Because of Love/ A Chance Meeting 今生有你 [2022]

abs-oluteM

WEbJR_4f.jpg

SYNOPSIS ( written by me as the ones on MDL etc are wrong) 

Am not sure why I started this given that I have so many dramas but I somehow clicked on Youko's video when I saw Wallace Chung head-lining this. Next thing I know I had already finished two episodes. This is a romantic melodrama , one that promises to be full of angst :poliWeird: and it isn't going to be your typical romance given that the female lead Tan Jing ( played by Li Xiao Ran ) is married with a young child. Wallace plays her first love, Nie Yu Sheng ( they met in high school) and is a heart surgeon.

Life has not been kind to Tan Jing. Her son suffers from a heart condition and needs surgery urgently but she can ill afford to give him one given that they are not well to do. Her husband is a construction worker , and their relationship is pretty strained given that he is often drunk and is bad with finances. While we get glimpses of Tan Jing being skilled and intelligent  in her younger days and even in the present, we discover that she was not able to finish university and has to work in a low paying job in a bakery. 

Their first encounter (in the present) shown was when he passed by the bakery she was working in , and decided to go in to get some bread. While taking her son for a second opinion for his surgery, she meets him again. We get to see glimpses of their past - how they met , their happier times together. At present Tan Jing is not the only one who is suffering. Yu Sheng, despite being a well-respected surgeon and comes from a good family seems rather depressed and unhappy ( he has remained singled). And from these chanced encounters with Tan Jing, it is clear that he has never forgotten her despite trying to put up a cold front each time he meets her. 

-------------------------

Episodes : 30

Airing dates : Jan 18, 2022 - Feb 1, 2022

Aired Schedule : Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Original Network: CCTV, Youku

Duration: 45 min.

XqZQw_3f.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Cast & Crew:

Xo0Zx_4f.jpg

Director: Liu Jun Jie

Screenwriter: Bai Bang Ni

Main Cast 

Wallace Chung - Nie Yu Sheng

Li Xiao Ran - Tan Jing

Support Cast 

Tian Lei Xi - Shu Qin

Qin Ming Yue - Wang Yu Ling

Liu Da Wei - Quan Yu Cheng

Wang Yang - Sheng Fang Ting

Fan Shi Ran - Tan Jing [Young]

Zhan Yu - Nie Yu Sheng [Young]

Samuel Gu - Liang Yuan An

Hai Tong - Zhu Zhao Bin

Morni Chang - Nie Dong Yuan

Lawrence Wang - Sun Zhi Jun

Yan Xiao Ping - Grandma Wang

Xu Wen Guang - Director Fang

Meng Wang - Old Dong

Dong Ke Fei - Pang Tou

Qian Qian Yi - Xiao Han

Wu Ren Yuan - Lawyer Qiao

Zhu Li Qun - Lawyer Xu

Li Qian - Kai Se Lin

Ren Luo Min - [Shu Qin's father]

Zhang Rui Jia- [Shu Qin's mother]

Lu Sen Bao - Director Zhao

• Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@SilverMoonTea @OsmanthusTea @Mouse @SnT...if you're in the mood for an angsty but matured romance...can check this one out.

The leads have chemistry ( think they worked together 11 years ago too)  and there's a lot that happened in their past that lead to where they are now. This is a story of first love and of regrets. What I like is the seamless way they show their past and present and how different they have turned out. I have watched 2 episodes so far and I like it - I was engaged. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

10 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@SilverMoonTea @OsmanthusTea @Mouse @SnT...if you're in the mood for an angsty but matured romance...can check this one out.

Thanks for opening the thread. I was planning to do so. But I'm a bit busy with old dramas haha... I want to see WC in modern drama, and the premise did sound interesting to me. 

Call @NiteWalker@40somethingahjumma@IpohBananawho might be interested in to. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

1 hour ago, movingwheel said:

this one is on my radar already....i also saw it on youku YT Channel.... will plug in tomorrow.... how many episodes are we in? @abs-oluteM @NiteWalker

yes yes yes. Watch with me...10 episodes are out so far. 8 already subbed.

On the sites they call it A Chance Meeting but MDL & Youko calls it Because of Love.

@NiteWalker I am not sure which is the correct title

You know this reminds me a bit of You Are My Sunshine. Wallace at his best playing the tsundere male.

The chemie is good

• Like 3

Believe it or not I watched first episode yesterday. Because people were talking about it in the Reset comment section... hahaha... so I checked it out :pandaheadstomp:  Was wondering why there isn’t any thread of this drama and now we have it 🥳

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Here's the Youku playlist for all the English subbed episodes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLATwx1z00HscaYoRA20zg2LodSLKIIxI1

My friend called this drama "painfully good". I don't know what that means but I don't like knowing it'll be angsty. I guess I shouldn't worry too much. @SilverMoonTea knows I cannot add any more dramas to my watch list. I'm watching so much right now. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The ending of ep 2 is pretty good. He always look indifferent, but when she fainted at hospital, he seems quite frantic. 

