Twenty-Five Twenty-One 스물다섯 스물하나 [2022]

bai

A great foundation to build a relationship/marriage is when you bring out the best in each other, when the other person makes you desire or strive to be a better person, and when the other person makes you a better person. Our OTP here have just these ❤️ Lovely. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Good grief! I guess am officially old fart now!? Remembering the old ways of mobile communication has totally put checkmate on my forehead.

And the question still remains where Kim Man Chae came from.  I hope I don’t get distracted looking for clues while watching this drama.  I’m getting a strong feeling will not know until maybe the last episodes.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Min Chae reaction was my reaction when I found out about the lovey dovey scenes from the pre release clip this morning and during the live streaming.. :laugh:

I think the director will use every card in his sleeve to make the most memorable scenes in every episode for a brilliant directing.. 

In this scene above, we can see that path Hee Do had to go through is dark and lonely. And it was a long one until she could stand and participate in international level. However, after those dark and long path, finally it's time for her to shine and brought her own name as the representative for her country.. wah it's just really crazy :1000:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

1 hour ago, LaLa said:

In this scene above, we can see that path Hee Do had to go through is dark and lonely. And it was a long one until she could stand and participate in international level. However, after those dark and long path, finally it's time for her to shine and brought her own name as the representative for her country.. wah it's just really crazy

I really love when the flood of spotlight came on! 

From preview, it seems that she will not win the gold medal though... I'm fine with that, coz it's her first time competing in such a big event, and earlier she gave YR all the tips on how to take her on :laugh: I guess I also do not need to worry that she will be feeling down because of it, knowing how positive-minded she is, haha...

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Hello! I have a question, when Yijin left it was around summer or early autumn, and it said in the caption that 3 months has passed and we see Heedo training hard and them missing each other and it's early winter because of the snow. Then when Yijin left for Seoul, the caption said that after 5 months, he's already a news reporter trainee. How come the daughter said when Heedo introduced her "bf" that they been apart for 6 months? In my calculation, it's more than that, they were apart for 8-9 months. Was it an error in translation?

Thank you!

BTW, this drama is my new addiction! It makes me soooo happy every SAT-SUN. Weekends please come faster! :CharmanderYay:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

LOL! Yi Jin's parents are hilarious. I was cringing (and feeling bad) for Yi Jin having to type out all the lovey dovey replies for his mum to his dad. :lmao2: It does bring back memories that I was also my dad's personal assistant when it comes to using PC. That said, Yi Jin has a good, loving family where his mother still loves his father after all this ordeal. And both sides of the aunt/uncle were willing to take them in and take care of them.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 8

Been a bit busy, so I haven't had time to write my thoughts but...

I LOOOOOOOVEEEE this drama :heart::heart::heart:  It's probably by favourite for this year so far..

Everything about it is my cup of tea. From the nostalgia elements to the music to the messages abour perseverance and grit to the super sweet, super cute romance which is so healthy in terms of how empathetic and supportive these 2 are of each other. Also Baek Yi Jin is correct...I'm not sure if I'm in love with him or his sports car  :laugh::laugh::laugh: No, it's definitely him. I have not felt this way about Nam Joo Hyuk since Weightlifting Fairy...he is just looking so damn good...also the fact that he's so aware and looking out for Hee Do is melt worthy.

Anyway, while I've been lazy to write, I did weirdly enough make time to create a podcast episode about some of my thoughts/ answering questions for newer drama friends. Maybe it was just easier to talk :idk: 

I feel self-concious to share so it's in the spoiler, but it seems to be going ok so far...so if you can stand listening to my voice for 45 mins, here are some thoughts about things to do with Twenty Five Twenty One :MewHi:

Spoiler

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@JenL Awww... I can't listen to that while at work. You should type it out in a blog or some place... text is also more accessible than voice. Please please please share your theories here in text? :D

I love this drama too. I have not liked a drama this much in a long time. I still think NJH has a good way to go as an actor, but as I've said before, this role does suit him (though I still think he could emote a bit better in some scenes). 

Some random thoughts this morning - BYJ's mother seems very sheltered. She clearly didn't come from a wealthy background, but as a younger sister to a clearly protective older brother, and then getting married to a man who took care of all her material needs, she does seem like the helpless woman without a man. Typical of women in that generation, at least from the middle class? These would be women in their 70s and 80s now. She didn't even know how to type and had to have Yijin do it for her (cheesiness and all. Poor Yijin...)

Was his father then also a self-made man? Both parents must've come from a humble background. Perhaps Yijin wasn't immediately born into wealth, though he must have been at least comfortable to begin with. He's a very humble child for someone whose father was extremely wealthy. 

