My Liberation Notes 나의 해방일지 [2022]

Tofu

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I do love SSK since DS60 Days. He is one of the main reasons I was looking forward to this show. 

DS60 Days, that’s when I first fell for him! That charming secretary!

Seems like we have similar taste not just SSK… :lmao2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hope...

Sometimes that's all you have when you have nothing else.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, Rina said:

DS60 Days, that’s when I first fell for him! That charming secretary!

Seems like we have similar taste not just SSK… :lmao2:

Indeed....come watch.

Pre-released. Are they both gonna start worshipping each other? :hug:

Spoiler

New stills

optimize

optimize

Lol...Chang Hee trying to copy Mr Gu ...but not so successful eh...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

So our worship couple has taken off! The little meal date they had was a surprise and I think what I like most is that their conversation though awkward was pretty candid and honest. This is unlike most couples who usually start off talking about very surface stuff as they get to know each other. Anyhow , I am excited at how this will develop.

I think for older brother , it seems he won't respond to the interest of his colleague but I personally think that MJ's friend is a good match for him. But I suppose they are too close or perhaps past the point where they could become romantically inclined. We'll see.

New stills - looks like progress for all the potential love lines. 

202204241418540401.jpg

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I was telling @SilverMoonTea that it seems like I've abandoned this drama even though I started the thread. Haha! It's because I can't handle too many somber dramas at once so I'm waiting until Tomorrow is close to being done to start this. If I drop Tomorrow, @mademoiselle will disown me. :lmao2:

Ji Won is me, I would rather go home too. Haha!

HAHAHAHA!

The cast reacting to some of the scenes. Haha!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit torn in my appreciation of this drama. On the one hand, all the lingering shots of people sitting or water flowing or whatever feel a bit draggy and tempts me to ff. However, when it actually shows you interactions or bits of story making progress, then it's almost like a surprise that grabs my attention that had started to wander during the "reflective" bits.

So, now we know Mr. Gu's full name. Gu Ja Gyeong. So, CH was right and Mr. Gu had been a national level track athlete, and even guessed his name before his mother told him to stop guessing! Or at least Mr. Gu has the same name as one of the names that CH has guessed.

I rather like the building romance between Mr. Gu and MJ. It feels so honest. Though from a previous episode epilogue, we saw that Mr. Gu had noticed MJ and that had convinced him to stay in that rural village when he felt the need to hide out. With MJ's determination to like Mr. Gu regardless rather than pick out his flaws and keep her distance, it seems to be freeing both MJ and Mr. Gu in terms of how they deal with each other.

As for the older sister KJ and her attraction to Tae Hoon, I'm still waiting for the daughter to take a stand against KJ. Not to mention how TH's sisters are going to react when they hear of KJ's words at the bar that the daughter heard.

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think for older brother , it seems he won't respond to the interest of his colleague but I personally think that MJ's friend is a good match for him. But I suppose they are too close or perhaps past the point where they could become romantically inclined. We'll see.

I think they could be a good match as well, though both of them may need to mature first. For one thing, they seem to have friend-zoned each other for the time being. Also, the friend has that ex-bf of hers who seems to still be on the scene since he's freely going into her house, eating her food, and calling her to come keep him company. Then, finally, they both haven't really succeeded or even figured out what they want from life or even in the near term future, so perhaps they would only reinforce each other's discontent if they become a couple now.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
44 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I don't know about you guys, I'm now more amused that Gi Jung is buddy-buddy with her boss, telling him everything about her crush with Cho Tae Hun and that makes the other ladies jealous:lmao2:

True! It's funny how he's gone from someone that KJ was rather sniffy about to basically being her love guru. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 4/25/2022 at 8:30 AM, stroppyse said:

I'm a bit torn in my appreciation of this drama. On the one hand, all the lingering shots of people sitting or water flowing or whatever feel a bit draggy and tempts me to ff. However, when it actually shows you interactions or bits of story making progress, then it's almost like a surprise that grabs my attention that had started to wander during the "reflective" bits.

Agreed. Especially when I first started , I thought  the pacing was slow and I wondered if I could stay alert. But as the episodes progressed I found myself drawn to the characters ( especially Gu and MJ) , and I understood their frustrations & this desire to break out from the rut their in. What I like is that it seems like nothing significant is happening but if I look back, the characters have all grown some how. 

