Tracer 트레이서 [2022]

Tofu

4th teaser

Source: Soompi

“Tracer” is a new drama taking place at the National Tax Service. Im Siwan stars as Hwang Dong Joo, a new team manager of the Seoul Regional Office’s Investigation Bureau, while Go Ah Sung is Seo Hye Young, a fellow team member at the Seoul Regional Office who is unafraid to face the cowardly world head-on. Son Hyun Joo plays In Tae Joon, the commissioner of the Seoul Regional Office who dreams of becoming something bigger. Park Yong Woo takes on the role of Oh Young, who was once the ace of the National Tax Service but is now the section chief who doesn’t believe in doing any work. The drama is written by scriptwriter Kim Hyun Jung and helmed by director Lee Seung Young of “Voice 2” and “The Missing.”

The new teaser begins with Hwang Dong Joo handing in his resignation letter as he says, “I’m repaying you for the kindness you’ve shown me with ingratitude.” This raises curiosity about his character while he chases after all kinds of corruption related to money in his own way.

Seo Hye Young, who can’t stand unfairness, previews her outstanding intuition while she announces a head-to-head battle with foul money as she yells, “I can’t quit like this!”

In Tae Joon, an ambitious dreamer who dreams of becoming the head of the National Tax Service, reveals the face of a meticulous strategist, saying, “Let’s decide if he’s worthy enough to hold in our hands.”

Oh Young is a realist, and he joins in on the pursuit of bad money as he says, “I never said that I’m going to give up.”

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm already looking forward to smarty pants Siwan. :wow2:

He's going to a pretty colorful character!

They will appear on Knowing Bros

Some extracts I got off the press con 

Spoiler

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Im Si-wan and Go Ah-seong's 'Tracer', the first broadcast viewing point

http://enews.imbc.com/News/RetrieveNewsInfo/335032

What are the key elements of the story that should not be missed in the first broadcast?

1. Why did a successful accountant 'rolled in' to the National Tax Service?!

In the play, Hwang Dong-ju (Im Si-wan) is a former accountant who worked as the best accountant in the industry to manage the back money of a large corporation. However, unexpected things happen when he suddenly quits the company and becomes an investigator of the National Tax Service and joins the 5th Division called 'garbage dump'. In the first episode, which will be aired on the 7th (tomorrow), attention is focused on what is the reason he left the place where he enjoyed wealth and success and headed to the National Tax Service, and the hidden story is revealed.

2. Unexpected ties in Division 5 ! Focusing on the relationships of entangled characters

Hwang Dong-ju, who has been assigned as the team leader of Division 5 tax bureaus, and Seo Hye-young (Go Ah-seong), a teammate at the crossroads between resignation and remaining, exude unusual chemistry from the first meeting. The strange dissonance that two people with different personalities and values create within the same organization, as well as a special past relationship will be revealed. Look out for the  teamwork the three of them will show off, including Oh Young (Park Yong-woo), the head of the 5th Division, who used to be an 'ace' but is currently not doing much work.

3. Chasing 'bad money' by experts! The bare face of ambitions surrounding money and power!

The appearance of In Tae-joon (Son Hyeon-joo), a meticulous ambitious man dreaming of becoming the number one in the National Tax Service, is expected to infuse tension from the first episode. Having strong charisma, he forms a meaningful conflict with Hwang Dong-ju, who boasts outstanding skills, by his side.

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1

The 3 main leads were on the MBC radio show ...

Go Ah Sung feeling the pressure as they didn't realise that Tracer will take over The Red Sleeve's slot as it was supposed to be an OTT drama. 

FIaXBTTVgAE1SaX?format=png&name=900x900

At the radio show , Im Si Wan also talked about his preparation for Tracer including  hanging around the National Tax Agency and asking for advice so that he can see the tone of how the officers there will talk to their clients.

FIaX19AVQAATwfs?format=png&name=small

More stills

FIaZpx_VIAYkjK8?format=jpg&name=small

FIaZtVVVgAIlz3D?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

Love how close they are to be able to tease each other. They leads will be on Knowing Brothers to promote the show. A short teaser

ImSiWan: This is our 2nd time collaborating? Is there anything different from that time?
GoAhSung: It's been six years or so. You were 28 then & really handsome. Now less handsome, but more fun :laugh:

ISW: Is it a little less?

