15 hours ago, Tofu said:

I wished they didn't wait until the end to show us the story between Joon Gil and Goo Ryeon, but after watching the last two episodes, I guess it was a nice way to end the series.

I'm okay with the design and leaving their story to the last, as dramabeans recap had mentioned, it actually comes back in full circle for how it began so it made sense leaving it to the last.

15 hours ago, Tofu said:

We knew Joon Woong was not going to remember them, but I was a little sad watching that scene. I'd imagined Joon Woong running up to the three of them and giving them hugs while they all back off denying him of the hug. Haha! 

I must say I thought the scene was funny when Joon Woong woke up from his coma...because he literally behaved like he was waking up from a night's sleep and not knowing what's happened. Before sending Joon Woong back, Ryeon asked Joon Woong to come closer and Joon Woong raised his arms thinking she's asking for a hug, I thought it was funny that Ryung Gu was also ready to do a group hug :lmao2:

4 hours ago, JenL said:

I think this might be my favourite Rowoon project yet, which is weird since I really liked Extraordinary You and The King's Affection...but when there's a good second lead alongside him, I really cannot resist the second leads

I love EY (though not towards the near end coz it became repetitive) but not so much TKA because I didn't like Rowoon's character reduced to become weak like a damsel in distress needing rescue in the latter episodes. I would have liked it more if both he and Dam-i were both strong and complemented one another in what they lack. Sunbae is still my favourite when it comes to overall storyline + characterisation + screen time/focus. I love Chae Hyun Seung. I love Haru too but like everyone said, the character is pretty plain. I like Choi Joon Woong too except some episodes there are so little of him...

4 hours ago, JenL said:

He has advanced in the Tier system...and who knows @mademoiselle...maybe one day I will also be on the same level as you in worship :lol:

Hahahaha please hurry up & catch up soon, just in case.

4 hours ago, JenL said:

The only thing I felt was lacking in some episodes was the resolution of the issue - the path to recovery for things like eating disorders and sexual assault wouldn't be that smooth...and so I feel like they missed an opportunity to advocate for things like therapy or starting to change your mindset with a support group which would have been more realistic.

I agree with you on this. The eating disorder was my least favourite topic in terms of how it was executed and presented. It is less relatable for me too, but then on Twitter so many people resonated with it so I was surprised. As for the sexual assault, I was mad but I think it was so toned down for some reason. However the victim blaming I can relate. I find it's something Asian family will often do as well—making you feel like you're the one who asked for this to happen. I also feel things like Ryeon beating them up etc was more of a temporary relief to make us feel better but in reality, there's not going to be a grim reaper or guardian angel going around kicking someone's a$$ for us and bring them to justice.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3

@Tofu That FMV is really good. It captures scenes and dialogues that were important which I've forgotten! Still watching, didn't expect it to be so long. Hahaha. And HURRAY, you finished the drama! :Party01:

On 5/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, JenL said:

Arc 10 Ryeon + Jung Gil's story Again I felt so bad for how women always take the blame if they're possibly sexually assulted (and it didn't even happen). This was such a sad love story, one that pierced my heart a little. And I was thinking, damn, must have been super torurous seeing your husband from your past life for thousands of years but him not knowing your history together

Learning this to be real in history actually made me angry. In real life though, I do believe the rape happened and they were worst than what was painted in the drama. I doubt they were so lucky like Ryeon to be able to escape. Most of them were taken to Qing and could only return when their family paid ransom. After losing the battle, Joseon had to send women to Qing all the time, including sending the royal princess. There's not a lot of information online though, but I think I've read enough to fume over it. And so many years later... Russia vs Ukraine... women are still the victim.

I really like the love story though... sad yes but I think that's why it was intriguing.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I must say I thought the scene was funny when Joon Woong woke up from his coma...because he literally behaved like he was waking up from a night's sleep and not knowing what's happened.

Hahaha! I KNOW! For a moment there I thought he remembered because of how quickly he woke up. :laugh:

Goodbye to Lee Soo Hyuk, I hope you get a male lead role next time!

TMW-21.gif

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I just wonder if Ryeon and Jung Gil will remain Grim Reapers forever since they have no connection otherwise.

