jang Kang was trying to keep the country together by forbidding Wook his energy and thus his power, because otherwise, there would be a fight for the throne. And, it did start getting darker, as well as emotional. I think one of the things that Lee Jae Wook does so brilliantly is convey sadness, loneliness, dejection despite being in a position of privilege. When Wook is rejected by Park Jin from being able to study at Songrim, you felt Wook's pain and loss. It was bad enough being beaten and rejected by the man who was a defacto father to him, but to be rejected yet again after fulfilling the requirements and thus knowing that there had never been any plan to accept him cuts Wook deeply.

I was also surprised that Yool is so perceptive about MD. He correctly assesses how MD puts Wook in danger, but ultimately, it means Wook gets his way because of it.

Jung So Min is doing a fantastic job portraying NS as well as NS' idea of how MD should be. However, NS is also losing a bit of her patience and some of her underlying confidence and arrogance is seeping through, even though that is a very dangerous game. Still, I appreciated how NS/MD is able to manipulate the situation around her to get the outcome that she needs which happens to be what Wook wants/needs also, at least for the moment.

I'm looking forward to the training that NS is going to put Wook through, though I'm curious as to how Yool and Dang Gu end up joining Wook and MD.

I'm still apprehensive about the ending, and I'm preparing for an HDL instead of an HEA, but oh well. I'll enjoy it until it gets there.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Episode 5 Preview. No subs, but a translation underneath the vid.

MD: Why are all these things here?
Wook: Wow! I misunderstood you for a minute, that you were kidnapping me and making me live here with you on the pretense of training me.
MD: About those things as well, I have a lot to teach you.

Court Lady: Those kinds of women are the most dangerous!

Yool: I do not like sweet things either.
MD: If you don’t want to eat either, then be my guest.
DG: Yul is cooking. With Mu Deok.
MD: I told you…
Wook: It makes me angry! How can you leave your pupil standing right there and teach some other jerk instead?

Man: What if we disqualify Jang Wook from being a mage?
Park Jin: No matter where he goes, Jang Wook will not be able to find a master.

Man: A significant soul has transferred into this body.

Wook: Mu Deok, run away!

Wook: I didn’t want to do anything, but there is one thing that is bothering me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 6/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, stroppyse said:

The dialogue is fun, though I get whiplash sometime from MD's accent coming and going between her trying to act like MD and then really being NS.

For me, this is one of the fun thing to watch for in the drama. It’s fun to watch Her switching back and forth like that. JSM is killing it, LOL...

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 6/26/2022 at 7:17 PM, YourHighness said:

can it be that MD is the eldest daughter of the Jin family?

Hmmm, but I feel like everyone would have seen the sister before given all the families seem close unless she 'died' when she was a child? :thinking:

On 6/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, SsomGem said:

I loved LJW in Extraordinary You but this role suits him perfectly. Serious and playful at the same time 😊

I love LJW :heart: I think this sort of character is probably closer to how he is in real life - with sarcastic/ playful humour. Jang Wook reminds me of Jang Woo, the character that LJW played in When the Weather is Fine (Even the names are similar!) He's done a few roles where his character is sillier and more talkative :laugh:

On 6/28/2022 at 1:09 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Ending of ep.3 had my heart bleeding for Wook... poor guy, feeling rejected everywhere, when the people are actually trying to protect him. The acting of LJW is just amazing for that scene. It's as if I can feel the pain he's feeling as each stroke came down. 

Yes! I felt pretty bad for him because he's in the dark as to why he's being rejected and exiled even though everyone is apparently doing it out of love for him :letalQQ:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 6/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, stroppyse said:

I think one of the things that Lee Jae Wook does so brilliantly is convey sadness, loneliness, dejection despite being in a position of privilege.

I agree, though I know that I'm biased :laugh: But I will say that the reason I fell into a LJW hole was because he's very good at dooing the nuanced expressions of emotions. Particularly when the situations are complicated and he has to portray something like loving someone while not trusting them or forgving someone when stiill wanting to hate them....I feel like he's often played characters that others might not have pulled off so convincingly :BulbaOWO:

On 7/1/2022 at 1:27 AM, SsomGem said:

Hwanhon powerful cast ❤🖤

I'm loving the cool, sexy, vampire vibes of this shoot :cool:

Subbed Behind the Scenes:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JenL said:

Yes! I felt pretty bad for him because he's in the dark as to why he's being rejected and exiled even though everyone is apparently doing it out of love for him 

I think this is why doing things to keep someone "safe" while leaving them in the dark is always a bit frustrating for me, both in dramas and in real life. I feel it takes away his agency and potentially puts him in more harm's way as he tries to go after what he thinks he wants. The people around him are treating him like a child in both "protecting" him but not telling him the truth for fear of perhaps hurting his feelings?

