Fireworks of My Heart 我的人间烟火 [2023]

spacer.pngTitle 我的人間煙火

Also known as  我的人間煙火 , Wo De Ren Jian Yan Hou , Waiting for you in my city , 一座城,在等你

English Title : My Fireworks on Earth / Fireworks of My Heart

Genre : Romance / Action

Director : Li Mu Ge

Screenwriter : Xu Su

Episodes : 40

Broadcast Network : MangoTV and iQIYI 

Broadcast Period : July 5th, 2023

CAST :

Yang Yang as Song Yan

Wang Chu Ran as Xu Qin

SYNOPSIS :

Fire chief Song Yan and emergency doctor Xu Qin were separated by family opposition when they were younger. Now ten years later they meet again due to their professions. After experiencing life and death situations together, they manage to find their way back to each other, working together and encouraging each other. They both see that they have grown and changed a lot in the years apart, but will they be able to overcome the obstacles in their path this time?

Additional Links

Weibo l Douban l Baidu

• Like 3

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@themarchioness I binged eight episodes last night for Binbin. :laugh:

I don't know if I'll continue this, because it's a lot more angsty than I originally thought. Parts of it reminds me of Road Home (maybe the separation part). Not going to lie, the step brother is so creepy, I skipped a lot of his scenes. :pandacop:

• Like 2

@Tofu It's definitely not a rom-com that's for sure!  It's more of a romance drama category.  I love the angst, though!  The emotions.  The pulls.  Ugh, it gets my heart.  I love it, haha!  But as angsty as this first part is where they're reconnecting, once the FL learns what really happened in the past and they move on with their futures together - in the book, at least, it's not angsty at all.  It's sweet.  I appreciate their devotion to each other.  

The ZBB addition was great.  (His character exists in the book, but not in any meaningful capacity so the drama really expands on it and gives him life.)  I loooved his bromance with YY!!!  Gonna miss him.

As for the adoptive brother, well, he disapproves of the ML and he's got feelings for her so he's extra protective - especially against the competition.  Ultimately, he cares for her, he would never harm her and someone she cares about, so he won't do anything untoward against the ML, and he'll see the light.  I actually feel bad for both the FL and the adoptive brother because the mom.  She's the real creep!  Yeesh! 

• Like 3

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

The mom is on another level, but the dad is what surprised me most. He is the approachable one and sees the wrong his wife is doing, but he doesn't do/say anything about it. I feel bad for the FL and step-brother. There has to be so much pressure having parents like that.

The ending of episode 10! That was really intense, but I'm glad that they are having a different kind of conversation. I was kind of getting tired of watching them have the same conversation and not getting anywhere. With the FL getting drunk, one of them is finally honest and open with their feelings. 

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Gonna miss him.

Me too! I do have to say that I wished his fiancé was a bit more supportive of him. I understand where she's coming from as it seems like she's been waiting for him for a long time, but how she communicated that really bothered me. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

The mom is on another level, but the dad is what surprised me most. He is the approachable one and sees the wrong his wife is doing, but he doesn't do/say anything about it.

Right?  On the surface one could look at the adoptive dad and think, well, at least he's kind towards the FL and treats her nicely as compared to the adoptive mom.  But really, look one layer deeper, and we can see how he's not any better.  The mom is outwardly controlling and emotionally abusive, but the dad is negligent through absenteeism.  He knows his wife is in the wrong but would rather keep the peace and so lets her continue on and the price of that is his children's mental health and well-being.  I really quite dislike her adoptive parents. 

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

The ending of episode 10! That was really intense, but I'm glad that they are having a different kind of conversation. I was kind of getting tired of watching them have the same conversation and not getting anywhere. With the FL getting drunk, one of them is finally honest and open with their feelings. 

Me too.  I thought the actress did a great job with that scene.  And I think that scene tells us a lot, too, about the ML's character because he would rather let her stay ignorant about the past to protect her from the truth about her family, with himself as the sacrifice.  How does one's heart not bleed for the both of them?? 

As for ZBB's fiancée... that is such a hard one.  You want to believe she'll stand by him regardless, but as he recognized, it'd been so many years already and she'd done a lot for him and his family without any sort of recognition or status... at a certain point, from her perspective, she's just being strung along and losing her youth and other opportunities if this isn't going to work out.  I have a hard time blaming her, to be honest.  At the same time given how things did turn out for Suo Jun, I'm glad she came back so that he didn't end up with nothing.  I think this incident will make them appreciate each other more and they will have a happy future together.  I also hope that he and Song Yan will be able to reunite in the future because they had the best bromance!!!

• Like 3

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

SY was so honest with his feelings too. I'm glad this happened now and the drama didn't drag it on. I hope she becomes more brave and says f--k it to her family and start a new family with SY. 

I laughed when ZBB's broken arm moved. LOL!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@SilverMoonTea He looks frustrated most of the time. :lmao2:

On 7/8/2023 at 12:21 AM, themarchioness said:

I really quite dislike her adoptive parents. 

They have this mentality like she owes them for adopting her -- that she should be grateful and do everything they ask her to do. This family is so possessive and constantly gaslighting her -- what broken family?! How does loving someone break the family? The family must already be broken if something like that is enough to "destroy the family". :PikachuFacePalm:

Have you noticed that SY is becoming softer with her? 

Enjoyed this scene of YY and his firefighters too. I loved that he complimented them. :heart:

FOMH-05.gif

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tofu said:

They have this mentality like she owes them for adopting her -- that she should be grateful and do everything they ask her to do. This family is so possessive and constantly gaslighting her -- what broken family?! How does loving someone break the family? The family must already be broken if something like that is enough to "destroy the family".

That mom... that mom is the worst.  I mean, you have one child likening herself to a beast raised by a trainer and the other child likens himself to a butterfly that's dissected while still alive to preserve perfection.  If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does!  

One of my friends asked how come they didn't sing "Happy Birthday" when they were celebrating the brother's birthday and I was like, uh... I don't think they know how to celebrate Joy.  LOL.  Instead, the birthday discussion launched into how much the mother labored to give birth to him but she didn't regret it because he never disappointed her, never gave her trouble, never worried her, and never made any mistakes -- from any other parent those would sound like loving words.  From this mother?  It's like each "compliment" was a warning - don't you disappoint me, don't you give me trouble, don't you not listen to me, don't you make mistakes.  You could practically see the bullet sweats from his oppressed smile.  

Suffice to say, I really hate the mom.  Haha!  

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

Yes!!!  I love it.  The bee sting scene was hilarious, but I really loved when he brought her coffee.  That was a great talk.  

I know some people have been complaining that these are filler eps, but I actually like that the drama is taking the time to show us how they got to be where they are currently, how they're developing themselves currently, as that will lay the foundation for the next stage in their story.  Her chasing after him was great in that it brought them back into each other's spheres, but it wasn't productive either in the sense that she still has to figure out what she wants and whether she's going to go after it.  So it's good they're in this chill down moment and now they can rebuild that relationship as adults.  

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

Enjoyed this scene of YY and his firefighters too. I loved that he complimented them

It was really sweet how he said the only thing he wanted after each mission was to know that the roster was complete - forget the exact words, but we know he meant that everyone would still be alive.  He really cares for his underlings. 

Another highlight from today's ep was that convo between SY and MYC outside the hospital.  Way to call out the brother on his secret feelings for XQ!  

• Like 2

My Fanfics

On 7/10/2023 at 8:09 PM, Tofu said:

I have indeed!

I love that after she did her drunk confession that it seemed to have awakened something in SY. He's not as distant with her as he was before; he's actively letting her into his space now and enjoying when she's there (even if he does pretend otherwise)

As much as I'm dying for them to hash it out and get together, I do really love seeing them grow together again as adults. 

Having not read the novel before watching, sometimes the show is a little too vague with the snippets of their past but tbh, I just want them to treat the past as water under the bridge and I'm hoping the symbolism in episode 16 means we're going to do just that. :wow:

• Like 2

MDL                  Currently Watching: Hidden Love, Fireworks of My Heart, Erkenci Kus, King the Land

spacer.png

Today's episodes (17 & 18) were the best!!!!  So fun, so flirty, and not just from the mains but the supporting cast as well.  I kept alternating between laughter and sighs of adoration.  

On 7/11/2023 at 11:36 PM, Phikyl said:

Having not read the novel before watching, sometimes the show is a little too vague with the snippets of their past but tbh, I just want them to treat the past as water under the bridge and I'm hoping the symbolism in episode 16 means we're going to do just that

I think we're going to continue to get past flashbacks sprinkled throughout and over time the whole story of the past will tell itself.  Hang in there!

• Like 2

My Fanfics

On 7/11/2023 at 10:36 PM, Phikyl said:

I love that after she did her drunk confession that it seemed to have awakened something in SY. He's not as distant with her as he was before; he's actively letting her into his space now and enjoying when she's there (even if he does pretend otherwise)

Yes! I think both of their confessions (her drunken one and his when he's at her apartment) really helped resolved the bit of resentment they have been carrying toward each other. 

On 7/11/2023 at 1:57 AM, themarchioness said:

Another highlight from today's ep was that convo between SY and MYC outside the hospital.  Way to call out the brother on his secret feelings for XQ!  

Haha! I laughed when SY said something along the lines of not trying to control someone else when he (MYC) can't even control himself. It's good for SY to be more upfront and honest with how he's feeling when it comes to her family. 

I haven't watched episode 17 and 18 yet. I won't get to watch much of this drama until next week, but I love knowing that it's going to be fun. I'm excited to see more of the collaboration between the hospital and the firestation. 

• Party! 1

SOME SPOILERS UP TO EPISODE 20

I see a lot of comments under the videos about the female lead being spineless and it's really irritating me tbh. I feel like there's a lot of nuance to Xu Qin that people aren't picking up on because they're so focused on what THEY would do if they were in her shoes; completely ignoring the fact that this has been completely in line with her character. I haven't read the book (yet) but I'm hoping that a large part of Xu Qin's growth arc is learning to stand up to her family and fight for what she wants; which in this case is Song Yan.

It doesn't help that she was adopted as an older child so she likely already felt like an outcast and it's clear her 'mother' isn't the type to make her children feel loved and like they belong, no matter what.

Throughout the series we've seen signs of OCD in the FL and I think a lot of that is because she feels as though nothing in her life is by her choice/under her control. Even her job in the hospital is under her mother's control as we saw when the mother makes one phone call and suddenly the joint task force is disbanded. I don't think it's too far fetched to think that her mother would pull strings to get her to lose her job if necessary.

In my opinion, FL is struggling between the love of her life and losing her family; because that's what it comes down to for her. It's been stated several times that if she chooses to be with Song Yan, then she will not be part of the Meng family anymore. From what I know, asian culture in general is really big on filial duty, so it's not like in other cultures where it's not considered a big deal to cut off your toxic family.

As for the speech that XQ made about certain jobs, I understand what she was trying to convey with that and I think SY was struggling with his feelings for her at the time so he misconstrued what she was trying to say. I hope XQ starts to advocate for better compensation for firefighters in the future but I don't think that's something the drama is really going to touch. 

• Like 3

MDL                  Currently Watching: Hidden Love, Fireworks of My Heart, Erkenci Kus, King the Land

spacer.png

@Phikyl, well said!  You know you're preaching to the choir over here.  It's been so frustrating reading the tear down of XQ's character online and the general lack of empathy people have shown towards her.  I've said it before, I'll say it again -- people, go back and watch the episode where SJ saved the suicidal girl from the office building.  Did we learn nothing about how careless words from bystanders can affect a person??? 

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

My Fanfics

I'm finally trying to catch up on all the episodes I missed when I was on a trip. :CharmanderYay:

That grocery scene in episode 20, the metaphor with the junk food....well done, Song Yan. I just love seeing him not give a sh-t for the brother. They are so controlling. 

I don't think the FL is spineless, but I do hope she becomes more assertive towards her family like the version we see of her at the hospital. 

--- just watched the scene with the mother and SY....ahh! She's so...I don't think I have a word to describe what I think of her. :pandadisgusted:

• Party! 1
17 minutes ago, Tofu said:

--- just watched the scene with the mother and SY....ahh! She's so...I don't think I have a word to describe what I think of her. :pandadisgusted:

She's the worst!  And I fear we're only going to see even worse from her in the coming episodes... because FL will start to take a stand now that she has chosen to be with SY again. 

I loved the earthquake arc. I thought it was done so well; in some ways, better than in the book.  And Eps 25 & 26 were such sweet rewards for what the drama put us through in its first half.  I can't stop smiling.  It's too sweet.  

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

My Fanfics

52 minutes ago, Tofu said:

I'm hoping to catch up with everyone soon so I can see their sweeter moments. 

Hurry hurry! We need you to gush with us! :wow:

The episodes today were the best! I was telling @themarchioness that I was worried about what's going to happen roughly 3 eps from now (following typical drama pattern) because I was enjoying this sweetness so much!

I really, really want to read the book now too but I'm trying really hard to hold off until the drama is over so that I can watch and enjoy without any expectations. This is so good that it's really testing my patience though! I even struggle to focus at work after lunch because I watch an ep during my lunch and then think about it the rest of the afternoon. 

• Like 1

spacer.png