9 hours ago, bairama said:

lolol

I save it to watchlater, maybe in weekend. I haven't watched D. P. too. So many watchlist!!

Lol maybe you can prioritise this. First episode has Gong Yoo Oppa! In suit! He makes the male lead look short 😅

I'm not sure if I'll watch this. It's like Liar Game, Maze, Hunger Game and Alice in Borderland kind of dramas.

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Lol maybe you can prioritise this. First episode has Gong Yoo Oppa! In suit! He makes the male lead look short 😅

this one is unexpected! I found his cameo thing in Twitter when scrolling around. Did I miss the news GY will be cameo? AAAAAAA hahahaha ok ok

yes, yes, Alice in Borderland you like or not? It is really greaaat

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

@abs-oluteM @bairama @mademoiselle @Tofu

The end of episode 4 was so thrilling! Won’t say more or it will be spoiled for you.

So glad all the episodes are available. Would have been very hard to wait weekly.

Some parts of episodes 1 and 2 are slower as they are showing the background of the participants. Even then, the game has started and there are exciting bits.

Watch! It’s good!

PS I enjoyed Alice in Borderland but I like this even better 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@bairama I didn't like Alice in Borderland. I didn't read the comic book so I don't know how it is in the book but in the drama coz the show tells me the ML is good at games so I was expecting him to beat the games, find loopholes etc but he took so many episodes to get himself together and he was still not up to my expectation of a ML in intelligence LOL and also I was disappointed that in the end it was just a show of crazy human wanting bloodshed. Just not my kind... I prefer Liar Game where it really is battle of wits.

Good to hear @Chocolate tell us more lol. Let me know when you're done.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
Spoiler

Honestly I think I don’t need to see that naked man, that thing scarred me. Lmao. (Funny enough I’m having beer now. Hahaha I swear I’m not drinking because I am trying to forget what I see)

but dah. I think it would be nice if joon ho in S2 would comeback. I think it’s a little underwhelming to see him just go like that after whatever he had to went through. Honest opinion, the actual main leads are not likeable. After all they are full of greed. But that said the overall journey is still a pleasant one.

I relatively enjoy joon ho’s story more. But logic wise, if the game is that secured they failed in finding out Joon ho much earlier, or did his bro just kinda let him go.

overall, the games are brutal but it’s entertaining, I kinda disliked the idea of forcing them to fight each other when they themselves say to be ‘fair’ for everyone. Ambushing each other is not fair, so I kinda just feel that this little part is not my cup of tea. As for ep 2, I kinda have a thought how nobody except for Gi hoon actually informs the cop. No one reported anything and just continue to go on with their lives. Afterall, they were screaming and yelling being terrified and all that.

the elderly plot twist was kinda expected, considering how competitive the games was and he still survive. So I kinda have my heads on him and I was right. After watching everything what I hope S2 would cover is, Joon ho’s story, (I would like to think that it’s too simple for him to just be an extra character afterall the villain is his bro) I would love to see him go in and find out more of organisation and why his bro did what he did. Equally, those vips should also be punished too.

The series is good, but it’s just with some minor bumps but overall I give it about 7.5-8.5

Spoiler review 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

I’m done and thoroughly enjoyed it except the cliched way they explained about the organiser/purpose of the game. But seeing as how there is likely to be a season 2, perhaps there will be a better explanation then.

There is also a fine balance between the thrills of the game and the emotional human stories. Quite a few gory scenes and I saw a nipple and a butt 😂.

And there is another cameo!

Spoiler

Lee Byung Hun!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
20 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I saw a nipple and a butt 😂.

This….*points at i* I mean..they don’t have to show it lmao. Luckily I was alone, if not the atmosphere would be a little awkward and the adult scene though…I was planing to skip forward…it’s funny how the guard forces the girl to come out of the toilet but didn’t force them out. And in the same bathroom to? Haha

guard: oh I wonder what sound is that?

:lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

9 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I saw a nipple and a butt

Who's nipple and butt is this? I think I've seen enough of Lee Jung Jae naked from his other movies to last me a lifetime. :niu:

I'm only on episode two and so far it's been good. Loved the cameo from Gong Yoo. :heart:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I finished this in 2 days. Only preview I saw before watching was the very first teaser, and boy am I glad for this! I think some of the posters contained a bit of spoilers so I’m glad to have avoided the them.

I didn’t watched AIB, so even though I’ve seen comparisons due to their survival games genre, I have nothing else to compare Squid Game to.

Overall I did enjoy the drama. I feel it was strongest in the middle episodes (I think 3-6/7?). These middle episodes are why I binged this series. Because of the strong middle eps, the last 2 felt kind of weak.

I agree with @Darkarcana about the police character:

Spoiler

I hope he is still alive so he can be in S2 if they decide to renew the series. I feel there’s much more they can do with him. I’m hopeful he isn’t dead since he was shot by his brother in the shoulder(?) not the heart, and he fell into the water too. So there is still a slight chance he is not dead.

They also didn’t mention at all what happened after that - like did the senior receive any of the photos/videos? Was there any follow-up regarding the police side of matters?

Maybe if there’s a Season 2 they can show the police infiltrating the island and try to take down the people organising the games.

@Chocolate I got spoiled the first cameo while just mindlessly scrolling birdapp on Friday.

Spoiler

So I stayed mostly offline after that to avoid more spoilers and I was so surprised there was a second cameo lol! After they revealed who Front Man was all the english and accent made sense. I found it a little familiar before the reveal but couldn’t place it.😂

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, im0202 said:

Overall I did enjoy the drama. I feel it was strongest in the middle episodes (I think 3-6/7?). These middle episodes are why I binged this series. Because of the strong middle eps, the last 2 felt kind of weak.

You're right. 3-7 were the best. The game in 7 was amazing but 7 was also disappointing because of all the VIPs. I thought the question of WHY the games were organised, and WHO was organising it, was quite mysterious. But in the end it fell flat - 

Spoiler

- the front man was only an "employee" so to speak (although I hope we find out more about his motivation in S2), and the games were just a playground for the filthy rich 😭

Plus they had a bunch of westerners and 1 Chinese to play the VIPs - the acting was bad, the dialogue in English was horrible, and that s*** me scene! Arghhhhh!

The 2 cameos were quite well done. Me too, I was trying to place that voice, and I had just watched Ashfall the week before! Gong Yoo's cameo was announced early on so it was expected - but the role was quite "meaty" for a cameo, I thought. And he looked awesome too 😍

This! 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Globally this was success! Seems that local audience were a bit more critical of the show but international viewers liked it very much.

'Squid Game' with sharply divided evaluations, exploded overseas (+reaction)

https://www.wikitree.co.kr/articles/690892

'Squid Game' rises to third place on Netflix's box office chart

Even surpassing the record of 'Sweet Home'

The Netflix original drama 'Squid Game' started a monstrous box office run by ranking 3rd in the world's Netflix drama box office box office rankings. 

OTT ranking site 'FlixPatrol' announced on the 19th that "'Squid Game' took third place in the global Netflix drama box office rankings on that day, after 'Otis' Secret Consultation Office' and 'Lucifer'." 'Squid Game' scored 562 points, far exceeding the 428 points of the Netflix drama 'Sweet Home', which was the previous record in Korea. 

'Squid Game' ranked 3rd in the worldwide Netflix drama box office chart / Captured from the FlixPatrol website.

img_20210920110513_1407c68b.webp

'Squid Game' topped the viewership rankings not only in Korea, but also in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. In the U.S., the home of Netflix, it achieved a remarkable achievement by ranking 5th. It was also ranked in the top 10 in over 80 countries around the world. 

When 'Squid Game' was released, Korean viewers left conflicting opinions about 'Squid Game'. There were opinions that it was a fresh genre that came out after a long time in Korea, but many pointed out that the story was too obvious. 