It seems as if it usually ends in unintended consequences that brings about the very thing that he's being protected from.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I think this is why doing things to keep someone "safe" while leaving them in the dark is always a bit frustrating for me, both in dramas and in real life. I feel it takes away his agency and potentially puts him in more harm's way as he tries to go after what he thinks he wants. The people around him are treating him like a child in both "protecting" him but not telling him the truth for fear of perhaps hurting his feelings?

It seems as it usually ends in unintended consequences that brings about the very thing that he's being protected from.

This! I always believe in enabling others to protect themselves. Why? Because we can never be there 24/7 to protect them! 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 5 😍😍😍

Mudeok and Naksu should have a special link 🤔

That could explain why Naksu didn't get wild yet and why sometimes she acts without being conscious... 

I like this idea because I want Mudeok to live as well as Naksu. 

I liked the scene when all the mages gathered together, it gave me these vibes of one my fav movie "The Lord of rings" 😊

I'm happy about their meeting with Master Lee, fighting 💪

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Love the drama so far.. it keeps me entertaining and intriguing to see how the story progressing. 

Episode 5 reveals lots of info, yet there are still many unclear things.

Here some parts that keep me thinking..

Naksu’s childhood…  Jin killed her dad; but why the maid said to Naksu to hide and run away from her dad. And it seems the maid was killed by her dad. Did her dad turn evil? And Jin killed him actually protecting Naksu?

Mu Deok.. who is she? Some said that she might be Jin’s first daughter who died/missing. If that’s true, how she ended up became a commoner. And what happened to her soul, when Naksu took over her body. So many questions..  

The queen… what’s in the box that she receives regularly? She’s so secretive, she seems to control things behind the scene.

The eunuch.. who soul is there? and the guard will soul shift to become an Eunuch? 

Any thoughts? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Yes I'm totally immersed into this drama. So thrilling. Agree, so many interesting points... 

For Mudeok's dad, maybe someone's soul took over his body. That's can explain the maid advising her to hide. Or maybe he discovered something about his daughter's fate which turned him like this. What is sure is that her dad didn't want to protect Naksu this famous night... 

Yes the Queen of course she's suspicious, she must covering up Jin Mu's actions in exchange of these boxes. 

For Mudeok, yes might be the eldest of Jin's family but I can't help thinking that she also have a bound with Naksu. Which one? That could explain why their soul shifting is so special, not like what happens usually. It's like that they became one, Mudeok's body is as present as Naksu's soul. The way she was exhausted this night, she couldn't even wake up. Really strange. 

The euneuch is so intriguing. At first, i thought he was the "brain" but sometimes he behaves just like a servant. Why does Jin Mu protect him? He might be someone important... 

Can't wait for tonight's episode. I also hope that we'll learn more about Mudeok's real life in Sari in the upcomming episodes

Edited by SsomGem
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Why oh why did I start watching this during broadcast?!?!

It's getting more and more tense as the intrigue heats up. The drama is doing a good job of maintaining some humorous elements, but overall, the momentum is shifting with Wook's determination to prove himself becoming firmer. It is a young man's pride to go beyond the limitations that others keep telling him he has. I loved how MD uses every trick in the book to motivate Wook. It is still because she needs him to be stronger so that she can regain her strength, but she is also coming to care for this man who worries about her rather than just looking to use her.

The sorcery element means that nothing can be taken for granted, and the story could go just about anywhere. The magical mirror makes it interesting since there does seem to be a spirit that lives there who reflects the image of the person standing in front of it, but clearly has a mind and an agenda of its own. It feels like a borrow from the Evil Queen's mirror in the fairy tale 'Snow White', though more active since it was able to pull MD in through the mirror.

I do keep wondering about MD. Perhaps she is the Jin Family's eldest daughter?  Though if so, it's odd that no one in that family seems to recognize her in any way, not even as having a resemblance to the eldest daughter. Plus, there was the story of her being blind and weak and being raised by a grandmother in a rural village.

I also keep hoping that both MD and NS are able to make it through, but having 2 souls and only 1 body, it does not seem as if it's fated for both of them to survive.

