Network: tvN
Episodes:
Release Date: September 22, 2021
Runtime: Wed-Thu 22:30 KST
Genre: Mystery / Thriller

source: asianwiki

. . . . .

Plot Synopsis

Set in 1999, Choi Hyung-In (Yoo Jae-Myung) works as a detective. 10 years earlier, his wife died in a terrorist attack. He still has not gotten over his wife's death and he carries guilt over her death. One day, he investigates a murder case that took place in a small town. He begins to suspect that the murder case is somehow related to the terrorists, who took his wife's life.

About 10 years ago, Jo Jung-Hyun’s (Han Ye-Ri) older brother took part in a terrorist attack. After that, her life collapsed. She was then labelled as a member of a terrorist's family. Yet, Jo Jung-Hyun was able to rebuild her life thanks to her niece, who is the daughter of her older brother. Her niece suddenly goes missing and Jo Jung-Hyun struggles to find her.

Jo Kyung-Ho (Um Tae-Goo) is a mysterious prisoner, sentenced to life in prison. Back in 1989, he came back to South Korea, after studying in Japan, and released sarin gas at a train station in his hometown. After that, he turned himself in and was given the life sentence.

. . . . .

Trailers

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

45 minutes ago, bairama said:

Well to remove the "cha cha cha" cute tone and voila! :CharmanderYay: We are on the other side lol

Hahaha...well that was an easy fix :laugh: It depends on how scary this will be. That short trailer made me jump already...I'm really chicken you see :MewHi:

• Haha 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mind this (it's not bad actually) although I'm still trying to work out what it is exactly -- a supernatural horror or just a suspenseful murder mystery revolved around cults? I like the non-linear multiple timelines approach using flashbacks. Whatever transpired in the first couple episodes were enough to get me on board for the of the series. 

I can imagine this won't be everyone's cup of tea being slow moving psychological thriller but I'm intrigued by the connection between the domestic terrorist's agenda and the missing girls. Is the local church also part of the deal? I have to wonder.

There's a bleak eeriness that accompanies the main characters as they sort through the threads of the nuttiness around them. I am somewhat reminded of the Australian film PIcnic at Hanging Rock in that regard. That was actually based on a true unsolved crime.

• Like 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I can imagine this won't be everyone's cup of tea being slow moving psychological thriller but I'm intrigued by the connection between the domestic terrorist's agenda and the missing girls. Is the local church also part of the deal? I have to wonder.

I was trying to figure out what this drama was as well, and I have to admit that your post makes it sound more intriguing than it seemed to be from the previews. A psychological thriller sounds much better than jump scares and acts of extreme violence. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still watching and all up to date...

This is one of those shows that require patience and concentration because we're looking at the story from the shifting perspectives of two main characters bouncing around 3-4 timelines. It is a slow burn detective-police procedural and 6 episodes later, I doubt very much that there are supernatural elements involved. Overall, it's been able to keep my interest so far. It's moody and bleak but the storytelling is good because the intrigue factor is high. At the very least the plot moves forward in every episode despite the seemingly plodding narrative.

Yoo Myung-jae and Han Ye-ri showcase good performances. They're supported by an able cast and even the young ones put in decent performances. So far they don't really spend a lot of time together. But there's a thread from 10 years earlier that holds them together. The man who claimed responsibility for the Saju station gas attack continues to be an enigma. He's big on obfuscation. It's much clearer what his modus operandi is these days but his motives remain unclear. My suspicion is that revenge is driving much of this.

Yoo Myung-jae's detective, Choi Hyung-in is perpetually morose due to the nature of the case connected to the missing girl and mixed tapes containing eerie sounds but also from the time he lost his wife to the station attack. 

At the centre of the odd happenings and body pile-up is a doomsday cult of sorts. They seem to be based in Saju and have their tentacles everywhere. There's no doubt that it is linked to the culprit of the Saju gas attack and to a mysterious individual known as Guru.

• Insightful 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.