Uncle 엉클 [2021-22]

UNCLE 엉클

Based on the BBC sitcom of the same name.

pZqJe_4c.jpg

Broadcast Station: TV Chosun

Schedule: second half 2021

About the Show: Joon Hyeok is an unpopular musician whose life has hit rock bottom. He had already broken off his relationship with his older sister, Joon Hee, when her son appeared before him. His nephew developed Obsessive–compulsive disorder after his mother divorced his stepfather. Joon Hyeok takes his nephew in and looks after him. Joon Hee divorced her physically abusive husband after 12 years of marriage. She moved into an inexpensive apartment and now faces losing custody of her son to her ex-husband and his mother. Hye Ryeong is a tenant at The Royal State, an expensive apartment complex, where she is the much-respected President of The Mothers’ Committee. Committee member Yoo Ra very much admires Hye Ryeong. Yoo Ra was raised by her widowed father Kyeong Il a man with a sweet and warm personality. (Source: AsianWiki) 

Genres:  Music,  Comedy,  Drama

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

BASIC INFORMATION

Production: -

Episodes: 16

Director: Ji Young Soo (Flowers for My Life, Room No.9)
Screenwriters: Park Ji Sook (The Spring Day of My Life)

Official Website: 

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Main Cast

Oh Jung Se  >>  Wang Joon Hyuk

Jeon Hye Jin  >>  Wang Joon Hee

Park Sun Young  >>  Park Hye Ryeong

Hwang Woo Seul Hye   >>  Kim Yu Ra

Lee Sang Woo  >>  Joo Gyeong Il

Supporting Cast

Lee Si Won  >>  Song Hwa Rum

Jang Hee Ryung  >>  Jang Yeon Joo

OFFICIAL TRAILER

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love the teasers! Am thrilled to see OJS in a leading role, having first been introduced to him as the innocuous Jung Goo-yeong in Jirisan, followed by the despicable Kim Young-dae in Mistress, both of which showcase his amazing range. Can't wait!

• Awesome 1
  • Party! 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Really enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes, with a good combination of comedy and heartwarming moments, explaining the backstories briskly so that by the end of it, we are all set for the next chapter of the narrative - with WJH in the know what his sister and nephew endured be it at the hands of the in-laws, or the elitist parents and children of the residential complex. The preview shows WJH geared up to rally support for himself to be elected the Blue Bird, which apparently carries a lot of clout in the community. I love too that every single snobbish family has skeletons in the closet, which is played to amusingly ominous effect. Thus far, the show does not take itself seriously, hence the moments that do deliver that much more impact - imagining himself shielding his sister's eyes as she shielded the younger him from the painful harsh reality, and sneak-taking the photo of his newborn nephew. Suffice to say I am loving what we are given so far, and look forward to more.

The official MVs for the first two OSTs, both of which are sung by Chu Sangmin... OJS does an excellent job lip-syncing to Chu Sangmin's singing :wow:

Part 1 - On the Beach

Part 2 - Be Your Side. Love this one!

Edited by liddi
  • Heart Eyes 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

OST Part 3 Bluebird is out. Can't wait for Ep3!

• Heart Eyes 1

• 3 weeks later...

OST#7 - Butterfly (I love the idea of having the kids take part in writing the lyrics) 

@liddi Seems like there are only the two of us watching here... LOL... What do you think is the real identity of Joo Kyung Il (No-Eul's father)? I think that's what most viewers are curious about. Is he really an insurance scammer who killed off wives? I think he's just made to seem shady but he really is not? I can't imagine what will happen to No-Eul if the story decides to go dark on his character... I think his job is probably a rather confidential one, involving the police and prosecutors. That's why he'd rather not say properly and just disguised it as webtoon artist. The way he was able to draw the composite sketch so well... 

Urgh, that Park Hye Ryung is just such an atrocious person, and a terrible mother too! I can't believe she actually wanted to let her daughter die. Really, if the nurse didn't knock the door in time, she would've sent her daughter to death already.  

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama Oh dear, it does really look like we're the only ones watching! The plot evolves very fast, and I really like that there isn't any excessive dragging out of conflicts and obstacles. Was very surprised that the Park Hye-ryeong arc appears to be over by Ep8 based on Ji-hoo's voiceover and I think the last 4 episodes will focus on the confrontation with the grandmother. Park Hye-ryeong is a nasty character determined to maintain her image and status even if she had to break the law to do it. Thankfully, her ignominious end set a new precedent whereby school management are now less inclined to cave in to the Momvelies' obnoxious demands, which is a turn for the better. Still, it appears that Ji-hoo's grandmother will soon have the Momvelies at her beck and call, so we shall see how that pans out.

I seriously doubt Joo Kyung-il will turn out to be anyone sinister, after everything we have seen of him. He reminds me a little of Han Sang-joon in Mistress, so I think his backstory might turn out to be similar. He does appear to be well-connected among the police and prosecutors. Is he investigating shading dealings related to Congressman Hwang and the community here? Not sure yet how the insurance and investigation documents he was shredding are related unless he was wrongfully accused of possible fraud with regards to his wife's insurance. 

Like you, I love the song the children sang, a letter to their parents, each taking turns in the spotlight. Truly beautiful. 

Overall, the story is enjoyable without taking itself too seriously, though it sometimes does veer into slapstick territory. Hope it continues to be good to the end. 

Edited by liddi
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, liddi said:

I seriously doubt Joo Kyung-il will turn out to be anyone sinister, after everything we have seen of him. He reminds me a little of Hang Sang-joon in Mistress, so I think his backstory might turn out to be similar. He does appear to be well-connected among the police and prosecutors. Is he investigating shading dealings related to Congressman Hwang and the community here? Not sure yet how the insurance and investigation documents he was shredding are related unless he was wrongfully accused of possible fraud with regards to his wife's insurance. 

Yeah, I am hoping he will play a role in helping Ji Hoo and his mother escape for good from the clutches of his grandmother.

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Min Gi mom won't appear anymore, but noo she was the master mind behind the grandma action to be Ji Hoo legal guardian. Seriously that grandma is really a worst person. Can't she just praise Ji Hoo even only for a little? He sacrificed so much to gain and reach the title she wants him to have. Tsk tsk. 

I really hope for the remaining 4 episodes we will get satisfactory punishment for the evils and egoistic people.. 

On 1/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, liddi said:

@ktcjdrama Oh dear, it does really look like we're the only ones watching

I am watching the series as well, but just not really active on forum to comment. I thought there's no thread available for it until I scan through few pages. Are you and @ktcjdrama still watching the series?

• Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

49 minutes ago, LaLa said:

Are you and @ktcjdrama still watching the series?

Yes, I am still watching. 

I kinda knew Min Gi’s mother will come back because she was out too early and the actress/character is listed as main role in MDL. 

52 minutes ago, LaLa said:

I really hope for the remaining 4 episodes we will get satisfactory punishment for the evils and egoistic people.. 

Yes to this! I really cannot stand those snobbish people. 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

8 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes to this! I really cannot stand those snobbish people.

In the preview for tomorrow episodes, it looks like both the grandma and Min Gi mom are against eachother and the grandma seems want to wash her hands by saying that she only did what Park said to her. But I really hope that Joon Hyuk will be able to trick both devil and deliver their undue punishment. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

@LaLa @ktcjdrama Yes I'm still watching too, though the high drama with the grandma and momvelies started wearing me down. Am still persevering... don't know why I thought it was a 12-episoder, so imagine my surprise when we hit Ep12 with no end in sight yet.

18 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I kinda knew Min Gi’s mother will come back because she was out too early and the actress/character is listed as main role in MDL. 

@ktcjdrama After The Veil, I learnt not to trust that a character listed as a main role will actually stay around until the end. Still cannot get over SSY's exit 5eps in :shocked2: But yes, unfortunately, Park Hye-ryeong is back. Wondering whether she will end up with a redeeming arc. I may be mistaken but I get the feeling that this drama is more inclined to give everyone a 2nd chance, even the nastiest ones. And while I dislike her, I really feel sorry for Min-gi if his family breaks up even more than it already has.

• Haha 2