2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics [July 23rd-August 8th]

Tofu

I'm quite excited to watch the match for Olympics.. I think it's almost a year since I haven't watched any international match for badminton and I'm excited to see and root for all players (especially my favourite one). 

Other than the usual player from Asia, it's surprisingly fun to see some players outside the one in the top 20 to play and give their all out performance for a chance for medal. 

Other than badminton I also enjoy watching several matches that I watched last Saturday. I quite enjoy watching the archery match than I thought. The mixed team from Korea who won their first gold, they are still so young. The male is 17 years old! (Or was it 16?) and his female partner is just 20 years old. 

poke @SnowBlob unnie we got a thread for Olympics here if you are interested.. 

@abs-oluteM I'm sad to hear that Goh and Chan lost their 2 matches from group elimination stage :nervous: They're the Silver medalist of Rio 2016. Is this Olympics going to be their last? :letalQQ:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

4 hours ago, LaLa said:

@abs-oluteM I'm sad to hear that Goh and Chan lost their 2 matches from group elimination stage :nervous: They're the Silver medalist of Rio 2016. Is this Olympics going to be their last? :letalQQ:

Really sad...not sure if this will be their last. But they are already in early 30s ...and it won't be easy to keep fitness form as you age. I miss Lee Chong Wei. 

Got some good news but still too early for us to celebrate or medal hopes

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

On 7/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, Tofu said:

Haha! I hope it doesn't happen because it puts a lot of people at risk if they are careless. I read that about 80% of people living in Japan are against the Olympics. I don't blame them because it's a small country and they will be having around 10,000 athletes and 70,000+ media personnels. 

I don't blame those citizens at all. It's a huge risk to the country :psweatduck: But I also understand why they went ahead with it I guess. If they hadn't had built the facilities etc, cancelling would have made so much sense. But they must have had a lot of pressure externally too.  I hope all the guests follow the rules and that the Japanese have lots of systems in place to contain any outbreaks.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:40 PM, im0202 said:

My favourite sports to watch are Artistic Gymnastics and Swimming!

My cheap thrill is trying to identify the flags before they show/announce the name as the contingents walk out😂 Always had a thing for matching flags to country names.

My faves too! Australia generally does well at Swimming so always nice to see wins there! :Party01:

The women's 400m today was such a watch! Ariarne caught up and surpassed in the last 50m to win gold...how do they have such energy at the very end??? I'm always amazed :pandachamp:

On 7/23/2021 at 10:49 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Don't watch much ...the only one that usually catches my interest is badminton.

One for Team Malaysia

Hahaha, this one is Malaysia's speciality! :Party02:

23 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Rackets boys and girls giving their support for Olympics

Haha, I've got Peru v. Estonia's badminton match running in the background at the moment.

I feel guilty - I missed the Opening ceremony because I was watching Rackets Boys Netflix "olympics" :laugh: Oh well, I'll catch up on highlights sometimes soon.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 5
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

My fav of course badminton (but I really do wanna watch some men volleyball too - hopefully one day before Olympics ends). 

Just finished watching my fav badminton players won against their nemesis... the Daddies vs the Korean pair. The Daddies won after playing 3 sets and so they secured their place in the quarter final :wow::CharmanderOK:

These are my fav players:

The Daddies - MD no 2

Minions - MD no 1

Lee Yang/Wang Chi Lin - MD no 3

Hiroyuki Endo/Yuta Watanabe - MD no 4 

(ok wow..I got all the top 4 as my fav). As per current standing, still unsure whether the world no 3 is going to make it to the quarter final. I hope they will... but if they don't..then it's a good thing for the Indonesians : D Edit: world no 3 is making it to the quarter final.. Congrats!

I also like 

Greysia Poli/Rahayu - WD no 7

Momota Kento - MS no 1 

Although I'm not their fan, but I root for them to win gold media in XD - Praveen Jordan/Melati XD no 4. TBH...they're not playing that well~~ 

That's all folk. GAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAH

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@im0202 that’s bad . It really reflects their world view . 

Anyhow, this swimmer is the talk of the town in Msia because netizens from China & Msia think he’s cute . 