On the other hand, the evaluation of overseas viewers was mostly favorable. In a discussion post on 'Squid Game' posted on Reddit, an American internet community site, "I've seen up to episode 4 and I'm personally very impressed. I think I'll be more interested in this series", "This drama is really amazing. I recommend it", " My heart ached while watching," "I liked it, but it was a little obvious", "I watched it all, but I liked everything from acting to story to art", etc. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Apparently, this is her debut.

logo_312_11_20170105110805.gif?20210915_

'Squid Game' director "Jung Ho-yeon, eyes, looks, and voice itself"

Article input 2021.09.20. 2:53 PM

[Ten Asia = Reporter Shin So-won]

Intense acting Shin-go-style Do you have a premonition as soon as you see the
overwhelming scale

0000501363_001_20210920145317577.jpg?type=w540
Jung Ho-yeon / Photo = Courtesy of Netflix

Actor Jung Ho-yeon is gathering hot topics by making a strong acting declaration ceremony through the Netflix series 'Squid Game'.

Jung Ho-yeon announced her start as an actress through the Netflix series 'Squid Game' (written by Hwang Dong-hyuk), which was released on the 17th. 'Squid Game' is a drama that tells the story of people who participated in a mysterious survival game with a prize of 45.6 billion won, risking their lives to become the final winner, and challenging the extreme game. has garnered a lot of public attention.

Jung Ho-yeon took on the role of Dawn, a defector in 'Squid Game'. Dawn is a defector in a desperate situation who needs a lot of money for his family, and has lived a rough life as a pickpocket. His hair stretched out and his eyes that seemed to be wary of others gave us an idea of what kind of life Dawn lived, and his dry and calm voice seemed to represent the loneliness of Dawn even in the tense game. Jeong Ho-yeon performed passionately from the tense psychological warfare to the rough hand-to-hand combat, revealing her own presence among veteran actors such as Lee Jung-jae and Park Hae-soo.

The process by which Jung Ho-yeon joined 'Squid Game' also drew attention. As soon as Director Hwang Dong-hyuk saw Jeong Ho-yeon among the many audition participants, he had a foreboding, saying, "I thought this friend would take on the role." "The person I was looking for was in the video," and "Eyes, appearance, and voice were the dawn that I was looking for."

Interest and favorable reviews for Jeong Ho-yeon, who has successfully completed her acting ceremony by showing a strong presence as much as a bold and unconventional work, are expected to continue for the time being. The attention is focused on what kind of acting activities Jung Ho-yeon will carry out in the future, who has proven her growth potential as an actress by perfectly drawing the dawn with a unique presence among characters full of personality and acting skills that are not like a rookie.

Meanwhile, 'Squid Game' starring Jung Ho-yeon can be found on Netflix.
Source

• Insightful 1

GogglerHeaderHidef1WhtBkgrnd.png

Spoiler Warning

Squid_Game_7_Questions_Featured.jpg

Squid Game: 9 Questions That We Need Answered In Season 2

SEPTEMBER 20, 2021

Like you, we too spent most of Friday binging on Netflix’s latest K-drama, Squid Game. It was 485 minutes of great television, and the show’s nine episodes were a harrowing, white-knuckled ride that left us both emotionally and intellectually spent.

It also left us with quite a few questions.

The ending, while complete and satisfying, definitely leaves the door open for a second season (and more). God knows that finale had us incredibly excited to further explore this world that Hwang Dong-hyuk has created.

Here now, are nine questions that we need answering for the inevitable Squid Game, Season 2.

Spoiler

What Is the Recruiter’s Role in All of This?

Squid Game

We were really hoping to see more of Gong Yoo’s recruiter in the series, but all we got were two cameos, one in the very first episode, and another in the very last. The character he plays may not have any purpose other than to recruit players for the game, but given that he’s being played by an actor of Gong Yoo’s calibre and popularity, we were expecting to see a lot more of him.

Where Do They Find Those Henchmen In Red Jumpsuits?

Squid Game

What does that recruitment ad look like? “Seeking impressionable, easily manipulated young men. Must be willing to work long hours, take orders unquestioningly, and speak only when spoken to. Will require cosplay. May involve murder. Accommodation and meals will be provided.”

