What if you get 45.6 billion won? | "Squid Game" Press Conference [ENG]

"Masked man" also has a class | Netflix Squid Game Press Conference [ENG]

Heartbreaking Character "Sae Byeok" 💋 - Model Jung Ho Yeon | (Netflix Squid Game Press Conference) [ENG]

Spoiler

Production Presentation on Sep 15, 2021

Someone has translated but only for Wi Hajoon's section 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

Forbes_logo_black-1.png

‘Squid Game’ Soars To #1 On Netflix, And Is A Must-Watch

Sep 21, 2021,09:50am EDT | Paul Tassi - Senior Contributor

squid gameSquid Game | NETFLIX

If you told me a Korean drama where people compete in murderous children’s games would become the number one offering on Netflix in the US, I probably wouldn’t have believed you. But that’s what Squid Game has just accomplished, unseating Sex Education season 3 for the top spot, and securing itself as what may be Netflix’s most popular Korean series ever.

Netflix is no stranger to Korean productions, as they’ve aired many over the past few years, most of which have been quite good, from historical zombie thriller The Kingdom to North Korean romantic comedy, Crash Landing on You. The most popular Korean series before this may have been the apocalyptic Sweet Home, but it seems like Squid Game is taking the top honors.

The show is massively popular on social media, trending with 200,000 plus tweets dissecting the ins and outs of the nine episode series, which pits desperate competitors against one another in kids’ games where the stakes are life and death. I previously compared it to a more murderous version of the hit game Fall Guys, where players survive rounds of goofy games to try and become the last man standing. But in many ways, Squid Game reminds me of Battle Royale, the Japanese “schoolchildren fight to the death on an island” film based on a book that launched a thousand imitators and an entire genre of video games.

Squid Game is an excellent series, and not just for the shock value of its gore and mayhem. Everything from the art direction (the PlayStation button jumpsuits of the guards to the MC Escher staircase leading to the events) to the performances. Episode six in particular, Gganbu, is one of the best TV episodes I’ve seen of any show this year, an emotional powerhouse that left me on the floor by the end.

Is a season 2 in the cards? With how successful the show currently is, and how it ends on a pretty clear cliffhanger, I’d say it’s a no-brainer to return for another installment. It should be no surprise that in theory, there could easily be another game with new contestants, although at least one major character would be likely to carry over, one of the few who survives the events of the first season. You’ll see what I mean once you watch it.

I highly recommend Squid Game to almost everyone. Yes, it’s weird and violent, but it’s a powerful production full of stellar performances, memorable characters and creative twists and turns. I love seeing offbeat hits like this on Netflix, and successful foreign productions, and Squid Game just so happens to be both.

Source

@mademoiselle You're not watching? It's not just pure games and quite different from Alice in Borderland. It's also not a psychological thriller. The games are simple but the solution can be quite amazing. There's quite a fair bit about relationship and emotions. Quite balanced. And the acting is good. Plus it's got that Lee Chang Jin guy from Beyond Evil - you just want to slap him haha!

I saw you mention Liar Game and I am on the last episode now.

Spoiler

The games here are quite smart too and keeps the drama interesting enough although the writing/plot is quite one-dimensional. The acting is also bad apart from Shin Sung Rok. I like Lee Sang Yoon from Master In The House, but gosh, he can't act - it's like one expression throughout lol.

All around, Squid Games is so so much better.

Any other similar genres to recommend?

• Haha 2

@Chocolate I'm still watching episode 1. Need to nap just now then cook so the progress is slow. I am just at the bit they are waiting to play the first game.

Liar Game I couldn't watch the K-version. The Liar Game I was preferring to is the J-drama version. That's the original ^ ^ And you are right, I couldn't watch Lee Sang Yoon because I just couldn't see him as my genius Shinichi Akiyama played by Matsuda Shota. Liar Game J-version is very old and if you are going to check it out, watch S1 and 2. The movie and the rest of the seasons were meh. I don't think I watch S3 anymore because Liar Game isn't Liar Game without both the ML and FL.

Are there many J-dramas on Netflix in SG? Over here there are more Koreans vs Chinese, Japanese or Taiwanese.

• Insightful 1

Episode 2 was really boring.

