Drama Challenge!

stroppyse

18 minutes ago, Tofu said:

OMG!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!

You know why I didn't remember? Because I pretended that second season never existed. :lmao2::lmao2:

Yeah! I forgot all about it until I go through my list! Hahahaha! Just to complete D5 homework, I opened up an old wound.

Spoiler

Nahhhh, just kidding. It didn't hurt that much coz I wasn't that invested.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Actually, I also wanted to add to by Day 3 OST list...I think Happiness has one of the most interesting and unique soundtracks with many songs by Joe Layne. I'm loving that lazy feel. I'd say this soundtrack might even be my favourite K-drama OST for 2021, though it's not Korean songs per say.

But going back to Day 4: Actor most happy to see I think I answered this one for the Oppa challenge...but will paste it here. I was looking forward to seeing Lee Jae Wook in Move to Heaven...I already loved the way the story sounded and it turned out to be exactly the type of drama I thought it would be. But I also felt this way because he took a big break this year (hasn't been in a drama since DDSSLLS) and changed agency which had people super worried since him and his agency didn't mention his move...they just suddenly took down his pictures....anyway it was a relief to see him and to see him play such a cute role in a good drama! :BulbaOWO:

i3EB9de.jpg

Day 5: Dramas where you wish the leads would end up with someone else HAHAHA...I'm probably of a highly unpopular opinion...but while I like Rowoon and I do appreciate the main pair as they're both pretty cute, a part of me wishes Lee Hyun and Dami would be a thing in The King's Affection. (Don't kill me @mademoiselle :lol:) ...I haven't seen the latest episodes yet, so maybe that might change my mind :idk:

QEX8ob7.jpg

I could also say I liked Ju Kyung better with Han Seo Jun in True Beauty ...but I mean, I'm not opposed to the main pairing either. :smile:

yhf95Ln.png

I was trying to explain this to others, but I'm the sort of second lead sufferer that doesn't need the second lead to get with the main female lead. Which probably explains why I don't understand people having fan wars over this stuff. The only time I kind of get it is maybe when the first lead is/was super toxic and the second lead is empathetic and kind...and they still pick the first lead...But this kind of story was more early 2000's dramas. :lenny:

But I do need the second lead to be happy and fulfiilled in the end...I think one of the best examples of a good ending for the second lead was in this 2020 Taiwanese drama called Lost Romance. I had it so bad for the second lead...but the story looked like it would be tragic for him...and even though I found the plot to be super meh, I was soooo happy that they gave him the best possible ending (he found his love from past life...and they got an actress I liked to cameo for it). 

My kind of second lead syndrome is more because:

a) I'd personally pick the second lead if this was my love triangle. LOL...when I get second lead syndrome, it's probably because the second lead reflects the type of personality I like - super empathetic and more switched on about the female lead's feelings...but as long as the first lead isn't abusive or horrible (and usually I picked the drama because of the first lead in the first place), then I'm happy for everyone :idk::CharmanderYay:

b) I like high romantic tension...which often does come out in the more painful second lead role...it's like moments where things could happen, where someone goes super out of their way to show how much they care about someone. I like it better than the really obvious dramas where they get mushy and give each other flowers and rings and tell each other and everyone they know every second how much they like each other...too much, too much :SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke:

Edited by JenL
  • Haha 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@JenL :lol: your post is like double edge sword, cutting me twice. One side with TKA and another for TB. :lmao2:

Hahahaha, but why??? Your boys still got the girl in the end  :idk:

If anyone should be crying and feeling like they were cut with a sword, it should be me...for suffering second lead syndrome at least twice a year :letalQQ: Considering how often my heart gets ripped open, I'm surprised I'm still alive :laugh:

Good thing I don't really do a hardcore ship and need them to get the girl. I just keep them for myself :lenny:

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Because Jen and I have similar likes, I can't disagree with her either. :laugh:

Also, @JenL is opening up old wounds by bringing up Simon in Lost Romance too. My heart for this boy :letalQQ: I'm still upset that he was barely in the second half of the drama!!! :pandarage2:

Hahaha I'm glad we have similar taste  @Tofu  :BulbaOWO::laugh:

Oh me too with Simon Lian. It hurt my heart that they erased him out like that. The story got sooooo boring. But at least he ended up happy with Puff. And all the Lives with Simon when they were promoting the drama were so funny. :MewHi:

13 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahaha! Yep! :pandacop:

Hahaha we clearly have different tastes in Oppas... :lol:

I can add another one...if I had watched Nevertheless, I definitely would have picked Chae Jong Hyeop over Song Kang. Sorry to pierce you a third time... :pandaattack:...good thing I didn't watch it :lenny:

I didn't think I had that much SLS, but thinking back to the begining of time, I'm wrong. I definitely cared about Kim Bum's story more than the main characters in Boys Over Flowers. And I didn't watch (and never will watch) You're Beautiful, but I saw snippets of how toxic first lead was...and second lead was Yong Hwa, so I had SLS even without watching that drama...hahaha! But they patched this up with the sub-par Heartstrings, which I liked at the time because it was a music drama, even though the pacing and characters were a bit off :MewHi:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, JenL said:

I can add another one...if I had watched Nevertheless, I definitely would have picked Chae Jong Hyeop over Song Kang. Sorry to pierce you a third time... :pandaattack:...good thing I didn't watch it

Nah, this one I didn't really care. :laugh: Did you have SLS for Start-Up too? I remember you watched that as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Just now, mademoiselle said:

Nah, this one I didn't really care. :laugh: Did you have SLS for Start-Up too? I remember you watched that as well.

I did, but it was a very, very indifferent type of SLS....:idk:

Because I didn't like the female lead, and I thought the male lead matched her, it really didn't bother me when they got together. I also like Nam Joo Hyuk enough. But if you asked me what character I liked better, definately Han Ji Pyeong. Nam Da Reum really set him up well to be a character my heart went out towards. And then grandma scenes were so touching. :heiboi:

But if I'm honest, I felt like most people were too focused on the romance...and they wanted to see Suzy with Kim Seon Ho...it was not so much about the way the story went....so people got into these ridiculous fan wars and it put me off the romance even more. :psweatduck:

....Told you I have a weird type of SLS :laugh:

• Haha 6

D-5

She was Pretty

I really think that Choi Si won and Hwang Jung-Eum make a better pairing than Park Seo jun especially in the first part of the drama, PSJ's character was really mean and actually cruel to the female lead. Choi Si won's character suits the FL perfectly. My heart still aches whenever I think about his ending:nervous: the least they could have done was to give him a better arch in the story,

Extraordinary You

I know I'm quite bipolar! hahaha but the true self of Lee Jae-wook's character was actually a sweet guy who truly cares for the female lead. Well, maybe because I'm biased with LJW:BulbaOWO:

Edited by Unnie0110
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
24 minutes ago, Unnie0110 said:

She was Pretty

I really think that Choi Si won and Hwang Jung-Eum makes a better pairing than Park Seo jun especially in the first part of the drama, PSJ's character was really mean and actually cruel to the female lead. Choi Si won's character suits the FL perfectly.

Hello! So nice to see you!!!

Oh my God yes!!! I watched this ages ago when it came out and I remember thinking that this story was really annoying because it was the traditional thing of girl falls for mean but hot and rich guy...And guy eventually becomes weirdly obsessive over her when he didn't even care about her at first. :shocked: Poor second lead - I remember him being a really nice and chill guy.

37 minutes ago, Unnie0110 said:

Extraordinary You

I know I'm quite bipolar! hahaha but the true self of Lee Jae-wook's character was actually a sweet guy who truly cares for the female lead. Well, maybe because I'm biased with LJW:BulbaOWO:

Hahaha I'll always have SLS for LJW in that series even though I watched it last year...Yes, he was such a tragic character because he wasn't actually a bad person but he didn't know how to be nice to anyone since the writer wrote him as a mean character when the story was on...but also even in the shadows, no one was ever nice to him except Dan-Oh (maybe his step brother as well) :letalQQ:

Why does LJW always have a terrible on screen father?:psweatduck: :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 12/4/2021 at 4:15 PM, czakhareina said:

Day 4 |  Actor / actress you glad to see in 2021: Jung Woo in Mad For Each Other. There were a few candidates to really think about like Jeon Do Yeon and Ryu JunYeol in Lost, Ayase Haruka in Tengoku to Jigoku and Lee Junho for The Red Sleeve Cuff. Bu compared to Ayase Haruka who I have not seen in 3 years, or both Jeon Doyeon and Ryu Jeonyeol who I saw last 5 years ago, and Junho who I expected not to see for 2 years due to his compulsory conscription. Jung Woo, I have not see for 8 years since Reply 1994. I was so glad he is back for Mad For Each Other, and it was quirky and fun. and another drama coming soon

Lost wasn't a drama that was on my radar. But the chemistry between the leads were so good even thought their scenes together were so few & far between. The pacing though isn't for everyone. I was complaining about it to @SilverMoonTea @bairama that I will drop it every week but I ended finishing it anyway.  Of course given how obssessed I am about TRS, no need to say how happy I am that this is Jun Ho's post military drama. 

@mademoiselle @JenL I rarely have SLS because I am usually quite happy with whatever pairings that has been set for the audience. In 2021 I didn't have any SLS at all .  Then I saw @Chocolate 's tweet about Start Up...and my 2020 Han Ji Pyeong trauma came back to me!  

But the irony is in Hometown CCC this year, I thought Lee Sang Yi's character was the better man though I can't claim to have SLS. :laugh:

@Dhakra come play this challenge! 

• Haha 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

@abs-oluteMHaha okay. 

D5 - Drama where you wish the leads would end up with someone else

Oh boy, where to start. I have SLS in pretty much every drama I watch. SWDBS would be rather obvious, but mhmmm....I could also mention Fairy to trigger @abs-oluteMand force an annual discussion on how Shi Ho was the greatest gf of all time. 

But I think I take the middle of the road and say Strongest Delivery Guy

Dhakra  GIF

She was way, way better than the female lead from the second she entered the drama.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Day 5: I think it was pretty clear from my earlier post that it was Nevertheless, but I didn't want Nabi to end up with the second lead. I just wanted her to end up with someone other than Jae Eon. :psweatduck:

Day 6: This was kind of a no brainer for me.

For Korean dramaland, it was...

Spoiler

Oh Master!

CaAhDBC.jpg

For Chinese dramaland, it was...

Spoiler

No Boundary

fGmGw8h.jpg

9 hours ago, Dhakra said:

But I think I take the middle of the road and say Strongest Delivery Guy

I liked the female lead in drama though. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

D4 - Happy to see in 2021

Looking forward to Gong Yoo in The Silent Sea. I've not watched much of his shows except Train to Busan. Had to ffw Goblin (although his bromance with LDW was so much more interesting than the romance) and really really tried Coffee Prince, but it's too old.

Oooh that slicked back hair!

FFgAScvVUAgvUwJ?format=jpg&name=large

D5 - Wish the Lead(s) would end up with someone else

Greatest shocker was Start-Up. How can you start a drama with Han Ji Pyeong, include so much of his backstory and call him a second lead??? Plus the main lead only appears properly from episode 3? But I like JenL's take - the FL didn't deserve HJP!

On 12/4/2021 at 10:33 PM, JenL said:

Because I didn't like the female lead, and I thought the male lead matched her, it really didn't bother me when they got together.

2-F013-ED0-1-CC7-43-DA-ADE1-F79-DF5-BFE2

D6 - Most disappointing in 2021

This one is a no brainer. Sisyphus: The Myth. The plot was completely incoherent and illogical. The acting was bad, including Cho Seung Won - I thought he was totally unsuitable. The action by Park Shin Hye was also bad. I'm amazed I even completed the drama.

4baa0c36d5f0cd3edea84eda5828b8f340956c92

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 4

D6 

Most dissapointing 2021 :

Allen Ren Forever and Ever

Have too high expectation, as the novel was famous and the prequel was good. I thought their modern time will be lovelier. But it fell flat and the characterization not strong. Instead they focusing too much on family feud (topic that I hate). And no, being steamy won't save the drama 😅

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Hahaha, it's interesting to see D-6 from everyone. I think so far we have:

Sisyphus - 2

Oh! My Master - 1

Deluxe Taxi - 1 (from Twitter)

Monthly Magazine House - 1 (from Twitter)

@abs-oluteM Is your choice Awaken or Oh! My Master?

@Chocolate @JenL It was so not worth the time to even upload a photo although I did search for a decent photo of Chae Jong Hyeop from Sisyphus but there was none I liked.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Looking forward to Gong Yoo in The Silent Sea. I've not watched much of his shows except Train to Busan. Had to ffw Goblin (although his bromance with LDW was so much more interesting than the romance) and really really tried Coffee Prince, but it's too old.

You can try:

A Man and A Woman

The Suspect (it's action and your hot ahjussi is in it too)

The Age of Shadows

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle @JenL I rarely have SLS because I am usually quite happy with whatever pairings that has been set for the audience. In 2021 I didn't have any SLS at all . 

It must be so nice not to consistently fall for the second lead :heiboi:

But alas, that's just the way my heart works. I think it might also happen to do with the fact I don't like a lot of main actors (and here I'm about to be murdered by someone's stans): I think a lot of main lead actors - Lee Min Ho, Ji Chang Wook etc etc are a bit overrated. But that's just my opinion....second lead roles often introduce new actors who are working hard to make it to the main lead role, so I think sometimes that might also be eye catching. :MewHi:

9 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Looking forward to Gong Yoo in The Silent Sea.

Yes looking forward to seeing him too! My love for him was reignited when I saw him for his 15 mins in Squid Game :laugh:

9 hours ago, Chocolate said:

But I like JenL's take - the FL didn't deserve HJP!

Hahahaha everyone should think like me. This is how I've survived second lead syndrome for so damn long  :cool:

33 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Deluxe Taxi - 1 (from Twitter)

WHO SAID THIS!!! :lettalKWA::lettalKWA::lettalKWA:

Day 6 - Most Disappointing Drama

For Kdramas, I find this hard to answer. I didn't like the ending of Monthly House Magazine, but I wasn't super invested in the first place...just more shocked it went down a DDSSLLS ending path. Maybe even worse, since it wasn't even illness noble idiocy which I hate but can find some weird warped logic from it, but more my-dad-ripped-you-off-and-now-I-will-make-up-for-it-by-breaking-your-heart-and-abandoning-you which I can't understand AT ALL :pandarage2: 

But then there's dramas I expected to love, which were just ok, like Doom at your service, or meh like, Run On. That's kind of disappointing when your expectations are high, but I definitely still liked Doom and it was fun to watch. I have complicated feeling for Run On...it had lots of unique qualities but I just couldn't feel attached to any of the characters of romances and the story didn't really go anywhere....which is weird since I usually don't mind slice of life. :thinking:

But maybe I'll say A Piece of Your Mind was the most disappointing drama I watched in 2021...don't regret watching since I like Chae Soo Bin and it was really pretty to watch....But damn, those side characters annoyed me to no end. Between Ji-Soo and Kang In wook and Moon Soon Ho, I was like, what is wrong with you all?! :pandarage2::pandarage2::pandarage2:

For Taiwanese dramas, didn't watch much...but it would be The Devil Punisher. I suffered through it for both Mike He and Ivy Shao who I like...the story and idea had potential...but it fell so short!! :idk:

Also...sorry Jasper, but I couldn't get into either of your dramas, so I was disappointed :laugh:

• Haha 3

Doing Day 7th early because it's weeknights ~

D7 A drama that made me laugh the most

Initially I picked Racket Boys

... but then last weekend I watched Adult Trainer (E3-5) and had a good laugh.

Addendum: Yumi's Cells, especially Lustsaurus and Naughty Cell

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1