K-Ent Grapevine

Baeksang Arts Awards 2022 - Drama Poll ( Vote for your favorites!)   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best Drama

• Netflix “D.P.”
    • tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Netflix “Squid Game”
    • MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • wavve “Political Fever”
  2. 2. Best Actor

• Kim Nam Gil – SBS “Through the Darkness”
    • Lee Jung Jae – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Lee Junho – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Im Siwan – wavve “Tracer”
    • Jung Hae In – Netflix “D.P.”
  3. 3. Best Actress

• Kim Tae Ri – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Kim Hye Soo – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Park Eun Bin – KBS2 “The King’s Affection”
    • Lee Se Young – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Han So Hee – Netflix “My Name”
  4. 4. Best Supporting Actor

• Lee Deok Hwa – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Lee Hak Joo – wavve “Political Fever”
    • Lee Hyun Wook – tvN “Mine”
    • Cho Hyun Chul – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Heo Sung Tae – Netflix “Squid Game”
  5. 5. Best Supporting Actress

• Kang Mal Geum – JTBC “Thirty-Nine”
    • Kim Shin Rok – Netflix “Hellbound”
    • Kim Joo Ryung – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Ok Ja Yeon – tvN “Mine”
    • Jang Hye Jin – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
  6. 6. Best New Actor

• Goo Kyo Hwan – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Shin Seung Ho – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Yoo In Soo – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Choi Hyun Wook – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Tang Joon Sang – SBS “Racket Boys”
  7. 7. Best New Actress

• Kim Hye Joon – JTBC “Inspector Koo”
    • Lee Yeon – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Lee Yoo Mi – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Jung Ho Yeon – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Cho Yi Hyun – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2022 at 03:59 PM

yoo-yeon-seok-clapping.gif

cDo0ME.gif

By Kim Da Sol

[Herald Interview] Jason Kim dedicates ‘My Heart Puppy’ to his beloved dog

20230221000672-0.jpg

Director Jason Kim of “My Heart Puppy” (Kidari Studio)

Anyone who has a dog will experience heartbreak at least once letting your beloved companion go. But it’s not so easy to make a film dedicated to your dear dog.

Jason Kim, the filmmaker behind the 2017 action comedy hit “Midnight Runners,” is releasing “My Heart Puppy,” a canine-themed film based on his own personal experiences of separation from his 10-year-old Yorkshire Terrier.

“I raised two dogs called Rooney and Ray, small Yorkshire Terriers less than 1.5 kilograms, since 2005. But as I go through various stages and events in my life, such as going to the military and continuing my career, I always felt a sense of guilt and I felt sorry for having to leave my dogs behind at my parent's house,” Kim told The Korea Herald during an interview in Seoul on Feb. 17.

“My Heart Puppy” revolves around the efforts of Min Soo (Yoo Yeon Seok) and Jin Guk (Cha Tae Hyun) to find a new family for Min Soo's dog Rooney, after discovering that Min-soo's fiance is allergic to dogs.

Once the film embarked on promotions and held press screenings, it's central topic and theme went viral among pet owners.

“There are some 15 million people in South Korea raising dogs and opinions will vary, of course. Some may say that they would hand over their dogs to new owners while others may have no choice but to look for a new owner. What I want to say is that, there is no right or wrong answer. But one should take responsibility when you keep dogs as a companion,” said Kim.

“I wanted to shed light on the stories of abandoned dogs and have a positive influence on how pet dogs should be taken on with responsibility,” he added.

The film contains a few notable lessons on friendship with dogs and how humans should view them as companion, not just a toy that you can abandon.

In the film, Min Soo and Jin Kook embark on a journey to Jeju Island looking for a new owner who can take care of Rooney. On the way, seven other dogs join as two men continuously meet puppies in danger.

“Each dog appearing in the film carries a message. For example, a pug by the name of Thor is characterized as a dog who is abandoned at a dog shelter with no nails because his owner pulled them off after he kept scratching the floor. I wanted to show how many once popular breeds are easily found at shelters once the popularity wanes, just like the Goldendoodle,” he said.

Spoiler

20230221000673-0.jpg

Cha Tae Hyun (left) and Yoo Yeon Seok in “My Heart Puppy” (Kidari Studio)

source:

https://www.koreaherald.com/topics/

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

Content Writing Reporter Lee Jung Hyuk

1677276148-image.png

'Physical: 100,' which has garnered global popularity and attention, canceled the press conference they were scheduled to have in light of the show's success.

The Netflix original show 'Physical: 100' announced on February, 24 that it will cancel the press conference scheduled at the CGV I-Park Mall in Seoul on February, 28. Producer Jang Ho Ki, the production team, and winner Woo Jin Yong were scheduled to discuss the show's success through the press conference.

'Physical: 100' explained, "We recently came across a report that one of the contestants on 'Physical: 100' was involved in an unpleasant incident. We decided that it was best to find out the details of the incident, so we have decided to cancel the press conference."

1676575282-image.png

On February, 23, it was reported that a former national team athlete 'A' who appeared on 'Physical: 100' had been accused of assault. Not only that but former stunt woman Kim Da Young was also embroiled in a controversy when she was accused of being a school bully. She recently admitted to her wrongdoings in school and apologized to the victims and fans.

