Dr. Brain | Dr.브레인 [2021]

vTJq4oH.jpg

Plot Summary

When Lee Se-Won (Lee Sun-Kyun) was a child, his mother died in a hit and run accident. He decided afterwards to become a brain scientist. He is a genius and he remembers everything he sees. 20 years after his mother's death, Lee Se-Won has become a famous Ph.D scientist in the brain science field. One day, a mysterious person contacts him and asks him to extract information from the brain of a man who committed suicide. Lee Se-Won is interested and accepts the proposal. He attempts to extract information from the dead man's brain, but fails. A couple of days later, he finds himself behaving differently and seeing things differently. Lee Se-Won looks into the dead man's case.

Casts

source: AsianWiki

Preview Trailer

Episode Titles:

• Episode 1 – Loss of Life
  • Episode 2 – Mind Games
  • Episode 3 – Soul Searcher
  • Episode 4 – Back in Time
  • Episode 5 – Flashback
  • Episode 6 – A Certain Smell
Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Party! 4

10639145?s=280&v=4

Press Release

March 3, 2021

Apple orders international series “Dr. Brain” from visionary filmmaker Kim Jee-Woon and starring Lee Sun-Kyun

New Korean sci-fi thriller to debut globally later this year on Apple TV+

Dr. Brain webtoon

Coming soon to Apple TV+, “Dr. Brain” is a new sci-fi thriller based on the widely popular Korean webtoon.

Apple TV+ today announced an expansion of its sweeping international slate with a series order for “Dr. Brain,” a new sci-fi thriller based on the widely popular Korean webtoon that will be written and directed by visionary filmmaker KIM Jee-Woon (“A Tale of Two Sisters,” “I Saw the Devil”), and star SAG Award winner LEE Sun-Kyun (“Parasite”). The series marks the first Korean-language project for Apple TV+.

Now in production in South Korea and set to debut later this year, “Dr. Brain” is an emotional journey that follows a brain scientist who is obsessive about figuring out new technologies to access the consciousness and memories of the brain. His life goes sideways when his family falls victim to a mysterious accident, and  he uses his skills to access memories from his wife’s brain to piece together the mystery of what actually happened to his family and why.

“Dr. Brain” is produced for Apple TV+ by Korea-based studio, Bound Entertainment, along with Kakao Entertainment, Studioplex and Dark Circle Pictures. The series will be directed and executive produced by KIM Jee-woon. Executive producers also include Samuel Yeunju Ha and Jamie Yuan Lai for Bound Entertainment; HAM Jung Yeub and Daniel Han for StudioPlex; Joy Jinsoo Lee and Min Young Hong for Kakao Entertainment; and Antonio H.W. Lee. The series is written by KIM Jin A, KOH YoungJae and KIM Jee-woon, and is based on the original story by CHO Jae-hong and webtoon by Hongjacga.

Spoiler

The series will join a growing slate of Apple Original international dramas hailing from global award-winning storytellers, including highly anticipated series “Pachinko,” the Korean, Japanese and English-language drama series based on the acclaimed novel, and written and executive produced by Soo Hugh; “Masters of the Air,” a new limited drama series from Apple Studios and executive produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television, and Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman’s Playtone; “Slow Horses,” an international espionage thriller starring Academy Award winner Gary Oldman; “Shantaram,” based on Gregory David Robert’s best-selling novel and starring Charlie Hunnam; “Echo 3,” a new action-thriller set entirely between South America and the US, and written by Academy Award-winning producer and writer Mark Boal; “Acapulco,” a new Spanish and English language half-hour comedy series starring and executive produced by Eugenio Derbez; “The Essex Serpent” starring Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG Award winner Claire Danes; and, “Suspicion,” a high-paced thriller starring Uma Thurman and based on the award-winning Israeli series “False Flag.”

Source

Oh sorry @mademoiselle If you are need the space to add other details, just ask mods to delete this post. I forgot.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 7
28 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Is this your cuppa?

Might be! When I read the title I thought it's the same 'Brain' Japanese drama. That Japanese drama was really good!  But no.. I don't think it's the same because the plot is different :lmao2:

Spoiler

AppleTv now is also following Netflix huh... getting kdramas into their line up 

• Like 3
  • Party! 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@mademoiselle Yes, I am interested. I'm not really sure at this point if I can access it from the usual places but I will definitely look into it when it drops. 