I appreciate that a love line may be starting between Jo Yeong and Dang Gu. The love triangle with Wook, NS, and Yool kind of makes me sad. Though, I'm thinking that ultimately NS' soul may go away after all, so that ultimately both Wook and Yool would be alone to make with life as they will.

JSM is killing it as NS/MD. The only thing that is a bit disconcerting is that they keep showing us NS' original self. I can understand the flashback scenes with Yool and NS as teenagers, but not sure why they keep showing us adult NS.

Anyway, I wish I could stop watching right now so that I could binge watch all the episodes once they air, but I can't wait that long. :pandapopcorn:  Also, did I mention how LJW as Wook is just total love? :duckhearts:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

Done episode 6. So far it doesn't make me bored and I really enjoy the master and diciple frantic moments. And what makes me like the story is that the female character doesn't change to something someone sweet so sudden. I like her for being with her flaws, still selfish, brilliant and survival. And that young master diciple who loves to spoil her.

The ryusu, chisu, tansu and what is the last, I couldnt recall, reminds me of four elements of avatar. So water controlling power is their goal here? Anyway, so far until episode 6 the story goes more interesting. I hope the romance doesn't ruin the flow. I like romance but for now I like the journey of Naksu to get her power back. 

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, I wish I could stop watching right now so that I could binge watch all the episodes once they air, but I can't wait that long. :pandapopcorn:  Also, did I mention how LJW as Wook is just total love? :duckhearts:

Same here!! I cant wait that long. He does! I love how he spoil MD that much. Lols. And JSM as NS/MD is just perfectly portrayed. I love her as both. And that MD's accent sounds so cute. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 7/3/2022 at 6:34 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

I love how he spoil MD that much.

His jealousy makes me laugh so much! When he asks MD how she could teach someone else when her one and only pupil is standing right there in front of her. :duckhearts:  He doesn't realize it yet, but he has it bad for NS/MD.  And, NS seems to be warming up to Wook as well. I'm just hoping that it doesn't do one of those separated for eternity only to be able to meet once in a millenia kind of thing as the ending.

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
11 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

His jealousy makes me laugh so much! When he asks MD how she could teach someone else when her one and only pupil is standing right there in front of her. :duckhearts:  He doesn't realize it yet, but he has it bad for NS/MD.  And, NS seems to be warming up to Wook as well. I'm just hoping that it doesn't do one of those separated for eternity only to be able to meet once in a millenia kind of thing as the ending.

I'm sure that jealousy means he likes her. And he is just being denial telling that she's like the bird's egg that needs his embrace. Lols. Such obvious confession. Even Mr. Lee gives him a thoughful glances. 

Oh I am pretty nervous to the ending as well, I still traumatized by Korean Odissey, but I like HDL and TK2H a lot. So yea... hope they will give us a better one than what we expected. 

Wait, I don't really get it with your post above this page, that the director plans to make this into two parts? I havent back read yet so will we get AoS part 2 liie season 2 or what? 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
8 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Wait, I don't really get it with your post above this page, that the director plans to make this into two parts? I havent back read yet so will we get AoS part 2 liie season 2 or what? 

@LF_Fans posted this clip about the director talking about a season 2.  So, it seems that there will be a season 2 because there is so much story to tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@stroppyse whoa.. I'm quite excited to hear it. Now I expect things that I shouldnt have. Cuz I fear if I expect too much it will be pretty disappointing when they don't meet the expectation. 

I agreed with LF, this tale would be really epic if they focus more on the journey, the rise of the kings or the return of Naksu, well the new Naksu. I love romance but make it slow burn and fun. Cuz these days romance come pretty instant and it has no much feeling and turn things boring. I dont want to drop more dramas cuz I have done so many already. At least this one is keeping me interested each week and I have something to wait on the weekend feels good. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 7/2/2022 at 9:51 PM, SsomGem said:

Somin described LJW as serious but playful in real life. I can really feel that vibe from his interviews and the behind the scenes. That's certainly the reason why he's so good as Uk 😁 

I feel like her assessment sounds about right -  he seems quite serious when he wants to act, but he's also quite funny/ charming when interacting with cast mates :wow:

On 7/2/2022 at 11:39 PM, stroppyse said:

As I read this...my memories of LJW's DDSSLLS ending resurfaced for a moment  :letalQQ::psweatduck::laugh: Actually Jung so Min's last drama Monthly Home Magazine also had an eerily similar ending to DDSSLLS - it was also one where the character made a choice for the 'good' of everyone which wasn't necessary and resulted in a really awful seperation and anger inducing ending for viewers. In any case, I will always love DDSSLLS (minus the ending) and I didn't mind Monthly House (minus the ending)...but hoping this drama will end better than both the leads' past dramas!