Episode 3 I had a bit of laughs because I actually thought why don't they just put in the mouth & melt the malt away and then Lee Jung Jae really started licking it. xD

Not liking the bloodshed bit. I hope it is explained in the end the reason behind organising such games. To be honest, I don't understand why these people would even believe they are able to get to the end and win those money. Just from the way they are treated, they are already in disadvantage. Understand they want to gamble a chance but haven't we learnt enough that the chances of losing is always higher than winning? And then there's the lack of trust. I see no guarantee this "higher up" person will indeed give away the prize, not when I've a room full of men with guns pointing at me.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Episode 2 was really boring.

Episode 3 I had a bit of laughs because I actually thought why don't they just put in the mouth & melt the malt away and then Lee Jung Jae really started licking it. xD

Yay! You got through the first 2 episodes. Were you surprised that Contestant 001 voted not to continue the game ?

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Not liking the bloodshed bit. I hope it is explained in the end the reason behind organising such games. To be honest, I don't understand why these people would even believe they are able to get to the end and win those money. Just from the way they are treated, they are already in disadvantage. Understand they want to gamble a chance but haven't we learnt enough that the chances of losing is always higher than winning? And then there's the lack of trust. I see no guarantee this "higher up" person will indeed give away the prize, not when I've a room full of men with guns pointing at me.

It's desperation. For Sang Woo, he was even going to commit suicide. In that sense, why not just take a chance with the game. The result cannot be any worse. For some others, it's the lack of self-awareness / 自知自明.

I think trust was never an issue. The fact that they really let everyone leave after majority voted not to continue at the end of of episode 1, bolstered everyone's confidence.

@im0202

Spoiler

We're blind! At the end when there were only 3 beds left, we still didn't notice the drawings on the wall!!! Looking at the photos now, it is so obvious. I'm going to re-watch too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Yay! You got through the first 2 episodes. Were you surprised that Contestant 001 voted not to continue the game ?

Bahahaha, I didn't care enough to guess so I wasn't surprised xD

I think I was more surprised with Sang Woo since he was the one who raised the 3rd point in the contract. But then again everybody was blinded by the amount of money in the piggy.

23 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

It's desperation. For Sang Woo, he was even going to commit suicide. In that sense, why not just take a chance with the game. The result cannot be any worse. For some others, it's the lack of self-awareness / 自知自明.

I think trust was never an issue. The fact that they really let everyone leave after majority voted not to continue at the end of of episode 1, bolstered everyone's confidence.

Trust - I find that important (for me anyway). Because I need to be able to trust that I do have the upper hand when I gamble. However with their situation and the way they are forced to play the game since the beginning, where the rule of games or game details were not shared upfront, that already put them in utmost disadvantage. The chances of winning isn't even 50/50 here. Obviously second time returning they now know at the end of the bargain is death. So their main driving force of why they return was desperation. I feel greed was also another driving force.

I'll continue with my watching after work later :) I'm concern what I said right now may not withstand later on as the story unravel.

The game plan (and answers?) you said (saw that tweet) was on the wall, right? But no one saw that.

What's your view on Wi Ha Joon (the police guy)?

• Like 1

QzhAg4W.png

S. Korean series 'Squid Game' tops US chart on Netflix

By Yonhap | Published : Sept 22, 2021 - 21:50       Updated : Sept 22, 2021 - 21:50

bBlpg0c.jpg

A promotional image of "Squid Game" (Courtesy of Netflix)

Netflix's original Korean series "Squid Game" ranked first on the US top 10 TV show list of the video streaming platform, a chart has showed, becoming the first Korean drama to reach the milestone.

The thriller, featuring South Korean actor Lee Jung-jae, made it to the top on the US chart, as of Tuesday, according to streaming analytics firm FlixPatrol.

The previous record was "Sweet Home," the 10-episode Netflix Korean original that ranked third on the US chart last year.

The popularity of "Squid Game" has gained momentum as the show also placed first in South Korea and 13 other countries, including Singapore and Vietnam.

The series also took the second spot on the Netflix's global top 10 TV show list, trailing British teen comedy-drama "Sex Education."

