May It Please The Court 변론을 시작하겠습니다 [2022]

abs-oluteM

@SilverMoonTea @LaLa I think that might have been the beginning synopsis but it's changed. I don't think she's a single mother anymore. Tagging @abs-oluteM so she can change that on the first post whenever she has time. 

8 hours ago, LaLa said:

And no sudden announcement of season 2 too at the end credits for the supposed ending

HAHAHAHA! Before I saw you wrote Poong, I immediately thought of Poong when I read this. No more surprises, please! I'm loving the new format of just 12 episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 3

I managed to catch this one last night and actually enjoyed it. As I've said on another thread, there seems to be a big dump of legal dramas of late (who knows if that's something to be celebrating) and in all honesty I can see some parallels between this one and One Dollar Lawyer. Of course Jung Ryeo-won's character is a seasoned hawkish legal eagle compared to Lee Ji-eun's cocky probationary novice. Comparisons are inevitable even if the actors are approaching their roles a little differently. 

Lee Kyu-hyung can always be relied on to give a memorable performance and he really doesn't disappoint. He is a quirky public defender that is destined to butt heads with Jung Ryeo-won's corporate lawyer at the start with very different ideological perspectives but as fate would have it they end up being colleagues after a series of encounters related to Big Pharma's propensity to pretend that there's nothing wrong with their products. In this case it is their most popular line of birth control pills which lead unsuspecting women into thinking that they're going nuts. Jung Ryeo-won's character Noh Cha-kee is tasked with defending Big Pharma in this case and certainly lives up to her reputation. As a result of some maneuvering of her own and her CEO's bid to shore up his political ambitions, Cha-kee is demoted and sent off to the sleepy town of Jungha to build her credibility as a public defender. 

The show is off to a promising start and it also appears to be one that will undoubtedly have one rooting for the underdogs. I'm not sure what to make of Lee Kyu-hyun's character at this time who seems to be living a dual identity. Daredevil is what came to mind first and then his role in Voice 4. But there's no doubting the shroud of mystery surrounding that character.

It is an interesting pairing. One that isn't immediately obvious but the chemistry is good. 

• Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@Tofu, in the note, the mother asks the lawyer to register the birth of her baby for her. So, the lawyer goes but then realizes that she had not asked about a name for the baby, and it's too late to go to the prison to see the mother. So, the lawyer thinks of various names including Sa Rang (Love), Haeng Bok (Happiness), but then she remembers the conversation with the mother who had tearfully said that she had not wanted to abort the baby, that she had wanted to protect the baby. So, the lawyer names the baby Lee Su Ho since the mother's last name is Lee and "suho" means protection or guarding.

• Insightful 4
  • Clapping Hands 3

@SilverMoonTeaare you on the way for shipping the duo combo in real life as well or for now it will be enough for the characters in drama first? Cause if somehow you open a thread there are two potential customers for it :MewGiggle: 

I won't deny the two characters chemistry is really fun to watch and I can just spend the whole hour watching them bickering, but for nudging and blackmailing CH in his way to make her a better person is also fun to watch. Both can really play with words and turn it back against each other. So far CH lost a lot against SB since most of her arguement towards him was used back against her successfully :laugh:

So last week prediction about whether Si Baek is the culprit or not still not clear enough, although my suspicions against him has dropped quite low because it looks like the camera work and the editing that probably made like that way. What we know about the culprit for murder 1 and 2 so far:

- the watch. Which we got some close up of it when Si Baek wear the similar design and another one Jang Gi Do

- the knots. It seems to point out about the culprit special way of tying a knot that quite unique and not many people used it. For both murder in ep 2 and 4, we're shown that the victims got their hand tied that way. The knot at the car key chain and if I'm not hallucinating, the knot that the Grandpa Chairman made while he flied the kite during CH flashback is also the same

My guess is probably Jang Gi Do is behind all the murderer so far. He sounds fishy and will do anything to get whatever he wishes for. If the uncles is really related to him, did he want to eliminate them one by one or what? Such a scary man. 

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 5

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

@LaLaYes I think SB might not be the murderer. Because he was asked by the chef of dumpling owner to move the car somewhere? I'm not sure dumpling owner's car or SB's car. 

Yes they have the best chemistry bickering duo, I got so excited just to see them both on screen for ep 3 & 4 and time really flies fast. 

I haven't had time yet to check their off screen chemistry 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Just caught Ep 1 and loved it. Like everyone , I can see that our leads have great chemistry and them bickering can set the house on fire. But I must say that I am most impressed by Jung Ryeo Won - clearly she's a seasoned actress and she's just perfect as the obnoxious & overachieving Noh Chak Hee. Of course NCH has not much conscience & isn't exactly likeable,  but JRW plays her with just the right amount of arrogance & class. Chak Hee is terrible ...especially when she crossed the line here "instigating" her friend's suicide. But of course, this will also be a turning point for her. Can't wait to see how she'll end up working with Si Baek

Fd50s5SUAAA_55k?format=jpg&name=large

This is her  3rd straight drama playing someone in the legal field. I watched both the other ones- Witches Court and The Diary of a Prosecutor, and she was good in both. She did say that after this she'll stop playing a lawyer. LOL! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I love this show! 

I just finished eps 3. Chak Hee can be a bit of a narcissist but she's got a good heart there buried somewhere under all that Chanel and stuff that she wears. LOL...I do like her a lot. And even if all her methods aren't exactly conventional and quite often borderline unethical, it's easy to see why her win rate is 92%.

Unfortunately the one time she decided to forego her own interests & do something right by helping her friend & giving the data on the birth control pills to Si Baek, she got found out by her boss Jang Gi Do. JGD of course took the opportunity to make sure she'll now forever be at his mercies. All this "engineering" to get her fired / suspended , sent to some faraway place to be a public prosecutor is so that in time to come, he will have the perfect public face for his political projects & ambitions. JGD is scary but in a way he is what Chak Hee could very well end up becoming since he rose above his humble background & now he's got everything under his control including his "wife". I am sure Chak Hee is fully aware she's his running dog , and she's a willing participant. But in time to come even she won't want to serve a master that doesn't have a single bit of her interest at heart. 

I know they are making us think that Si Baek is the killer. But I don't think so. There's a lot of clever editing but the key thing is that the murderer is someone known to Cho. And the running speculation is that JGD could be behind this. Anyway, I don't want SB to the killer - he just needs to be her lover ! :laugh:

I mean let's not waste this chemistry.

JRW & LKH pictorial for Disney +

Fd_WbCeUcAEMuPh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spoiler

Fd_WbCiUcAARztr?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spoiler

Fd_WbCgUUAENU1-?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Am all caught up & Chak Hee has my heart. Under all the bling that she wears, she hasn't forgotten her roots and though she pretends she doesn't care, she does. And I especially love eps 4 because SB knew that perfectly - that she would take on the deaf mother's case. (Even it was initially because she needed an "interesting" case to get an article written about her. LOL) .I was quite moved by it .

So far the drama is still trying to mislead us where the killer is concern. I am still certain it isn't SB. And please , I don't want split personality type plot. LKH already did it once in Voice 4!

Ace Factory's film making for LKH

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:01 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I am still certain it isn't SB. And please , I don't want split personality type plot. LKH already did it once in Voice 4!

I finished episode 5 and they alluded to this even more. I don't want another Voice 4 too! The trauma from that. :letalQQ:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Tofu @abs-oluteM

I very much doubt that Si-baek is the serial killer not just because it is too obvious but because it looks as if the cop investigating the murders is looking at him from the wrong angle. I don't blame her she's just doing her job. Sure he looks suspicious and he's tailing all these men as if he has nothing else better to do but it seems more likely that he's just picking up the pieces left in their wake by helping the victims get some justice.

There are actually a whole list of candidates for the role of the serial killer. For a short time I thought it might be Jang Gi-do but after the third murder, I changed my mind because it now looks like the killings are revenge for the abuses at the children's home all those years ago. It could be the dumpling chef or it could be the one working for him who black out intermittently. It could also be Chak-hee's dad who has a wall of photos. Whoever it is, is known to the victims so they let him into their homes willingly.

I had almost given up on any kind of romance between the leads until episode 6 which gave me a sliver of hope. I am enjoying their banter whenever we get it although I feel that something is lost in translation.

Episode 6 was better than 5. 

• Clapping Hands 4

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

In episode 6, I think it finally hit Chak Hee that all those years she was hustling to make partner at the law firm, she damaged a lot of innocent people. One of her client has something going on psychologically and Chak Hee learned it started after she was assaulted and lost her case against the chief of police, who happened to be Chak Hee's first case at the law firm. 

There is a purpose to what Si Baek is doing that we don't know about yet. He has his own agenda that's different from the killer's. 

@40somethingahjumma Yeah, episode 6 was much better than episode 5. I hope that orphanage director did not do anything to the boy! He already lost his dad and I guess his mom too, this is another trauma he doesn't need. 

• Clapping Hands 3
On 10/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I had almost given up on any kind of romance between the leads until episode 6 which gave me a sliver of hope.

The part where he magically produced the hair tie for her made my heart go wooooo. There has got to be some romance at least. They keep teasing us. But from the latest episodes , I think she's got to 1st trust he isn't the killer . I suppose she'll come to defend him since he is the most possible suspect.  The  female detective is doing the investigations based on some wrong assumptions.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:23 PM, Tofu said:

There is a purpose to what Si Baek is doing that we don't know about yet. He has his own agenda that's different from the killer's. 

Reading some comments of possible killers

1. Si Baek

2. Gi Dong ( hmm after eps 6 , I think maybe not)

3. The chef who is using the waiter with the memory issues.

But what I found interesting was that Chak Hee's father is looking out for Gi Dong's daughter. Quite ironic since Chak hee worked for GD. But I wonder why CH's father had that wall with the pictures and news of those who died and all the bad people in this show. They must be the reason he ended up in jail. Anyway, whoever committing these murders is doing society a favour, if you ask me. Considering how awful these men were. For instance it was sick that the orphanage director to CH's friend's son home. Pedophile! 

• Clapping Hands 3

On 10/6/2022 at 8:23 PM, Tofu said:

I hope that orphanage director did not do anything to the boy!

Nope. I am pretty sure our killer got to him just in time. Like @abs-oluteM said, in a way, this killer is doing society a favor. I wonder who. I still don’t want it to be SB. 

9 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

The the female detective is doing the investigations based on some wrong assumptions.

Everything in this drama was going great until this detective came along. I get that she is supposed to be this sharp smart undeterred detective, but she lost all point with me when she went into the crime scene and touching stuff without gloves on. Helloooo........

• Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

On 10/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, ktcjdrama said:

she lost all point with me when she went into the crime scene and touching stuff without gloves on

I know! I was cringing the entire time. I actually do not understand her purpose but she's probably there as someone who hasn't been bought by these horrible people. 

@abs-oluteM I am indifferent about the killings too. In some ways, they were all horrible people so it's like the killer (really a vigilante) did everyone a favor and got rid of bad people from the community. 

• Like 3

@Chocolate I am in awe that you can find the Hyun Bin connection in anything. You are truly a loyal fan.

----------------

Gosh.. the hug....drama don't tease me please. LOL

Fe345BSVsAEe9-X?format=jpg&name=medium

So he will be take into custody

Fe345BgVUAAuF_W?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow... what a way to end Episode 8 ! Despite what Si-baek said there, I know it isn't him but he knows who it is and is protecting him/her for now.

I think of all the legal dramas that I'm currently watching this is the best one. The script is really solid and it doesn't rely on gimmickry. God is absolutely in the details here. It's an old K drama story I'm sure but the way the characters and specific details are being played out is very good. The way Chak-hee's arc is integrated with Si-baek's is chef's kiss. It's really a joy to watch those two threads come together in these last two episodes. The last two episodes are turning out to be the best ones so far.

And that hug... why? Don't do this to us Show if you're not going to do anything with that! *still traumatized by Little Women*

There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance. There will be no romance.

I continue to love the banter between the leads. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Haha 3