I love this scene. MJ has had a positive effect in helping Gu , and I know his attention in any form makes her very happy. And because they have such honest conversations and don't plan to change the other person, I have a feeling their relationship will go the distance.

FRP5hQ6VEAEx3Uz?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 4:32 AM, abs-oluteM said:

What I like is that it seems like nothing significant is happening but if I look back, the characters have all grown some how. 

Definitely. I even appreciate some of the slowness of some of the scenes since it does provide this contrast of development even when nothing seems to be happening.

I think Chang Hee is the one who is possibly struggling the most to change. I'm not sure how I feel about his determination to stick like gum to the woman at work that he dislikes so much just because she's the type who gets everything anyway. and he wants some of that. Despite the incidents in his past that are alluded to such as his attempt to buy a car which his father had to bail him out of, he seems to have stagnated and just grown more desperate without any concrete ideas of how to progress forward.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:32 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I love this scene. MJ has had a positive effect in helping Gu , and I know his attention in any form makes her very happy. And because they have such honest conversations and don't plan to change the other person, I have a feeling their relationship will go the distance.

I agree. I know that MJ has phrased it as that she's "practicing" being open and giving her all, but given their interactions and personalities, I also feel as if MJ and Gu could go the distance.

Gu was interested in MJ from the get go and she's the reason he decided to hide out in their village anyway, though probably without any intention to develop a relationship with her or anything like that. Though, interesting that he hid out in their village and he got a job with her father.

However, now that MJ is interested in him, and she is becoming real for him, you can almost see him considering the idea and wanting to take a chance at liking her for real. Heck, he doesn't seem like the kind of man who would "worship" anyone.

I really like their honesty with each other, and their willingness to accept each other. Though, it seems as if Gu is going to get exasperated with MJ over the loan she took out for her ex-bf which he's not paying her back for.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I just started the first episode of this and I really like it! I'm surprised I wasn't so aware of this series or keen to watch it. @SilverMoonTea was right - it feels quite relatable in portraying the disappointments of life. Those mundane moments you wish could be better or more exciting...I feel like it's a series that you can watch and understand really well as an adult :heiboi:

I'm a bit behind, so will binge the rest of the episodes this week and hopefully catch up to chat. :MewHi:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 4/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, JenL said:

I feel like it's a series that you can watch and understand really well as an adult :heiboi:

True...pretty relatable. The feeling of being trapped and looking for meaning...think many folks would have gone through that some point in their adult lives.

-----------

Pre-released

Spoiler

I love the way Gu looks at her

BF.29811233.1.jpg

• Like 2

We get some more information about Gu. Apparently, he may have been part of a gang, having to lay low for awhile. However, he's now being called back to Seoul from his mate, with a speculation that they might be able to get close to the Chairman. Also, it's revealed that Gu was working for MJ's father without any pay. So, Gu probably has money stashed away. He also tells MJ that she would be surprised by the type of guy he was, if she only knew, and that he's a scary man, one who could take a knife or knife someone without blinking. The scene where he tells MJ that is kind of sweet, though, because he mentions how he's not afraid of anything, but MJ makes him tremble.

Also, a part of Gu's worshiping MJ is to make her ramen. :duckhearts:

I admit that I become more and more fascinated by Gu. It seems that KJ is accepting that MJ and Gu are dating, even if she can't help but disparage MJ for it. However, it seems that KJ herself is finally doing some self reflection. While she finally admitted to herself that she likes TH, she can't bring herself to tell him for fear that he will reject her as harshly as she had rejected guys who had liked her, but that she felt were beneath her.

As for CH, I have to admit that as much as it pains me to not like Lee Min Ki, his plotline is the one that I glaze over. Though, now that he knows that MH and Gu are dating, I wonder what his reaction will be.

The Liberation Club is also kind of cool. The activities coordinator seemed a bit admiring of the group. I wonder if she's going to want to join them?

This drama is one in which I have no expectations. I just watch to see where these characters will go next, and it's telling that this drama is the one that I want to watch first when it's on before I watch the others. 

@JenL, nice to see you on the thread. Can't wait for you to catch up and share your thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Ooh, Gu has been found by his gangster colleagues, though Gu himself seems very reluctant to leave his life in the boondocks with MJ and her family. MJ and Gu continue to be very cute together, "worshiping" each other in their own unique way.