One thing I don't get - why was his father considered a financial criminal? He just went bankrupt. Why would that be considered a crime? If it were a crime, he would be in jail, no? Was that a translation error, or is it a cultural perception thing? I should read up on the IMF crisis. Can't say I paid attention to it way back then... 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Some random thoughts this morning - BYJ's mother seems very sheltered. She clearly didn't come from a wealthy background, but as a younger sister to a clearly protective older brother, and then getting married to a man who took care of all her material needs, she does seem like the helpless woman without a man. Typical of women in that generation, at least from the middle class? These would be women in their 70s and 80s now. She didn't even know how to type and had to have Yijin do it for her (cheesiness and all. Poor Yijin...)

Not sure if she's helpless kind of woman however I think Yi Jin's parents were born in the 50-60s because Yi Jin was born in the late 70s (Around 1977 since he said he's 23 in 1999). Generations as earlier than the 70s is expected not be good at computer or mobile phones since these are new technologies from the 90s. This includes typing and using a mouse. My dad can't coordinate his fingers when it comes to clicking the mouse. In this instances, it makes total sense why Yi Jin had to type for his mother (and it'd have been faster for him to do it for her—they aren't typing in English so the combination of Korean alphabets are everywhere on the keyboard).

4 hours ago, gilaswan said:

One thing I don't get - why was his father considered a financial criminal? He just went bankrupt. Why would that be considered a crime? If it were a crime, he would be in jail, no? Was that a translation error, or is it a cultural perception thing? I should read up on the IMF crisis. Can't say I paid attention to it way back then... 

I didn't think he's a criminal either but rather the company went bankrupt and couldn't pay out his employees so he was hiding from them. Businessmen never use their own money to do business so he must have lots of debts he can't repay. Although I thought once someone declares bankrupcy, they don't have to repay it. Maybe there are some debts that still need to pay and he's not paying hence, considered a criminal.

He was also being dodgy by opening a subsidiary company under his youngest son's name when he's still a minor. Perhaps there's repercussion from this since it's likely illegal. This reminded me of Park Bo Gum's court case where his dad used him as a guarantor (when he's still a minor) to loan money.

https://www.soompi.com/article/828465wpp/park-bo-gum-revealed-to-have-filed-for-bankruptcy-in-the-past-currently-all-resolved

https://www.soompi.com/article/829693wpp/more-details-about-park-bo-gums-resolved-bankruptcy-case-revealed

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Episodes 3 + 4

Now that I haven't been writing my thoughts each week I've become so slack at it! I'm really enjoying the coming of age aspect of this series. There's something so cute about all the character's interactions with each other - obviously Hee Do and Yi Jin are cute together, but even if you look at Yu Rim and Yi Jin // Seung Wan and Ji Woong // Ji Woong and Yu Rim, I find all the interactions endearing! There's something about the way they talk that is a bit quirky, but also warm and not over the top or alienating (which I felt was the case with Run On for me personally, even though the dialogue was fun). For example, I love every time Ji Woong is trying to get close to Yu Rim :heart:

Or Yi Jin told Yu Rim her first love was his sports car and not him. Even though it was a rejection, it felt quirky and funny with a reall truth to it. I feel like that sounds about right too because damn when I see his sports car, I also feel a rush of love :laugh: Also they keep shoving Nam Joo Hyuk into suits and it's making him look good. Like I don't consider myself a diehard NJH fan, but he's really doing something right in this drama :cool:

I love how Hee Do and Yi Jin really look out and protect each other. Like even though he didn't really outline everything happening to him, Hee Do was so aware of his situation that she tried to protect him from creditors. And then when she made that mistake since it was his dad, I really liked that was so empathetic and in pain about it that she ran around for 2 hours trying to fix her mistake. Also his reaction to it all was so gentle and making sure she wasn't hurt from the whole ordeal - I mean, when I started watching K-dramas, a mistake like that would mean the guy would be yelling at the girl even if he 'really liked her'. But Yi Jin's character was so fully aware that Hee Do was just trying to help him. :heart:

I felt so bad for Yi Jin in terms of the job interviews - I hate job hunting. It's such a depressing process but all the more because he was already in a low place with all the creditors bullying him. But as depressing as it gets watching Yi Jin's life at times, I am loving the humour in this series - like there was something so hilarious in that scene where Hee Do was running from that guy she was in a fight with and then Yi Jin was driving alongside her asking why she was running away. :lol:  

WHAT ARE LOACHES BTW?!?! They look like slugs and I was highly disturbed by that soup :SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke:

And then I'm in love with the romance in this series -tit's so slow burn that it's just my thing. The whole banana milk replacement and fencing in the dark together was so cute! And all those sweet things he said about her being such a strong spirited person as well as how he wanted the best for her :BulbaOWO::wow: Yi Jin is definitely the one who'll know his feelings before she does!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

On 2/21/2022 at 11:35 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Agree with everyone about how sweet eps 4 was . My favourite scene was this because life can feel a lot better with a perspective change. Hee Do's enthusiasm and take on things is like a breath of fresh air. Just as he gives her advice & support , she brings much needed joy into his life. It is no wonder that YiJin is falling for her. And what's great about this show is that the 2nd romance makes me happy too.  In some ways Ji Woong has that same energy as Hee Do,  and  Yu Rim is responding positively to the attention he gives her. Adorable! 