His dream girl / ideal type : attractive, no need to be skinny ( he doesn’t mind a plump girl )  durian & meat lover :smug:

https://www.iloveborneo.my/cerita-menarik-dari-borneo/mesti-suka-durian-ketahui-4-ciri-ciri-wanita-idaman-perenang-olimpik-asal-sarawak-welson-sim/

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

@abs-oluteM Hahahahahaha!! That's hilarious but I agreed, he's not bad looking. 

@im0202 That's pretty insensitive. Who okayed that anyway? Couldn't they put a map of where the country is located instead?

This is super cute!! When I was 13yrs old, I was probably still watching cartoons. :letalQQ:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
9 hours ago, im0202 said:

E.g. Pizza for Italy, salmon for Norway, Drcula for Romania, upheaval for Haiti and Chernobyl for Ukraine.

Can’t believe someone got paid to do this and a bunch of others must have approved the images as well?! Insane.

Wow, this is so wrong on so many levels. It's full of stereotypes and also the types of images selected :lettalKWA: ...if it was just food and holiday locations, fine - it's like they're introducing the places themselves. But the way that it's horrible things for certain countries is really bad and narrow minded :pandacop:

8 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Anyhow, this swimmer is the talk of the town in Msia because netizens from China & Msia think he’s cute. His dream girl / ideal type : attractive, no need to be skinny ( he doesn’t mind a plump girl )  durian & meat lover :smug:

https://www.iloveborneo.my/cerita-menarik-dari-borneo/mesti-suka-durian-ketahui-4-ciri-ciri-wanita-idaman-perenang-olimpik-asal-sarawak-welson-sim/

Whoa, I'm crushing on him already because he says girls don't have to be skinny :wow::laugh:

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

This is super cute!! When I was 13yrs old, I was probably still watching cartoons. 

Yeah, nothing like the Olympics to make you feel like you haven't achieved much :laugh:...all these 13-17 years olds already getting gold medals...and then there's me, an adult, double some of their ages, struggling not to make my tea too hot or to spill it while I watch them perform on TV :brb::letalQQ:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, JenL said:

Yeah, nothing like the Olympics to make you feel like you haven't achieved much ...all these 13-17 years olds already getting gold medals...and then there's me, an adult, double some of their ages, struggling not to make my tea too hot or to split in while I watch them perform on TV 

:lmao2:

I told my mom that she might not want to watch the Olympics because I can't be having her compared me to everyone else on there. :nervous:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
On 7/25/2021 at 6:15 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Really sad...not sure if this will be their last. But they are already in early 30s ...and it won't be easy to keep fitness form as you age. I miss Lee Chong Wei. 

Got some good news but still too early for us to celebrate or medal hopes

someone like Lee Chong Wei is not easy to come by.....he is a legend for us in Msia lols

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

I told my mom that she might not want to watch the Olympics because I can't be having her compared me to everyone else on there. :nervous:

er u werent train to be in sports right? lols

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Tofu @NiteWalker If they're not young and talented....then they are multi-talented? How are some of these people lawyers/ dentists / university professors and also Olympians?! :lettalKWA:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristenharris1/olmpic-athletes-day-jobs?d_id=2440585&ref=bftwbuzzfeed&utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bftwbuzzfeed

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

All of these overachievers. :letalQQ:

Don't worry @Tofu...I choose to believe we also could have been Olympians, but we sacrificed that to watch dramas :cool:

Hahaha, does that make me feel better? I'm not sure.... :thinking::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Awesome 1

@JenL They should have a medal for drama watching. Haha! :laugh:

Super proud of Sunisa for winning gold! Her family members are really sweet, met a few before. I once walked by her while attending the same wedding. Hahahahaha!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Anyone watching badminton? I was just watching Lee Zii Jia play Chen Long. Was hoping the Malaysian (lower seeding) could pull off an upset because it’s kinda boring to always have China vs China finals 😅😂

He started off so strong and was so close to take the second game too but couldn’t and in the end I felt Chen Long’s experience proved too much in the third game, where LZJ made many unforced errors. Nevertheless, what a great match! 

On another note, Athletics starts tomorrow! :pandahappy:

• Like 3
  • Star Struck 1
  • Party! 1
19 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@JenL They should have a medal for drama watching. Haha! :laugh:

Super proud of Sunisa for winning gold! Her family members are really sweet, met a few before. I once walked by her while attending the same wedding. Hahahahaha!!

Wow :pandachamp: Her performance was really good in the team competitions too, especially since she had to do an unexpected routine to replace Simone Biles  :wow:  Wow, that's so cool that you've seen her before in real life and kind of know her family. Haha, I have no connections to athletes as far as I know. 

I like watching gymnastics though Australia doesn't ever really make it into those finals. But swimming is good. We seem to have amazing swimmers who somehow find energy in the last 50m to beat everyone :wow2:

20 minutes ago, im0202 said:

Anyone watching badminton? I was just watching Lee Zii Jia play Chen Long. Was hoping the Malaysian (lower seeding) could pull off an upset because it’s kinda boring to always have China vs China finals 😅😂

I keep missing Malaysia badminton matches! I saw Women's Doubles Quarter-finals where Korea beat Japan. It was an intense match too. The final game ended up being 28 to 26 since each team kept catching up to the other :BulbaConfused:

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

@im0202 Both @SnowBloband I are talking about the badminton match separately hahaha.. She has the time while on the other hand I mostly just watched the love score board because all of the matches happened during work hours... And I'm always wfo so no chances to watch the matches :letalQQ:

Yesterday matches were a shocking one to see top ranking of men singles lost against their fellow athletes who are not the favourites to win based on their statistics meeting. But it proved that statistics won't always true. 

Today another shocking from doubles team with the Top 1 MD and WD lost their matches. It's going to be interesting to see who will win the medals. I personally wish for Daddies to go to final and win the gold medals.. 

For women singles, it still going as expected.. Until now the pressure and curse (?) of Olympics haven't affected the women double yet.. 

14 minutes ago, JenL said:

The final game ended up being 28 to 26 since each team kept catching up to the other :BulbaConfused:

I think I have watched men double played until 30 vs 31 hahahaha.. It's a very intense games

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

55 minutes ago, im0202 said:

He started off so strong and was so close to take the second game too but couldn’t and in the end I felt Chen Long’s experience proved too much in the third game, where LZJ made many unforced errors. Nevertheless, what a great match! 

On another note, Athletics starts tomorrow! :pandahappy:

Sad that he lost but Msians are proud of him....he was trending on my twitter for hours

Tell you what is really funny...so someone found this old tweet of his . Dunno if this was his handle but I think it was before he became a national athlete...:lmao2:

And this ...our number one sport 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LaLa said:

Both @SnowBloband I are talking about the badminton match separately hahaha.. She has the time while on the other hand I mostly just watched the love score board because all of the matches happened during work hours... And I'm always wfo so no chances to watch the matches 

Hahaha I feel you too! I’m missing out on most of the Swimming programme as they take place during my work hours. I can barely even glance at my phone during work hours so can’t even check live scores 😣

When I rush back from work, I’ll tune in to mainly Artistic gymnastics, swimming or badminton. Then one whole day is gone by then😅

That’s why I’m happy the weekends are almost here! I’m all ready to watch the Games the entire weekend :pandapopcorn: (plus my current weekend drama hehe)

• Like 4

@JenL Australia have great swimmers! After Michael Phelps, I don't think I know any USA swimmers or have paid attention to that sport. :psweatduck:

One thing I'm really happy to see is the amount of first time gold medals (even medals in general) for many countries!! :pandachamp:

I mentioned Sunisa Lee earlier, but applauds for the silver medalist too because she's incredible! She was the only one representing Brazil because their team failed to qualify. 

A bit of what she had to go through to get to the Olympics: 

In her absence, the Brazilian team failed to qualify for the Olympics, and she needed to clinch a spot as an individual. She went to Baku, Azerbaijan, for her first meet back after injury in March 2020 for a World Cup event. During qualifying, she finished in second place on beam and in third place on bars, advancing to the event finals on both. But, like so many global sporting events during that month, the meet was canceled before any of the finals could get underway. Her comeback was paused yet again, and this time, indefinitely.

Her last shot was at the Pan American Championships in which the top two finishers would earn two of the final spots.

She won the all-around by more than four points.

Without her teammates by her side, Andrade qualified to the all-around final in second place, behind only Simone Biles. 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31912702/how-brazilian-gymnast-rebeca-andrade-went-last-minute-qualifier-olympic-medalist

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1