This drama seemed determined to wring so many tears out of me. I'm glad I watched, though I'm not sure that I'll ever do a rewatch. There were a number of humorous moments, but what remains in my memories are the aggrievances throughout the ages, and that are continues till this day.

• Like 4

Lately I find it easier to talk through my thoughts than write them down. Haha I referred to you Mademoiselle vaguely in passing as someone who would kill me if I ever said anything bad about Rowoon :laugh: Although I have nothing bad to say about him because his hair was so nice in this series and I liked his character :pandahehe:  My main criticisms of this drama, like most people, is that it didn't address how people could resolve their issues in ways that didn't involve Reaper intervention or just 'getting over' things :idk:

• Haha 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

• 2 weeks later...

@Chocolate I don't know how far you watched...

Ryeon and Joong Gil were revealed to be husband and wife in their past life. Were you aware of this?

Ryeon was "The Returning Lady" - i.e., women who were abducted by Qing (China) when Qing invaded Joseon. The women who returned to Joseon were mistreated by their own people due to them having to have lost their "virtue". In Ryeon's case, it doesn't seem like she was raped and she and a bunch of women managed to escape and return home. Nonetheless, the people think they should have died to defend their virtue rather than staying alive. Joong Gil tried to protect her and in the end "lost" himself by killing these people. They had an argument. To stop him, Ryeon decided to end her own life. The lost was so great and painful to Joong Gil that it wounded his soul. Even after 2 reincarnation, the soul didn't heal or "forget" the pain. His past life had asked Jade Emperor to lock away his memory but the soul was so wounded which is why his subsconcious despised those who chose to suicide.

In the last two episodes, Ryeon experience Joong Gil's perspective as she wanted to protect the reincarnated servant who died to protect her and she became how Joong Gil was, going rogue and beating up the Knetz. Meanwhile, thanks to Joon Woong's probing, Joong Gil went into his dream and finally remember his past. He therefore was able to understand the reason why Ryeon did what she did in the past.

So, I guess that settles their differences..?

• Thanks 1

Thanks @mademoiselle. I only knew they were husband and wife, so you've filled up the gaps.

Poor Ryeon, all these years they working as grim reapers/suicide squad, did she continue to love him?

So the ending - they don't get back together? Or do they now reincarnate...

On 6/2/2022 at 10:07 PM, JenL said:

Lately I find it easier to talk through my thoughts than write them down.

OMG, for a moment, I was wondering if the podcast (is that what it is called?) is 57sec, then realised it's 57 minutes! 😱 That's a lot of thoughts 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Chocolate I do think she loves him, otherwise she wouldn't continue to wear the red/pink eye shadow as it's a symbolism of her memory with Joong Gil. However, she knows that the Grim Reaper Joong Gil is no longer her husband, having already reincarnated twice. You should pick the drama back up, albeit not the main focus and really short, their backstory is tragically beautiful due to that time period. In the finale, it was so impactful when Joong Gil calls her "Ryeon-ah". :heart:

Sometimes I forget that really horrible things happened to people in the past, much worse than our lives now, and we should really be kind and treasure the good life we have. Which is why I am sad when people/politicians/countries cause chaos deliberately to disrupt peace. Like, why can't we all just try to get along?

Do they get back together? — It's an open ending but they look at each other fondly now. :heart:

94f6e0d38753e2d113a039fc39d863d581bfb6c4

And no, they didn't reincarnate. I do think they chose not to, or at least it's not time for them yet. At least not in the next 50+ years since she was going to wait for 50 years for Joon Woong to officially visit Jumadeung.

• Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

OMG, for a moment, I was wondering if the podcast (is that what it is called?) is 57sec, then realised it's 57 minutes! 😱 That's a lot of thoughts 😂

Hahahaha yes! And that's why I can't write them all down or it would be like a book :laugh: 

I also think I'm a pretty slow talker, so 57 mins is very much me just talking slowly :lol: But then again I think most podcasts are for an hour, drama related or otherwise...there's another drama podcaster whose episodes are 1.5 hours long... :lettalKWA: I find her podcasts a bit rambley though. My favourite ones are 30-60 mins long with thoughtful structured content...which I hope mine is :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...