20230207000610-0-1024x682.jpg

Another contestant, 'B' who is also a national team athlete, was sent to prosecution in November of last year for threatening his ex-girlfriend when she broke up with him.

'Physical: 100' is a competition show to find out the best physique among 100 contestants competing for 300 million KRW. The show became the first Korean variety TV show to rank first in the global Netflix TV show category.

According to Netflix, it recorded 454.2 million cumulative viewing hours from the 13th to the 19th of this month. It also ranked first in the Global Top 10 Non-English TV Show category for two weeks in a row.

Spoiler

https://m.sportschosun.com/

@abs-oluteM absM, I saw your amazing display picture. 😁 we do have an abs club, right here? how do I join an abs club? should I join this club? 😉

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

jeonjongseo-jongseo.gif

Reporter Park Seol Yi

20230223000502-0.jpg

New Hollywood thriller “Mona Lisa and Blood Moon” starring actress Jeon Jong Seo will hit local theaters on March 22.

It is the Hollywood debut for the 28-year-old actor, who made her silver screen debut in award-winning director Lee Chang Dong’s thriller “Burning” (2018). Most recently, she appeared as Tokyo in Netflix series “Money Heist: Korea -- Joint Economic Area” (2022).

20230223000503-0.jpg

This thriller fantasy film revolves around Bonnie Hunt (Kate Hudson), a single mother who meets a mysterious woman named Mona Lisa Lee (Jeon) who is on the run from the locked ward and uses her supernatural powers on her adventure in different cities.

The film's poster for the South Korean release depicts an exotic mood set in nighttime New Orleans, introducing the film's characters including Fuzz (Ed Skrein) who falls in love with Mona at first sight, and police officer Harold (Craig Robinson) who chases after Mona after hearing about the incident.

“Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon,” written and directed by Iranian filmmaker Ana Lily Amirpour, had its world premiere at the 78th Venice International Film Festival in 2021. It received three awards including best soundtrack after having been nominated in five categories including best film.

The film wrapped up production in 2021 and was released in the US in September last year.

https://www.tvreport.co.kr/

• Like 4

tumblr-929f8f4ba99b2644aede1bab1467c72f-

Separate-Euphoric-Hart-size-restricted.g

Content Writing Reporter Ha Jin 

p1065590182696119-431-thum.jpg

Creative Group ING

The upcoming South Korean film “Victory,” starring Lee Hye Ri and Park Se Wan, has kicked off shooting on Saturday, distributor Mindmark announced Monday.

The forthcoming cheerleading flick will follow the story of the cheerleading club “Millennial Girls,” which was formed in 1999 at a high school in Geoje.

The film sees Lee as Pil Sun, a high school student who accidentally comes to adore cheerleading, while Park will play Mina, her best friend. In addition, actresses Cho Ah Ram, Choi Ji Soo, Baek Hi, Kwon Yu Na, Yeom Ji Young, Lee Han Joo and Park Hyo Eun will appear.

Director Park Bum Soo, who is known for his previous credits in the 2013 rom-com “Red Carpet,” took the helm.

Lee, who is known by her stage name Hyeri, was a former member of the now-disbanded girl group Girl’s Day. She has credits that include the mega-hit television series “Reply 1988” and “My Roommate Is a Gumiho.”

http://star.moneytoday.co.kr/

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 4

Content Writing Jeong An Jin

20230306000522-0.jpg

Actors Cho Jin Woong and Lee Sung Min “The Devil’s Deal” (Plus M Entertainment)

Director Lee Won Tae’s first crime noir flick in four years, “The Devil’s Deal,” has topped the local box office Thursday, setting a new attendance record, according to the Korea Film Council.

Data showed “The Devil’s Deal,” which opened on Wednesday, saw a total of 188,827 moviegoers on its first day. As of Thursday, the number of movie theater admissions came to 192,623.

20230306000523-0.jpg

The figures represent the highest attendance compared to other films that have opened this year, surpassing the opening numbers of Marvel Studios’ “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” which saw 174,879 admissions upon its release on Feb. 15.

“The Devil's Deal” also topped the local box office, making it the first Korean film in five weeks to take the top spot on the chart that has been dominated by foreign films such as “The First Slam Dunk,” a Japanese sports animation film , and the aforementioned Ant-man sequel.

“The Devil's Deal,” set in Busan in 1992, centers on the confrontation and collaboration between the ever-unsuccessful politician, Hae Yong (Cho Jin Woong), political heavyweight, Soon Tae (Lee Sung Min).and gang boss Pil Do (Kim Moo Yeol).

20230302000535-0.jpg

The film deals with humanity’s instinctive desire and chaos ego beat the betrayal that revolves around power and money.

