Drama Challenge!

stroppyse

D21 A drama I watched that I normally wouldn't  - Let Me Be Your Knight - I'm not a big fan of idol dramas, and most of them last about half an episode if I even bother. However, I'm really enjoying 'Let Me Be Your Knight'. It's somehow hit a sweet spot in terms of character interactions, and the acting by the OTP is especially good.

D22 Drama with production value - Honestly, nothing really jumps out at me. I'm tempted to say 'Squid Game' or 'Hellbound' but both of those have some shock value possibly rather than because the productions were so slick. However, they both had arresting visuals and careful attention to detail.

• Like 4
  • Party! 1

Hahaha oh damn, just realised this challenge is almost over and I stopped on Day 7!!! Prepare for a long reply or 2

D8 A drama that made you cry the most - I don't cry while watching dramas or films, but the closest I got was Move to Heaven because it was so incredibly sad, especially when you get to Episodes 7-8 :letalQQ:

D9 The best villain of this year - Hmmm, there's so many but I probably say the psycho Baek Sung Mi from Taxi Driver was still one of the more devious villains I watched this year. As in she was evil, but also smart. Otherwise, most of the residents from Happiness were pretty evil, but just not as smart and therefore not exactly great villains :laugh:

D10 Favourite Character - Orad, the rain good from Rainless in a Godless Land. He's just all the elements of gloomy, sorrowful, empathetic, gentle and charming rolled into one. :heart:

D11 Actor/ Actress with the weirdest clothes - I can't get past Nam Yoon Su. I really like him. Except when he does fashion shoots or turns up in some crazy sweater :shocked:

D12 Your Guilty Pleasure drama for 2021 - All dramas are guilt pleasures, haha! But maybe I'd say True Beauty? It wasn't exactly full of substance, but it was fun. I had read the webtoon as a guilty pleasure. It's the usual teen romance, love triangle in high school, beauty transformation story. :idk:

D13 A drama you dropped - Jirisan was the last one I dropped. There was too much going on, but not enough going on for me to actually care emotionally for the characters? :pandasleep:

D14 An actor you discovered this year - Chae Jong Hyeop was a big discovery. I was literally watching Hot Stove League on New Year's Eve and there he was...and he stayed with me this year especially in The Witch's Diner. Looking forward to seeing him again in another baseball drama next year- Going to You at the Speed of 493k :wow:

D15 Best Chemistry Romantic and Non Romantic - Romantic chemistry...I think I was real sweet on the couple from Superior Shaman Ga Do Shim to be honest. They were so cute.

Non Romantic...is it cheating if I say the couple-that-was-not-officially-a-couple in The Witch's Diner? Haha...or if it really has to be non-romantic...Yeo Jin Goo and Shin Ha Kyun had a strong thing in Beyond Evil ...but sometimes it felt like it could have been a love-hate pairing :laugh:

D16 A Picture of your favourite Scene - But I have so many favourite scenes! Let me come back to this

D17 A character you want to feed - Sae Beok in Squid Game because she is sooooo thin. Also as a character that escaped from Nth Korea, I feel like she would have missed out on the delights of having lots of food. And she was in so much pain when she finally got that nice steak dinner :scaredpanda2:

D18 An Older drama you watched in 2021 - I finally watched Signal! It was good, though I felt the ending was a bit of a cop out because it's one of those endings were they don't meet again...it's like they're going to meet, but you never see it confirmed with your own eyes :psweatduck:

D19 A drama that needed less episodes - Probably The Devil Punisher...so much could have been condensed and the story has massive plot holes, but I still kept watching for Mike He and Ivy Shao. :heiboi:

D20 A drama that needed more episodes - I don't know if any dramas need more episodes...The short dramas I watched all seemed to tie things up really well. But I guess I wished there were more episodes! Perhaps Bite Sisters because it didn't really have enough air time and episodes to have a really substantial storyline, even though it was fun to watch. :heart:

D21 A drama you watched that you normally wouldn't - Hard to tell as I think my tastes have changed a lot in recent years. I think a drama I was not expecting to watch and finish was Hello! It's me ...the story sounded like it would be your usual mid-life crisis regret story and the cast was unusual. But I enjoyed it at the time and it had good lessons. :MewWave:

D22 Best produced drama - Racket Boys and Squid Game come to mind. There was just a smoothness to the story-telling, the visuals were pretty and the cast were charming. Everything came together so well. :love:

D23 A drama best viewed my binging -  D.P because you can take the angst in one hit instead of wondering what will happen to the characters as things progressively worsen. :psweatduck:

D24 A drama that deserved more recognition - Rainless in a Godless Land! I think it's quite a beautiful and thoughtful drama. It did take me some time to get into it, but I feel like the story-telling is quite good. It's just a shame that it's only gotten like 1/10 of the international attention Someday or One Day did (although that drama is still my favourite Taiwanese drama of all time) :heart:

On 12/19/2021 at 12:09 PM, mademoiselle said:

D19 A drama needed less episodes - Hometown Cha Cha Cha, Nevertheless, Doom At Your Service, The King's Affection.

Hahaha I agree with all of those actually :laugh: We would be killed if this was said on social media though...

On 12/20/2021 at 10:56 PM, abs-oluteM said:

D21 ...not a question I can answer ...why? Cause there's no genre that I don't watch. Throw my oppa there and I'll suffer bad plots , scary zombies, bad comedy. :lmao2:

Hahahaha...wow, you can truly sacrifice for your Oppas. I can't watch if they put my Oppa in a dud pairing or if the story sounds boring. I'll try...but it'll just end up on indefinite hiatus (sorry, Jasper Liu) :laugh:\\

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Like @JenL, I completely forgot about the list, so I will do a catch-up aswell. :pandapopcorn:

D10 | Favorite Character: Mhmm, tough choice. Of all time would be way too hard to decide, so I with this year and my favorite character is probably Sae Bom of Happiness. She kicked ass. 

D11 | Actress with the weirdest make-up: Definitely Madam Lim of Taxi Driver

Spoiler

Lee Je Hoon Plays An Offbeat Game Of Seduction To Expose A Scam In “Taxi  Driver” | Soompi

D12 | Your Guilty Pleasure Drama of 2021: You Raise me Up, I don't know why I watched and finished it. 

D13 | A Drama You Dropped: Idol: The Coup

D14 | An Actress You Discovered This Year: Quite a lot actually, but I guess the most impact on me had Cha Ji Yeon. Her performance as Ms.Baek in Taxi Driver was stunning.

Special Shoutout to my favorite second leads this year: Hackergirl Go Eun (Pyo Ye Jin), perfect wife Kyung Eun (Kim Hyo Jin) and supermarket girl Bo Ram (Han Da Sol).

D15 | Best chemistry: This is a toughie, probably Sae Bom and Yi Hyun in 'Happiness'. But Yeon Su and Choi Ung have fantastic chemistry aswell. But after giving it some time now, I think Sae Bom and Yi Hyun is a no brainer.

D16 | A picture of my favorite scene: First I thought about Kim Do Gi posing as rich kid in Taxi Driver, but most recently a scene made me so happy, music was on point, like it always is in this drama and it was just such a beautiful shot.

Yeon Su seening Choi Ung draw for the first time.

Spoiler

Unbenannt-2.jpg

D17 | A character you want to feed: What the :laugh: Ahm......probably NJ? Or Naeun of Taxi Driver? No, I think I go with NJ. She's a beauty. 

D18 | An older drama you watched in 2021: A new one? None, I rarely do that. I watched Fairy though for like the 5th time or so.

D19 | A drama that needed less episodes: You Raise Me Up

D20 | A drama that needed more episodes: Lost. Seriously, the pacing was so off, in some episodes you felt like nothing is happening. When the drama was halfway through you felt like you just watched two episodes. And when things finally get interesting, the drama is over.

D21 | A drama you watched you normally would not: None, I am very picky.

D22 | Best produced drama in 2021: Our Beloved Summer. Absolutely fantastic so far.

D23 | A Drama best viewed by binging: I never binge, so...I don't know.....maybe Lost? Because four episodes feel like one?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Dhakra said:

Like @JenL, I completely forgot about the list, so I will do a catch-up aswell. :pandapopcorn:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who forgot! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Dhakra said:

D21 | A drama you watched you normally would not: None, I am very picky.

