4 hours ago, Chocolate said:

He was totally unconvincing as an clever/ingenious person who could solve all these riddles.

LOL. I sometimes wonder whether knowing that the ML Lee Sang Yoon in real life has a Physics degree from Seoul National University and is actually one of the smartest of the Korean male actors out there affected my willingness to believe him in the role?

If so, I agree that it's kind of unfair to judge him favorably on that basis. However, I still enjoyed the drama and him as the ML.  :heart:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

LOL. I sometimes wonder whether knowing that the ML Lee Sang Yoon in real life has a Physics degree from Seoul National University and is actually one of the smartest of the Korean male actors out there affected my willingness to believe him in the role?

If so, I agree that it's kind of unfair to judge him favorably on that basis. However, I still enjoyed the drama and him as the ML. 

Oh that was the only saving grace that lent him some credence to the role. I know Lee Sang Yoon from Master In The House and there, they have played up his "nerdiness". I remember one episode where Son Ye Jin asked all 4 hosts to share a lesson. While the rest shared how to joke and dance, LSY taught them how to count quickly without a calculator by using factoring! And I must say the lesson was effective haha.

That's the kind of guy he is. He is endearing and admirable, as the smart actor who couldn't sing or dance and yet still willing to participate in a variety programme and suffer all sorts of embarrassments for 2 years. So kudos to him too.

@mademoiselle says the J-Liar Game is very good. Will you watch?

Hmmm... if season 2 was not already planned, than the Wi Ha Joon role/line of the story is even more odd and the ending would be considered unsatisfying.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

The phone number saga lives on.

• A Presidential candidate offered to buy the number for 100M won = USD84,000!
  • The phone owner's wife also has a similar number except a different last digit - so she is also getting calls!

Article here:

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2021/09/688_316075.html?scmp&module=inline&pgtype=article

I say, sell the number!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1
6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

@mademoiselle says the J-Liar Game is very good. Will you watch?

I want to, but not sure when I'll have the time. K-dramas are easier for me because I can multi-task if I have to, however, any other dramas other than in English or Korean, I have to pay attention and read the subtitles so I need to make time when I can just focus on the drama.

Still smh at the phone number saga, btw.

• Like 1

@mademoiselle Yeah, that was the most disappointing. Another problem is the acting and dialogue for those VIPs were so bad! Surely there must be decent caucasian actors if they must have it.

I think Squid Game is a more commercial type of drama. So it is popular with a larger audience. Sweet Home's good too, but I felt it was heavier on the emotional side instead of the thrill/suspense.

• Like 1

@Chocolate Squid Game didn't give me the thrill and suspense I had anticipated. For Sweet Home, I was very intrigued with the depiction of the monsters and the type of monsters the humans become. Also I don't know how the story would go or end. I was even skeptical, thinking it's just another monster/action shows, only this time it's made by Koreans. And I was surprised the story changed to focus on the characters and their back-stories. On an emotional level, I really love that and it has depth & meanings as it explores human nature, as well as make you imagine a world where we, the humans, could become - a new human species. It's like X-Men but not really.

Whereas Squid Game, it didn't make me feel that way.

The foreign actors' acting didn't bother me so much. At the time I thought at least that one speaking Mandarin was quite accurate. But yes, good thing we couldn't see their faces, especially the one who stripped himself down to nothing.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, im0202 said:

HAHAHAH tsk so annoying! Join also die, never join also die! No wonder the players all

joined!😂

I tried again but died again at the next round so I give up. I’m meant to die in such games I guess lol.

Hahaha! I tried a second time and died one round before you, because I chose to share the secret lol.

We're too nice. We can never win lol.

• Haha 2

I won the game hahahahahah

i paused the screen and had a debate with myself lmao.

sushi: If I tell my ally, my ally will survive and they might be of use later…but what if someone leaked it and I will lose? Maybe it’s one for themselves really. *clicks don’t tell*

then later on another hard question about betraying your allies..errr so hard

• Haha 4

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

logo_006_6_20200915182709.png

'Squid Game' is a global box office hit, and the profit is occupied by 'Designer' Netflix

Enter 2021.09.29. 3:28 pm Revision 2021.09.29. 6:35 pm

Reporter Jeong Cheol-woon

“There is no structure to earn more depending on the box office due to copyright monopoly.”