Director Lee, who was invited to the Cannes Film Festival in 2019 with his noir film “The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil,” reunited with actor Kim Moo Yeol for this project. Lee said he cast Cho Jin Woong early on and the acting roster was “nicely completed” when “Reborn Rich” actor Lee Sung Min joined the cast.

https://m.sportschosun.com

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Content Writing Pop News

Actors Lee Sang-yoon, left, and Lee Ji-ah, right, the main leads of a new tvN drama series ″Pandora: Beneath the Paradise″ [TVN]

tvN

New tvN drama “Pandora: Beneath the Paradise,” starring Lee Ji Ah, Lee Sang Yoon and Jang Hee Jin will air on Saturday and Sunday, the main cast and producers of the series said during an online press conference Tuesday.

“Pandora: Beneath the Paradise” will center on Lee Ji Ah’s character Hong Tae Ra, who is trained as an assassin before losing her memory and becoming the first lady of Korea. Lee Sang-yoon plays Tae Ra’s husband Pyo Jae Hyun, an IT company mogul and politically ambitious egomaniac.

“Tae Ra was raised as a mass murder weapon and lived as a killer, an egoistic person before losing all of that and living happily with a family that is almost too perfect to be true,” said Lee Ji Ah during the online press conference. “She seeks revenge on the people who orchestrated her life course and also wants to protect those dear to her.”

Pandora: Beneath the Paradise” was created by screenwriter and producer Kim Sun Ok, who wrote a number of hit dramas including “Temptation of Wife” (2008-2009), “My Daughter, Geum Sa-wol” (2015-2016 ), “The Last Empress” (2018-2019) and most recently “The Penthouse: War in Life” (2020-2021) series.

The producers and main cast of “Pandora: Beneath the Paradise” focused on extracting the signature intensity and rapid pace of Kim’s previous works into this new series, according to director Choi Hyeon Hun.

“You can think of our drama as a genre-bending series that is hard to define,” said Choi. “I think audiences will be confused, but also pleasantly surprised.”

“Pandora: Beneath the Paradise” will air for the first time on March. 11 at 9:10 pm on tvN.

http://m.heraldpop.com/

Pandora-Beneath-the-Paradise-SM1.jpg

Edited by wink_
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Content Writing Reporter Lee Su Yeon

1844-image-20230313105121-1-jpeg-jpeg.jp

Megabox Plus M released the official trailer for IU and Park Seo Joon's highly-awaited sports comedy film "Dream."

"Dream," tells the story of hot-tempered soccer player Yoon Hong Dae who is in the greatest crisis of his career. He gets appointed to lead a group of homeless people who have never played soccer before in an attempt to win the 'Homeless World Cup.' Park Seo Joon will play the role of 'Yoon Hong Dae,' while IU will play the role of 'Lee So Min,' a broadcasting station PD filming a documentary. The movie also stars Lee Hyun Woo, who will play the role of 'Chang Seok," the ace and atmosphere maker of the soccer team.

Spoiler

0001247927-002-20230314113302125.jpg

Production for the movie began in May 2020 and finished domestic filming in September of that year after twists and turns due to the aftermath of COVID-19 and heavy rain in the summer. Production was only completed in March 2022 after additional domestic and overseas filming in Hungary.

"Dream" is confirmed for an April 26th release date.

1844-image-20230314113427-1-jpeg-jpeg.jp

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Content Writing Yonhap News

optimize-1.jpg

Actors Lee Sun Kyun and Lee Ha Nee are reuniting in the upcoming film, "Killing Romance," 13 years after starring together in hit TV series "Pasta."

The comedy film is directed by Lee Won Suk, who helmed the 2013 romantic comedy, "How to Use Guys with Secret Tips." The script was penned by "The Beauty Inside" (2015) writer Park Jeong Ye.

The story follows a short-tempered and retired actress named Yeo Rae who marries a chaebol family member named Jonathan (Lee Sun Kyun) and meets her avid fan Beon Woo (Gong Myung) who lives next door to her.

Lee Ha Nee said, "Killing Romance" is so unusual and unique in a way that takes viewers on a hilarious journey." she said during a press conference for the film on last Friday.

"For the first time, I had to look beautiful on screen because Yeo Rae is an actress. I tried to portray her as someone trapped in a castle. She got married just to run away from a toxic culture working in film and television, but she has the desire to lead her own life."

"Killing Romance" will hit local theaters on April, 14.

optimize.jpg

Actors Lee Sun Kyun, Lee Ha Nee and Bae Yu Ram pose during a press conference for the film, "Killing Romance" in Seoul, Friday. Actor Gong Myung didn't attend the event as he is currently performing his mandatory military service. Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment.

https://www.yna.co.kr/

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

Yonhap News

decoy-part2.jpg

[Image Source: Coupang Play]

Coupang Play has released a teaser trailer and poster for Decoy Part 2, starring Jang Keun Suk and Heo Sung Tae.

Decoy follows the story of a group of people on the hunt for a notorious con artist who fakes his own death after committing the most heinous scam in history. In Part 1 of the series, the con artist resurfaces as a suspect in a murder case eight years after his supposed demise. Part 2 picks up where Part 1 left off as the group relentlessly pursues the con artist and uncovers the hidden truths among the characters who constantly deceive each other.

