Road Home 归路 [2023]

10 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

same it kinda pop up again in my youtube when i open it.....lols

Those YouTube algorithms!  They always know what we're watching and what to recommend.  Hahaha.

Just finished watching Ep 30.  It was a nice wrap-up.  After a wedding, child, etc., in Ep. 29 I wondered what story there was left to tell. And then I remembered as I was watching Ep 30 - oh right, there's an epilogue in the book.  I always forget about that.  There are some things I wish had been included from the letters each wrote in the epilogue, but it was nice getting to see how they actually fell in love way back in the day.  All in all, this was an excellent adaptation and fairly faithful to the book, so I don't have any complaints.

(Although if there was one thing I would complain about, it would be the transformation in his dad's character -- I know that may sound weird given that his dad became a better person in the end and, of course, I am thrilled about that.  It's just... it seemed really random, inorganic, and came about way too easily.  So easily that it leaves me wondering - why couldn't he have his wake-up call earlier if this was all it was going to take?  Sheesh.  In any event, this part was all added for the drama anyway, so no biggie...the focus of the book, as was the drama, on the OTP anyway.)

And what a beautiful story it was for the OTP... to see them reunite, reconnect, and continue building the love they'd never let go.  One of my favorite quotes from the book is, "She was very clear that without Lu Chen, she could still live her life at one hundred percent, live it to the fullest.  But with him, her life would undoubtedly be even better."  (She said something similar in the drama, I believe, when talking with her coworker one time.)  I love that sentiment... GX is a truly capable person.  She doesn't need a man in her life.  She's living a perfectly good life.  And she would've been happy to continue living as she was.  But how much better was it with LYC in it?  And I think the same could be said for him.  That's what makes their relationship so special - they don't need each other, except that it's so much better because they are together.  :heart:

One other thing I wanted to share for those of you who've not read the book.... this drama is called Road Home... and that's because Hoju, the online translator of the novel came up with that title.  How cool is that?  I wonder if she realized what lasting impact her decision would have one day.  The original English title of the published book was, "The Return," and the literal translation of the Chinese title is, "the road back."  In one of her translator's notes, Hoju explained:

To me, "home" is less a physical place and more the feeling it gives or invokes; we feel safe there, we can rest there, we are supported there, etc.  "Home is where the heart is."  That is a saying that many of us know.  Beijing was never Lu Chen's home because he never had that sense of belonging, be it with his family or in that town.  That is why the "the road back" is not leading him back to the place he once resided.  The road back is leading him to his home, back to his heart, back to Gui Xiao..." 

And that is why she decided to go with "The Road Home," for the title, and discussed this with MBFB and obtained the author's permission.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that The Road Home was the third in a series of books written by MBFB, which highlights unsung heroes.  The first was Together Forever, which features a doctor-turned-lawyer (if I remember correctly) after he contracted SARS while treating patients in Beijing.  The second is Healing Sunshine, which has a small connection to Gui Xiao in The Road Home, actually, and features a war journalist.  The third is Road Home, which as you now know highlights military servicemen.  If people have felt hammered over the heads with the heroics of LYC and his colleagues and the notion that there is a lot of sacrifice involved on their part and in the people around them, that's why - it was very intentional.  I appreciate learning through books and dramas like these, though, so I don't mind it personally.  Plus, uniform = :wow:, lol. 

Anyway, this has been a fun ride and I've appreciated - as always - getting to chat with you guys about this drama!  

• Like 3

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 2:40 AM, themarchioness said:

(Although if there was one thing I would complain about, it would be the transformation in his dad's character -- I know that may sound weird given that his dad became a better person in the end and, of course, I am thrilled about that.  It's just... it seemed really random, inorganic, and came about way too easily.  So easily that it leaves me wondering - why couldn't he have his wake-up call earlier if this was all it was going to take?  Sheesh.  In any event, this part was all added for the drama anyway, so no biggie...the focus of the book, as was the drama, on the OTP anyway.)

sorry im late....i finish the drama earlier on...however i dont have times to really commented on anything.....same...to me...no one change their character overnight...

it was like **snap** and DONE....

lols

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...