At least so far the whole "I'm doing this for your own good" hasn't yet traumatised Jang Uk. He seems like he gets over his hurt ok and he has good friends to rely on and bounce off. :heart:

On 7/3/2022 at 4:04 AM, SsomGem said:

I liked the scene when all the mages gathered together, it gave me these vibes of one my fav movie "The Lord of rings" 😊

Weirdly enough this series does remind me of Lord of the Rings sometimes. I think because someone was saying that it's weird to have a Korean period drama not set in a real time or place...but I was explaining that it's just a fantasy story and we see this all the time in English films like Lord of the Rings.  :heiboi:

On 7/3/2022 at 5:26 PM, LF_Fans said:

Mu Deok.. who is she? Some said that she might be Jin’s first daughter who died/missing. If that’s true, how she ended up became a commoner. And what happened to her soul, when Naksu took over her body. So many questions.. 

I can't help but feel like it would be weird if she was the oldest Jin daughter unless she has a spell put on her body or something because now that we're at episode 6 - she would have run into her sister and mother but they don't recognise her? :thinking:

• Like 4

Do you think that danju's minion succeeded performing the alchemy of soul and shifted his sould to JW? The preview showed his dead body with the blue mark. And JW acted as if he's not him too, he's covered with the masked looking super handsome. 😅 I mean... the preview obviously leads us to that conclusion. I think if Naksu can trick people with her entering MD's body. She probably has a way too to prevent the ice stone to eject the soul?? 

Like Jang saved himself from the King's dying body thing, so I believe JW is still himself, with his own soul. 

Btw, I start liking the crown prince too. He is not the evil one type but he picks the wrong mentor as his teacher. For once I expect no killing brother for throne trope here, so when he finds out that JW is his cousin, they can be good brothers. They can help each other. Cuz I see their true enemy is the white hair guy from the Jin's family.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Do you think that danju's minion succeeded performing the alchemy of soul and shifted his sould to JW?

I think he did; just like Naksu did. His body has a blue mark, just like Naksu in episode 1. But my guess, the same thing happens to Jang Uk as to Mu Deok; one body two souls cohabiting.  

From episode 7, MD is probably the long lost first daughter of Jin’s family. There is a hint about her relation to the ice stone. She most likely has some power.. what if her action before the soul shifting (hugging Jang Uk) transferred some energy from her, that would help him containing his soul…Anyway.. it’s just my wild guess.. We’ll see tonight. So far the plot is running quite fast; we will get some answers in the next episode.

Love the “romance” so far. It’s so interesting to see how committed both of them, helping each other out; complement each other weaknesses and strengths. 

Edited by LF_Fans
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Really interesting episodes this week, plus the tension is building. It seems that the original MD may have a connection with Wook as well? She's the one who actually prevents Wook's body from being taken by the henchman's soul. I assume that it was original MD rather than NS since she had a blindfold over her eyes to indicate she was blind. Also, if, as it seems to be hinting, MD is actually the Jin Family's oldest daughter after all, then there is a strong affinity for sorcery in her as well. So, perhaps there are really 2 souls being housed in a single body? But, if so, then I'm apprehensive that at least 1 of the souls will have to be released at some point. Perhaps as NS now realizes that a soul shifter had taken her father's body, she'll refine her targets to find out the truth rather than just avenging his and her family's deaths against the families who she thought had killed them all.

I think the romance is progressing along nicely as well. Wook has clearly been developing feelings for MD, but she only now seems to realize that Wook means something to her as well rather than just being a means to an end. The question that remains for me, though, is whether Wook is in love with NS or MD? While it is clearly NS who Wook is a disciple of and whom he interacts with, it's MD's face and form that Wook seems to have developed an affection for..

I'm curious about the Crown Prince. He definitely does not seem evil, however, he's been raised to take the throne. I do wonder how he will react to Wook being the late king's son and possibly the one prophesied to take the throne. On a personal level, it seems as if Wook and the CP could become allies and friends, however, competition for the throne makes that a very unlikely scenario, so perhaps they'll become frenemies and allies against the soul shifters as long as that conflict lasts?

• Like 2