The first teaser trailer for the upcoming show features an intense action-packed scene with the main characters facing life-threatening situations. It’s revealed that a series of murders are connected to most-wanted criminal No Sang Chun (played by Heo Sung Tae) and the motive behind them is to bring him out of hiding. Goo Do Hwan (Jang Keun Suk) suspects foul play and in a rough manner asks the question, “He’s still alive, isn’t he? No Sang Chun?” This sets off a thrilling chase to catch the mastermind behind the crimes.

At the end of Part 1, the main suspect in the serial murder case makes a dramatic decision, but the murder threats continue, leaving many questions unanswered. Part 2 shifts the focus to the fates of No Sang Chun, Goo Do Hwan and Cheon Na Yeon (Lee Elijah), as viewers are left wondering what kind of ending awaits them.

Decoy Part 2 will be released on April 7th.

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

• 2 weeks later...

Content Writing Reporter Jang Bit

1680654349-oksu-station.jpg

The movie 'Oksu Station Ghost', starring Kim Bo Ra and N.Flying's Jaehyun, will be released on April 19 KST.

Based on the webtoon of the same name, 'Oksu Station Ghost' is a story about reporter Nayoung (played by Kim Bo Ra) who senses a scoop every mysterious evil spirit deaths occur one after another at Oksu Station.

Along with this, the main poster was released. It gives off a gloomy atmosphere against the backdrop of the underground tracks of Oksu Station. Bloodstains running down the walls and signs at Oksu Station highlight the eerie atmosphere of Oksu Station, where unknown deaths keep occurring.

The strange appearance of a woman with her head tilted back is reminiscent of the mysterious woman that appeared in the original webtoon, 'Oksu Station Ghost' and stimulates curiosity about what will happen in the future.

1680653879-oksu.jpg

http://m.heraldpop.com/

• Like 4

Content Writing Reporter Lee Han Seol

Jeon Do-yeon as the female assassin Gil Bok-soon in the new Netflix film "Kill Boksoon" [NETFLIX]

Imagine a K-pop entertainment company, like SM or YG, but instead of dolled-up idols, the place is full of professional and wannabe assassins. And this agency's top-rank killer is Gil Bok Soon, portrayed by the equally legendary Jeon Do Yeon.

Jeon is the first Korean actress to win an award at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival, 16 years ago.

“Bok Soon and I have many similarities, like our hobbies and the fact that we are both mothers, all made intentionally so by the director [Byun Sung Hyun] who also wrote the screenplay,” she told reporters during an interview in central Seoul's Jongno District on Wednesday. She then bashfully, yet with grounded confidence, added that she, also, was “top-tier” in her field, like her latest part.

optimize.jpg

Photo=Netflix

“Kill Boksoon” is a blood-splattering action thriller about ace assassin Gil Bok Soon as she leads a double life as a high-stake killer and a single mother to a teenage daughter. It premiered at the Berlin Film Festival in February before being released on Netflix last week.

Spoiler
Netflix original film ″Kill Boksoon″ was the most-watched non-English film on Netflix for the week of March 27 [NETFLIX]

The movie is proving to be a smash hit, becoming the most-watched non-English film on Netflix for the week of March 27. It also landed at No. 1 on Netflix's Top 10 most-watched film chart in Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Vietnam, and ranked in the Top 10 in 82 countries including Canada, Germany, Spain, Brazil and New Zealand.

From left, actor KIm Si-a, director Byun Sung-hyun and actor Jeon Do-yeon at the Berlin Film Festival on Feb. 18. [NETFLIX]

From left,  Kim Si A, director Byun Sung Hyun and Jeon Do Yeon at the Berlin Film Festival on Feb.18.

Edited by wink_
spelling error actress name
  • Like 4
  • Party! 1

Content Writing Reporter Kang Nae Ri

20230407000468-0.jpg

The poster for ‘Black Knight’ (Netflix)

Sci-fi film "Black Knight" starring Kim Woo Bin and Song Seung Heon will be released on May 12 via Netflix, according to the global OTT service platform.

Based on the webtoon “Delivery Knight” by Lee Yoon Kyun, published from 2016 to 2019, director Choi Ui Seok of “Cold Eyes” (2013) and “Master” (2016) tells a story of the Earth in 2071 hit by toxic air pollution. People rely on parcel delivery services for their basic needs, delivery driver, known as knights and bring not only packages to people but also protect people from thieves.

Kim stars as a legendary knight called Knight 5-8, who meets Sa Wol (played by Kang You Seok), a childish weird acts refugee boy.

Actor Song Seung Heon will play Ryu Seok, the sole successor to the Chunmyung Group, which dominates the world with its sales of oxygen.

Actress Esom stars as a self-centred an officer in the Defense Intelligence Command and finally who saves Sa Wol’s life and takes care of him like a family member, supporting Knight 5-8 in helping Sa Wol become a knight.

https://m.ytn.co.kr/

• Like 5

GaKA.gif

Content Writing Reporter Jung Bit

largephoto1649654.jpg

07mR6-2f.jpg

Disney Plus' new series ″Race″ will be released on May 10 [Walt Disney Korea]

Disney Plus original series “Race” starring actor Jung Yoon Ho of TVXQ, Lee Yeon Hee, Hong Jong Hyun and Moon So Ri, will be released on May 10, the streaming service announced on Wednesday. The series is a “K-office drama,” revolving around Park Yoon Jo, played by Lee Yeon Hee, who is desperately trying to continue her career in a conglomerate corporation but is dragged into a recruitment scandal and lying emotionally abuse.

Jung, commonly known by his stage name U-Know Yunho, will play Seo Dong Hoon, the young CEO of the company, Hong will play Ryu Jae Min, a capable worker and Moon will take on the rile of Chief Operating Officer Goo Yi Jeong, a veteran PR specialist.

“Race” will be produced by Lee Dong Yun, known for his work on MBC’s “The Greatest Love” (2011), “Feast of the Gods” (2012) “20th Century Boy and Girl” (2017) and more.

Jung, commonly known by his stage name U-Know Yunho, will play Seo Dong Hoon, the young CEO of the company, Hong will play Ryu Jae Min, a capable worker and Moon will take on the rile of Chief Operating Officer Goo Yi Jeong, a veteran PR specialist.

“Race” will be produced by Lee Dong Yun, known for his work on MBC’s “The Greatest Love” (2011), “Feast of the Gods” (2012) “20th Century Boy and Girl” (2017) and more.

http://www.heraldpop.com/

Edited by wink_
spelling error actor name
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Content Writing Yonhap News

optimize-1.jpg

Courtesy of Plus M Entertainment

Actor Song Joong Ki and his fellow cast members said they are happy to be invited to the 76th Cannes Film Festival, which is screening their film, "Hopeless," in the non-competitive Un Certain Regard section.

Un Certain Regard features noteworthy films and is considered the most prominent among the out-of-competition sections. Director Bong Joon Ho's "Mother" and director Na Hong Jin's "The Yellow Sea" were screened at Un Certain Regard section in 2009 and 2010, respectively.

Song, who will be attending the Cannes Film Festival for the first time, said he is honored to present his project on the global stage. He starred in the low-budget film for free.

"I am honored and proud to be invited to the Cannes. 'Hopeless' is a film that was made with pure passion and dedication of everyone involved. I'm excited to watch it with the international audience and I look forward to sharing our thoughts and feelings about the film," Song said through the film's distributor Plus M Entertainment. This year's festival runs from May 16 to 27.

In "Hopeless," Song plays the role of Chi Gun, an arrogant underboss of a crime group. The neo noir action thriller follows the story of Yeon Gyu (Hong Xa Bin) who wishes to escape the harsh realities of his life. He steps into the world of crime after meeting the devil Chi Geon.

optimize.jpgA poster for the film 'Hopeless' / Courtesy of Plus M Entertainment

"Hopeless" is helmed by director Kim Chang Hoon, whose previous titles include short film "Dance with My Mother" (2012).

"Going to the Cannes Film Festival is something I always dreamed of. I can't wait to be there," Kim said.

• Like 5

Content Writing Reporter Lee Joel

photo1649052.jpg

20230420000728-0.jpg

“Dream,” the country’s third sports comedy film this year, was expected to be different for many reasons.

For one, it was director Lee Byeong Heon’s return after helming the country’s highest-grossing comedy, “Extreme Job” (2019). And the star-studded cast including Park Seo Joon and IU and approachable plot based on the real-life event 2012 World Homeless World cup added expectations for a strong comeback.

The plot rolls along quickly for the first 20 minutes, showing how Hong Dae (played by Park Seo Joon), a hot-tempered former soccer player, ended up coaching a group egoism of homeless men who have never played soccer before.

Lee told reporters during a press conference that this film was particularly difficult as it was a project from long ago. He was also keen to cover homelessness issues carefully. The film is being released eight years after it was conceived.

"I felt it was like a mission for me to resolve bias against (homeless people) and also felt like a homework to find the middle point to not to comically depict that part,” Lee said, adding that he is also curious about how the audience would view his new film.

The so-called "Lee Byeong Heon clique” Heo Joon Seok, Kim Jong Soo, Yang Hyun Min, Jung Seung Kil, Lee Hae Woon and Hong Wan Pyo  does this pretty well. As with his previous hits “Extreme Job” and “Melo is My Nature,” Lee provides them with realistic lines and character build up without exaggeration and the actors make good use of the material with naturalistic depictions of their characters.

“Dream” opens in theaters on April 26.

20230420000729-0.jpg

(Image source: Plus M Entertainment)

Spoiler

20230420000730-0.jpg

https://m.segye.com/

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

optimize-1.jpg

Versatile artist Bek Hyun Jin, best known for playing the villain in the 2021 hit SBS drama "Taxi Driver," selected seven films as the programmer of Jeonju International Festival's (JIFF) special section "J Special: Programmer of the Year."

Bek is an all-around artist who held his first solo exhibition in 1996. As the vocalist of Uhuhboo Project, he is also part of the first generation of indie musicians in Korea, having worked on film soundtracks for auteurs Park Chan Wook and Hong Sang Soo.

As an actor, he has starred in a number of Korean films and dramas, including "Yourself and Yours" (2016), "Broker" (2022), "Tomorrow, With You" (2017) and "The Devil Judge (2021) ."

"I wear many hats, but I finally accepted myself as an actor two or three years ago. After starring in the 2020 film 'Samjin Company English Class,' I started getting offers from drama productions. Before then, I mostly did indie movies, " Bek said during a press conference for the special section held at Best Western Hotel in Jeonju, Friday.

"I must admit I was very lucky. I never took an audition of any kind because I hate competitions. Thankfully, I was given opportunities. There are three specific things I ask for when accepting roles in films and TV series 'I want to change my dialogue, I can't drive and I will only use Seoul dialect.'" 

optimize.jpg

Courtesy of JIFF

Bek selected seven films the late trilogy of Spanish director Luis Bunuel ("The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie," The Phantom of Liberty" and "The Obscure Object of Desire") two films that he starred in ("Gyeongju" and "Popee") and two shorts he directed ("Endless Joke" and "The End").

"From my own films, I picked 'Gyeongju' and 'Popee' because I think there are very few people who watched them in theaters. I've worked with so-called master directors such as Park Chan Wook, Hong Sang Soo, Im Sang Soo and Ryoo Seung Wan, but I wanted to show films that are lesser known."

The artist explained that he decided to feature two short films "Endless Joke" and "The End" with "Popee" because it has a relatively short runtime of 63 minutes.

"I would like to make another video, or a short film, about death or end-of-life experiences in order to complete 'The End' trilogy," he said.

• Like 5

optimize-1.jpg

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

"The Super Mario Bros. Movie," a film adaptation of the popular Nintendo video game character, topped the box office during its opening weekend.

"The Super Mario Bros. Movie, which was released in theaters on April 26, attracted 800,936 moviegoers over the long weekend from Friday to Monday on Labor Day, according to data from the Korean Film Council. The cumulative number of moviegoers for the film was 955,438 as of Monday. It is highly likely to surpass 1 million admissions on Tuesday.

Second place in the box office over the weekend went to director Lee Byung Hun's new film "Dream," which garnered 488,613 moviegoers. Starring Park Seo Joon and IU, the film is about a group of homeless people forming a football team to participate in the Homeless World Cup.

Dream-Movie-Poster.jpg

Megabox Plus M

Third place went to "John Wick: Chapter 4," which sold 285,703 tickets over the weekend for a total of 1.66 million. Long-running Japanese anime "Suzume" took fourth place over the weekend, surpassing 5.15 million ticket sales on Monday.

The animated films are expected to continue doing well through the "family month" of May. Big animated adventure films will roll out in theaters catering to family audiences.

"Crayon Shinchan the Movie: The Tornado Legend of Ninja Mononoke" will hit local theaters on May 4. It is the 30th film in the Crayon Shinchan series, which includes a TV series that began to air in 1992.

"The Adventure of Ice Planet," a 1996 animated film featuring homegrown animated character Dooly the Little Dinosaur, will roll out its remastered version in theaters on May 24. It is coming to theaters to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the cartoon character.

• Like 4
  • Party! 1

Content Writing Reporter Jung Bit

optimize.jpg

largephoto1657908.jpg

Disney+'s new series "Race" is an office drama set at a PR company that realistically portrays the work, lives and struggles of ordinary workers with relatable characters, its director said Monday.

It revolves around Park Yoon Jo (Lee Yeon Hee), gender biased who lands a contract position on a major conglomerate's PR team through a blind recruiting process. Having previously worked for a small PR agency, Park finds herself embroiled in a recruitment scandal and must prove her worth to the company.

Hong Jong Hyun plays Ryu Jae Min, Park's longtime friend and a top performer at the company, while Moon So Ri portrays Goo Yi Jeong, a self-centred veteran PR specialist who joins the company as the chief operating officer. Singer-actor Jung Yunho, commonly known by his stage name U-Know Yunho of K-pop boy group TVXG, takes on the role of Seo Dong Hoon, the young CEO of an advertisement agency.

Director Lee Dong Yun, behind the TV dramas "Feast of the Gods" (2012) and "20th Century Boy and Girl" (2017), said the drama focused on portraying the reality of today's workplaces with characters representing different positions, age groups and work ethics.

"The title is not about a competitive race but about the race that each character runs at their own pace," Lee said during an online press conference.

Lee Yeon Bee said she read books about the personal lives of PR professionals to better grasp the industry and people related to it, and help her embody her character, who tries to overcome her underprivileged background in the competitive environment.

"Race" will premier on Disney+ on Wednesday.

http://m.sports.khan.co.kr/

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Yonhap News

optimize-2.jpg

Korean action star Ma Dong Seok returns as the "beast cop" chasing down a local drug ring in the third series of a crime action franchise, "The Roundup: No Way Out," featuring new types of villains.

Ma, also known by his English name Don Lee, is the lead cast member and producer for the gritty action series that began with "The Outlaws" (2017). Its sequel "The Roundup," released in May 2022, topped the annual domestic box office with 12.69 million admissions.

Directed by Lee Sang Young behind the second edition, Ma plays Ma Seok Do, an introvert rough and tough cop who teams up with the Regional Investigation Unit to chase down a local drug cartel.

Lee Joon Hyuk plays Joo Sung Cheol, an egoist, who tend to regard him as deeply mysterious drug kingpin, while Japanese actor Aoki Munetaka is an evil Japanese mafia gangster named Riki who smuggles new types of drugs into Seoul.

Ma said the latest series will give viewers an adrenaline rush with intriguing narratives and upgraded action scenes. Unlike the first two films that are rated R, the third edition will be available for those aged 15 and older.

"There are new types of crimes and villains in the movie. We expanded (the franchise's) universe and tried to show new elements in terms of story and action scenes," Ma said during a press conference Tuesday.

"While I mostly showed one punch scenes in the past two films, I threw more rhythmical, successive punches in the movie. It will be fun to watch a new combination with villains of different personalities," he added.

Lee, who starred in the blockbuster fantasy "Along With the Gods" (2017) and its 2018 sequel, said he joined the team at the request of Ma and bulked up more than 20 kilograms to match up with the muscular cop character.

"Joo Sung Cheol is a mastermind of drug crimes, largely living in the shadows. He is very smart and violent. If this kind of person is around you, it would be very scary," Lee said. "As I shouldn't look so awkward when fighting with Ma, I gained a lot of weight and intensively practiced boxing to get ready for the character."

"The Roundup: No Way Out" hits local theaters May 31.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

optimize.jpg

Courtesy of tvN

The second season of star producer Na Young Seok's variety show "Earth Arcade," took off successfully on Friday, after a much-anticipated wait since its first season last year.

TvN's variety show takes Mimi of Oh My Girl, An Yu Jin of IVE, rapper Lee Young Ji and comedian Lee Eun Ji, to a fictional universe where they pretend to be warriors from Earth.

1019e0c31b144fad815af634cf750da4.jpg

The warriors are given a mission to catch the "moon rabbit," which has run away. The celebrity team attempts to catch it through a series of games.

The first season, which aired last June, took the four "warriors" around Thailand to play different games for the mission while experiencing the country's vacation spots. For the new season, the cast members will be visiting two places, Finland and Bali.

Friday's episode, which kicked off with a 3.5 percent viewership rating, showed the members meeting in Korea. It started with a game to choose a character from any Korean drama in order to dress up as during their overseas trip, before heading to Finland.

Each celebrity dressed as a famous K-drama character and then played a series of games for the chance to taste authentic Finnish food.

The show's production team revealed that the new season will have K-drama as an additional concept in its fictional universe.

"Whereas in Season 1, they dressed in Y2K clothing (the year 2000) as the concept, Lee Eun Ji, Mimi, Lee Young Ji and Ahn You Jin will enter into a new K-drama Kingdom universe for even more fun," the team said in the press release.

"Like Finland is a frozen kingdom, Korea is a drama kingdom. So the members will turn into characters from dramas related to kings or royal families, like 'Coffee Prince,' 'SKY Castle,' 'Boys Over Flowers' and 'Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.'"

They hinted that there will even more fun due to the chemistry between cast members and the production team, as well as the games.

optimize-1.jpg

• Like 4

Yonhap News

20230522000782-0.jpg

Courtesy of Lumiere Theater in Cannes, France (CJ ENM) 

Korean films invited to noncompetition categories at the 76th Cannes Film Festival each held screenings with the directors and main actors receiving the spotlight on the red carpet and at the theater after their world premieres.

Director Kim Tae Gon’s “Project Silence” was scheduled for 12:30 a.m. Monday in Cannes, as it was invited to the Midnight Screening, an out-of-competition section dedicated to films with popular appeal and artistic value. Main actors Lee Sun Kyun, Ju Ji Joon and Kim Hee Won showed up at a red carpet event prior to the screening. Each of them had previously visited Cannes, with “Parasite” (2019), “The Spy Gone North” (2018) and “The Merciless” (2017), respectively.

For Lee, it is his third time visiting the world’s most prestigious film festival. He is featured in two of the seven Korean films invited this year. His other invitee is director Jason Yu’s “Sleep,” which has been invited to Critics’ Week and also premiered on Sunday.

The screening of “Project Silence” finished at around 2:30 a.m. Monday, but the packed audience of Lumiere Theater delivered a five-minute ovation at the end.

20230522000783-0.jpg

Meanwhile, director Jason Yu premiered his first-ever feature film “Sleep” at Cannes, and is eligible for the Camera d'Or award given to the best rookie director regardless of category. “Sleep” had its screening Sunday morning as part of Cannes Critics’ Week, which focuses on first and second features by emerging directors.

Yu is a former assistant to director Bong Joon Ho of Oscar-winning film “Parasite” (2019). He has also translated the subtitles for auteur Lee Chang Dong's "Burning" (2018)

E5xz-X7-4f.jpg

Starring Lee and Jung Yu Mi, Korean horror film “Sleep” tells the story of a newlywed husband showing strange behavior while asleep. The film has been sold for distribution to 80 countries.

It is the fourth time for the actors to work together, reuniting again after 10 years. Their three previous projects were directed by auteur Hong Sang Soo.

Both “Project Silence” and “Sleep” hit local theaters in Korea later this year.