I caught the trailer on my feed yesterday and it looked amazing. Lee Sun-kyun is a fine actor but it's the sci-fi side of things that's gotten my attention. It looks like something the rest of the family might enjoy as well. We're a bunch of nerds and geeks. (We survived the Myth of Sisyphus)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@40somethingahjumma @im0202 This may be something of your viewing genre too since you both were watching Alice with me.

@gilaswan @Dhakra @SnowBlob @UnniSara @Mouse @Darkarcana @bairama @movingwheel @Lynne Is this your cuppa?

Is AppleTV+ the only platform hosting it? I find Koreans don't wrote sci-fi well. So far Alice and the other similar kdramas of the same genre started well but became a storytelling mess very quickly. Looks like most of you are up for it?

• Like 4

I'm toying with the idea of subscribing to AppleTV+ for a short period, or maybe consider the free trial because I'm interested in the adaptation of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series that they've produced which actually looks half decent. 

If I'm going to watch this show, I want to watch it on HD especially with all the sfx.

@mademoiselle Do you know if they're releasing all the episodes at the same time?

@gilaswan I've heard that this director is really good but he's done mainly movies.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Any news on Pachinko @movingwheel ? They have finished filming ages ago. But then I shan't complain because I'm super busy in Nov-Dec! Haha, I'm not Apple fan so it'll have to the dark side.

=== ===

I'm starting to feel that these streaming platforms want to bankrupt us. Do they expect us to subscribe to all these platforms to watch the dramas? There are so many of them. Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, iQiyi, WeTV, VIU, Viki, Hulu, Wavve, TVING, KakaoTV :PsyWhat: and more.

Hmm, @stroppyse I don't quite recall meeting you in any Sci-Fi drama thread but then you did watch Space Sweepers for SJK so perhaps you would be interested in this too for Lee Sun Kyun? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

zapzee_bi_postive.png

Apple TV Plus’s First Original Korean Series ‘Dr. Brain’ Is Something You’ve Never Seen Before

by krishkim | Nov 3, 2021

‘Dr. Brain‘, director Kim Jee Woon’s first-ever TV series and Apple TV Plus’s first original Korean series, is all ready to greet the viewers.

vqPSyS3.jpg

Credit: Apple TV Plus

As an SF thriller based on a popular webtoon, Dr. Brain depicts what the genius brain scientist experiences as he accesses the dead people’s brains. The series held its online press conference on the 3rd.

Kim Jee Woon, called the master of genres, has produced highly-acclaimed movies like A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, and The Age of Shadows. For the first time in 23 years of his career, Kim directed a TV series.

Kim shared, “I’ve only made movies, and this is my first TV series. I’m both excited and worried. I worked on it, thinking that I’m making my debut.” Then how did he describe his new project? “It’s a series that can’t be explained with one word. It’s a thriller that unfolds in a unique way. He (the main character) approaches the truth by unraveling the mystery about a terrible and unfortunate accident that happened to him. You could say that it’s a family mystery or SF thriller. In a way, it’s also a brain-chasing or memory-chasing series.”

ULTaZyg.jpg

Credit: Apple TV Plus

Parasite actor Lee Sun Kyun plays Go Se Won, a genius brain scientist who cannot empathize with other people’s emotions. “The biggest reason I chose the project is director Kim Jee Woon,” the actor shared. “I also enjoyed the script. It dealt with a unique material that I had not seen in Korea before.” He added, “It’s a mystery thriller, but it also paints out family love. It’s a series that starts cold but finishes hot.”

Dr. Brain will be released on Apple TV around the world on November 4th.

“Since Korean content is receiving much love and attention, it is a great honor to have the work released on a global platform. I want to contribute to Korean content gaining more popularity,” Lee said. “This series is director Kim Jee Woon’s first drama and Apple TV Plus’s first original Korean series. So it’s different from other works released in OTT platforms and has more meanings.”

Source

• Like 4

I think, @Chocolate, you might actually like this. Suspence thriller + mysteries.

A good start for episode 1. Adequately introduce our protagonist and summarises his backstory. It was quick to get to the point of the main plot, which is syncing his brain waves with already 3 people by the end of the episode, and showing side-effects and hallucinations. The suspense was well-built up as well with a cinematic style of visual presentation.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

The mystery also pique your interest with the visit of an unknown man (Park Hee Soon) and police officers (Seo Ji Hye & Jo Bok Rae) asking Se Won the same question and Jae Yi ended up in a coma (?) or Se Won was crazy enough to sedate her because she fell into despair after their son's death.

Tagging @JenL Time to watch drama. 😂

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 2