GAS: A little. Only I can recognize it

ISW: I’m glad it’s only a little less (made everyone laugh!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A real quick summary recap of eps 1 . I scrubbed through some cuts. Siwan at his best playing roles like this. 

FIg8cA6VIAElS2b?format=jpg&name=small

FIg8fGTVkAINaFk?format=jpg&name=small

Hwang Dong-ju (Im Si Wan)  was shocked by the death of his father, Hwang Chul-min (Park Ho-san).

At the scene of the accident, Hwang Dong-ju remembered his father and himself as a child. Hwang Dong-ju was in the courtroom, and Hwang Cheol-min was in the courtroom as a suspect. From other flashbacks, it is clear that Dong Ju and the father had a rather strained relationship. Dong Ju could not understand why the father had to fight this large conglomerate called PQ group. 

So Hwang Chul-min died, and at Hwang Chul-min's funeral, Seo Hye-young (Go Ah Sung) , an employee of the National Tax Service, came to see the CCTV video saying it was strange that his father's death was revealed to be a suicide.  Pricked in her conscience, she investigated the case of Hwang Chul-min's death and noticed something strange. Seo Hye-young said, "I got this from a reporter from Daejoo Ilbo. I checked all the CCTV records and there was no problem. But even if I can't see it, other people can see it, right?"

Seo Hye-young, who explained the reason for giving him the recording , said, "It is strange that the police investigation concluded so quickly as a suicide, and there should be no regrets for the bereaved family." [From what I understand she felt she should have dug more into the case his father was involved in but she didn't so I think that's why she felt guilty that someone's life may have collapsed due to her decision.]

Hye Young said I know you can't forgive me, but I'm sorry." Hwang Dong-ju, who heard this, replied, "I should say thank you, but I'm sorry I can't. Goodbye. And let's not see each other again."

Spoiler

Dong-Joo was awakened by his father's death , who was  fighting against the PQ group and died mysteriously. Hwang Dong-ju quit his accounting firm and became a Grade 5 civil servant of the National Tax Service. Dong Ju was actually an ace accountant who was doing very well when he quit. 

Hwang Dong-ju, who entered the Namju Regional Tax Office, was very  good at what he did and impressed his then superior, Director Noh Seon-joo . He solved the problem of Byeon Bong-seok, the troublemaker of Director Noh Seon-joo.  This was a 2.05 billion won in tax evasion case.

Spoiler

Hwang Dong-ju, who impressed Noh , revealed what he wanted as a reward. He wanted to sent  to the tax bureau. Noh was aware of Dong Joo's intentions. Noh  said, "If there is anything you want to ask, ask and go. It was not a coincidence that you came here. Did you come here knowing who I am? You have something you had wanted to ask about  that time. But for now, thank you. I plan to cherish this 4 year relationship. Someday when I ask for help, I will pay the price of this relationship I hope you will repay me in return,” he answered honestly. Yes, Dong Ju worked tirelessly for 4 years to have a shot of being sent to the Central Tax Office . This was his plan to investigate his father's case. 

Hwang Dong-ju decided to use In Tae-joon (Son Hyeon-joo), the head of the Central Regional Tax Office. He decided to become his right hand man. In Tae-joon,  seems to have a deep relationship with his father. 

In Tae-joon (Son Hyeon-joo), the head of the central regional tax office, saw Hwang Dong-joo (Im Si-wan) and said, "I almost didn't recognize you." Hwang Dong-ju said, “I just wanted to work in a higher place. Do you think it will be okay here?” He pointed to the position of the head of the National Tax Service. Hwang Dong-ju added, "I will help you run to this position you want."

When In Tae-joon asks, “Why?” Hwang Dong-joo said, “I want to repay you. I will repay you for the kindness you gave to my father.” Hwang Dong-joo told In Tae-joon, "To me, it looks like a lord like a foolish castle. Please use me,” he said confidently.

Tae-Jun In asked, "Do you think I can trust you that much?" Dong-Joo Hwang said, "Are you still hungry, President? Then you have to bet on hunger, President. Then bet on my hunger. I'm here to set up a new IRS.  Later on , In Tae-joon said, "Let's send  that guy Hwang Dong-joo to the central office. Send him to the 5th Division. Let's decide if he's a handful or not," he said. 

Spoiler

In the end, Hwang Dong-ju entered the 5th Division called the 'garbage drop off point' and reunited with Seo Hye-young, and the relationship continued. However, the first thing Seo Hye-young gave was a letter of resignation. She was tired of the stuffy reality of the tax bureau and tried to quit. Hwang Dong-joo said, "What are you so confident about?  If you don't want to see me again, do you really think you won't be able to see me? I understand the feeling of being hurt and wanting to be alone, but then won't the rest of the people  suffer? Go through proper procedures, take over, and leave." 

Spoiler

Hwang Dong-ju went up to the Central Regional Tax Service and organized and shreded the data he had compiled over the past years. In the meantime, Hwang Dong-joo's goal was revealed. It was Ryu Yong-shin (Lee Chang-hoon), financial director of PQ Group, who targeted Hwang Cheol-min (his father)  in the past.

Meanwhile, it was revealed that 1 billion won in slush funds of Yang Young-soon, former chairman of Dongho Securities, was transferred to the first team Division 5 , also known as the garbage dump. As a result, even victims of financial fraud from the chairman gathered in front of the house to protest, and investigators from Division 5  conducted a house investigation into the chairman's house to find slush funds. However, no slush funds were found anywhere in the house, and the division was humiliated. Protesters finally began to shout, "The National Tax Service is also in the same team."

( on the take / corrupted)

Hwang Dong-joo entered the chairman's house at a time when even the directors ignored the investigators' skills and asked them to return. Hwang Dong-joo, who came in with a hammer. 

As soon as someone found a suspicious pillar, Hwang Dong-ju blindly swung the hammer first. And above the pillar, a billion won that was  hidden came out and scattered every where

Spoiler

Oh Young (Park Yong-woo), the manager of the 5th Division, looked at Hwang Dong-joo significantly. Earlier, Oh Young recalled a conversation with  Jang Jung-il (Jeon Bae-soo), the director Division 3 , who said "If you want to be a person of Commissioner In Tae-joon, will you be able to put up with such a person?" So I am sensing that Oh Young and  Dong Joo will have an interesting butt head type relationship.

202201071937576110_2.jpg

Preview

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

So far no subs yet on my usual site. Pls don't tell me we have no subbers for this :nervous:

Strong premiere. I think 1st eps even higher than its predecessor The Red Sleeve's 1st eps ratings

https://www.news1.kr/articles/?4548240

According to Nielsen Korea, a ratings research agency on the 8th, the first episode of MBC's new Friday-Saturday drama 'Tracer' (played by Kim Hyun-jung / directed by Lee Seung-young), which aired on the 7th, recorded the highest viewership per minute of 9.7% and recorded 8.0% for households in Seoul. The number 1 among dramas airing that night. The nationwide viewership rating was 7.4%, and the 2049 viewership rating, a major indicator in the advertising industry, recorded 2.7%.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A good, solid and strong start for episode 1. Siwan's character Hwang Dong Joo's agenda is clear - to expose the person responsible for his father's death. In order to do this, he is tenacious as well as patient as he worked his way and waited for the right timing to get closer to his target. He isn't especially righteous because as we know, in order to fight dirtbags, you gotta bend the rules a bit and get your own hands dirty and keep your enemies close. So I really enjoy his confidence when he said he'll get the money from the baseball guy, and knowing he'd used dirty tricks against the guy. There's also a sense of satisfaction when he knock down the pillar and cash falls out from the vent. I wanna shower in money too...if only that's my money~ 😔

img.gif

source: silverthee

The politics is gonna be complicated. I'm already having difficulty recognising who's who and their titles. I think ultimately the Big Boss is either In Tae Joon (Son Hyun Joo) or Baek Sung Ryung (Park Ji Il), or both. These two actors are well known for playing good villains so I wouldn't discount either one out for being responsible for Dong Joo's father's downfall.

The bit I'm a little confused at was where Dong Joo calls a minion to look into Happiness Organisation but this minion reported to the bad guy he saw in the court room when young... is that mean they were onto him all the while he was working for PQ branch? Things went a bit too quick for me to grasp everything.

Look forward to see Dong Joo takes down all of In Tae Joon's minion Directors first.

@Chocolate You'll like this drama. Also let me know if you like the ahjussi actor playing Division 5 Chief xD

@Tofu The bird nest hair drives me nuts. :scaredpanda2:

Hahahahaha look at this humble sh*t. I'd say he needs to take care of his skin. I'm seeing breakouts in this Tracer drama.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 3

@abs-oluteM Hahahaha yes, Siwan is well-known for having high IQ (and good in studies at school although he said it was how it was designed for his image in Life Bar :laugh:). He has been asked to solve the cube for various shows. I also think the time required to solve it also depends on how mixed up the cube is.

The other two shows he was asked to solve cube.

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/Zvdjd3XiAQw

This one he didn't finish after 1 minute the first time xD and second time in .... I'll let you watch it LOL

https://youtu.be/T4dkzzhlvk0

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
23 hours ago, Tofu said:

I don't think the big streaming platforms picked it up. :letalQQ:

@stroppyse will you watch this? Probably one of the few exciting dramas airing. Actually, I don't even know if that's true because I don't understand any of it. Hahaha! 

I meant to pick this drama up, but wasn't sure where it was airing. Guess I have to go to the dark side to check it out. Thanks for letting me know that it's started.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Ah it's getting complicated. The show now throws out other side-plots because the conspiracy and death of Hwang Chul Min (Dong Joo's dad) involved a lot of people.

After wrapping up CEO Yang's case, Dong Joo digs into another fishy case happened 17 years ago. At the time it was 4th Division team in charge of the case and the people in that team include In Tae Joon himself, Oh Young, Jang Jung Il, the serial killer actor from BE and the rest I don't recognise. Dong Joo seeked one of unrecognised ones. The man blamed it all on Oh Young.

Before we get to know more of it, a whistle blower came looking for Dong Joo begging for the team to look into another case—which somehow is also linked to PQ Group.

Dong Joo's action flutter some feathers amongst the hierarchy. The hierarchy here is no joke. In Tae Joon berates his subordinate, Jang Jung Il of Division 3 for being overly greedy since his division was in charge of CEO Yang's case in the first place. Jang Jung Il then abuse Guk-jang of Division 5. D5 Guk-jang then warns Gwa-jang Oh Young to put Dong Joo under control else the people in Dong Joo's team will lose their jobs. At the moment, no one is in trouble yet because we're still too early in the show. Ha! Ok no, it's because the players think the timing isn't right yet to ditch Jang Jung Il. He is needed later to take the fall of a bigger situation.

It's not clear how Dong Joo's relationship with In Tae Joon began. There's a scene where Dong Joo have dinner with Tae Joon in the past so it's curious because In Tae Joon is well aware of Hwang Chul Min and Dong Joo's father-son relationship, so did all the Guk-jang under In Tae Joon. There are also some bits/scenes from both episode 1 and 2 I'm not very crystal clear with as well regarding the Accounting Company Dong Joo left and doped on to the Prosecutor friend. I assumed PQ's Ryu Yong Shin caused Hwang Chul Min's death by suggesting he takes the fall (not sure how) and that's when Dong Joo did the doping and left...:pandathink: However seems like Dong Joo is still in contact with a lady named Oh Sil-jang from this Accountant Company and she helps give him the information he needs. It's curious if she's trust-worthy.

I believe the 5th Division consist of investigators who once had a dream of doing the right thing but they lost their will to fight the corrupted system and enthusiam in the job. It's rather normal in an organisation. Oh Young comes across as the investigator who still wishes to catch the tax evaders but circumstances don't allow him at the moment. However I think he's taking advantage now that Dong Joo is here as I think he purposely disclose the big shots are having a meeting at headquarters and the company they're after is short-listed as the good model company for tax purposes.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Thanks 1