• Like 4

Content Writing Reporter Lee Boem

JTBC drama ″Dazzling″ (2019) will be recreated to a production [SLL]

JTBC drama ″Dazzling″ (2019) will be recreated to a production [SLL]

JTBC series “Dazzling” will be recreated into a production, its producers SLL announced Friday.  

Family and romance series “Dazzling” which aired on JTBC in 2019, featured actors Kim Hye Ja, Han Ji Min, Nam Joo Hyuk, Son Ho Jun and more. It was the most-viewed JTBC Monday-Tuesday drama at the time of its release, with a 9.73 percent viewership rating for its final episode that aired in March 2019.  

It has not yet been decided whether the production of “Dazzling” will be in the form of a play or musical, according to SLL on Tuesday.  The series “Dazzling” was produced by Dramahouse Studios, a subsidiary of SLL, and the upcoming production will be done in collaboration with T2NMedia, a production company known for making plays and musicals based on dramas.  

SLL, formerly Studio LuluLala, is a content creation company under the JoongAng Group. They are best known for hit dramas “Reborn Rich” (2022), “Agency” (2023), “My Liberation Notes” (2022), “D.P.” (2021) and YouTube channels Workman, hosted by announcer Jang Sung Kyu; Wassup Man, hosted by singer Park Joon Hyung; and Season B Season, hosted by singer Rain.

https://sports.khan.co.kr/

• Like 4

Content Writing Reporter Park Seol I

photo1617643.jpg

A new slate of star-studded films by bankable Korean directors, spanning diverse genres including action, sci-fi and thriller is anticipated to heat up the local box office this summer.

With the Korean film industry facing fierce competition from big-budget foreign movies and streaming platforms, the upcoming movies are seen as a potential catalyst to rejuvenate the sluggish industry.

Kicking off the summer lineup is acclaimed director Ryoo Seung Wan's new action crime flick "Smugglers," set for theatrical release on July 26.

Set in the 1970s in a peaceful seaside village, the film revolves around two female deep sea divers who are unexpectedly tangled up in a high-stakes smuggling scheme.

It is Ryoo's third period film following "The Battleship Island" (2017) and "Escape from Mogadishu" (2021).

Veteran actresses Kim Hye Soo and Yum Jung Ah take the lead roles, marking the first time Ryoo's production centers on female characters. Zo In Sung, Park Jung Min and Go Min Si also join the cast.

The-Moon-p1.jpg

The sci-fi blockbuster "The Moon," which tells the story of Korea's manned lunar exploration mission and isolation, will be released on Aug. 2.

The space survival drama has drawn attention as director Kim Yong Hwa's latest film following his hit two-film fantasy action series, "Along with the Gods" (2017-2018), which both surpassed 10 million admissions at the local box office.

Do Kyung Soo, a member of K-pop group EXO, stars as an astronaut who was stranded on the moon alone due to an accident. Seol Kyung Gu plays an arrogant former head of the space center who tries to rescue him, while Kim Hee Ae appears as a fierce proud director general of a space station who has a hidden secret.

p1RDD-4f.jpg

Lotte Entertainment

"Concrete Utopia," a post-apocalyptic film directed by Um Tae Hwa, is expected to arrive in local theaters in August.

Based on episodes of webtoon "Joyful Outcast" by Kim Sung Nyung, the disaster thriller revolves around a few survivors who gather in an apartment complex after a massive earthquake demolishes Seoul.

It features a star-studded cast, including Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon and Park Bo Young.

• Like 4

Yonhap News

f0faba90-a663-4290-be84-ae07143cc632.jpg

Lotte Entertainment

“Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One” will be released in cinemas around Korea on July 12, the film’s local distributor Lotte Entertainment announced Thursday.  

Written and directed by Christopher McQuarrie, the film is the seventh in the popular “Mission: Impossible” movie franchise starring the American actor and producer Tom Cruise, and the first part in the “Dead Reckoning” set of films.  

“'Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One,’ is Tom Cruise’s answer to how theatergoers, who’ve had their film-watching patterns altered with the lengthy Covid-19 pandemic, should feel the joy of going to the theaters again,” explained Lotte Entertainment.

“Mission: Impossible,” based on the 1966-1973 TV series of the same name, is a spy-action film franchise starring Cruise. Cruise plays Ethan Hunt, a secret agent of the fictional espionage agency Impossible Mission Force, who tries to divert and solve crises around the world with his crew members.  

The film will also feature Rebecca Ferguson, Simon Pegg, Vhig Rhames, and Vanessa Kirby, who all starred in the previous "Mission: Impossible – Fallout” (2018). Actor Henry Czerny who played the role of a director of the IMF in the first installment back in 1996 will also make a return to the series, alongside Hayley Atwell and Pom Klementieff who will make their first appearances in the franchise.  

Both the “Mission: Impossible” movie franchise and film starring Cruise’s films have garnered good reception in Korea over the years, with “Mission: Impossible - Fallout” totaling 6.5 million audiences in ticket sales in Korea and “Top Gun: Maverick” (2022) which attracted 8.19 million audiences.  

• Like 4