Road Home 归路 [2023]

“How high a person can reach depends on chance and luck, but how far he can go depends on his character.”

One of my favorite lines from the book. I even have it highlighted, so when we got to that scene in Episode 6 and it was said, I squealed out loud! Haha. I admit it. I’m a dork.

Loving the drama so far. I’ve always loved the book for the deep love that runs between the main characters and JB and TSY are doing such a good job bringing that all to life. JB, especially! You can literally feel the weight of the world around his shoulders. He carries so much baggage and responsibility. And yet, through it all, his unrelenting love for her burns bright. Similarly, TSY, when she talked about only ever loving LYC and that she only ever would love him, so beautiful.

I can’t wait for more eps tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

31 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

“How high a person can reach depends on chance and luck, but how far he can go depends on his character.”

One of my favorite lines from the book. I even have it highlighted, so when we got to that scene in Episode 6 and it was said, I squealed out loud! Haha. I admit it. I’m a dork.

Loving the drama so far. I’ve always loved the book for the deep love that runs between the main characters and JB and TSY are doing such a good job bringing that all to life. JB, especially! You can literally feel the weight of the world around his shoulders. He carries so much baggage and responsibility. And yet, through it all, his unrelenting love for her burns bright. Similarly, TSY, when she talked about only ever loving LYC and that she only ever would love him, so beautiful.

I can’t wait for more eps tomorrow!

u mean tonight right??

come come lets us squeal with these pictures instead hahaha

• Like 1
On 3/15/2023 at 9:18 AM, NiteWalker said:

both of them are really well pair together...im hook after watching the first episode and i hold my horses till 10 only i start watching so no one is fighting with me for the episode 1 bandwidth hahahaha....

@NiteWalker , thank you for sharing. you've provided premise of story for my better understanding.  I'm at episode 2 and I was wondering what the story was about (other than ex lovers) and I didn't know what Gui Xioi was working as to be so gifted. exactly, I was just 5 minutes into the drama and went like "give this guy all the soldier, police or detective roles, he's made for them." I love to see their eye contacts so attractive.

Edited by wink_
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

Is everyone caught up with the current episodes already? I just finished three episodes and I'm about half-way through the fourth episode. I think today will be a slower watch day for me. It's like all the dramas I want to watch are airing today and I'm :BulbaConfused: trying to keep up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Tofu said:

Is everyone caught up with the current episodes already? I just finished three episodes and I'm about half-way through the fourth episode. I think today will be a slower watch day for me. It's like all the dramas I want to watch are airing today and I'm :BulbaConfused: trying to keep up. 

I’ve watched up to Ep 6 and by the time MY today is over (don’t want to confuse anyone about time zones again) I’ll have watched up to 8. What other dramas dropped today - should they be on my radar?? Maybe I don’t want to know the answer to that question. I like not juggling 😝🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

10 hours ago, Tofu said:

Fqvu-WO4-Xg-AAbe-Ql.jpg

@Tofu , as for me, early episodes 1-3, Gui Xiao and Lu Chen proved one thing: love waits. on the drive back to camp, courting from their school days truly comes to a stop 😅 naturally resonates as seen in the way they react and look at each other. what a thoroughly lovely show. my heart feels their love. 😉

Edited by wink_
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

16 hours ago, wink_ said:

@NiteWalker , thank you for sharing. you've provided premise of story for my better understanding.  I'm at episode 2 and I was wondering what the story was about (other than ex lovers) and i didn't know what Gui Xioi was working as to be so gifted. exactly, I was just 5 minutes into the drama and went like "give this guy all the soldier, police or detective roles, he's made for them." I love to see their eye contacts so attractive.

he build like one man.....he need more role like this....it fitted him just the gloves they are wearing... 

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

im all up to episode 8......speedup girl....they settle the other girl in like 2 episodes, we dont have to see her face any more....