"Squid Game," released on Sept. 17, is a thriller series about a group of people who risk their lives in a mysterious survival game to secure the prize money of 45.6 billion won ($38.5 million). (Yonhap)

• Clapping Hands 1
4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

However with their situation and the way they are forced to play the game since the beginning, where the rule of games or game details were not shared upfront, that already put them in utmost disadvantage. The chances of winning isn't even 50/50 here.

Yes, most contestants would like to know upfront so that they can plan and strategise. But in this aspect, the game is also very fair. Everyone gets to know at the same time. It's the same for everyone. Of course, those who are quicker "on their feet" will have higher chance of success.

The game plan (and answers?) you said (saw that tweet) was on the wall, right? But no one saw that.

Yes! Must have been too engrossed that I totally didn't even notice the walls. No answers though.

What's your view on Wi Ha Joon (the police guy)?

As you know, I am a one man woman. So no thoughts on WHJ, the man 😂 He seems to be gaining new fans from Squid Games so good for him.

But on his role, I think it is quite significant. The rest of the cast was mainly focused on the games. But there were other things going on in the guards camp and also the organisation - WHJ is the only person to reveal these. But, as he is the guard, his face is covered most of the time 🤣 so... Also agree with @im0202 that if there is a sequel, some questions need to be answered regarding him and his brother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I need you to check out Liar Game (J-version) this weekend, LOL! I'm just curious what you think of it. My standard/opinion of this show may be outdated now that's why even I'm having doubts whether I'll still like it now. Obviously I thought it was good at that time but this is before I started watching Kdramas. Just so you know upfront, the acting of the side characters can be annoyingly exaggerated (as it is adapted from manga) - even Kenshin is like that which I didn't like. 

17 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

As you know, I am a one man woman. So no thoughts on WHJ, the man 😂 He seems to be gaining new fans from Squid Games so good for him.

LOLLLL, you are unbelievable! Still in denial. :lmao2: You can't possibly ask me to believe you after all the evidences. LMAO.

18 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

But on his role, I think it is quite significant. The rest of the cast was mainly focused on the games. But there were other things going on in the guards camp and also the organisation - WHJ is the only person to reveal these. But, as he is the guard, his face is covered most of the time 🤣 so... Also agree with @im0202 that if there is a sequel, some questions need to be answered regarding him and his brother.

Did they reveal who the brother is? For now I'm thinking if he's the one who grabbed onto Lee Jung Jae's pants begging him to help and then was shot. Or this brother is one of the guards?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

I need you to check out Liar Game (J-version) this weekend, LOL! I'm just curious what you think of it. My standard/opinion of this show may be outdated now that's why even I'm having doubts whether I'll still like it now. Obviously I thought it was good at that time but this is before I started watching Kdramas. Just so you know upfront, the acting of the side characters can be annoyingly exaggerated (as it is adapted from manga) - even Kenshin is like that which I didn't like. 

I'll try to find it later tonight. But the k one is quite bad, apart from the games. The ending is 🙄 blah! Was there a sequel to the J version?

LOLLLL, you are unbelievable! Still in denial. :lmao2: You can't possibly ask me to believe you after all the evidences. LMAO.

What evidence? Those were just ramblings from a temporarily mad woman.

Did they reveal who the brother is? For now I'm thinking if he's the one who grabbed onto Lee Jung Jae's pants begging him to help and then was shot. Or this brother is one of the guards?

Yes they revealed. But you watch.

• Like 1
Just now, Chocolate said:

I'll try to find it later tonight. But the k one is quite bad, apart from the games. The ending is 🙄 blah! Was there a sequel to the J version?

J version has season 1, 2 and 3. Also a movie.

Only 1, 2 and movie have the original FL and ML. So I'd say watch S1 and S2 if you like the shows. The movie is meh, but I think you can find it on Netflix.

S3 I think ML made a cameo but I'd skip it altogether. Not worth it.

Not sure how the games are in K version (and how closely it is to J-version) but for me J-Liar Game requires Maths brain, which I don't have so I just wait for Akiyama to reveal the answers for me xDDDDD

3 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

What evidence? Those were just ramblings from a temporarily mad woman.

:smug: I think right now that mad woman is rambling temporarily again 

• Haha 1