Twenty-Five Twenty-One 스물다섯 스물하나 [2022]

bai

I grew up in this era ( and also studied a lot about it in uni) ...ahahahah so I can tell you that 1998 was a turbulent time for many Asian countries due to the major financial crisis where many saw their currencies depreciate so badly that governments and private firms either became bankrupt or were on the verge of becoming bankrupt. Inflation (especially imported inflation)  and unemployment were sky high.  It was often referred to as the IMF (International Monetary Fund)  financial crisis because many countries had to either borrow money or use the IMF's plan (which was not an easy path to follow) to  resuscitate their economies. This is the background to which we will witness the growth of our leads. 

--------------------------

Kim Tae-ri X Nam Joo-hyuk 'Twenty-five Twenty One' Back to the 1998 ‥

202202111546202510_2.jpg

This work is a chemistry between twenty-two and eighteen, two people who call each other’s names for the first time, a fresh first love who loves and grows as they become twenty-five and twenty-one, and the excitement of being confused between friendship and love, and the chemistry of five youths who share difficult worries. It is a work that contains the memories of youth who were pure and fierce.

It reminds me of the 'Reply' series in that it is set in the era of 1998. In particular, 1998 was a time when a big changes due the International Monetary Fund (IMF)'s intervention in the country. The production team of 'Twenty-five Twenty One' emphasized that the various situations that young people are experiencing as they grow up are in contact with the times, and that an individual's story can be the story of the times.

Director Jung Ji-hyun said earlier, “The late 90s was a time of turbulence. I thought there was something we could sympathize with because our generation and the younger generation who are suffering from the COVID-19 situation can find common ground.”

Kim Tae-ri takes on the role of Na Hee-do, a high school fencing dreamer who never gives up despite the loss of her team due to the IMF, and who is united with passion and ambition. She reunited with director Jung Ji-hyun, who he worked with in 'Mr. Sunshine', after 3 years and 6 months.

The character Na Hee-do is completely different from the characters Kim Tae-ri has shown so far. Bright and full of energy, she is honest and confident with his emotions. Kim Tae-ri, who had been training in fencing for about six months for the role of a fencer, even wrote a training log like a real athlete, and exploded her desire to win every practice match with Bona. It is said that when she was invited to Bona's house, she was about to run away with a sandbag.

Nam Joo-hyuk, who made many female fans flutter in tvN's 'Startup', took on the role of Baek Yi-jin, who became a reporter after living a tough life in the middle of his family's ruin due to the IMF. For the role, he met a real sports reporter for research in order to bring out  his character.

The chemistry and connection of the two also raises expectations. Previously, Kim Tae-ri and Nam Joo-hyuk were satisfied with each other  saying, "The awkward and clumsy appearance is a fun point.''  Director Jung Ji-hyun also said, "I like the sensibility that the two have. All the script interpretations they had prepared went well. Kim Tae-ri and Nam Joo-hyuk's chemistry is good, whether they're filming a comedy, romance, or kissing scene," he praised.

Props from the 1998 background are also points of interest. Directing Jung Ji-hyun also cited styling and location selection as the parts that he paid the most attention to. The production team paid attention to the details of buildings and traffic lights that can be seen on a daily basis, but that have changed slightly over time.

'Twenty-five Twenty One' depicts the growing pains of the characters in a beautiful and weighty way, and is determined to form a consensus with viewers. As if excited by talking with an old friend, people are interested in whether the goal of 'Twenty-five Twenty One', which hopes to be able to give comfort to today's me by looking back at myself in the past. "

Source

Translations for teaser

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

just watched the first episode .... so basically Baek Yi Jin is 22 in 1998 and he is a son of a Bankrupt Chaebol...doing odd job to support himself....etc....

Na Hee Do is an unrestrained teenager who has a tumultuous relationship with her ,mother however both of them mean well...

Only KTR can pull off a teenager at this age....she is sooo expressive... Hats off to her....

NJH still has room for improvement...

As of now , I am hooked...

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

I caught the first episode and quite enjoyed it. Kim Taeri is such a joy to watch onscreen. Nam Joo Hyuk wasn't too bad either. 

For now, I think I'll continue since I don't have many dramas on my plate to watch. 

Episode 2 Pre-release. 

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 1

I'm not sure about this drama yet. Will have to watch a few more to decide.

I was :wow2: when I saw the girl who played her daughter in present day. Hahaha. Now I wonder if her father is Nam Joo Hyuk since the lady who plays her mother had to be Kim Tae Ri.

I laughed watching Kim Tae Ri trying to get herself in trouble so that she could transfer to another school. All this time (from the preview) I thought she has a crush on Nam Joo Hyuk and was chasing him around. Turns out she was chasing her fencing idol. Haha. Anyway, I'm already banking the person she's chatting with on the PC is Nam Joo Hyuk.

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

I finished the first episode and quite enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to see the next episodes to hear more about the others characters stories and their growth.. 

I knew the writer from her previous work of search www and her comedic scenes didn't disappoint :laugh: 

The PD cinematography is really good! 

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

I watched NJH in Bride Water God and quickly regret it 😅. However, he's unrecognizable here. He seems have grown and matured a lot in acting. 

Ep 1 is a bit slow and not sure if it's my genre. However I'll give it more episodes too see. As it's really funny especially when she tried to join the gang fight. And their growing (supposedly ?) romance looks endearing. 

I also can relate to the drama as the FL receiving a lot of comfort from comic books Full House that she read. When I was young reading book & comic also give me a lot of happiness, sometimes it's a lot more consoling than family or friends's solace. The old cassette player, pager, also giving me a lot of nostalgic feelings. The chatting room with blue screen is not from my era though hahaha...

Thanks @LaLafor letting me know about this drama. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Love love love 1st episode. Was very charming and I do like the setting of the show as there was much nostalgia for me seeing that era. I thought the 1st episode had a good balance of comedy and heart. I laughed seeing Hee Do's crazy plans to get herself transferred and I particularly like that moment where they talk outside the club. The advice that Yi Jin gave her was right though it was tinge with abit of sadness given that he had likely realised it himself when his family went bankrupt. Hee Do is at a point where she's just ready to conquer the world; Yi Jin given his experiences and family situation is more jaded and more matured. Pretty interesting dynamics.

Amazing that Kim Tae Ri  who is 32 this year plays Nam Hee Do so much youthful energy which I envy.  I know Nam Joo Hyuk's acting may not be as strong sometimes but I like him here - it suits him playing a quiet laidback character and it is believable that he is older than her 3 years in the show. And their scenes together were good too. 

I really like the coach. She's quite a character and I wonder what's the history between her and Hee Do's mum. Also curious about who Hee Do's daughter's father is. Her surname is Kim but Yi Jin is Baek...so hmmm is he not the father or she never told him about their daughter? Hehe..the speculations will begin

• Like 7

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

9 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

He seems have grown and matured a lot in acting. 

Comparing to his first emotional scenes in Weightlifting Fairy, he has become a lot better. Before this drama, his previous project Light in Your Eyes also showed how much growth he has in the past years. That story is beautiful and he did a great job in there. A little spoiler for you to see his emotional scenes in ep 2.

And they really used the song by Jaurim for this scenes.. Song title Twenty Five, Twenty One.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

@SilverMoonTea @LaLa I think Nam Joo Hyuk's acting improved too. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I was able to connect with his character in the first two episodes. 

Hee Do's personality is so refreshing considering the time the story is set in. I can't help but smile every time she's on screen. I am excited to see these two grow as individuals. :heart:

2521-01v2.gif

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

Just started watching this! Can’t believe actress taking on Na Hee Do’s role is actually 31! And older than NJH too! Wondering what BTS are like for them. 

NJH is starting to pick roles that suit him better. There were some hits and missed in his earlier choices but I think he’s starting to do quite well now. Let’s hope it continues this way for him. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
21 hours ago, LaLa said:

For anyone who's wondering who played the adult version of Hee Doo, she's a musical actress Kim So Hyun. If I'm not wrong this is her first tv screen role that she ever took. 

Ahh! No wonder she looked so familiar! I used to watch her and her husband on Immortal Songs. They are adorable and she's such a sweet person. 

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

Wondering what BTS are like for them. 

It doesn't seem awkward from what I've seen. Here's a small clip, I think tvN will release the full video on their YT after a day or two. 

Episode 3 Preview

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Completed watching both the episodes.. and i take back my statement.... NJH has improved.... A LOTTT.... 

His eyes when those Debtors were blasting at him.... I cried....!

KTR .... what can I say? she is always my fav.... the way she walks....it has all the carefree teenage vibe.... cannot really blame her for being comical because the character needed it...

I cannot wait to see them meeting again at 25 and 21.... i have a feeling this will happen in ep 5...

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

8 hours ago, gilaswan said:

He’s acting 4 years older when he’s actually 4 years younger! 

I am actually very impressed with this.  If I didn't check her bio I would not have known she's older. And props to NJH because he does give off that older vibe and I can feel the weight of the world on his shoulders. 

Something about the story telling and the characters here that I find completely relatable. Maybe I always like coming of age tales. The show has so far been able to balance the hardship of those times (especially seeing what Yi Jin has gone through) with humor and heart. The leads interactions feel natural and Do Hee's youthful energy & cheerful disposition are the perfect antidote for Yi Jin's low spirits 

I love all the other characters here even Yu Rim who was rather defensive with her interactions with her number one fan Do Hee. I was going to dislike her but seeing her with Yi Jin, she too was going through a tough time. I can understand why she was rather cold to Do Hee since she probably sees DH as a real threat & rival given that DH defeated her at a junior level competition. I am actually looking forward to how their relationship would change over the course of the show.

Then there's pretty boy Ji Woong ( woot so happy to see our Woo Chan from Racket Boys here @mademoiselle) and even overachieving class president Seung Wan. Although the NJH and KTR are the main leads, the story is written to cover all 5 characters . So will there be a love triangle btwn Ji Woong , Yu Rim and Seung Wan? I kind of like the diaper buddies crossing over to become lovers. 

@ktcjdrama @Dhakra  try this if you have time. Very good premiere episodes. A nice retro slice of life with romance.  

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1