46 minutes ago, wink_ said:

@Tofu , as for me, early episodes 1-3, Gui Xiao and Lu Chen proved one thing: love waits. on the drive back to camp, courting from their school days truly comes to a stop 😅 naturally resonates as seen in the way they react and look at each other. what a thoroughly lovely show. my heart feels their love. 😉

yes if you really love each other i guess you will wait....both never got into another relationship, both just grew their career built their footing steadily into the society however still keeping each other in their heart in their minds....

not to mention the show are pretty nicely edited too

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@themarchioness Haha! Call It Love (K-Drama) airs on Wednesdays and that's my favorite drama I'm watching right now. Royal Rumors aired today and I wanted to check that out too. I like Xu Zhengxi, but I really did not like Chong Zi. I'm hoping this one is a little better. I am a little sad that they keep dubbing his voice. His real voice is the best for historical dramas in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, wink_ said:

love waits

For them, it waited ten years, right? Someone that read the novel, please confirm! By the way, my BFF loved this drama so much, she started reading the novel. I considered reading it too, but I just don't think I'll have the time. I am going to rely on @themarchioness to tell us if the drama is following the novel. :psweatduck:

39 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

im all up to episode 8......speedup girl....they settle the other girl in like 2 episodes, we dont have to see her face any more....

HAHAHAHAHA!! I will try to catch up tomorrow and Friday. Call It Love airs on Wednesdays and it's my one drama I watch before everything else. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

I never know whether to feel sad for her or whether I should slap her - probably both.  I just can't fathom being okay with or wanting to be in a relationship where I essentially paid for the man to be there.  What kind of marriage is that?  To know that the only reason he's with you is because his father owed money to your family?  Imagine the lifetime of insecurity that would leave you feeling.  I just want to tell this girl - Wake up!  Have more self-respect!  It's not only LYC who deserves better, but honestly, so does she.  She should find a man who loves her and genuinely wants to be with her -- and so she should get out of our way so the leads can be together.  Haha.  

I love all the small smiles LYC showed in today's episodes anytime he thought of GX or had an interaction with her.  It was so sweet.  But my favorite expression was when the two of them were texting and to avoid saying what she wanted to say, GX asked how QXN was doing.  The glare he sent the little boy's way!!!!  If you blinked you would miss it, but it was there.  LOL.  

• Like 2

My Fanfics

2 hours ago, Tofu said:

For them, it waited ten years, right? Someone that read the novel, please confirm! By the way, my BFF loved this drama so much, she started reading the novel. I considered reading it too, but I just don't think I'll have the time. I am going to rely on @themarchioness to tell us if the drama is following the novel.

Eleven years.  I had to browse the book just now to find that exact number.  In doing so, these other dates/ages/marks of time stood out, as they give a rough idea of how much time is supposed to have passed, and so I thought I'd share:

• As in the drama, the book opens with them running into each other outside a gas station.  And then it is also another two years later before she travels to Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region (Qining in the drama).
  • In the book, they met when she was 13 and he was 17.  
  • "Back then, the timing of when they first started dating had been very inopportune. She had been faced with high school entrance exams and he had been preparing for his college entrance exams.  Shortly thereafter, she had gone to study at a district key high school, and he had moved far away to another province to attend university." 
  • When he helps her and her friends out with their car, she asks, "How many years have you been here?" and he responds, "Nine years." 
  • When she is first led to believe Qin Xiaonan is LYC's son, she thinks, "Eleven years ago he left Beijing.  Ten years ago, they broke up.  That the child looked to be seven or eight years old was very reasonable."
  • When LYC meets her father in the present, he also thinks about how eleven years ago they never did meet, but now that it's eleven years later, they finally meet.  

As for whether the drama is following the novel, I would say that it is doing a very good job of that so far -- including with the dialogue, some of which has been straight copied from the book to the script.  But some things have been 'cleaned up' for the drama.  For example:

• In the book, LYC is a pretty heavy smoker.  But in the drama, when he's in the car, we see him reaching for a stick of gum.
  • In the drama, the first time we meet LYC's father is when he's drunk and banging on LYC's door at the auto shop.  To protect GX, he yells out that his girlfriend is with him.  In the book, he says, "There's someone in the room."  And then when the dad keeps banging, he says, "There really is someone!  My wife's not wearing any clothes in here!"  In response, GX's "ears rang with these words... Stupefied."  As for his father, the words had the intended effect but he still "jeered, 'You brat!  You're so good now, eh?  You've even gotten yourself a little wife."  After the other workers in the auto shop intervene, the dad callls out, "You're still in school!  Don't damn go knocking someone up!"  [The book, I would say, is more coarse and grittier in language and tone - in this scene and in others.]
  • That same night LYC ends up driving GX home.  In the drama, she makes a point of asking whether he has his driver's license and he says that he does.  However, in the book, it is said that "when she sat in the car, she began to wonder, was he the age of majority yet?  He shouldn't have his driver's license yet..."  (Legal minimum age to drive in China is 18.)

