The Soldiers (Season 1) 

더솔저스

qNvTEVF.jpg

Genre: Variety Show, military

Date: Nov 19 2021 - 

Episodes: 10 

Network: SBS

About:

20 members from Korea's elite special forces must face challenges and work as a team to become the best soldiers. Participants will be mentored by 4 international leaders from Korea's 707 Special Task Force, British SAS, Sweden's SOG, and US Green Beret. 

Casts:

IWFqpxR.png

Kim Sang Joong as the show host

Lee Chang June as leader from 707 Special Task Force

Jay as leader from British SAS

Yohan as leader from Sweden SOG

Wil as leader from US Green Beret

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Come and watch this really cool variety show with me 

@abs-oluteM @Chocolate @SilverMoonTea @mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @LaLa @liddi

Ok I better tag a few people first :rmbtshi:

I came across this variety show yesterday and was interested when I read what it's all about. So far they only have 5 eps out and I finished watching all the available eps already (it's that good!). We got to see 20 soldiers (or should I say... most of them are like ex-soldiers) compete in gruelling physical challenges. What more is that there's NO celebrity in this except the host Kim Sang Joon ahjussi. BUT, let not the fact that there's no celebrity in here defer you from trying this one out ... coz some of the soldiers are as good looking as your oppas  :btsjinok:

Anyway, that's it from me trying to sell this variety show. 

PS: I wanted to post the 20 soldiers pics but probably not because in order to do that I would have to screen shot them while watching (can't even find this variety show in wikipedia!). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

17 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Hahahahahaha I like my oppa pretty and delicate. These guys looks rough? 

LOLOL... err...yeah :lmao2:.. well.. I don't think they look 'delicate' .. :lol: But it's pretty subjective.. maybe they still delicate enough for you??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Will start writing for ep 6 (just because I finished watching ep 1-5 prior to opening this thread). 

At the end of ep 5, the three teams (excluding Delta) were in the middle of competing to win advantages for the next mission. The task was to push 2000kg-car through muddy area. 

Ep 6

The winner was team Bravo :duckhearts: I quite like team Bravo's leader Jay - I think he's my fav leader. I def like agent Kong Ki Hwan and don't dislike anyone in his team so far. Jay was calm even when his team was behind pushing the car at the beginning. Team Alpha started moving the car first and then later team Charlie. Jay said that he's not bothered with the fact that the other teams moved their cars first because his plan was to even out the track for his car as much as possible so that they didn't have to get back to digging once they started pushing. Well... I think they still did go back to digging but the team managed to come out a winner this time. Well done. 

Team Charlie wasn't doing too bad either. Agent Go In Ho's 'sudden' plan of using the floor mat worked well and also helped the team secure 2nd position. Unfortunately, they didn't win the advantage because of this. 

Team Alpha's lost was quite an interesting one. Ppl probably expected team Alpha to win because they got such muscular members. Well, I suppose we're shown again and again that the expected winner may not actually win the game. 

After the game, all the team leaders and members were treated to a nice BBQ for dinner. They also had some talent shows going on. Here we also found out that agent Kong Ki Hwan works as manager in some attractions. Hmm..I thought the part where they showed him at his workplace was a bit scripted tbh :lol: Errr... Kim Sang Joon's ahjussi thought that agent KKH looks like Jung Hae In :thinking: TBH I think he looks like Rain! 

We also found out that agent Go In Ho is working as a model and also a tactical consultant for dramas. 

Day 5 started and the teams need to complete a mission where the loser will be eliminated TT_TT I don't think I want to find out who is going to be eliminated. 

The mission is counter-terrorism mission - rescuing a hostage held in a 12-level building with terrorists in it. 

Team Delta was confident they would be doing well because Will the team leader used to work in counter-terrorism and SWAT. I actually would love to see him shine at least once. His team was placed at the bottom for previous missions. 

The episode ends with the first team (Team Bravo) completing the mission. They got the advantage of receiving the full blue print of the building while the other teams only received 1/4th of it. They also got to choose in which order they would like to go and they chose to go first. Anyway, they thought that they completed the mission... only to find out there are 'unexpected' extra missions they must complete. THE END

So... which team are you rooting for? 

For me... I don't know.. If it's based on team leader then I'd root for

1. Team Bravo (Jay) 2. Team Charlie (Yohan) 

Not sure about 3rd and 4th place.. I think I might like Will better than Lee Chang June.

If it's based on the team members I'd root for

1. Team Alpha (because of Beom Seok and Chang Won)

2. Team Bravo (because of Kong Ki Hwan and there's that agent I can't remember the name)

3. Team Charlie (because of Go In Ho)

4. Team Delta because I haven't taken any liking to any of the members here

So if a team must be eliminated next week, then I'd choose Team Delta. 

:pandasipsip:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

:cool: Watched up to ep 8... 

One team has finally been eliminated :cry:

SPOILERS

It's team Charlie. 

Well..I'm not surprised since I think team Charlie was the bottom two teams in my opinion (the other team being team Delta). Although I like Yohan the team leader, but I would be upset if team Alpha or Bravo got eliminated early on. Obviously Alpha and Bravo had more capable soldiers in their team. 

After watching them tackling the hostage-rescue mission, I could tell that Alpha and Bravo were indeed a better team. It is also advantageous to have a Korean leading Alpha - I could tell the way they completed the mission was really smooth because they had minimal issue with language barrier. However, for some reasons I couldn't bring myself to liking all the members and even the leader on this team. I only like Hong Beom Seok and Kim Chang Wan. Can't help but adore HBS - he's displayed great leadership and kindness yet at the same time a very capable and reliable person. Kim Chang Wan has now shown us on a few occasions how smart he truly is :cool: The leader is capable ... but I don't know why..just can't fully like him. The other two members in the team were so so. 

On the other hand, I like team Bravo and Jay their captain is so adorable! I think Jay is a great team leader. Team Bravo didn't seem cocky like team Alpha, and maybe that's why I like this team better. 

In saying that, I feel it's too bad that they can only go on the international competition with the team already set as of this moment. If I were to make the best team as of now, I would choose Hong Beom Seok (from Alpha), Kim Chang Wang (from Alpha), Kong Gi Chul? (from Bravo) and Song something (from Bravo). I would then choose Jay as their team leader. That would be the best team for me :Party02:

Hopefully ep 9 is already subbed so I can watch it soon~~ 

Extra note:

There's another similar show called Iron Squad/Steel Troops. That also looks interesting but unfortunately they don't sub the show!!! :shocked2: Maybe if I'm crazy enough, I'll watch it without sub ahahhaahhaha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LOL... I finished watching the series a while back but then forgot to update it here.

So episode 10 is the last episode of the Soldiers. The last final mission was to be completed by team Alpha vs team Bravo. I think these two teams were deserving to be in the final showdown. After watching past missions, I could already sense that these two teams were superior to the other teams. 

Fast tracked to the result: Team Alpha won. 

I don't know how I feel about this. I mean, again after seeing how the two teams completed this mission, team Alpha was clearly smarter and better. And as I said, I really like the two team members: Beom Seok and Chang Wan but again and again, the other two team members were not really contributing much to the team's victory. 

I supposed in the end I didn't really like the format of how they grouped them earlier in the show and stuck with it until the end. The winners were not all the BEST soldiers in the show (probably only the two I mentioned) but I wish the other two spots were filled in by other better participants. Well, but I guess it would be very hard to do if they didn't go by teams early on. 

Anyway, still overall, team Alpha was the best team. And not sure what will be the international competition look like, but I'm looking forward watching it. I hope, the other two alpha members (and the other two as well) will be able to train and become better and give us a more entertaining show to watch. 

So...that's all folks. Until the next show~~

:KittyGun:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tofu said:

@SnowBlob I didn't realized you had a thread on this show. Hahaha! I watched up to episode 7 or 8 and then stopped. It was pretty obvious which team will win at the end but I really enjoyed watching Team Beta. This whole show in general made me exhausted -- so much exercising. 

I was really captivated by the first few eps so that's why I decided to open this thread. But then as you said, from early on it was clear who would be at the top 2 at least~~ still entertaining but I feel like the first few eps were better than the rest HAHAHAHA. 

Have you seen Steel Troop? Still unsubbed (so I haven't watched it) but that looks interesting too~

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

Have you seen Steel Troop? Still unsubbed (so I haven't watched it) but that looks interesting too~

I have not because it doesn't have subtitles. I have seen one of the guys on that show on other shows though. I think he's quite popular because of his looks. 

18 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

still entertaining but I feel like the first few eps were better than the rest HAHAHAHA. 

Yes, agreed. I got bored a bit towards the end because it was very obvious who will win. I think the earlier episodes were entertaining and I would have 100% freak out if my sleeping area started filling up with water. :letalQQ:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, are the team members celebrities or just people who wanted to be on the show? How did they pick the teams? Also, is there another season of this?

Team members aren't celebrities. They're just normal busy who wanted to be on the show I guess. And they all served in military in the past (not sure if any is currently serving). They formed the team during the show. 

I think what the purpose of doing this show is to pick the 'best' team to compete on international competition later on. I'm guessing the winning team will have to go against other teams from other countries but I really don't know how they're going to do it :thinking: 

LOL.. Kim Sang Joon ahjussi is only in there as the MC, so his air time is minimal and he's not doing anything apart from talking :laugh:

• Like 1