Domestic drama production companies, fear of 'falling into Netflix subcontractors' Netflix's original 'Squid Game', which surpassed 200 million paid subscribers worldwide last year, became the first Korean content to occupy the top spot in Netflix viewing in the United States, and is gaining popularity worldwide. The number of SNS subscribers of actors is increasing explosively, and related reports are coming out in prestigious magazines such as the British 'Guardian'. If so, how much 'incentives' will the producers of 'Squid Game' receive? In conclusion, no. Yoo Geon-sik, head of KBS Public Media Research Center, who wrote the book

' Netflixsonomics -Netflix and Korean Broadcasting Media' ( 2019 ), said, "Drama producers receive 10-20 % of the production cost as profits. There may be side effects that change, but there is no structure where you can earn more depending on the box office.” Production companies cannot make spin-offs, overseas remakes, or movies. Netflix owns the copyright.

0000109876_002_20210930110302228.jpg?typ

▲ A scene from the original Netflix original 'Squid Game'.

Netflix attracts dramas to Netflix by means of △ investment in the pre-production stage, △ investment in the intermediate stage of production, and △ investment after completion of production, and monopolizes the copyright. For this reason, 'When the Camellia Blooms', which received Netflix's investment, was a KBS drama in Korea, but a Netflix original overseas. Last year, tvN's 'Crash Landing on You' was very popular in Asia, ranking first in Japan's Netflix viewing, but as a result of receiving Netflix's production investment, the copyright belongs to Netflix. Of course, like JTBC's 'Sky Castle', there are cases where Netflix only purchases the airing rights.

The Netflix system is preferred by producers because it can receive stable production costs. You get 'as much as you spend'. At least there's nothing to lose. For Netflix, if content fails at the box office, it loses money, but Netflix bears the risk. It is a kind of 'high risk, high return', and in this process, it is evaluated that Netflix is taking the domestic killer content production ability. Examples are the achievements of writer Kim Eun-hee's 'Kingdom', the recent ' DP ', and the Netflix original production of 'Food and Furry' by PD Kim Tae-ho .

"In the case of OEMs, Netflix will have no problem monopolizing copyrights, but the problem is the structure of taking all copyrights, like ODM, even though I am a planner and developer," said Yoo Geon-sik, director of the global OTT Disney Plus, adding that entering the Korean market could be an opportunity for Korean producers. This is because demand for Korean content has increased. For production companies, there is a "negotiation card."

OTT- centered viewing is now an irreversible trend. Amid the rapid change in the media environment, the era of subsidizing drama production costs through advertisements is over. A symbolic example is the collapse of the morning drama programming of the three terrestrial broadcasters, which once had a double-digit viewership rating. SBS is a morning drama "Amour Party" ( 120 a trilogy) 10 If OLD January said it would not longer morning drama programming. Morning dramas have already disappeared from KBS and MBC . With the media environment changing rapidly, terrestrial advertising sales are on the decline.

A high-ranking official in charge of a terrestrial drama said, "Ads don't sell in the morning hours. The ratings don't mean anything right now. I see the topic. MZThe morning shows are almost in the red because advertisements are concentrated on programs that the generation prefers. No matter how cheap a morning drama is, it costs 30-40 million won per episode . If you make a drama, it's a loss. So, we organize life information programs that can be sponsored.” If this trend continues, it is clear that the number of terrestrial TV dramas will gradually decrease.

0000109876_003_20210930110302246.jpg?typ

▲ Netflix advertisement located at the National Assembly Station in Seoul. ⓒCheol-woon Jeong, staff reporter

Amid this situation, there are concerns that Korean drama producers could be reduced to subcontractors of Netflix. One drama producer who runs a drama production company said, "Neflix never came in well. The production cost is now set at a lower level and is trying to tame the production company. "In the end, Netflix is only a multinational capital," he said, saying, "If we try to deal with Korean social issues, we cannot invest because it lacks scalability." As Netflix's influence grows, there is no way out of Netflix's designed "game."