MJ does seem to be slowly gaining more confidence in herself. Also, it was good that her instincts was validated by the head product development manager, even if her own manager continues to disparage her. He's such a slimeball. It was good to watch him being told that his edits were crap, while the first drafts which MJ had done were good. Of course, he's going to submit them without MJ knowing about it, but since this is material that the company is going to use to promote their new card, MJ is going to know its her work. Even if the slime ball tries to take all the credit. I really want to watch him being taken down. Unfortunately, I know that in RL, there are a number of people like MJ's slimeball boss who take credit for other people's work while producing very little themselves. However, at least in this fictional world, I hope the slimeball is taken down and humiliated for the slime that he is.

I felt bad for KJ to be rejected, even if it was expected. She's such a proud woman, that she must really, really like TH to confess to him despite her pride and even though she anticipated that she might be rejected. I thought she cried after she cracked her wrist, not just from the pain, but from the humiliation that she felt. Though, since I feel that KJ sincerely liked TH, I expect KJ to pick herself up soon. Personally, I felt that telling someone you like them is usually the right thing to do, as long as the person you like isn't already involved with someone else.

Still, don't have much to say about CH since his struggles with his slimy colleague just isn't that interesting to me.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 5/2/2022 at 1:38 AM, stroppyse said:

I felt bad for KJ to be rejected, even if it was expected. She's such a proud woman, that she must really, really like TH to confess to him despite her pride and even though she anticipated that she might be rejected. I thought she cried after she cracked her wrist, not just from the pain, but from the humiliation that she felt. Though, since I feel that KJ sincerely liked TH, I expect KJ to pick herself up soon. Personally, I felt that telling someone you like them is usually the right thing to do, as long as the person you like isn't already involved with someone else.

Me too. So brave of her....but Stroppyse,  I laughed so hard when she asked her brother to set up the accident.  :laugh:And Chang Hee , though was reluctant at first did it anyway because this what siblings do - you support each other doing idiotic stuff at times because you know  how much it means to them. I really love the relationship dynamics between the siblings. It isn't exactly lovey dovey or Disney like sort of thing but they have each other's back no matter what. And they talk & bicker like how most siblings do.

I love the little changes that we're seeing in our Worship couple. MJ is clearly a lot happier and confident. With Gu ,she's able to express how she feels. And even Gu - it's just how he waits for her at the station, gets her drinks & ice cream instead of his soju,  checks his phone when she's late coming home etc. I love that he told her (in Saturday's epsiode)  that he was scared of her because that was like a confession of how he felt for her. 

But Gu as a gangster or with a shady background concerns me a bit. Clearly this is going to have some sort of repercussion on their relationship. His involvement with her will affect  her and her family's safety. So will he just disappear after that? That last line in the preview he said this

"I'll stop if you tell me"

So what does that mean? That he will leave his past (gang) and start afresh? But would that be possible? 

• Like 2

I started this on the recommendation of @abs-oluteMand for the love of Son Suk-koo. I also noticed a bit of hype on other platforms and felt reasonably confident that this would be right up my alley. Already I have completed 4 episodes and in all honesty I find it very gripping and addictive. I could watch more but RL and bedtime beckons. 

There's plenty to like about this but my single favourite thing about this drama is the dialogue at this point When it happens. It is fascinating that some of the characters have far too much to say while others have the mute button on perpetually. The two oldest Yeom siblings are classic motor mouths. Once they get going, they have a hard time stopping. The squabbling has me grinning because it's so familiar. I haven't lived with my siblings for over 25 years but I remember my mother's siblings going hammer and tongs at each other when I spent many afternoons at my grandmother's. I'm rather stunned by Lee Min-gi's performance here because the last thing I saw him in was What Lies Within where he played a laidback taciturn cop. While his character here has a tendency to say too much, I do enjoy his cutting wit. I don't mind admitting that he made me laugh on more than one occasion. 

What the dialogue does in the narrative is to enhance the characterization. There's no doubt regardless of what these people are going through, they are their own worst enemy. That... it seems to me... to be Lesson No. 1. Chang-hee's fight with his ex was telling. His insecurities came to surface instantly and puts a negative spin on everything she said. The shouting match was about him taking control of the discourse so that it looked like he was in the driver's seat and that he was the one who chose the terms of the breakup. He as much admits it later to Gi-jung. He wasn't interested in conflict resolution to strengthen his relationship but concealing his own fear about his own inadequacies and protecting his ego. 