I agree! It's nice that it's like 2 romance lines and 2 male-female friendship lines as well, but so far *knock on wood* it's not complicated like Do You Like Brahms style. That was such a love pentagon. This feels refreshing and clean, and even if there's angst, it feels like it'll be life issues rather than unrealistic love traingles etc :heiboi:

On 2/22/2022 at 1:24 AM, gilaswan said:

I hope it’s not a stupid misunderstanding that causes that lapse in time for them. 

I hope not too! ....But I really wouldn't put it past this being the reason. :nervous:

On 2/22/2022 at 2:29 AM, Tofu said:

I think we should brace ourselves for a sad ending but hope for a happy one.

This is the perfect way to put it I think. I always feel that nostalgia dramas and coming of age dramas (and this both) have this thing where the characters have to get over some really painful moment...and then they grow up. And things will never be the same again, but life also moves on and it's a different type of happiness. :idk: But I did see an interview where the director said this would be a sad series. But not sure what that means?!?! :lettalKWA:

On 2/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, movingwheel said:

@JenL nam joo hyuk did not even belong to a middle class family…. In literal words… he and his family used to come under poor bracket.. he slogged like anything to reach where he is today..

This is so admirable! I think he looks like a really hard working person. He seems to always have so much on his plate! :heart:

On 2/22/2022 at 3:11 PM, bai said:

yeah so muchhhhh painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahaha...I feel like that quote about laughing when things are bad is a scary line because it sounds ominous like Hee Do will have to take her own advice :cry:

On 2/23/2022 at 1:16 PM, bai said:

fun facts

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/kim-tae-ri-diary-twenty-five-twenty-one-a4575-20220221?ref=hub_feed_kloka_1

The diary that was featured in the drama is actually owned by Taeri IRL! She mentioned this during Twenty Five, Twenty One's press conference: "Bona and I learned from the same teacher, and I got angry because I kept losing, so I did a lot of research. I wrote a diary every day. That diary was then actually used as Heedo’s diary in the drama, as a prop."

huhuhuhu I just know this, so cuteee Kim Taeriii 💗💗

Thanks for sharing this! The stationery lover in me is soooo charmed by this. I love that she actually kept a diary and it was made into a real prop for her character. So much more meaningful :heart::wow:

On 2/25/2022 at 8:11 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Btw, have you guys noticed that in present time scenes, they took care to show the people are wearing masks. I wonder why, when all the other dramas don’t bother with this detail of RL condition. It’s always as if the pandemic is non-existent in kdramaland. 

I think it marks the change in time. Like no one would think a pandemic was going to happen in 2020...and as it just happened, we see it and realise clearly that this is our time...but then when we see box computers and TVs, we understand it's 1998 again :cool:

On 2/27/2022 at 3:36 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Their bond together is just written and developed so well. I really like how we're shown their mirroring actions of calling the voicemail and kept replaying, then later Yi Jin turning on the faucet and looking up at the falling snow, cut to Hee Do looking up and then turning on the faucet, then that running together scene. Like you said, it's crazily beautiful!! I love this episode!! 

I totally agree! I love this style of romance. It's so beautifully slow-burn, and there's an unspoken romantic tension where the feelings are so present and meaningful. It's not about dates or presents or kissing (although that will come with time), but about the actual mutual care and deep connection they have with one another. :BulbaOWO::BulbaOWO::BulbaOWO:

• Heart Eyes 3

On 2/28/2022 at 12:49 AM, Mizv said:

Good grief! I guess am officially old fart now!? Remembering the old ways of mobile communication has totally put checkmate on my forehead.

Hahaha aren't we all? :laugh:

I mean, I am still 18 *coughs* :lol:

On 2/28/2022 at 7:54 AM, Mizv said:

This is my favorite scene today.  I couldn’t help laugh. His mom talking and him typing what she is say

On 2/28/2022 at 9:25 PM, mademoiselle said:

LOL! Yi Jin's parents are hilarious. I was cringing (and feeling bad) for Yi Jin having to type out all the lovey dovey replies for his mum to his dad. :lmao2: It does bring back memories that I was also my dad's personal assistant when it comes to using PC. That said, Yi Jin has a good, loving family where his mother still loves his father after all this ordeal. And both sides of the aunt/uncle were willing to take them in and take care of them.