Meanwhile, Netflix held Netflix Partner Day on the morning of the 29th and promoted, "According to the global consulting group Deloitte's survey, it contributed to the creation of about 16,000 jobs based on an investment of about 770 billion won in the domestic content industry." "According to a survey of 8,500 people conducted by the Korea Institute for International Cultural Exchange, Netflix accounted for 64.3 percent of Korean viewers' main viewing channels for Korean content and 63.2 percent of dramas. Netflix plays an important role in expanding the Korean Wave," he said.

By Jeong Cheol-woon, staff reporter pierce@mediatoday.co.kr

Source: Naver | Translated by Google & Papago

Edited by Chocolate

the-guardian-logo.jpg

Squid Game: the hellish horrorshow taking the whole world by storm

Henry Wong

Tue 28 Sep 2021 11.19 BST

5709.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

Agonising and masterful … Squid Game. Photograph: Youngkyu Park/Netflix

In the gory thriller that has swiftly become a smash hit on Netflix, competitors play children’s games for huge cash prizes … and if they lose, they die. Can you stomach it?

What if winning playground games could make you rich? That’s the basis of Squid Game – the South Korean show currently at number one on Netflix around the world – where debt-ridden players sign up to compete in six games for a cash prize of 45.6 billion won (around £28m). The small print: if you lose, you get killed. In the first episode, a game of Grandma’s Footsteps (known as Red Light, Green Light in South Korea) leaves bodies piled high as the shell-shocked winners proceed to round two. It’s blood-splattered child’s play – a kind of Takeshi’s Castle with fatalities, or Saw with stylish shell suits.

If you can stomach the events of the first episode, what follows is a tightly written horror thriller that has captivated viewers. The nine-part series is the first Korean show to reach the top spot on the streaming platform in the US, and is currently number one in the UK. Its success won’t come as a surprise to a generation of viewers who got hooked on murderous dystopian series The Hunger Games and cult favourite Battle Royale. But Squid Game’s backdrop is South Korea’s present-day, very real wealth inequality.

Its closest comparison is another South Korean drama, 2019’s Oscar-winning, zeitgeist-capturing Parasite, where the country’s class divides led to a bloody conclusion. Like that film, the show’s analogy is sometimes overdone – particularly when the game’s cliche-heavy spectators are introduced – but it’s an instantly hooky premise. Yes, the games are terrifying but how much worse are they than the half-lives of those living in interminable debt?

Masterful cliffhangers give the series a requisite bingeworthy appeal and the set pieces are hideously inventive, but it’s the show’s eclectic cast that keeps viewers watching. Our unlikely heroes are led by Seong Gi-hun (Lee Jung-jae), a gambling addict with a heart of gold, and his slippery childhood friend Cho Sang-woo (Park Hae-soo), a disgraced banker on the run from the police. One of the series highlights is watching the icy, resourceful pickpocket Kang Sae-byeok (Jung Ho-yeon) – a North Korean escaper trying to save her separated family – learn to trust those around her.

This rag-tag group provides a surprisingly sweet heart for a show that features the regular murder of hundreds of people and an organ trading subplot. The nights in the dormitories – where relationships form and fray – provide the quieter drama, often more shocking than the games hall itself. And Lee is so unfailingly smiley that he single-handedly brings back the lightness whenever the terror almost becomes too much (which is often).

Most smartly, Squid Game taps into a cultural obsession with gameshows. The players are being watched, but the viewer is only one step removed, and it’s impossible not to put yourselves in their shoes. An episode of backstories makes it clear that anyone can fall into debt through bad luck, while the visuals are full of familiar touchstones. There are maze-like corridors, tinkling soundtracks and oversized slides, like the world’s worst children’s party. Within this world, writer and director Hwang Dong-hyuk sets up compelling dilemmas – would you betray your friend to escape death? – and lets them play out in agonising stretches.

Netflix has experimented with interactive drama in the past with its 2018 film Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, in which viewers could make choices that affected the plot. A kind of television version of choose-your-own-adventure books, its own cleverness sometimes came at the expense of storytelling. Squid Game shows that you don’t need on-screen choices to get viewers invested in characters’ fates. Even without an interactive element, there is a relatability here that likely explains its huge popularity. The stakes are higher here but the emotions are viscerally familiar, tapping into playground politics at every turn. In one episode, there’s a heartwrenching scene about picking team members before a game starts. Even without the possibility of death, didn’t being picked last always feel like the end of the world?

Squid Game is available on Netflix now.

Source: The Guardian