Lesson No. 2 it seems to me is that people are susceptible to navel gazing. What we have are a whole bunch of people suffering paralysis by analysis. They are unhappy but they don't really know what they want. They think they do but in effect they are like most people... and they don't. Commuting 1-1.5 hours  each way in this day and age isn't that unusual. Certainly not where I live. Housing in the inner suburbs and in the CBD is not practical for everyone. Clearly the Yeom siblings are frustrated and directionless. However, going home every night is an anchor for them. It's a trade-off for the lack of privacy and freedom. They go home to a cooked meal and a guaranteed roof over their heads. What they're not happy about is having to play by someone else's rules. The truth was best said by John Donne a few hundred years ago... "No man is an island entire of itself"

Of course I find Son Suk-koo's character fascinating and intriguing. The long jump was thrilling in its execution.

Overall I love the script so far. It's like lying in a comfortable sofa and getting immersed in a really good novel.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, abs-oluteM said:

And Chang Hee , though was reluctant at first did it anyway because this what siblings do - you support each other doing idiotic stuff at times because you know  how much it means to them.

Yes, sometimes, even if you think that they are doing something stupid, you still support them because that's what siblings do. Also, it is a bit of the case of, "they're my siblings so I can disparage them all I want, but just let anyone else wrong them in any way!"

I had to laugh as well when CH showed up for the "accident", and even though KJ was injured, so it shouldn't have been funny, it was funny that it didn't go to her plan. Of course, it was never going to work, but they all knew that. That's exactly why it was funny.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, abs-oluteM said:

So what does that mean? That he will leave his past (gang) and start afresh? But would that be possible? 

I also wondered whether it meant that Gu had told MJ about his background and offered to leave that life,  or whether he was offering to stop worshiping her, though that could be for any number of reasons. Anyway, it's a bit unsettling that Gu probably has a violent past.

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

There's plenty to like about this but my single favourite thing about this drama is the dialogue at this point When it happens.

Hi @40somethingahjumma, nice to have your thoughts on the thread! I agree about the dialogue, as well as your comment about "when it happens". There are such long pauses in this drama. The pauses make sense and create mood, but still can feel so draggy at times.

Anyway, I agree with both points that you made. We can be our worst enemies, and we can get so lost in navel gazing that we don't actually do anything to change things. And, time keeps flowing regardless of whether we do something or nothing.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

I just started watching this and only caught up till ep.5 now. Totally enjoying it so much. I really don't know how to describe this drama... It's so unique in the delivery of the story. There are soooo many scenes with hardly any lines and dialogues, and yet you don't want to miss any of it. The team really did good casting these actors and actresses, because only those with strong acting skills can carry those wordless scenes well.

Haven't read any previous posts yet since the drama started airing because I want to savour every moment of this drama pure. Will come back after I'm caught up with all aired episodes.  

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

@40somethingahjumma @ktcjdrama so glad you both are watching this show . The conversations are so realistic and the struggles these characters go through are pretty relatable.

———

Spoiler for tonight!

So is Gu some big shot thug? This is interesting 

• Like 3

Hmm, it seems Gu had been living with the other thug's sister, and she was feeling suicidal. Gu wanted her to go into therapy, but it seems that she went ahead and committed suicide, and her brother blames Gu for not being supportive enough and saying stuff to her that tipped her over the edge. Gu seems to be guilt tripping a bit, but I was glad to see that he wasn't letting the thug have all of his say. Gu rightly points out how the thug took over all of Gu's business and was too busy to try to get revenge for his little sister as he claimed he wanted.

Also, when he asked MJ if she wanted it to stop, he was referring to the worshiping. MJ was clearly in shock, though not sure if it's because Gu had been living with someone, or that he had been with someone who killed herself. Anyway I'm glad the preview for the next episode seemed to show that MJ still wants to be with Gu.

It also shows in more detail how MJ was the reason that Gu stopped in their small village and stayed.

I wonder ig KJ's boss is starting to have feelings for her, more than just as her dating mentor? I hope not since their friendship is actually pretty cool.

As for CH, poor guy, he didn't get the transfer or the promotion, and he's still stuck to that female co-worker he hates. I agree with his friends, though, that CH's antipathy for that woman is off the charts.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
18 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The conversations are so realistic and the struggles these characters go through are pretty relatable.

Indeed... I love everything about this drama. There were some words of wisdom too for life. Not draggy at all for me. It is slow, but I'm enjoying every seconds of it.