Hahaha, so you would never try something outside of your expectations and like it??? :thinking:

1 hour ago, Dhakra said:

D22 | Best produced drama in 2021: Our Beloved Summer. Absolutely fantastic so far.

This seems to be very popular and well liked...should I watch? :popcorn:

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

D24 A drama that deserved more recognition (for 2021): Happiness

I feel like Happiness was very popular in the circles I was in! Like everyone still talks a lot about it on Twitter and everyone here liked it.Not sure how recognised it was in Korea, but because it was a Viki release, it had international attention. :CharmanderYay:

Or maybe it's because I sometimes know shows that get almost no international attention and it's so lonely watching them 

:letalQQ::lol:

• Like 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

3 hours ago, JenL said:

This seems to be very popular and well liked...should I watch?

Yes you should. Somehow I think you'll appreciate this kind of drama too.

3 hours ago, JenL said:

I feel like Happiness was very popular in the circles I was in! Like everyone still talks a lot about it on Twitter and everyone here liked it.Not sure how recognised it was in Korea, but because it was a Viki release, it had international attention.

Or maybe it's because I sometimes know shows that get almost no international attention and it's so lonely watching them 

I don't think it was as big as I had hoped it would be. :thinking:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, JenL said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who forgot! :laugh:

I thought the same :laugh:

12 hours ago, JenL said:

Hahaha, so you would never try something outside of your expectations and like it??? :thinking:

Nope. :pandapopcorn: Many people tried, but by now they know that drama that are out of my comfy zone aren't my cup of tea. I have a long list of things in a drama that I do not like. 

12 hours ago, JenL said:

This seems to be very popular and well liked...should I watch? :popcorn:

Absolutely. It's such a nice, beautiful watch. The OST is fantastic, the story is nice. I thought after Happiness it couldn't get any better, but 'Our Beloved Summer' feels like it was written for me. Only a few nuances missing to make it perfect. 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

Absolutely. It's such a nice, beautiful watch. The OST is fantastic, the story is nice. I thought after Happiness it couldn't get any better, but 'Our Beloved Summer' feels like it was written for me. Only a few nuances missing to make it perfect. 

Hahaha, I think you declared Happiness your best drama or fave of the year or something but ditch it so quick after a couple of episodes of Our Beloved Summer. How can you be so sure though?

===

Aigoo, the 25th day drama challenge is difficult. I'm going to procrastinate on this one until I wake up later...

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha, I think you declared Happiness your best drama or fave of the year or something but ditch it so quick after a couple of episodes of Our Beloved Summer. How can you be so sure though?

Because 'Our Beloved Summer' is touching my heart-strings and is a genre I am an absolute sucker for. I can relate to the Main Lead, the music is fantastic, some scenes are pure art. It's such a soft, touching drama, it feels like you fly through every episode.

Happiness was amazing and thrilling, no question, it had me on the edge of the seat at times, but OBS is probably the closest thing I ever got to Fairy. They are both totally different genres, which probably are my two favorite genres overall, but I always liked slice of life oriented dramas with a little melodramatic touch a bit more. 

And the music is so good :pandapopcorn: If the second lead gets likeable now, it's the perfect drama for me. 

Happiness upside is, it's already over so I know everything about it. If I crown OBS my fav drama and the second half gets bad, I am the dumb one. :laugh:

=======================================================================================================

D24 | A drama that deserved more recognition (for 2021): :pandathink: Lost. I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@JenL Speed with Chae Jong Hyeop is actually about badminton. =) 

Day 24: Hmm...this is a hard one. Let Me Be Your Knight, Crush, and maybe Bossam too? 

Day 25: My favorite drama I watched in 2021 was Hot Stove League even though it aired in 2019/2020. 

• Like 2

Wow, it's so easy for you guys to pick a fave drama. I'm procrastinating and sitting on it because I have no idea! This year it's no one drama stood out as much as my last year's choice.

D25 Fave drama watched this year

I think it'll have to be She Would Never Know because it's the only drama right now I occasionally will still rewatch a cut on YouTube.

Honourable mention would be Happiness

• Clapping Hands 1