This made me laugh so much. My expression was like Yi Jin's...like what is wrong with you people?! :lenny:

On 2/28/2022 at 12:48 PM, Unnie0110 said:

Hello! I have a question, when Yijin left it was around summer or early autumn, and it said in the caption that 3 months has passed and we see Heedo training hard and them missing each other and it's early winter because of the snow. Then when Yijin left for Seoul, the caption said that after 5 months, he's already a news reporter trainee. How come the daughter said when Heedo introduced her "bf" that they been apart for 6 months? In my calculation, it's more than that, they were apart for 8-9 months. Was it an error in translation?

Thank you!

BTW, this drama is my new addiction! It makes me soooo happy every SAT-SUN. Weekends please come faster! :CharmanderYay:

Yay glad you're watching this @Unnie0110 :heart: I can't help you because I'm totally bad at maths :laugh: But I am so happy you love this series too. I think something about this type of romance reminds me so much of Dodosolsollalasol...like a deeper, meaningful, more slow burn type romance with a lot of humour and warmth as well :wow:

#

On 2/28/2022 at 12:49 AM, Mizv said:

And the question still remains where Kim Man Chae came from.  I hope I don’t get distracted looking for clues while watching this drama.  I’m getting a strong feeling will not know until maybe the last episodes.  

10 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@JenL Awww... I can't listen to that while at work. You should type it out in a blog or some place... text is also more accessible than voice. Please please please share your theories here in text? :D

I love this drama too. I have not liked a drama this much in a long time. I still think NJH has a good way to go as an actor, but as I've said before, this role does suit him (though I still think he could emote a bit better in some scenes). 

Hehe, all good. So this is a summary of the theories I compiled on my Podcast:

1. Yi Jin changed names and then had to leave due to something with his family issue/ Hee Do had to leave for safety/ practical reasons. So the kid doesn't know her dad is him and that's why she has a different last name.

2. The daughter is not Hee Do's daughter, but is Yu Rim's or Seung Wan's and Hee Do adopted her. Then of course she wouldn't have a adopted dad if Hee Do didn't get married. Hee Do and Yi Jin drifted apart and could be brought back together by this daughter.

3. Hee Do got pregnant, but left Yi Jin either because of a misunderstanding or noble idiocy or something like that and the kid's last name is made up or changed to prevent her from looking for her dad. Hee Do and Yi Jin drifted apart and could be brought back together by this daughter.

4. Hee Do and Yi Jin have a kid but Yi Jin dies young (there's a lot of foreshadowing here - the fact they mention Romeo and Juliet, that line where Hee Do talks about laughing when things are sad etc.). The kid has a different name and doesn't know Yi Jin because Hee Do remarried and she thinks her stepdad is her dad.

5. Hee Do and Yi Jin never got together - either because he died before it happened or they drifted apart. The kid is from a new relationship in her adult life.

I'm hoping it's not the last one out of all of these :letalQQ:

As for NJH as an actor, I think he's a very good actor in certain roles - he definitely pulls of college kid type roles very well and he can also do sad/ numb characters quite well. But I think his expressions and projections of emotion are very subtle rather than really animated. I think if he was to play a super lively character like Hee Do or a very extra type fantasy character or mafia boss, I don't know if it'd be belivable...he'd have to work harder. I have not seen that one where he's a water god, but I heard a lot of criticisms there...though it might also have been no chemistry with the female lead. :heiboi:

10 hours ago, gilaswan said:

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

He was also being dodgy by opening a subsidiary company under his youngest son's name when he's still a minor. Perhaps there's repercussion from this since it's likely illegal. This reminded me of Park Bo Gum's court case where his dad used him as a guarantor (when he's still a minor) to loan money.

https://www.soompi.com/article/828465wpp/park-bo-gum-revealed-to-have-filed-for-bankruptcy-in-the-past-currently-all-resolved

https://www.soompi.com/article/829693wpp/more-details-about-park-bo-gums-resolved-bankruptcy-case-revealed

I agree with @mademoiselle. I think also 'criminal' can be used broadly as the IMF crisis was caused by Chaebols over-borrowing money for their businesses. This was not really their fault as the government made the value of the Korean currency, the won, the same as the value of the USD, so they were mistaken. But there was also an element of some Chaebols who kind of knew about this and were involved in corrupt activities as usual. So Yi Jin's dad, in using a minor and over-borrowing might be viewed with distain. :MewHi:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

This was my favorite moment in eps 6 when she wondered how things would have turned out if she had not known him before this . In his imagination, he would have still saved her from disqualifying because they were destined to meet no matter what . That scene was sweet , funny and poignant .

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

KTR tested positive for Covid. So filming is suspended till March 4th but schedule is not affected as they have pre-produced most of the episodes. So far the other cast members are not affected

https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/A2022030211250003959?did=NA

Wishing her a speedy recovery.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring