Road Home 归路 [2023]

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

MONDAY?! OMG! I have been thinking that they are on the same airing schedule as The Starry Love for some reason.

I know, it was a rude wake up call yesterday. First, I was caught off guard by the one episode versus two, but then I rolled with that because Starry Love had also done the same thing, and then I thought, "I should study the airing calendar," so I did, and that's when I learned, "WAH.  No new episodes over the weekend!" It's my own fault for not paying attention earlier.

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

The preview for the upcoming episodes suggest that GX's dad is going to tell LYC to break up with her? Does that happen in the novel too?

He does call to express his disapproval. Never hear what he says to LYC (and if I remember correctly, even later when that phone call is referenced it's just referred to as the dad having lashed out in anger without going into specifics of their conversation), but we do hear what he says to GX and it's basically him trying to convince his daughter that LYC has ulterior motives for being with her and GX telling her father that LYC's not that kind of a person, especially given that she was the one to seek him out this time around.

Now that we've met her father in the drama, it doesn't seem like he's in the military since he's always seen in a regular suit. (Plus any references GX has been making in terms of what she knows about how the military operates stems from her older cousin whereas in the book, she already had some working knowledge based on her father and having grown up in a military compound.)  I'm rather curious about what exactly he does and how that changes the story, if any.  

JB is hilarious and I've loved watching the interviews and BTS with TSY.  Looks like they had a lot of fun.  I keep wondering if JB and Bai Jing Ting called each other up after JB was cast for this drama to trade notes, including about working with TSY, and talk about playing SWAT team members.  Knowing them and how their friendship is based on teasing, joking, and even putting each other down, I wouldn't be surprised if they competed to see who played the cooler character.  Haha.  

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

On 3/18/2023 at 9:05 AM, themarchioness said:

I keep wondering if JB and Bai Jing Ting called each other up after JB was cast for this drama to trade notes, including about working with TSY, and talk about playing SWAT team members. 

Considering BJT did this, I would reckon they have. Hahahaha! 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Tofu said:

Considering BJT did this, I would reckon they have. Hahahaha! 

Hahaha, see, this is why I love their friendship so much.  I also love that when BJT posted the video, he said: "Ge, I was wrong.  Next time I'll still dare to do it again."  HAHAHA.

• Haha 3

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Hahaha, see, this is why I love their friendship so much.  I also love that when BJT posted the video, he said: "Ge, I was wrong.  Next time I'll still dare to do it again."  HAHAHA.

I wonder What TSY has to say on this !!! Considering how close knit both BJT and TSY are....

• Like 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

there's was a long silence between Lu Chen and Gui Xiao. :SquirtleOK: his voice is fantastic and the subtle expressions he has , seems like I'm able to read his face. almost always "slow burn" with a glacing pace, have many questions but enough I'm loving every minute episodes. does the series follow the novel perfectly? but that doesn't mean there weren't any differences.

• Like 5

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

15 hours ago, wink_ said:

there's was a long silence between Lu Chen and Gui Xiao. :SquirtleOK: his voice is fantastic and the subtle expressions he has , seems like I'm able to read his face. almost always "slow burn" with a glacing pace, have many questions but enough I'm loving every minute episodes. does the series follow the novel perfectly? but that doesn't mean there weren't any differences.

some minor changes as per what @themarchioness said, she read the book hahahhaa...i didnt lols

ohhhh yesterday episode is good!!!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

I miss one day of watching this drama and I feel so behind. :scaredpanda2:

@Tofu  ,  I can't skip the french kissed part. until one day, Gui Xiao felt the need to meet Lu Yan Chen once again to confirm their relationship, the two fall in love at first sight for each other , I assure their feelings get stronger. this makes Lu Yan Chen and Gui Xiao inseparable. 😉 me neither.. I'll do it first thing tonight :pandawhat:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

2 hours ago, Tofu said:

@themarchioness In the novel, what happens after LYC finds out they are having a baby? He doesn’t go on any more missions, right? 

Road Home has been such a pleasure to watch. A reason why it's so important to have the novelist be part of the script. 

It's LYC... what do you think the answer is to that question?  :smug:

Spoiler

Similar to the drama, in the book, GX and LYC take their walk along Chang'an Avenue where they kiss and she surprises him with the ring.  He then departs for his 30-day duty at the base where he's now working (as all instructors have to rotate through this 30-day on-base duty assignment).  One month later, he returns home and she shares that she's pregnant.  That night, he can't focus or sleep and that's actually the moment in the book (as we already saw in the drama) where he heads to the parking garage to take apart and fix her car because he's got her pregnancy on his mind (he's happy, it's just a huge thing).  

He goes with her to the hospital for her first check-up (since she took a home pregnancy kit to find out she is pregnant -- from the trailers I've seen, it looks like that will be different in the drama, as she finds out she's pregnant through a doctor's visit) and then assumes they'll get married except his transfer procedures from Inner Mongolia aren't complete (another difference from the drama as we saw, when he returned from Qining this time, his transfer paperwork was finally completed).  During this waiting period, it was his intention to take her to meet his family - and it's at this time he discloses the information about having a younger sister and brother (he does not have an older sister in the book and the younger siblings are actually half siblings as the brother is born from his father and his mistress and his sister is born from his mother and her second husband).  The drama moves this event up in the timeline.  Similarly, the drama moves up the scene where she follows him to the shower because she wants to spend more time with him -- really, worth reading in the book because it's a lot more suggestive.  I mean, she's pregnant now and he's checking out all the changes in her body.  He also spends his nights now trying to control himself when they share a bed and ends up not sleeping ever.  (Qin Xiaonan even tries to suggest that LYC share his bed for the time being, ha!)  Anyway, that scene where they're in bed and GX tells him that she's only ever loved him and says she regrets breaking up with him - that also happens at this point in the book.  LYC promises to marry her within the month.

Except... he then gets sent on a last minute assignment to a remote place near Kunming.  Although he disappears, he does manage to return once to complete their marriage registration.  I think she's around 3-4 months pregnant when that finally happens.  And then he has to return to his remote assignment where he's now joined by a few people he'd served with in Inner Mongolia, including Qin Mingyu.  

When GX is 7 months pregnant, LYC requests time off to see her one more time before she gives birth, but his request is denied.  GX then decides to visit him - he protests this idea, but she doesn't really give him any choice when she shows up in Kunming.  Rather than taking a plane, she rented a van and drove the long distance to see him with a coworker - this is where the Duan Rou character is introduced in the book and she ends up hitting things off with Qin Mingyu.  

After GX leaves, LYC submits a request to return to Beijing the week leading up to her birth.  This time his request is granted because his superiors recognize that it's because of him that the people from Inner Mongolia had been able to be mobilized to assist him in Kunming and because the reason given for his request is his wife is having a baby.  However, before he can take his leave, there's an unexpected incident where he's currently working which results in Qin Mingyu getting severely injured (fortunately, he survives and recovers completely).  In the early hours of that morning, after Qin Mingyu's surgery is completed, he calls GX from the hospital and they chat.  He then returns to the work site that afternoon only to be sent on a whole different operation - this time to Myanmar.  He has only enough time to send GX a text message before leaving and warn that they won't be able to talk for the next few days.  

Meanwhile, over in Beijing, GX's thyroid levels had been high the entirety of her pregnancy and after her latest lab test, Xu Yao (that doctor friend, whom she loaned money to) grows concerned and decides to admit her to the hospital that same day since she's living at home with only Qin Xiaonan for company and is going to have the baby soon.  (Qin Xiaonan is then sent to Xu Yao's home to stay with his wife.)  That night, or so, her dad comes to find her at the hospital and tells her that in the morning, she'll fly with him to Kunming because something has happened to LYC.  Given her advanced state of pregnancy, Xu Yao accompanies them on the trip.

By the time the plane lands in Kunming the next morning, GX starts having contractions.  She holds out long enough to see LYC and then goes into delivery where she periodically asks whether he's woken up.  He still hasn't woken up by the time the baby is born, but by the next morning, he does and they get to visit and she tells him they had a daughter who looks like him.  

...I could go on but that's already probably more of a detailed answer than you were hoping for when you asked your one question!  MBFB has moved around a lot of things and changed a few things here and there for the drama script, so I don't know how much of this will be included in the drama.  But I do know I've seen clips from the drama where GX has her head next to LYC's while he's lying in a hospital bed so I would hazard to say at least some of what I've written above will.  

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

My Fanfics

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! @themarchioness, you are the best! 

heart.gif

That is everything and I'm so excited for them. I love how compassionate all of them are towards each other and their work. Even the way they take care of Qin Xiao Nan. Although, I have to laugh sometimes when they are being so sweet to each other knowing he's in the house. In episode 19, I thought they forgot to feed him because it showed Gui Xiao eating everything Lu Yan Chen made, but didn't show Qin Xiao Nan eating with them. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

In episode 19, I thought they forgot to feed him because it showed Gui Xiao eating everything Lu Yan Chen made, but didn't show Qin Xiao Nan eating with them.

I was totally waiting for the moment where the camera would pan out to show him wretching in the background from all their lovey-dovey sweetness.  The drama got there eventually but I wanted to see more of his reaction, haha!  I do love the way he and LYC pick on each other.  

Episode 19 was full of sweetness. I think I watched the episode with a sappy smile on my face the entire time.

• Like 2

My Fanfics

49 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I was totally waiting for the moment where the camera would pan out to show him wretching in the background from all their lovey-dovey sweetness.  The drama got there eventually but I wanted to see more of his reaction, haha!  I do love the way he and LYC pick on each other.  

hahaha he roll his eyes at them....and shudder hahahaha...however honestly i really kinda like this ready made family they have....both GX and her friends have a way with the child.....and im really glad both are willing to give him a home that he deserve and also tell him that whatever happen between the parent had nothing to do with him, more like its the adult business so let them tackle it themselves

really love how GX and LYC trying to breach it together, both giving each ample of spaces and how both trying to make this 2nd chance better

• Like 3
6 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

really love how GX and LYC trying to breach it together, both giving each ample of spaces and how both trying to make this 2nd chance better

@NiteWalker , 🌹 .. if they stick with the book, which seems likely then it's because Gui Xiao was dealing with familial issues of her own, namely her parents divorce. her father was cheating on her mother at the time and since he's in the military (as was her mother but she was an interpreter).  I guess, all the longing and emotions were finally released. Lu Yan Chen can learn from his mistakes— and when Gui Xiao gives him a second opportunity, she allows him to demonstrate this. it's practical and saves emotional energy, during training he didn't have access to his phone or had bad reception. she got tired of it. when he finally couldn't wait any longer and kissed her, I literally swoon and had happy tears. I just wish it had been longer.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2023 at 3:38 PM, wink_ said:

@NiteWalker , 🌹 .. if they stick with the book, which seems likely then it's because Gui Xiao was dealing with familial issues of her own, namely her parents divorce. her father was cheating on her mother at the time and since he's in the military (as was her mother but she was an interpreter).  I guess, all the longing and emotions were finally released. Lu Yan Chen can learn from his mistakes— and when Gui Xiao gives him a second opportunity, she allows him to demonstrate this. it's practical and saves emotional energy, during training he didn't have access to his phone or had bad reception. she got tired of it. when he finally couldn't wait any longer and kissed her, I literally swoon and had happy tears. I just wish it had been longer.

both were young....both did mistakes left and right....

LYC has his own loads of problem and responsibilities to shoulder and also he is a man of a few words....GX also had her own share of problem and when proper communication isnt done....that what we get a broken relationship...

however its nice to see that two person who really love each other is given another go at their relationship and also to make it happen this times for the better...

• Heart Eyes 3

i really like this drama....its wasnt anything up and down...its was a smooth ride from the beginning to the end...it was a slow burn at the beginning when both GX and LYC at odds with each other from the break up....however when slowly both drawn together and got back together we get all the lovey dovey for all we wanted hahaha...this is also the first drama i seen with so many kisses in between hahahhaa....

well today is the last episode for the VIP

• Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
39 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

this is the drama with so much kisses that i lose counts, however he is definitely gentle with her and only her

I love the way LYC looks at her and the way he smiles every time he sees GX.  It's like he's falling in love with her each and every time.  

Well done, JB!  Which is why I totally cannot imagine what this drama would have been like if they'd casted RJL instead.  I'm so glad MBFB stepped in and said something.  I'm sure it's nothing personal against RJL.  After all, he was casted in her last project.  But I agree with her that JB definitely looks more the part for the LYC character.

Ren Jialun Was Supposed To Be The Male Lead In Road Home - Chinese Drama World

• Haha 2
  • Star Struck 1

My Fanfics

26 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I love the way LYC looks at her and the way he smiles every time he sees GX.  It's like he's falling in love with her each and every time.  

Well done, JB!  Which is why I totally cannot imagine what this drama would have been like if they'd casted RJL instead.  I'm so glad MBFB stepped in and said something.  I'm sure it's nothing personal against RJL.  After all, he was casted in her last project.  But I agree with her that JB definitely looks more the part for the LYC character.

Ren Jialun Was Supposed To Be The Male Lead In Road Home - Chinese Drama World

as much as i love seeing RJL with TSY again.....definitely like wise i couldnt imagine RJL as the macho image of a special task officer.....i mean there were an image side by sides of BJT with JBR, tell me who you prefer **ahem**

oh i love both to be honest however if you ask me to pick...i definitely say JBR fit the image of a task force officer more...look at the rest of the team....while not dashing in the looks departments, they still make it up with their built which really fit the image for all the better 

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
22 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i mean there were an image side by sides of BJT with JBR, tell me who you prefer **ahem**

oh i love both to be honest however if you ask me to pick...i definitely say JBR fit the image of a task force officer more...

Haha, same, same!  In fact, in that recent scene where JB was on the shooting range (and looking mighty fine), I was reminded of a very similar sort of scene in YAMH where BJT was also lying on the ground with his legs splayed for a shooting competition and thought to myself, "Sorry, BJT... I think your friend is hotter in this moment."  LOL.  

I suspect BJT would secretly agree.  While waiting for new eps, I've been going back and rewatching Season 6 of Go Fridge where JB and BJT guested.  Those are some fun eps!  Really ship that friendship.  

Anyway, all that said, it's all a matter of personal taste and one of my friends recently told me JB/LYC wasn't quite her taste and she actually preferred BJT's looks.  To each their own!  

(And to clarify. I do like BJT a lot, too!  In fact, I find him quite compelling in the dramas I've watched him in and he always manages to steal my heart... but on a comparison level... hehehehe.)

• Haha 2

My Fanfics

8 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Haha, same, same!  In fact, in that recent scene where JB was on the shooting range (and looking mighty fine), I was reminded of a very similar sort of scene in YAMH where BJT was also lying on the ground with his legs splayed for a shooting competition and thought to myself, "Sorry, BJT... I think your friend is hotter in this moment."  LOL.  

AHEM.....**cough cough** hahahaha....honestly...all the guys in the task force are simply HOT!!!

9 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I suspect BJT would secretly agree.  While waiting for new eps, I've been going back and rewatching Season 6 of Go Fridge where JB and BJT guested.  Those are some fun eps!  Really ship that friendship

same it kinda pop up again in my youtube when i open it.....lols

9 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Anyway, all that said, it's all a matter of personal taste and one of my friends recently told me JB/LYC wasn't quite her taste and she actually preferred BJT's looks.  To each their own!  

yes no argument there....'Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder' after all....i remember i saw a tweet that people said TSY isnt pretty...i said the same to the person....i wont go arguing with the person who claim TSY isnt pretty....to me she is pretty so enough hahaha

and your friend most probably prefer BJT built hehehe...however **ahem** give me JBR pls.... :cool:

however BJT was really good in that series then :)

• Like 1