I kind of know why your friend said its painfully good @Tofu. I claim the pain portion, she need to extort him money, not sure why their picture cost 100k yuan.

The brooch gift quite expensive 2300 yuan almost close to 500 dollar. For young lover this is so expensive @abs-oluteM. Not sure yet exactly how is Nie's wealth status, I thought he quite well to do since can go to Belgium, but he also seems doing a lot of part time. 

Their habit to grow bean and their same birthday, kind of sad. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

16 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Believe it or not I watched first episode yesterday. Because people were talking about it in the Reset comment section... hahaha... so I checked it out :pandaheadstomp:  Was wondering why there isn’t any thread of this drama and now we have it 🥳

LOLOLOL...I am surprised you can even squeeze this in . I wasn't planning to add any more dramas but as usual my itchy hands got the better of me. Cannot deny that I tend to like watching Wallace Chung :laugh:.

@SilverMoonTea I felt so sad when she had to "sell" those keepsakes back to him , so that she could borrow money. Honestly , he would have lent her without any questions but of course her pride wouldn't let her.

I am so curious what happened in the past. They were so in love. The kid is his - I think so anyway . From what I have seen he's very strong willed and put himself through university, he would have had no problems and issues raising their kid. So I am sure the decision to break up was not his idea but hers. Her husband now seems quite useless but I think there was a point she was grateful because he seemed to have cared for her when she was pregnant and alone. So am guessing she married him out of gratitude rather than love. He also knows about Yu Sheng and he seems to have animosity with Yu Sheng and the father. 

For once in a cdrama , I like the 2nd leads. Vicky the BFF is such a cool person and good friend to YuSheng. I don't sense anything romantic between them , since I think there is also someone that she has loved in the past and has been waiting for. If anything , I think she will have a love line with her new boss whom I am guessing will also end up hiring Tan Jing as his personal assistant. The boss is also pretty cool and charismatic. Ooo will there then be a love triangle between Tan Jing , him and Vicky? :poliWeird:

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:
16 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

LOLOLOL...I am surprised you can even squeeze this in . I wasn't planning to add any more dramas but as usual my itchy hands got the better of me. Cannot deny that I tend to like watching Wallace Chung 

😆 I don’t know yet if I will keep on watching or not. But one thing good about C-drama is I don’t have to be paying too much attention to the screen for subtitles. Wallace Chung has that charisma that you just want to keep looking at him. Not to mention his raspy magnetic voice. And I kinda like the angsty feel so far. But no, I really haven’t decided that I will continue watching. 

Yesterday I also tried the first episode of One and Only @SilverMoonTea 😂 I might want to watch the modern version, coz it seems to me they’re going to shoot a lot in Xi An... will see how. Not in a hurry but I think I want to watch. Your oppa RJL quite okay on screen. Don’t really like him in stills but I kinda like his nerdy quiet character there. 

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

38 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

RJL who???? Ex oppa  maybe :laugh:

I also roll my head... But I think it's Ren Jia Lun :laugh:

Spoiler

The modern totally not good imo. @Tofucan vouch on this.

@ktcjdramaAt first I'm on fence with this series, but it's growing on me. Kept being curious on how is their past relation, and how her new workplace will contribute to the story. At least this only 30 eps. And WC like you said have enough charisma to make you watch him, eventhough he didn't do much other than looks forlorn and frown most of the time 😂😅

• Haha 2

@abs-oluteM i have just watched one episode of the drama.... i like it... wallace chung is someone for whom i will probably sit through a drama even if i dont like it... he is that good.... i am watching it but probably pace will be slow due to real life...but it is going good.... if it remind you of "You are my sunshine" , then he has to be good...like real good.... he does not look like he has aged a bit from his sunshine days...i love him sooo much...

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Ooo will there then be a love triangle between Tan Jing , him and Vicky? :poliWeird:

Tbh after ep 5, it felt like it will go to that direction. Mr Sheng also seems caring about Vicky a lot. In ep 6 when Vicky left in her car, he took a long glance. But he also send TJ home and give her special care at office. Did he try to make Vicky jealous? He also didn't know at all about her background and that she's already married. Eventhough I'm rather confused with their living arrangement or if they only married in paper but living separately? 

Btw is there possibility that Mark and Mr Sheng the same person? Vicky seems still harbor some feeling for her ex called Mark that he mentioned to NYS. 

I think the breakup could be related to NYS's father company. It seems hinted that her father was killed due to ceilings collapse. But no evident as per Jun's mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Btw is there possibility that Mark and Mr Sheng the same person?

I had guessed that as well. And it is confirmed in ep.7 that they're the same person. 

Yes! Haha... I binged watched till middle of ep.8, and then it started to get too angsty in the middle with all the mis(sed)understanding that I had to take a break for now. It felt like my heart is being squeezed so hard :nervous:

I realised one of the things that will draw me in with C-dramas is that when it is original voices of the cast. Here we have them using their original voices, whereas it's usually difficult for me to get into the drama when they're dubbed. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Am watching eps 6 , I was so damn annoyed when the husband came ( and did his good father/ husband act ) when they were discussing the valve to use for the surgery.  Seeing how close the kid is with him, I figured there must be something good about him but then when he started telling Tan Jing about some money making scheme his friend had , I really wanted her to divorce him

Vicky is one cool girl. I like her personality a lot and even Tan Jing commented on it. At the moment I don't find anything romantic between Tan Jing and the boss - I feel his preferential treatment so to speak is only because he understood that Tan Jing is the underdog here , coming on board a post when she doesn't have the so called qualificaitions. What he sees is talent and he doesn't want that to go to waste. 

I like how calming this show is . All the conversations have a way to move you and even though it is tinge with sadness , it isn't all bad. Like Yu Sheng and his father - you can see a change in their strained relationship though it needed his father's liver problems to bring that change. From their conversation, we can deduce that whatever happened to Tan Jing - YS had to do with the father somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@abs-oluteM coincidentally, I started this drama earlier today and breezed through all 12 available episodes. I love WC.

Btw, this is also available on Viki and 12 subbed episodes are out.

This is a bit heavy and I literally cried every episode but it's so good that I can't stop watching.

So it looks like Nie Yu Sheng and Tan Jing have a past but so does Shu Qin and Sheng Fang Ting. I am a fan of the actor who plays Sheng Fang Ting - he's a good actor and even though he's always a supporting character in dramas, in the ones I've seen, he's always a good guy. 

I am curious as to how Tan Jing ended up with her husband. From the flashback, it looked like he really loved her but something must have happened along the way. To be honest, I suspect that Ping Ping is actually Yu Sheng's son. Considering how in-love Yu Sheng and Tan Jing were, it seems odd to me for her to have moved on that quickly. Jun keeps mentioning that the Nie family owes them. This makes me wonder if a) it's because Ping Ping is actually Yu Sheng's son and b) because the Nie family business had something to do with Tan Jing's father's death. 

The scene where YS and TJ kiss in the shower... GAHHHHH! So HOOOOTTTT! :GengarCool:

I love the way this drama shows the pain and love the leads share. And when they kiss! All that emotion spills out and is so palpable.

As a mother myself, watching TJ fight so hard for her son makes me cry so much! The scene where she carries him out of bed because she's afraid he'll die in the operating room was so well done. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

At the moment I don't find anything romantic between Tan Jing and the boss - I feel his preferential treatment so to speak is only because he understood that Tan Jing is the underdog here , coming on board a post when she doesn't have the so called qualificaitions. What he sees is talent and he doesn't want that to go to waste. 

Yes, I think so too. He wanted to recruit the male duty manager at first, thinking he was the person who wrote the bilingual letter. So we know that he appreciates the talent. But I can totally see how the gossips go flying around among the colleagues 🙄 Can’t believe there isn’t a single normal person there. Well, maybe that one who went out for lunch with her. The rest are so fake 🙄

The part I stopped in ep.8 was when she was returning the watch to him. I feel that what he replied to her was so piercing painful 😢 I couldn’t continue. 

@Mouse the little kid is indeed his. He’s 6 yo and they’ve been separated since 7 years ago, so the time frame fits. The husband I believe is just on paper. The impression I got so far was that TJ is just grateful to him for being there when she was pregnant and play the father figure to her son. Husband knows about NYS and how TJ is not over him yet.  

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Yay @Mouse I am so glad you're watching this too. This show is good. I like the way the story is told and I like the characters even the 2nd leads. They aren't annoying and have their own purpose in the story. 

I think you guys are probably ahead of me , am just done with eps 7. Man , that whole let's try to date each other scenario between Yu Sheng and Vicky was so awkward with a capital A. It's clear both have not moved on from the one they love, so they are taking a very practical approach to dating. This is of course not going to work out but in some ways I suppose it isn't a bad thing that they are trying to move on.  

The one thing that surprised me was that Director Sheng is ill - he was coughing out blood! I can't tell if his kindness to Tan Jing is romantic in anyway or that he is just really kind. I notice he tends to very attentive to the needs of his staff. Even with Vicky, he asked for warm water realising she may need it and Yu Sheng could see this little somewhat flirty exchanges going on there even if it may have been done on a subconscious level . Director Sheng thinks Vicky and YS are a pair , so we can't tell if he is attracted to Vicky either. 

• Like 3