Do we think that this is a full time gig or like a summer internship?

Is Hero Cop Jun-ho Still Alive?

Squid Game

The last we saw of South Korea’s most action man police officer, he was left for dead after falling off an incredibly high cliff into the waters below.

It’s a major moment in Episode 8, and the second biggest twist of the series, when we discover that the Front Man is actually In-ho (Lee Byung-hun), the brother that Jun-ho (Wi Ha-joon) was looking for all along. (Earlier, in Episode 5, we learned that In-ho apparently won the Squid Game back in 2015.) Both brothers have a brief but emotional face off. Jun-ho only has one bullet left in his gun and shoots In-ho in the shoulder. In-ho then shoots Jun-ho in the shoulder as well, causing him to trip backwards and fall into the sea.

We think that if In-ho really wanted to kill his brother, he wouldn’t have shot him in the shoulder. Especially since every other kill he’s made in the series has been a shot to the head. Narratively speaking, it wouldn’t make sense for all of Jun-ho’s undercover efforts be for nothing. We’re pretty convinced that he’ll be back for a second season.

P.S. We’ve even worked out Jun-ho’s story arc for Season 2. He is found floating in the water by a fishing boat and taken back to Seoul. He wakes up in the hospital to discover that his messages to the Chief didn’t send because there was no cell reception on the island. His phone is ruined by the water and all the evidence he collected is destroyed. No one at his precinct believes him because all of this seems so far fetched. And so he has to team-up with Gi-hun in order to take down the Squid Game.

What Is In-ho’s Story?

Squid Game

All we know about In-ho is that he’s Jun-ho’s brother and that he won the Squid Game back in 2015. What we don’t know, however, is why and how he became the face (metaphorically speaking) of the competition. How did Il-nam (Oh Young-soo) recruit him? Why did he agree to be a part of this social experiment/travesty? What did he do with all of his winnings? Is this a new gig or has he been the Front Man for a while? And if he’s been doing it for a while, why was he, until very recently, still paying rent on a tiny apartment in the city?

We’d love for Season 2 to do a deep dive into In-ho’s backstory.

Now That Il-nam Is Actually Dead, Who’s Running the Squid Game?

Squid Game

We know from the very end of the season that Gong Yoo’s recruiter is still playing ddakji with desperate people and handing out cards in order to recruit them for the game. But who is running the show? In Episode 9, In-ho is the last person we see by Il-nam’s death bed. Does this imply that he’s now running the Squid Game? Is he Il-nam’s appointed successor?

Why Did Gi-hun Dye His Hair Red?

Squid Game

Is Gi-hun (Lee Jung-jae) channeling that age-old cinematic trope of a woman cutting/changing her hair whenever filmmakers need a shorthand to show the audience that she’s taking charge of her own life? Is Gi-hun’s red hair symbolic of the blood he’s about to spill when he takes down the people behind the Squid Game?

What Is Gi-hun Going to Do Next?

Squid Game

At the end of the season, Gi-hun has decided not to get on the plane and reconnect with his daughter in America. He is suddenly filled with a new sense of purpose and seems determined to find out as much as he can about the Squid Game and put an end to it.

Is he going to use his winnings to create a special vigilante team dedicated to ending the Squid Game. Is he going to team up with the very-much-alive Jun-ho? Will he seek out previous winners and convince them to join his cause? There is plenty of potential and we can’t wait to see where they take this series.

Will Netflix Ever (Please!) Find Better White Actors to Cast in These K-Dramas?

Squid Game

Squid Game follows the long held tradition of Asian TV shows and movies just picking random expats from off the street whenever they need a white person for a part. Stiff, stilted, and hopelessly hammy, these guys try and fail to stretch out a “69” joke for far too long. They are definitely the weakest link in an otherwise pristine production. (See also: Space Sweepers – among many, many others.) Surely it can’t be that hard (or too expensive) to find white guys in Korea who can act?

Source: goggler.my

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2