Other changes I've noticed so far:

In the drama, it looks like her aunt (with whom she stayed during her middle school year) is living in a nice suburban home.  But GX comes from a military family and after attending the primary school where she grew up (inner Beijing), rather than going to its affiliated middle school (which wasn't all that great), she wanted an adventure and so her parents sent her to live with her paternal aunt which was "in a military compound in one of Beijing's rural areas, a little town situated at the foot of the Yan Mountains."  So far little has been said about GX's parents, and that's actually pretty consistent with the book as neither have a heavy presence and when they do it's more towards the end, but I will be curious to see if the drama continues with the occupations that they had in the book.  I hope they do, especially for her father as him being a high-ranking officer in the military played a part in a lot of things. 

Also, in the drama, rather than retiring from the military, LYC is transferred to another unit closer to Beijing.  In the book he actually does retire from the military and returns to Beijing.  Currently he's juggling returning to Beijing and all which that entails (taking care of Qin Xiaonan and family matters) while also starting a new position at his new military post.  But in the book, he doesn't have to do that level of juggling because he is basically jobless for a period of time.  He's not without options, though, and actually consults with GX about what to do next (once they're back together again as a couple).  He says, "Right now, I have two options in terms of work. The first is to take the money and leave.  add on top of what I've saved over these years, there will be definitely enough to hold a wedding and also open up a car repair shop with no problem at all. The other road I can go down is to start working straightaway, but then I won't get so much money. You'll need to wait another two years for me to pay off the debts and then we can hold a wedding.  The job is very stable, but there is some danger in it.  I'll be teaching people how to disarm bombs and there will be times, too, when I'll have to provide on-site support, if the need arises."  GX then encourages him to take the job because she knows it'd be a waste for him to do mechanic work; although dangerous, he is talented and skilled in this area, and it's in his blood.  She doesn't want to take that from him.  

It's never quite said in the book where he ends up working... I don't think it's quite a civilian job.  The way it's described... a lot of the instructors that he works with are, like him, ex-military (he even knows some of them).  They have uniforms.  Lots of rules.  He sometimes has to stay on base for weeks at a time.  In many ways it's like he's still in the military.  And yet, we also know that it's not because GX's father actually comes to visit him at that workplace and it's said, "If this had been in the past, he would have needed to immediately stand to attention and give a salute.  But now, he merely removed his hat and looked directly at the man who was the oldest in the group and whose gaze was also taking measure of him."  The fact that he doesn't have to salute GX's father would suggest to me it's because he's separated from the military.  

Having said that, what LYC does in his new job in the book, is precisely what he's now doing in the drama with his new position outside of Beijing.  (It's even the same convos about life mottos, etc. that he has with the new recruits).  It's like MBFB just took what happened later in the book, repackaged it, and presented it earlier in the drama.  Similarly, already in the drama, we have gotten the flashback story to a time where LYC had to diffuse a bomb outside a conference, and he saw GX there although she never knew he was there.  But in the book, that flashback isn't shared until later when they travel back to Inner Mongolia and meet up with his former comrades and someone says they recognize her and then shares that story.  

Ultimately, what I would say is that - so far - the drama is doing a great job of following the novel and that any changes are either minimal (and seamlessly fit in) or simply repackaging/moving around parts from the book.  But since the drama has been pretty faithful to the book so far, I am realllllllly hoping they follow it to the end.  Because if it does, we will get a really cute treat. 

Any guesses on what that might be?  :smug:

P.S. I definitely encourage everyone to read the book.  It's so good and it's not long.

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 3

My Fanfics

1 hour ago, themarchioness said:

I never know whether to feel sad for her or whether I should slap her - probably both.  I just can't fathom being okay with or wanting to be in a relationship where I essentially paid for the man to be there.  What kind of marriage is that?  To know that the only reason he's with you is because his father owed money to your family?  Imagine the lifetime of insecurity that would leave you feeling.  I just want to tell this girl - Wake up!  Have more self-respect!  It's not only LYC who deserves better, but honestly, so does she.  She should find a man who loves her and genuinely wants to be with her -- and so she should get out of our way so the leads can be together.  Haha.  