So it turned out that MJ is sort of Gu's life saver, indirectly. I had guessed the two cups that Gu is using while drinking is probably like he's drinking on somebody's behalf. Like someone is dead. So that second cup would be for his girlfriend then? 

Loving all the OST too!

OST#7 --- MV of Worship Couple

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

38 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

So it turned out that MJ is sort of Gu's life saver, indirectly.

Somewhat surprised but it felt kind of romantic. And also it was love at first sight for him - I do think that's why he stayed on here in this remote place. 

Love this bit

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

wonder ig KJ's boss is starting to have feelings for her, more than just as her dating mentor? I hope not since their friendship is actually pretty cool.

Do you feel like the boss is more suitable for her? I like that they communicate so well. 

Stills for tonight

optimize

• Like 2

16 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Somewhat surprised but it felt kind of romantic. And also it was love at first sight for him - I do think that's why he stayed on here in this remote place. 

I'm not sure that it was love at first sight actually, now that we know more of his back story. The reveal that he had seen MJ at the train station was an early reveal actually, though we only heard her voice at the time rather than getting confirmation by actually seeing her face.

It feels as if Gu was burnt out on the life he was living, and he wasn't particularly happy in his relationship with Baek's sister. That's probably also why he feels so much guilt over her death, because he didn't care that much for her, so he's probably wondering if he actually did cause her to take that final step of taking her own life.

I think he heard MJ's voice and how direct she was, which was different than the women he knew in Seoul. He was definitely struck by her, enough so that he goes to work for MJ's father. The only reason that I'm not sure that it was love is because I don't think Gu ever expected to have an actual relationship with MJ. I think she took him by surprise when she started approaching him. Just my thought anyway.

I do think that Gu stayed in that rural village because of MJ, however, and possibly her family who were so different than the life he had known before. Also, he was doing hard, physical labor as well as skilled labor versus the nightclubs that he seemed to have been running before, and possibly acting as a lieutenant of some sort to the chairman of the enterprise which probably included other activities which required a gang as enforcers.

16 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Do you feel like the boss is more suitable for her? I like that they communicate so well. 

No, I don't. I think that the KJ and her boss should just stay friends. As KJ herself said, she's not her boss' type anyway. I think the boss seems to like them young, pretty, and immature, however, he seems to bore of them readily since he's known to go from woman to woman. I don't think his current gf is going to last long, regardless of KJ.

KJ is loud, feisty, and opinionated. I think that she and TJ could make a good couple, if they are able to get his daughter to look past KJ's stupid words when she was drunk and didn't know them.

I really loved episodes 9 and 10. Funny how Gu becomes defensive and a bit of a jerk as he realizes that MJ isn't messing around. She really cares about him, and is fine with everyone in the neighborhood and their family knowing that they're dating. I don't feel tht Gu was taking it all too seriously until he found out that MJ had told her family. Telling her parents about their relationship took it to a new level of seriousness when Gu hadn't even told MJ that much about himself.

So, I was really happy when MJ didn't let him get away with it, and called him out on it. Why was it that pain of any type was acceptable but caring for the woman he likes wasn't? I think it talks to Gu's background, the people he associated with, the women he dated. MJ is straightforward and says exactly what's on her mind rather than fishing or nagging or going on endlessly about nothing in particular.

Appreciated Gu's response to MJ's challenge as well. It seems he's decided to be with MJ rather than letting it happen while he holds her of at arm's length. Love that meal that they have in Seoul before they go back home where he's clearly taking care of her. Btw, it also means that he took her to a restaurant that he knows since he knew where to get various things for them without having to ask a server.

And, the final scene where Gu and MJ are playing on the beach was so sweet. He's actually pretty amazing looking when he smiles.

Gu's life is so different now with MJ and her family versus at the New Year's party when he walked out of the party alone with a tired and dissatisfied look on his face.

I'm still not sure I understand what's going on with CH, however, it was nice to see him so happy driving Gu's car.

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I had a good laugh because of CH this episode... He's so immature yet you can't hate him.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, stroppyse said:

the final scene where Gu and MJ are playing on the beach was so sweet.

I really love this too... First skinship!!

So are we going to have a time jump then? I'm assuming we started at the summer of 2021, and then the weather grew colder, and now it's the end of the year 2021 and welcoming 2022? It worries me since Gu mentioned that he's going to decide whether to stay at the countryside or return to his previous world.

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif