2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics [July 23rd-August 8th]

Tofu

Losing respect for South Korean men after reading about their fuss about An San's hair.  She's an absolutely brilliant archer, only 20 years old, and completely cool under pressure. And, she won an individual gold medal for SK, plus helped win 2 other gold medals (Women's Team, Mixed Team). They should be singing her praise as a goddess of archery rather than criticizing her hair length. Grrrr. What is wrong with those guys???

I've already been irritated with the SK press because they go on and on about the Men's Team but wasn't saying much about the Women's Team, despite the women having more success than the men in Archery over the years.

Let's take a look at the 2 teams in 2020 Olympics, shall we?

SK Women's Archery Team

1 Individual Gold Medal

1 Team Gold Medal

1 Mixed Gold Medal

SK Men's Archery Team

1 Team Gold Medal

1 Mixed Gold Medal

0 Individual Medals of any color

I think both teams did really well, but I think that An San is a total goddess!

Oh, and btw, the SK women have won gold medal in EVERY Olympic Team Competition since they started having team competitions in archery as an event.

Thanks for starting this thread @Tofu. Sorry it took me awhile to get here. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Just need to do a bit of an appreciation for Caeleb Dressel. He is America's fastest swimmer right now! Plus, he has abs.

Olympic Swimmer Caeleb Dressel Teams With Speedo for First Sponsorship – WWD

So far, he's won gold medals in the 100 m freestyle, 100 m butterfly, and the Men's 4x100 freestyle relay, and has 2 more races to swim: the 50 m freestyle and the Men's 4x100 medley. Go Caeleb! 

(Tagging @abs-oluteMto check out his abs. LOL)
  • Haha 3

@LaLa

:duckhide: :duckhide::duckhide:  Daddies' final Olympics and no medal for these legends. There'll be no pair like them ever in a very longggg time. I'll miss them when one day they retire.. TT_TT. To have most of the MD medalists say that they're their idols said something. 

@abs-oluteM  :duckhide: gahahahhaha.... Congrats to M'sia. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Sad 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Whew! Just caught up on reading this thread, though sad it was so short. So...

I'm watching a lot of badminton because of Racket Boys! Though lost a bit of interest when it became China v China. Prior to that, though, was amazed at the skill. Who are the Daddies, btw? I'm guessing Malaysian badminton players? 

I can't believe that SK put up graphics like that on television for the Olympics! Are they determined to convince the world that they are backward rubes who are so busy navel gazing that they have less sensitivity than a clam? I mean, really! We've seen endless dramas of how everything has to be approved via various layers of senior people. And, they came up with those antiquated stereotypes? Please tell me that they are as disgusted in SK as we the international community are.

@Tofu, I even posted a pic of Caeleb Dressel (and his abs) who is America's fastest swimmer, plus have won a few medals in Tokyo and Rio.

Anyway, I really appreciate that there is streaming available so that I can watch more than just US attempts on display. Actually, the rest of the world is definitely doing well, and the US is not as dominant in these games. So far anyway.

Really looking forward to skateboarding and sport climbing as well. That should be loads of fun! Plus endless hours of watching the fastest people on earth running! I really think that they should have the athletes run against a cheetah or something though. Just for kicks, and to keep them humble about where they really are in terms of speed? J/K

Okay, need to take a break to take a breath... err, give my hands a break from typing.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Who are the Daddies, btw? I'm guessing Malaysian badminton players? 

Men Doubles from Indonesia that lost in the bronze match. Fans gave them that their nickname because both players are probably the oldest and older than most of other MD athletes and have married and each have 3 children. That's why they got that nickname. 

For badminton we got so many surprises when the top seeded players lost their matches to the unexpected players or before the quarter final stage. The most surprising athletes so far who reached an all new record for their performance are probably the MD from Chinese Taipei who won the gold medal and the semifinalist for MS who came from Guatemala. 

And An San really played well in her matches. I only watched several of her matches in Tokyo Olympics but her shot was quite deadly. She got mostly ten and nine. Occasionally missed to 8 but really gave the victory to her team. No wonder she did so well in individual stage. I don't understand the hate against her just because of her short hairstyle. Can those who hate her contribute the same as what she has done in Olympics? :idk:

I don't watch many matches because the airing time isn't preferable to me (during work hours) and I don't really have good access for the matches. But from what I heard summer Olympics this season brought many new champions for the medal tally. 

2 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

There'll be no pair like them ever in a very longggg time. I'll miss them when one day they retire.. TT_TT.

To think that day will come... It's a reality but I really want them to get all the titles and championship medal that they could have before they retired :cry:

• Like 5
  • Star Struck 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

4 minutes ago, LaLa said:

To think that day will come... It's a reality but I really want them to get all the titles and championship medal that they could have before they retired 

100% agree with you on this. Although no Olympics medal ever for Babah T_T Hopefully they can somehow still win other super series and big event. Now that MD is out of the way..I feel like my life can 'return' to normal. Been spending the past days being excited...anxious...watching MD matches (LOL and I m not even the one who played :laugh:). @LaLa let's hope Greyap and Ginting bring a medal home :eeeee:

@stroppyse Daddies is Indonesian MD players. They're the oldest MD pair at the moment...and yet despite their age... They still managed to be world no 2. For sure they're not as strong and fast as the other players (again due to their age) but wowww...as watchers we re very often surprised by their tenacity (they could often make a come back because their mentality is very strong)..and they play smart and tactical to cover for their dimished stamina when playing the younger opponents. They hardly make any screaming or celebratory sounds (very often we only hear the voices of their opponents and none of them haahhahaha) And what a humble attitude they both possess... They're such a delight to watch for me. OK..i better stop bragging about them :laugh: 

After all...I think their hey day has almost come to an end .. T_T

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

On 7/31/2021 at 8:41 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Us Malaysians have a sense of humor & we’re easily satisfied :lmao2:

i know....right....at least we got a medal .....

On 8/1/2021 at 12:07 AM, stroppyse said:

Losing respect for South Korean men after reading about their fuss about An San's hair.  She's an absolutely brilliant archer, only 20 years old, and completely cool under pressure. And, she won an individual gold medal for SK, plus helped win 2 other gold medals (Women's Team, Mixed Team). They should be singing her praise as a goddess of archery rather than criticizing her hair length. Grrrr. What is wrong with those guys???

what the.....is wrong with them???

shouldnt they be celebrating...at least i thought she look decent and neat during the matches.....

they should see a New Strait Times reporter doing live!!! @SilverMoonTea and me were like....gosh.....what kinda of hair she is trying to pull???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's funny, but during the Olympics, I watch so many sports that I don't watch any other time.  But, something about the athletes representing their countries just makes me want to cheer them on, even if they are not competing for my country.

I just hope that there isn't more doping scandals from this Olympics, even though there has been for pretty much every other Olympic.

Today, I"m anticipating the women's semi-final football match between USA and Canada. Go USA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Party! 1
On 8/1/2021 at 8:58 AM, SnowBlob said:

@LaLa let's hope Greyap and Ginting bring a medal home

And they did ! :pandachamp:

I really used my whole lunch period watching their game. Feeling worried and anxious but the moment they get that gold medal points, I have to calm myself down to not screaming on my phone screen. 

Again I stole another time wrapping up the day at the office while watching his match. I'm really happy today :eeeee:

And I just knew there were a rare chance like this, sharing the medals. What a great friendship :1000:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

Congratulations to Indonesia! Those were some furious well-fought games. Awesome!

1 hour ago, LaLa said:

And I just knew there were a rare chance like this, sharing the medals. What a great friendship 

I admit that I teared up a bit watching this. When the official started explaining about the jump off, and Barshim and Tamberi just looked at each other before Barshim asked "Can we have 2 golds?" Then the official said "It's possible. If you both agree, it's possible." Then Barshim and Tamberi just looked at each other again and started hugging again. Ohmygosh!

And they had both done so well, both jumping clean sheets and their season's best jumps at 2.37.  It was just an amazing moment to watch. It was definitely one of this Olympics highlight moments for me.

And actually, the entire men's high jump competition was really fun and thrilling to watch with a number of jumper's jumping their national records or season's bests.

I think it's events like this that keep me watching the Olympics even when I start getting cynical about the Olympics which have become money grabs by the organizing committees and a number of the athletes. So, during the Olympics, I'm happy to watch all sorts of events that I don't normally. :pandapopcorn:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1