i know....it was really too much of her....i mean i can see she like LYC and from what i can see, she kinda lay the trap too so that she can corner LYC into marriage....however LYC is not someone you can corner easily, he fight for his own survival, his determination for a better life can be seen, how he live separately from his father and not to be influence by him can be seen too...

what he did for his parents are mainly out of responsibilities, as far as i can see the parents did nothing for him however only demanded from him, his mother might love him, however she prioritize the father first, he keep quiet and tolerate them for the facts that they provided for him in a sense i guess?

back to that girl, i mean what LYC bestie told her was right, "Lets LYC go and let yourself go"

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I love all the small smiles LYC showed in today's episodes anytime he thought of GX or had an interaction with her.  It was so sweet.  But my favorite expression was when the two of them were texting and to avoid saying what she wanted to say, GX asked how QXN was doing.  The glare he sent the little boy's way!!!!  If you blinked you would miss it, but it was there.  LOL. 

no i seen it all...i was like.....gosh...also there this little part when QXN told LYC that he like GX and the way he said it was like almost confessing his love that irk LYC

hahaha honestly i love this little cupid and he drew and tell LYC in details of GX house layout, that he listen so intently ....

i really love the whole layout of the story...i means its one of the couple series that have our leads almost together and not yet together from the very beginning instead of waiting till towards the end of the drama like some or most....

19 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Any guesses on what that might be?  :smug:

a daughter? :laugh:

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

hahaha honestly i love this little cupid and he drew and tell LYC in details of GX house layout, that he listen so intently ....

I loved this too. For one thing it’s got to be growing up around the military all his life that has QXN being so aware of his surroundings that he would not only be able to draw a map, but also think to do it. And for another, I love how LYC goes from, “Go back to sleep” to let me lean over and listen and learn about GX’s floor plan. Haha. (For the record, this scene is in the book too!)

20 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

a daughter? :laugh:

You’ve read the book haven’t you? Cheater :laugh: But seriously, don’t we all want to see Jing Boran and TSY with a little girl between them?! It’d be soooo cute. Let’s keep things faithful, drama gods!! 

• Haha 2

My Fanfics

Will respond to everything later, but just wanted to comment that the talks about the luggage in episode six made me laugh. :laugh:

For reference, that is a very expensive luggage. The one Gui Xiao bought is a Rimowa Essential Cabin. It retails for $875 USD. In general, Gui Xiao is pretty well off. She was wearing a Bulgari Serpant handbag and lives in a really nice (plus big) apartment. She talked about making money when she was in college and she definitely did! 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I loved this too. For one thing it’s got to be growing up around the military all his life that has QXN being so aware of his surroundings that he would not only be able to draw a map, but also think to do it. And for another, I love how LYC goes from, “Go back to sleep” to let me lean over and listen and learn about GX’s floor plan. Haha. (For the record, this scene is in the book too!)

yes the little guy is very self aware and he drew good too....there a part where he drew a portrait of GX that was very cute i remember lols....definitely show you the types that say one thing do another doesnt it? :laugh:

You’ve read the book haven’t you? Cheater :laugh: But seriously, don’t we all want to see Jing Boran and TSY with a little girl between them?! It’d be soooo cute. Let’s keep things faithful, drama gods!! 

no i didnt.....however there were a post of LYC with a little girl that i saw today :cool:

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

For reference, that is a very expensive luggage. The one Gui Xiao bought is a Rimowa Essential Cabin. It retails for $875 USD. In general, Gui Xiao is pretty well off. She was wearing a Bulgari Serpant handbag and lives in a really nice (plus big) apartment. She talked about making money when she was in college and she definitely did!

OMG.......sometimes people told me no point in getting an expensive luggage cause the airport handler will throw it!!!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

this series has so limited stills!!

@NiteWalker  , they perfectly capture, it's a relief to be able to talk to someone, as they get another moment to spend in each other's arms. :hearties:

Edited by wink_
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

The wait until Monday for new eps is so painful.

MONDAY?! OMG! I have been thinking that they are on the same airing schedule as The Starry Love for some reason. :jiminbtssigh:

Thanks for information on the novel vs. drama! My BFF is reading the novel and says they are a bit more affectionate in it. The preview for the upcoming episodes suggest that GX's dad is going to tell LYC to break up with her? Does that happen in the novel too?

Jing Boran's and Seven Tan's interview with iQIYI.

• Like 1